Comments By Pete B.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1BpQBNfq7bLXG8JRk86LMeW6C6nRnjUjQwZQfD2COanao5brjsRLGXV66gtfwi5sK2JO5KkGal2zOYo8-0KzqO450JbUwbl8cdZ8po0u3nIGWtC20dByC9HmGKH3lq0HhDhUrBU9-A=w886-h576-p-k avatar
  • Pete B.
  • Comments:

Previous Page Next Page

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

When you've spent too many days in Wyoming

Davy likes to run, not sit at docks being loaded and unloaded.. .

I don't know if Davy likes to run or not, I suspect he does, but I do know this would read a whole lot funnier if he had written it!

Posted:  5 months ago

Starting CDL School in two weeks, but I need a pre-hire letter.

CRST got out of driver training almost 2 years ago. Closed the Riverside, terminal dorms, leased a new smaller place in Ontario, Cal. and moved there. Gardner's, that they had bought, have changed their name, and took over the old terminal,and converting to more offices. Hell,they don't even want CRST drivers in there, even for a shower, or anything !! Now, CRST's only hiring experienced drivers.

Their "Expedited" part, which I was driving for, are no more as well. They've made,and have been making a lot of changes for awhile now, I've been told.

Geez, I forgot you worked for them... I should have consulted you first! Oops!

Posted:  5 months ago

New driver, got into an accident and need a new job

Apply everywhere. This is a good starting point: jobs page. I don't mean to contradict myself, but your chances are going to be slim; don't get discouraged, just keep applying. You didn't go into detail about your accident, and that's okay, but if/when a company contacts you, be humble, 100% honest, and own everything about your at-fault accident. My last piece of advice is this: go to Craigslist, zero in on whatever cities in the Midwest where you are able to work out of, and search the "transportation" jobs in those cities for CDL jobs. This is a bit risky, as many of these companies are going to be short on or lacking resources (assets, mechanics, benefits, equipment, etc.), but it might get you behind the wheel again, where after a year or three of spotless, clean driving, the doors closed to you now may open up again. Best of luck to you.

Posted:  5 months ago

Starting CDL School in two weeks, but I need a pre-hire letter.

Western Express, KLLM, CRST... try those. I realize you're just looking for pre-hire letters right now, but do you already have a job lined up providing you get your CDL? Best of luck!

Posted:  5 months ago

To take passengers with you- startup/apps

Olga, let's say you're going to drive across the country for a little sight-seeing or vacation... you going to let someone into your car for the trip just because they signed up on some app?!? And at night, you're o.k. with this person sleeping in the same room with you, only 2-3 feet away???? A complete stranger. Who you met on an app. Say it out loud, Olga. This might be the worst idea I've ever heard of. It's got NOTHING to do with insurance. It's about safety. And about the insurance... your app is going to provide the insurance for the rider(s) for free? Allz the rider(s) or driver has to do is sign up via the app, at no charge? Not bloody likely. I imagine a credit card and some personal information is going to be necessary to participate... all-in-all, sounds very dangerous, and a bit scammy...

Posted:  5 months ago

A New Truckers App from TT: What Would You Like To See?

I use Google Maps for long-distance trip planning, zeroing in on interstate routes first; however, Google Maps no longer easily identifies, at least on my device, the interstates. What I’d like to see is that familiar blue interstate symbol with the interstate number.

2. I’ve customized my Google Map by populating it with hearts; every time I drive past an unofficial or ‘off-the-record’ parking area, I quickly pull up Google Maps, locate the parking area, and save it with a heart and label it “parking.”

3. For the final mile I’ll use a combination of company-provided navi directions, sometimes Google Maps, and whenever provided, specific directions to delivery site provided in the work assignment. And at times I’ll just call my contact if I’m still unsure. I’ll use sheets of paper; I write big, sticky notes are just too small.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Trucking Concerns You Want the Govt ot Hear?

The 70-hr rule. I always found it counter-productive. After pre-trip, post-trip, and fueling hours are deducted from the day’s clock, that left you with only about 8 hrs drive time if you worked an even amount of time every day. I consider those… banker’s hours. If the 70-hr clock has to be, increasing the total hours from 70 to 80 would still leave me irritated with that rule, but it would be a little better.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Ex Pat returning home

Welcome Jason B. to the forum! About your situation, I'm not going to say it's impossible, but it's going to be very, very difficult for you to get a job in trucking within a year of your returning to the U.S. The insurance carriers who insure the trucking companies are nearly all going to require a valid driver's license for at least a year before allowing you to be hired, but you probably have already figured that out. Some companies, Prime for example, requires a valid license three years prior to them hiring you. I was out of the country for approx. four years before returning and becoming a truck driver, but kept up a valid license and did find about a dozen of the larger (mega) carriers willing to hire me. The best way for you to approach this is to just start applying everywhere.

Start here: paid CDL training.

Apply to each and every one of these companies; if they hire you, great, you will get your CDL and will not have to pay out-of-pocket to get it.

Next, follow this link, and fill out the application: truck driving jobs.

This may get your application out to other companies, not all of whom will help you with getting your CDL, but at least it will put you in contact with recruiters, with whom you can discuss your situation. These are your two best options, as they will connect you with the larger trucking companies with greater resources, i.e. more trucks, more mechanics, facilities, freight, benefits, etc.

What I see as your third option definitely carries greater risk, and that is searching the internet for trucking driving jobs; if you know which city & state you're returning to look at Craigslist, or other online classifieds in the nearby region for open positions. Using this approach you may be relying on a verbal guarantee to hold your job until you get a CDL, which you will very likely be paying for out-of-pocket, so there lies the risk. Also, those are companies with far fewer resources, so you may find yourself broken down or low on fuel in the middle-of-nowhere, or even somewhere, but asked to take care of whatever problem you're experiencing on your own, with the promise of reimbursement. More risk.

Not knowing anything about you, if I were you, I would just move back, get your driver's license, and then get a non-truck driving job. Work for a year, then consider entering the truck driving profession.

Whatever your decision, if it remains connected to trucking, please keep everyone on this forum apprised as it may provide a roadmap for others in your situation to follow. Thank you and good luck!

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Just a funny trucking picture to brighten your day

0658246001706187427.jpg

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Just a funny trucking picture to brighten your day

What’s the rectangular box mounted behind the shifter?

Previous Page Next Page