Comments By LDRSHIP

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0717822001567823761-62984.jpg avatar
  • LDRSHIP
  • Comments:

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime PSD training, from a trainer's perspective.

Congrats on your student passing, Turtle. Like Rick said, on to your next victim, lol

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

BTW, is Bison keeping the Wolding name?

Yes, they are keeping the Wolding name. Just like they did with Britton Transport years ago when they bought them.

Energy drinks

Monster Java.. mmm. The Irish Cream flavor. Tastes oh so good. I don’t drink them for a boost. Just really love the taste!

New look!

02 and 90 are primes macro numbers. 02 is your loaded call and 90 is arrival to Consignee. I am sure all the Primates will correct me if I am wrong.

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

Well, my walk on the ‘darkside’ May be over before it really got started. I’m seriously considering going back to Wolding. I don’t want to discuss the current circumstances. But, I may be back in a blue Cascadia soon.

Like they say, it is all fun n games until.......

Drive Safe everyone and God Speed!

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

I'd be interested to know if you find you're being inspected by the DOT more frequently than when you were with Wolding. It isn't too often i see a mega being Inspected, but instead see them with small companies or O/O. I'm sure not every small company has to put off repairs due to lack of money but maybe that's why they seem to focus on the smaller carriers.

Some small companies actually pull into a scale and ask for an inspection. The only way to lower your sca score is getting clean inspections. The more clean inspections the less impact a bad one makes.

My first 45 days as a truck driver

Yesterday was my record since going solo. 676 miles (plus another 48 after midnight)

Awesome, way to go.

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

LOL c'mon you sure you don't want to share any hypothetical circumstances?

rofl-2.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-2.gifrofl-3.gifsmile.gif

Since we are talking purely hypothetically here.

Hypothetically speaking, let’s say I have a day where I don’t get much done, do to whatever circumstances. If I have the time on the preceding or following day, I shift everything done that day to another and give myself a 34hr reset. All hypothetical and all. Purely speculative.

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

I’m not offended Bruce, hence the LoL after. I was just saying it was hitting a little close is all.

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

I'm so new to trucking it hurts, but I have to ask in all respect and sincerity - is this Satire? You paint a very bleak picture, any upsides?

No TX, I am being very serious. I want to show the truth, no sugar coating, no mincing words, no holding back. It is how it is!

Upsides, the upside is unadulterated education. I do get paid more working for a small company, but that comes with additional risks.

To answer the question about creative logbooking. Well, um.... I guess I kinda explained that in the other thread. I will be blunt. I can edit EVERY single line on my log. I can edited any way I want as often I want. I guess that is about as blunt as I need to get. I don’t think you need examples. Well, ‘Nuff said.

Drive Safe and God Speed

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

Bruce, of course I have an exit plan if things goes south. It is called going back to Wolding. I left on great terms with an open invitation back, any time.

Btw, the afford a tire is not funny, kinda stings, lol

Anyways, I think you're in a great position because you're more exposed to being an o/o than a company driver without incurring risk. I wish I had that opportunity but i went out there full throttle . Stay safe out there.

I am in a position to peak inside. Boss man doesn’t hide anything. From how much his insurance costs to seeing the brokers note with rate confirmation. I actually look at receipts now and how much something costs.

What I learn here will be the basis if I decide to scratch an itch or not.

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

Do you book your own loads? Or do you have a load planner/dispatcher?

What boards do you use?

The owner “da boss” books our loads. He is our dispatcher, load coordinator, fueling department, pretty much most departments. Although he does have a partner and she handles more of the paperwork of stuff. IFTA, permits, registration, etc....

I do have a free load board I peak at from time to time. If I find a good load on there, he will give it a call. Sometimes I do call myself to verify the rate before I pass it on to him. Eventually, he may let me start booking my own loads. Once he gets the one tractor back up and running though, that a fill in destroyed. He already said, any driver he is thinking about hiring will spend a week with me on the road. I guess then, I will become the training department, lol.

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

I don't think new drivers will know what questions to ask, but I thought you made a great start yesterday in a different conversation when you were talking about the condition of your truck and why you weren't able to get it fixed properly. At the major carriers a driver can take the truck to the shop and they'll keep it in brand new condition, no questions asked. Talk a little bit about what it's like working for a company that can't afford to fix its trucks and the burden they put on the drivers to deal with it themselves.

Got told by the Boss that next home time the air dryer is gonna get replaced. He is not sure about being able to get a new or even a new to him air compressor. Like I said anything that can be jury rigged and fixed by the driver it is encouraged. Anything to save a buck. Maybe once freight rates go back up, more things can get fixed.

Duct tape, Bungee Cords, Safety Wire, zip ties are all good things to keep a ready supply of.

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

These are old trucks. TBH, a fast one was pulled on the company owner when he bought this truck. The people claimed it was a 2012 Glider from Fitzgerald. In reality it is a 2008 that had the engine swapped out in 2012 by Fitzgerald. It is not a true glider. It is actually a production model Coronado. This truck probably originally came with a 14L with DEF. since 12.7L stopped production after 2006. Fitzgerald probably just put a 12.7L in and removed all of the DEF components.

As far as my pay, I actually make more here than I did at Wolding. Yes the truck is worn out, yes we are given some loads with delivery schedules that are impossible without creating logbooking. Yes, the old saying rings true about if your out of hours, you must be new. I am by no means running to death. But, creative logbooking is highly encouraged.

With rates being down, boss man is having a rough go. I was asked to not run the tank down and fill it all the way up as he can’t afford a $1000 fuel bill. Basically don’t fill up more than $500 at a time. We have EZ Pass, but boss man asking to avoid tolls as much as possible. There is no type of accessorial pay unless a broker pays it. Trying to get detention out of a broker is like trying to wring blood from a turnip. You are better off holding your breath and waiting for Haley’s comet to come back.

As I said before any questions, feel free to ask. I will be as forthright as possible.

Names and dates may be changed to protect the guilty, lol

embarrassed.gif

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

Does your company have dedicated customers or are you running the spot market? If you are doing spot, have you heard anything from them about how bad the rates are right now, or if it's getting better? Tia.

Purely spot market thru brokers. Rates are in the toilet right now, with no anticipation of them returning to the level of last year. Reefer Freight is barely grabbing $1.50 a mile on average. There are some loads paying up around $2 a mile, but it is right time, right place scenarios.

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

Instead of hijacking others threads. Here is a chance to get a glimpse. I went to the polar opposite of the big, well established companies that have been in the trucking game for decades. I am working for a small upstart company that has been running big trucks for less than a year.

So fire away? I will answer honestly to questions. Only thing to really offer. The Truth.

DISCLAIMER: I agree whole heartedly that a rookie has no business trying to work for a small upstart or becoming an O/O. There is a reason most small trucking require a few YEARS of experience.

So let’s take a peak inside Pandora’s box and take a walk on the darkside.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Trucker reportedly forced to alter log book before crash awarded $80 million!

I should clarify, but the grey area mainly applies to OTR positions. Hourly or even your situation with Walmart doesn’t apply as strictly. Mainly when at shippers and receivers, how many of us show the required amount of time then go off duty/sleeper berth. Nvm if we have to reposition on the customers property. So much is done while off duty/sleeper berth. That is the grey area I’m referring to.

I never said how to not connect to the device. Keep Trucking GPS unit uses a Bluetooth connection to your phone or tablet. ‘Nuff said.

You are right, a rookie would not work for a company like I work for. They have no business doing it. One little rookie hiccup and it is job over.

Yes, with the Omnitracs, PeopleNet and other services that use a QualComm or other devices it is usually hard wired into the truck. If you try to mess with it you will get caught. But many of the very small companies and O/Os can’t afford such expensive services and devices. They use devices and services such as Keep Trucking. They often connect to your smart phone or an off the shelf tablet.

How about this.

DISCLAIMER: Brand new Rookies have no place or should even attempt working for a small trucking company. There is a reason most require 2-3 years of experience first.

That being said, the truth of the matter is that the game of Smokey and the Bandit is still going strong, even in today’s age of ELDs.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Trucker reportedly forced to alter log book before crash awarded $80 million!

You want a truth of a small company that has been in business barely 6 months in the trucking world. Here goes.

If you don’t, the boss don’t get paid. If he don’t get paid, you’re not getting fuel or a paycheck.

Here some more. The truck I have has 4 oil leaks, 1 of which is the air compressor dumping oil into the air system. It has ruined the air dryer, so now oil and water are in the air tanks. I have air leaks, my bunk A/C don’t work. But can any of that get fixed? Not right now, because another truck lost 3 injectors. That was priority so it can get moving down the road. As long as my truck is still rolling it is gonna have to be make do. So I need to stop a couple times a day and drain my air tanks dry to get rid of the buildup of oil and water. So some relief valve doesn’t stick open and I lose all my air.

If it doesn’t stop you from rolling down the road, it doesn’t get fixed until it is convenient and the funds are available. Everything is a balancing, tight rope act. I fix what I can, when I can with what I can.

I am sorry if I offended some of you with the truth. It is Trucking. I’m definitely not suggesting anybody do what I am doing. Especially not a rookie. This has been an eye opening experience. Reality is far different than theory in a perfect world.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Trucker reportedly forced to alter log book before crash awarded $80 million!

At a large carrier that is using QualComms, PeopleNet, etc... sure. But the owner ops and small companies... different story. Production is all that matters. Since the majority of the trucking world is small company / owner ops... just saying.

REALLY! Production is all that matters?? Just F#&k Safety, Laws, Rules and Regulation??? WOW, REALLY!! Unbelievable comment Patrick. Where did this attitude come from all of the sudden. I thought Moderators on this site were held to a higher standard.

confused.gifwtf.gif

Again, I am stating the facts of things. If you don’t believe me, go work for a small 3-8 truck operation. Sure safety matters. Don’t smash their equipment, they can’t afford to replace it. Shy of that........ I am just being realistic and honest. Last time I checked, this was called Trucking Truth. Not Trucking Politically Correct.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Trucker reportedly forced to alter log book before crash awarded $80 million!

LDRSHIP persists...

Cheat with Impunity

You think that’s okay?

Considering the charter of this forum is to teach and coach Newbies, how is any of what you wrote relevant to them or even useful?

We do not advocate O/O (especially for a rookie), but advise going to work for carriers offering Paid CDL Training Programs. We also consistently reinforce conducting truck driving business within the laws and governance of HOS rules. What exactly are you advocating here?

You are a Moderator of this forum and IMO have an unwritten responsibility to uphold that charter.

Just sayin’

Did I once say that I edit my logs everyday? I said it IS possible. Have I ever fudged. No worse than Brett has ever done. He admits to it as well. I am NOT advocating to go do it. I am merely pointing out it is STILL a possibility. It can and does still happen. It really is that simple. I am not advocating for it. Do what one’s own conscious allows.

Everyone who is productive even with tightly controlled ELDs works in a grey area often.