Comments By Dan E.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-snow.jpg avatar
  • Dan E.
  • Comments:

Company and CDL questions

I am a dog lover also and have researched this. Wil-Trans has a 3 heartbeat rule and will allow the wife and dog after a certain point of you showing the ability to operate safely on your own. They seem like a great company and the recruiter I have talked with was excellent.

That I-80 video that was posted from Wyoming really shook me up.

Be safe my friend. I would rather have people angrily honking horns and passing me than to be involved in something like that. A couple of drivers impressed me especially the Walmart driver. That was scary and I will definitely have a CB from day 1.

That I-80 video that was posted from Wyoming really shook me up.

The sounds of those trucks crashing one after another was tough to watch and to listen to. I can't understand why so many drivers were traveling that fast in those conditions. Are there that many dangerous drivers on the road driving trucks?

This video should be shown in driving school to every new driver IMO. Unbelievable that so many more weren't killed. God was watching out for some of those people that day.

Wyoming I-80 Crash While it Happens

Blinding conditions and icy roads lead to a gigantic wreck on I-80 in Wyoming in 2015

Flatbed really interests me but is it a bad idea for a greenhorn?

George I wasn't implying that you weren't cut out for the job and I appreciate all replies including yours. I was just questioning why if you hate your job do you continue to do it? Your reply gave me a negative vibe but that's ok I appreciate the honesty. Every job has people that hate it and people who love it but I come from a place where I truly need a change. I have done the research and I understand that it will be a challenge but I think this is for me. I am excited to get a chance at trucking. Sounds like you do take some pride in the job that you do and that is a good thing.

Flatbed really interests me but is it a bad idea for a greenhorn?

Well now.....I am a flatbed driver and am nearing my one year mark. I started with one of the flatbed companies, Melton, and they did a good job in teaching me the basics.......but after six months I parted ways.........Realize that all flatbed companies that hire greenhorns and experienced drivers have an approximately 2% retention rate after six months. This applies to drivers with experience and newly minted CDL holders. TMC, Melton, and the others all run their programs from the same playbook. The pay is generally around .41 cents to start and goes up from there.....They offer insurance, retirement and other benefits. Currently I work for a small company (2 trucks) and have no benefits from them but I get 35% of the rate. I belong to TVC Pro Driver Inc......they will insure you for $49 dollars a month which includes your spouse......not too shabby for the "bronze" package, other insurance companies wanted close to $800 a month...ouch! They also will fight your tickets and scale violations unlike your parent company. They have other benefits you can check it out on your own........I am not selling them I am just telling you what I did so that I could afford health insurance....as mandated by the government..........You need to protect yourself because sure a shiat your parent company will gladly sacrifice you for themselves.......If I worked at a large company I would take their insurance as well as TVC....just my two cents.

The work can be difficult, and the learning curve steep...I have found that when I got into trouble that other flatbed drivers were willing to help....including the remarks...lol.....ok not all will, but most will, if you have the spirit of helping others then it will demonstrate what trucking is all about.

What I wish I had when I started:...my own truck GPS, (Qualcomms not always good plus a back up is nice when stuff goes wrong), a smart phone with blue tooth headset, A back up light for my cab.......why you may ask?....well when you are backing up into a dark bay with an inch of clearance on either side...and you cannot see ....,....the sun is shining in you eyes .....it is truly blind backing and I have seen drivers come in crooked and pop tires and what not......absolutely stupid when companies pay lip service to safety and will not equip a truck with a cab back up light....Yes, you will learn how to do it but every time is an adventure one can live without. Learn how to adjust your own brakes...it is easy and if you do it right your trailer brakes engage before your drives and your steers engage last....very safe that way........, You will have to buy your own spare fuses, bulbs and minor tools.......but in a pinch it beats sitting on the road for 3 hours waiting for someone to come along and get you going....plus the safety thing once again rears its head. BTW, if your headlamp goes out while you are driving and you do not stop and replace it, you can and will be stopped and ticketed even tho you were going to change it out at the next load check......DOT are not your friends.......a technique I have used it to drive with my hazards on until I could get to a place to do a change out. Flashlights, bring 3 or four of them.....they go bad easy, multiple pairs of gloves, coveralls, other things you will choose as you progress...........Another thing I would definitely consider in choosing a company is this....truck companies have come out with, in my opinion the most unsafe feature.....It is called a super single tire.......so instead of duals on the drives they use a single tire.......when the tire blow you damage the rim and tire.......the handling quality suffers. In wet, slick weather they are the worst...Duals are much safer and easier to control if you blow a tire....and yes you will blow a tire.....

If you like driving and working on a load...each one is different you will enjoy flatbed.....but be careful...do not hurry and hurt you back or shoulders etc........play safe and you will have a great adventure.....I know I have......

Doesn't seem like you are a good fit for this job. Why do you keep at it?

Flatbed really interests me but is it a bad idea for a greenhorn?

I have been around here for a while and I admit this reply is the one I most looked forward to. Thank you old school and your words have only inspired me more. I am going to need you for advice in the future and I know I will be able to count on you. Thanks again

Flatbed really interests me but is it a bad idea for a greenhorn?

Thanks G-Town I appreciate that. I have been around much longer than I have been posting messages and I am ready to do this. Been studying the high road and feel like I can ace those tests. I never considered TMC because their website doesn't include WV as a hiring area for their training program. I want to be a truck driver and I know that learning to drive a truck is tough in itself. Throw in load securement and I don't want to get in over my head. This TMC interest really excited me.

Flatbed really interests me but is it a bad idea for a greenhorn?

I have worked the past 20 years in the telecommunications industry. My job consists of handling and carrying a 95lb ladder on a regular basis working in all types of extreme weather here in WV. Crawling under houses, working in attics, driving a company pickup with no accidents, keeping customers happy, ect, ect. i love working with my hands and in my mind a physically demanding job is both mentally and physically healthy for me. TMC has shown interest in me and I feel like I am ready to make a move but I know nothing about trucking and don't want to make a bad decision right off the bat. Any input on this decision would be much appreciated.

Pet friendly

Take a look at Wil Trans. I know they allow up to two pets so they might not have a weight limit if you are just bringing one dog.

Happy Thanksgiving all. If anyone is in southern WV and nowhere to be you are welcome in my home.

I wish you all well and a happy Holliday.

A trucker overturned and died in WV yesterday.

Be safe people.

That is scary and was not in a difficult spot. An entrance ramp to I77 in Beckley. Actually 2 two rollovers in WV yesterday. I hate this stuff.

A trucker overturned and died in WV yesterday.

Play Station 4 in semi

Screw this. I don't need money that badly that I don't have a couple hours to myself. Thanks for the honest reply.

Dan asked?

So let me get this straight, you don't even have a couple hours to unwind during the day? The pay would have been an advancement for me but I am not willing to work every waking moment of every freaking day. Is that what you are saying is required?

Dan,...have you read this yet? Becoming A Truck Driver: The Raw Truth About Truck Driving

and this: Truck Driver's Career Guide

The hours a trucker works are not like anything you have ever experienced or can understand. There is time to unwind, but again off-duty time is for eating, showering and sleeping. We are required by law to break for 10 (simply put) hours before we can legally drive for 11 hours again.

My job is different than an OTR driver (like Sambo and Tractor Man). To put some perspective around this; I am on a dedicated account delivering to Walmart stores and Sam's Club,...anything less than a 12 hour day is infrequent, and yes, at times considered a blessing. However realize I actually want to be on-duty (working) for on average a minimum of 12 hours each day, otherwise it's likely money was left on the table. It's a balancing act. Once I log-out and off duty, eating and sleeping are the priority. Sleep is really important and part of our responsibility to be well rested, alert and ready to drive when the hours are available.

Play Station 4 in semi

I really don't think you will have much time for Video Games on the road. After you find time to eat and take a shower and use the restroom, you will barely have time to get 6 or 7 hours worth of sleep. At least that is my experience.

I am so disappointed that none of the good trucking companies hire CDL trainees in WV.

Did you need that hand holding? I know I would. Were you ready to do it alone after those hours?

Thanks guys for some thoughtful replies. After thinking about it on the flip side from a new perspective. I never put my life in another persons hands which is what I feel I would be doing if I slept in a truck while a stranger was driving. How can they pay you enough to put your lives on he line to train new guys? Seems like that would form a serious bond and I can't imagine how this would work out. I guess I have trust issues.

Dan E like it or not, your life as a trucker is in other people's hands all day long,...other drivers.

How would you suggest they train you? At least at Swift there is 50 hours of supervised hand-holding, after that, the next 150 hours of driving is team running.

I wanted to drive for Maverick, TMC, or Reohl, but you can't get company sponsored CDL training from those guys if you live in WV even though I watch multiple trucks from these companies drive up and down our interstates. I am disappointed that they can drive thru my state but not offer jobs to good candidates because we live here. That is bs IMO.

That is West Viginia. And the handful that do accept trainees require team driving during company training which is a deal breaker for me. I want to do this job but I want my trainer in the seat next to me. I don't want try to sleep while some stranger drives, and I don't want to drive while someone who should be training me sleeps. I guess that is the price of company paid CDL training.

Considering a new career

Been in the USAF for the past nine years, the past three as a dog handler. I'm pretty well burnt out with the way the military is going and looking for a change, don't worry fellow vets I wont be throwing 9 years away I'll go Guard or reserve to finish my time. Been looking for a new career and I continuously circle back to driving truck. Anyone care to give some insight on how it is nowadays? I haven't heard much since this is really the first time Ive asked about it. Any help would be much appreciated.

V/r Robert

interested in teaming? I am also about to step into this career.

Wil Trans CDL training

Anyone gone thru Will Trans company sponsored training or otherwise have driven for them at any point? They werent my first or second choice but it appears living in WV gives me very few options as far as company sponsored training. Interested in any feedback or opinions that I can get. Thanks