Comments By Pete B.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1BpQBNfq7bLXG8JRk86LMeW6C6nRnjUjQwZQfD2COanao5brjsRLGXV66gtfwi5sK2JO5KkGal2zOYo8-0KzqO450JbUwbl8cdZ8po0u3nIGWtC20dByC9HmGKH3lq0HhDhUrBU9-A=w886-h576-p-k avatar
  • Pete B.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Its Official!!!

Congratulations! So happy for you. Best of luck with your new job on Monday!

dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Returning to USA after 3 years abroad - will any companies hire me? I’m a former OTR driver who’s looking for work.

Sorry for the tardy response, by now you may have already resolved this, but in case you haven’t… I was in the same boat as you, returning from abroad after spending 3+ years out of the country. I had pre-hires from six or seven companies who agreed to hire me despite my being out of the country for over three years; I can remember only four of them: Schneider, Werner, Covenant, and CR England. I went with Schneider, who I am still with today. Hope this helps and welcome back!

Posted:  2 months ago

Training Complete... Test Tuesday

Best of luck to you, Scott. I’m sure you’ll do just fine Tuesday. Don’t worry too much about that 90° back. Whatever the max number of pull ups and G.O.A.L.s you’re allowed, don’t be afraid to use all of them. Look forward to your next post celebrating your new CDL!

Posted:  3 months ago

Million Dollar Highway & Moab

Agree 100%. Love that drive.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Mom died tonight

My condolences and prayers go out to you and your family. Drive back safe, with all you’ve got on your mind.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Volvo

Every once in a long while, they’re not so bad. Enjoy your new truck, Andrey! It’s good to enjoy your workspace!

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Volvo

rofl-3.gif

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Volvo

Aren't we clever this morning!

Don't force me to break out The Appalachian.

Yes, please don’t! I don’t think Google has a translator for Appalachia-speak.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Volvo

Yes; his photo shows that he’s having a hot dog and soda. And I am happy for him that he’s so pleased with his new truck.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Volvo

Я рада за тебя, но я бы кушала более здоровую.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Restless Leg Syndrome

0236550001628030204.jpg

Hope it helps and/or goes away.

Geez, the advice under “Self care” is VERY poorly written, with regard to their use of punctuation. The way it reads, in addition to discontinuing caffeine, one should also discontinue physical exercise, discontinue quitting smoking, and discontinue relaxation techniques. In summary, to combat RLS, quit the caffeine, live as sedentary a life as possible, if you smoke keep on burning ‘em, and above all maintain as much stress in your life as possible.

Bruce, tomfoolery aside, try to focus on the exercise; it cures 1001 ills. There’s plenty of exercises you can do as an OTR driver that don’t require a gym membership. An obvious one is walking briskly; there’s a difference between a brisk walk and lollygagging around the parking lot. I’ve seen both.There’s also equipment you can buy that will fit in the cab of your truck without taking up too much space. The keys are commitment, and consistency. Good luck, I hope you are able to overcome this.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Machinist going trucker

First, the respirator… Only once in the 4+ years I’ve been working have a ever had to put on a respirator, and that was a full face respirator that I had to sign out and put on specifically for one job. I sat there in the cab wearing the respirator while I was getting loaded. The respirator was to protect me from the vapors of the chemical they were putting into my trailer. When I made the delivery I don’t remember if I was escorted to a waiting room or again stayed in the cabin during the offload, but I did not offload the chemical myself. Chemicals that toxic, you won’t get to touch. The plant’s and refinery’s staff will offload the really toxic inhalation hazardous chemicals for you. The respirator is there for you in case there’s some sort of emergency at the plant or refinery.

The chemical suit, worn on a semi-regular basis, can get hot. However I’ve never felt like I was going to pass out or near any loss of cognitive function. My only issue had been sweating profusely, with the perspiration dripping onto my safety glasses; I fixed that problem by wearing a bandanna under my hardhat, which I do now all the time anyway because it’s more comfortable. After offloads I’ve made wearing the chemical suit, before I drive off I’ll step into the back of my cab and strip down, changing into a clean, dry set of clothes. Because everything I’ve had on under the suit gets saturated with perspiration.

In summary, the respirator is a non-issue, as is the chemical suit. In the wintertime, the chemical suit is a bonus to have. The jacket, because it doesn’t breathe, traps your body heat, helping keep you warm.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Machinist going trucker

Hi Keith, I’ve been an OTR bulk driver with Schneider for a little over four years now; I don’t know anything about the vet apprenticeship program, however. And, thank you for your service. I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have. -Pete

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Schneider

No, Schneider won’t fire you over these two preventable accidents. When you sit down with an OSR to talk about what happened, just be humble and don’t make excuses. Don’t make excuses such as, “it was dark,” or, “ the tandems were slid all the way back.” You’ll do some slow maneuvering around the lot or a course, and after that you’ll be back on the road. The majority of accidents happen at slow speeds, and this does seem to be your weakness. Slow your pace. As Donna pointed out, make better use of your mirrors. As long as you are watching your mirrors, these types of accidents should never occur.

Posted:  5 months ago

Check your nuts boys and girls.

So many jokes, so little time...

Posted:  5 months ago

Another example of U-turn gone wrong.

He definitely didn’t come out smelling like a rose after that stunt.

Schneider also has a ‘no U-turn policy.’

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Its been one of "those" days

I feel your pain re: the cruise control going out… I hate it when mine isn’t working. It’s nearly impossible for me to maintain a steady speed. And I can always tell when the truck in front of me doesn’t have it, because the driver’s speed is constantly going up and down within 3 to 4 mph. It’s very irritating.

Posted:  6 months ago

2021 dash cam recommendations

Velcro wouldn't work as i switch trucks daily. I ended up just buying a cheap $30 dashcam with a suction cup that I put in the lower portion of my windshield. I didn't need anything special I can save it then upload to my computer in the event I need to.

I am guessing it uses a memory card to save the videos… I recommend going to Walmart and buying the card with the largest memory capacity… That way if something happens at the beginning of your shift 14 hours later you will still be able to access it, it will not have been recorded over in the loop.

Posted:  6 months ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

OTR life... didn’t have time to use the dryer, so hanging ‘em up in the truck tonight...

0911108001622515552.jpg

Posted:  6 months ago

Quick intro and a few questions regarding Roehl

You’re not seeing the forest, David. The recruiters can’t tell you you are going to make what we are earning. They’re going to give you minimum wage type of numbers because that’s what Bare Minimum Guy makes. And everyone starting out is that guy. You have to prove yourself, to yourself and to your company, to do better and earn more. I took this job and within four months was earning more than a 20 year vet in this company; he was that content, Bare Minimum Guy. I am not going to discredit your numbers, but I will argue that you are not beholden to them.