Comments By Pete B.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1BpQBNfq7bLXG8JRk86LMeW6C6nRnjUjQwZQfD2COanao5brjsRLGXV66gtfwi5sK2JO5KkGal2zOYo8-0KzqO450JbUwbl8cdZ8po0u3nIGWtC20dByC9HmGKH3lq0HhDhUrBU9-A=w886-h576-p-k avatar
  • Pete B.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Goofball Passed Away Today...Trucking with Pets

I’m sorry for your loss, Rainy. Our pets are family, and we grieve for our four-legged family members in pretty much the same way as we go for our human family. Best of luck coping. You of course have another family here.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Favorite truck stop chain?

Pete, that looks more like a whole pie!

shocked.png

I know! They’re crazy big, right?

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Favorite truck stop chain?

It’s not really a chain, but a singular truck stop; I’m only mentioning it because it sort of fits in this thread, and is the only truck stop that had made a lasting impression on me. That is the Clearwater Travel Plaza/Petro off of I-94 in Clearwater, MN. The reason being is that there are only two types of food that I get excited about buying on the road, pizza and doughnuts, both of which I rarely buy. This place has almost amazing donuts/pastries. They closely resemble cupcakes: with cupcakes, the best part is the top 1/4, the part with all the topping and a little bit of sweetbread. The pastries at Clearwater are the same, except on steroids. They are the biggest pastries I’ve ever seen. But like cupcakes, it’s the top 1/4 or 1/3 that’s worth eating; the rest, which is just breading, can be left behind for the crows or pigeons. Those toppings though! Huge selection. And ginormous. They are the size of dinner plates.

0596030001577757423.jpg

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Contract buyout

David, I’ll add just one more thing here... your words remind me of a GM I once worked for; he was a great source for fantastic advice. See, you are already laying the groundwork for a litany of excuses when things don’t go the way you had hoped, supported by the people and/or Internet you’ve been recently listening to. To you my former GM would say, “Don’t prepare to fail, prepare to succeed.” Make it your mission NOT to bring home 500-600/wk; apply yourself, adhere to the advice Brett and Old School have given you, and be that new driver who knocks it out of the park. The name on the side of the door really doesn’t matter... all of the big companies hiring new drivers pay pretty much the same. That ‘perfect job?’ You’re not going to find it, you’re going to have to make it. Best of luck to you David... if it’s in you, you’ll do great!

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Another deer

Sorry about the deer, but otherwise glad to see your work ethic paying off; enjoy the new ride!

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Who has a good Christmas dinner in the Virginia area

Sorry, Cracker Barrel was terrible advice; I drove past three today and they were all closed.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Who has a good Christmas dinner in the Virginia area

There’s a Cracker Barrel in Wytheville.

Posted:  2 months ago

What is your favorite trucking movie?

1. Duel (1971)... ... ... 2. Breakdown.

Posted:  2 months ago

Rogers Cartage (Tankstar) / ABF freight

Papa Pig, if you’re considering starting with Rogers Cartage, I strongly urge you to reconsider. Inexperienced drivers + tankers = bad idea. Learning to drive a big truck safely is hard enough by itself; add to that the challenges pulling tankers bring, and you’ve just increased the difficulty by a power of 10. Why not just pull a dry van or flatbed for a year, get some experience under your belt, then go tanker if it’s still what you want to do. The jobs will still be there, and you’ll be much better prepared than if you go into it as a new driver. You’re not going to lose any money by putting it off a year; most people think tankers are more lucrative because they pay higher cpm’s, but the reality is that you won’t be turning as many miles weekly as you might pulling vans or flatbeds.

Good luck with your CDL training, I hope you’re using The High Road Training Program ; there’s no better CDL prep course available anywhere, and it’s free. Please keep us abreast of how well you’re doing!

Posted:  2 months ago

My Railroad crossing violation - DISMISSED!

That’s great to hear (read), Rob; I’m happy for you that it ended well in your favor.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Local companies Houston

Schneider has a dry van o.c. in Houston, as well as a bulk o.c. where van drivers may park their tractors; check the careers webpage for local positions.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Post A Picture Of Your Significant Other Here’s Mine

My lady...

0211110001575936934.jpg0562401001575936997.jpg

...this one occupies space in my heart as well...

0505521001575937099.jpg

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Damn deers...

This is how close I came to an elk hitting me a while back in Idaho... came around a curve and there he was....

0639248001573659980.jpg

And there he goes! (Thank God!)

0378732001573660024.jpg

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Moving Forward with Veriha - (pronounced VERY - ha)

I looked up “dogged determination” in the dictionary, and there was a picture of you; great job Marc, way to stick with it. Looking forward to having you join us on the roads!

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Saying goodbye to Prime.

Congratulations and good luck! You continue to lead by example, even in changing companies, by showing how hard work, professionalism, and a commitment to excellence can pay off big time. I’m really happy for you Turtle!

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Is This a HAZMAT Load

Sorry Packrat, I'm sure you know. I read the first question a little too quickly and figured it came from the OP. Didn't scan left and see your name there. Sorry.

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

Is This a HAZMAT Load

Yes, there is a designation on the BOL... the very first column should have an "X" in it, and the column header should read "HM" or "Hazmat." The shipper is accountable for knowing if the load is Hazmat or not. My company has sent me to pick up Hazmat loads, where as far as they were concerned I was getting loaded with a Hazmat product, but in fact the load turned out not to be Hazmat. The shipper will know. MSDS paperwork may accompany the paperwork, may not, because if carrying a Hazmat load you need to also have the "ERG Handbook..." That's Emergency Response Guide Handbook. The ERG handbook details how to handle the Hazmat product in the event of an emergency. You also need to have all of the proper & required permits for the states you'll be traveling through. If you don't have any of these you do not transport a Hazmat load.

Posted:  4 months ago

Living in your rig?

I've been living out of my truck for 2 1/2 years now, and counting. My home is in another country, on another continent, so I don't really have a choice. I'm here to drive and make money, so living any other way would be counterproductive to that. When I need to get somewhere I get as close as I can with the truck, walk, and sometimes use Lyft or Uber. I'm saving a ton living this way. My approach may seem a bit extreme, but it works for me, I'm achieving financial goals already, and I've completely adapted to this lifestyle.

Posted:  4 months ago

Automatic Chains

Unless you plan on running in snow country all of the time, such as having a local job or dedicated account where you are driving in and out of the snow throughout the week all winter long, the automatic chains will be a waste of money. I haven't chained up much; once before I had to cross a mountain pass, another time on a mountain pass, and once to be able to navigate a miles-long access road to a site in the middle-of-nowhere... each time I got faster and better at it, to where now it really wouldn't slow me down that much. You are speaking of the device that automatically feeds the chains over the tires, correct?

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Fueling and pre trip at the same time

I’m more of less reiterating points already made here... I haul HAZMAT regularly, for the past 2.5 years; whenever I fuel I always combine it with pre- or post- trip when possible, as well as adding the “tire check,” as the tire check is required when under a HAZMAT load. So sometimes in the morning, my On Duty time will show the remarks “Pre-Trip/Tire Check” and “Fueling.”