Profile For Big T

Big T's Info

National City, CA

Experienced Driver

1 year, 6 months ago

Big T's Bio

I am returning to the industry after being away since 2009. I have driven dry van, reefers, and heavy haul dry van. I have been a solo, team, lead, and trainer. I am currently jumping through all the hoops again getting my license back and starting my driving career again. I have missed the road and am finally able to return.

I have one non-preventable, not at fault wreck in which I was rear ended outside Queens, but other than that I have a clean record and value safety above all else. I also believe in the "brotherhood" of trucking and believe it is up to each of us to keep it going and to bring it back.

Posted:  1 week ago

Economic Downturns

In the event of a down turn the kind of driver you are will have an impact on your situation.

Top tier drivers: those that perform, turn the miles, and take care of customers, usually will not take a major hit in miles.

Subpar drivers will find miles shrinking. Think about it. If the are not as many loads to move then companies are probably going to try and put their best foot forward.

Are truckers laid off or just left waiting longer than usual for work? (loads)

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Happy 10-4

0677941001538703745.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Hello Fall

Such a beautiful stretch of interstate.

Here is one I took. Location: weigh station before Denver on i70

0408447001538443859.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Hello Fall

I love all the color this time of year.

Here's a shot I took while on a walk in Riverdale, New Jersey during the fall...

0587925001538440464.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Swift Training Program Discussion

If you plan on going home every two to three weeks you wont be doing much OTR at Swift. You will get a load to the other side of the country once in a while but they will keep you somewhat close in order to be able to get you home.

The training at Swift is avg about four weeks depending on mentor and loads plus school. Hitting your mentor's truck near the end of October could make it longer depending on weather.

I can tell you two things about Prime. 1. We do not get many people in orientation that jumped from Prime.

2. I am a mentor on the OTR reefer fleet at Swift and there is almost always a Prime truck at my customers as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with either company.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Opinions on Self-driving trucks please!

I just want my OnGuard to quit picking up the overpasses.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Hello Fall

Thank you G-Town.

You have a great eye Big T !!! Really nice photo.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Hello Fall

Taken in Colorado along I70 yesterday.

0345104001537808048.jpg

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Born abroad of American Parents

Robert I went through the same thing. Once I sent everything off and got my delivery receipt back I called them and explained I needed it for employment. I then called every 48 hours to check the status. It ended up taking two weeks from the time they received my documents to have mine in hand. Not a guarantee but it may work.

Even though you send everything to Virginia mine came from a processing unit in Tuscon, Arizona.

Nope. Mine is issued by Department of State. Called my mom (97) today to see if she might have the original, she will look again. The most frustrating of it all is that I have to wait 4-8 weeks for the document and not finish with the rest of the class. Such is life, as this will be a small hurdle in the next chapter.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Thinking about dumping my corporate job

One of my students from Covenant just got hired on at Richmond to teach backing.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Thinking about dumping my corporate job

I have no real complaints about Swift. I have been with them for almost 16 months and have been a mentor for 10 months.

Like G-town said though, there is no one size fits all out here. Think about what you want to pull and where you want to pull and go from there.

The big thing out here is communication. That can make or break most drivers.

Just an fyi: if you do come to Swift ask your recruiter about schools other than Columbus. They are dealing with some backlogs right now. It is taking some students almost 8 weeks to get a test appointment. I just did a 34 hour reset there.

Sometime all the money in the world cant make you happy.

Indeed. Trucking was a pay cut for me. However, the experience has been one I thoroughly enjoy. You can't put a price tag on that.

Just do your research and be sure what you're getting into. Just like anything else, it's not all puppies and rainbows.

That is absolutely true. I have left two jobs that paid exceptionally well for less money to start my own company, and will now in about a month hopefully be starting my new life as a driver. I am going Monday for my DOT physical, and assuming I pass that, will get my CDL permit and then call to see when the next available class is.

Good luck. Im waiting on the paperwork to take my permit test. In West Virginia, you have to mail the application and wait for them to send you the test card. After that, I will probably head to Swift in Ohio.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Hardest part of trucking

No laughter here. My truck is more my home then my actual home.

Dont laugh...for me it is switching trucks. Once you are in a truck for six months or so, you know every rattle and creak. You know every button and and switch. You've been on it long enough to have every nook and cranny filled with personal belongings.

Then a year later you have to swap trucks. Whats worse than taking hours to move everything and going from a manual to an automatic? Going from a Cascadia to an International.

Now all your instruments are in different places with different markings. The cabinets for which you bought drawers are not there. Your twin XL expensive yet incredibly comfortable mattress doesnt fit. the cabinet where yoi hid the kitty litter box has been removed and in general, you just feel like crying.

yes, this was my life today. whhhhhaaaaa!!

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Alcohol at dinner

With Swift you would be terminated in both examples. Swift requires a minimum 12 hours from the time of your last drink and you enter their property. If you test higher than zero they will terminate you.

So legal yes, but also unemployed in most situations.

Posted:  1 month ago

Hardest part of trucking

Daughter update: it ended up being inflammation left from a virus she had a few weeks ago.

Thank you for the kind words guys.

Posted:  1 month ago

Hardest part of trucking

This is a common question I get asked by students and friends. Tonight I am living it.

I am sitting in MO while 1600 miles away my wife is sitting at the ER with my four year old. She has been complaining about leg pain for the last two days and the doctors thought she should be seen tonight instead of waiting until Monday. And there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. To me that is the hardest part of trucking.

However, there is a bright side. She is able to go to the ER without worrying about cost because I am able to buy insurance through my company.

Sorry if this didn't come out as coherent as I hoped.

Posted:  1 month ago

Trucks MPH and Money.

Has it really already been a year G-town?

One thing to remember about speed is we can not run full tilt the entire time. You will make more by keeping that left door shut.

I am governed at 65 cruise, 63 peddle, but am also usually pushing 80k pounds and playing in the mountains out west. My speed will drop as low as 25 mph on some of these mountains and yet I still avg 3000+ miles a week.

Posted:  1 month ago

Thinking about driving again after 12 years...

Hopalong you are going to find that your previous experience is not going to count because it was over ten years ago.

Most companies will make you go through some kind of schooling. It may just be a refresher course, but don't be surprised if they make you go through the full school again. You just wont need to take the license test at the end.

I came back to the industry after eight years away. I had to get my license again, but it is like riding a bike.

Most companies are going to auto shift so that shouldn't be a problem.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Clock troubles...

According to my load assignment my load delivers at 0500 this morning. I did my normal and called ahead and was told they start receiving at 0400 and I can check in then. I pulled in at 0345 only to find out both were wrong and they don't receive until 0700.

Thankfully, I'm going home after this delivery and will be able to off duty drive to the house because my 14 will be shot before they start receiving.

Just goes to show you can double check and still be wrong.

If I wasn't going home after I would have planned differently because using Google showed me there wasn't parking here and San Diego isn't the most truck friendly city.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Starting school soon

If you have any doubt wait it out.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Manual Transmission

I hope you find a program that works for you. You have convinced yourself you cant drive a manual and that mindset becomes self fulfilling prophecy in this industry.

I know you teach it here and I check out this site sometimes 10 15 times a day I was trying to go to school on weekends so I could can keep money coming in till I get my cdl but I should have listened to you guys the pros and went with a company trained cdl on automatics I thank you so much for all the knowledge everyone here puts out im just wish I would've taken advantage of you guys knowledge sooner