Comments By Big T

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0528846001550909889-70513.jpg avatar
  • Big T
  • 2 years ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Game: Funniest negative review about your company

It didn't come across that way, but their review is exactly why I think Brett is right to not allow a "review" section.

All of these companies have one major flaw. They all employ humans. Humans are known for screwing up from time to time.

It amazes me sometimes though that these reviewers don't realize these companies have hundreds of million mile drivers. If the companies were as bad as some claim then they shouldn't have any let alone hundreds.

I didnt mean to come across as poking fun at the companies... but the terminal rats. Hope it didnt come across that way.

i thought it was hysterical the guy was mad that he wasnt getting free vacations lol

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Game: Funniest negative review about your company

We had a driver at one of our terminals complaining that when he walked up to the t call window the people got up and left and didn't help him.

Slob would have been being nice when describing this guy. You couldn't smell the smoke in the smoking area over his bo. I finally lost my cool after listening to him bad mouth the company for almost 20 minutes straight and suggested he go shower and put on some clean clothes. It might help if he wasn't making people physically sick.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Hourly Pay vs Mileage Pay

You need a tad bit more information to answer that question. Information like what is the hourly rate and what is the mileage rate.

With only a few months experience why are you already looking to change?

Im looking at swithcing companies only been driving a few months wich is better miles or hourly? How many miles are averaged within 8 hours?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Swift C1 Training - Indianapolis, IN

8.5 hr car ride vs 22 hr bus ride seems like a plan to me.

Good Morning y'all,

Today's the big day but we made a change. The bus ride from Charlottesville to Indianapolis was expecting to be around 22 hours with two stops but I do not know where and for how long.

We decided to go ahead and drive me up to Indianapolis because it is only an 8.5 hour drive, opposed to the 22 hours, and just to stay the night up there, tonight, and then check in to the hotel that Swift has allotted me. We've checked the weather and looks like rain and, so long as my wife and son jet out of Indianapolis quickly tomorrow, they should be in the clear and miss the snow (if any).

I will let you know what tomorrow is like, once we get there.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Swift C1 Training - Indianapolis, IN

Welcome and good luck.

good-luck.gif

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Double clutch struggling in lower gears 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th!

Might check to see if the engine brake is on.

In general the rule of thumb is out at 1500 and in around 1100 when up shifting. Opposite when down shifting.

It sounds like you have a timing issue. Listen to the Adam's family theme song. The snaps are almost a perfect timing for double clutching. Get a plunger next to a chair and pretend it is the stick. Then you can practice your timing with your left leg.

Most importantly take a breather and relax.

Another trick is to listen next time you're in the truck. What does it sound like when the instructor shifts. I have found a lot of my students were able to shift better when they started going by sound instead of watching the rpms.

Best of luck.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Driver Facing Cam Question

think we are just being viewed as the next big easy target

There is no next to it. Trucking companies have been targets for a while.

Drivers aren't a target at all. Yes we get listed in the suits, but our pockets are not deep enough for the lawyers to care about us.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Driver Facing Cam Question

We have had drivers fired for texting and driving distracted because even though we do not have driver facing cams the forward facing cam pics up the reflection on the windshield.

A couple weeks ago my student had a cam event when he broke hard to avoid a cow on the road and I got in a little trouble because I had sat down to smoke a cig (I have a no smoking in the sleeper rule) and it saw the reflection of my phone on the windshield. I was logged in the sleeper berth at the time.

Swift Took One For The Team :-/

Maybe that voice on the CB was “The CB Savage”. Look it up on YouTube, youngsters. Great, old trucking song.

rofl-1.gif

Swift Took One For The Team :-/

Definitely the driver's responsibility. You are responsible for knowing and following the law. If you choose to break it then you are making the choice to pay.

No one but me drives my truck. Not my dispatcher, not Billy big rigger, not dot, and definitely not the magic voice on the cb.

Crash mitigation system

With swift's new safety ranking system a following too close is worth 21 points. He may have moved over to ensure not getting tagged with one.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

It has been one of those weeks.

If you have the phone number for those aliens I have a "business venture" for them. Lol.

Hey, you didnt hit anything, so life is good.

My FM just laughs at me no matter what. I could say "My truck was just stolen by aliens" and it would be "10/4 sorry lol"

but when i first started he would say "you got there early, didnt hit anything, and communicated with me your issues.You had a great day!"

It was -39 in WY and i blew a head gasket in my 2015. Drove it 300 miles to deliver then it died and never truly recovered. Some of.my bolts froze and broke from being brittle...even on my wheel covers.

Extreme temperatures is no joke and better to be sitting and safe than having parts fly off your truck.

And your student is still learning..how to get repairs, what life is like at times, what its like in severe temps, etc.

So great job Mr Trainer!!!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

It has been one of those weeks.

I delivered my load Wednesday morning and headed to our shop at the Walmart DC in Grandview, WA to get a BIT inspection done. It's not usually allowed because I'm an OTR truck, but I had been fighting to get it done all week and finally got put on hold so they didn't have much choice.

It took over 12 hours to get a30 minute inspection done. Understandable because I'm not a Walmart truck so I'm at the bottom of the priority list and top it off with the shop was slammed that day.

Then I went to pick up my load and as I was backing into the dock the high pressure valve on the reefer gave out. Which put me a day behind on this load.

Now im sitting at a TA in MT with a bad fuel filter they are guessing. No one is coming out till morning because of the extreme cold tonight. Of course im at the one TA without a shop.

Yeehaw boys and girls lol. My student thinks I should get a new truck, but as I pointed out, I'm in a 19 international. This stuff just happens sometimes. Especially when you're dealing with -15 temps.

Misunderstood?

Like cutting material: check twice, haul once.

I didn't even bother to check the eventual destination of the load

This is far from a tragic mistake, but that right there means you have to consider this a failure on your part. You have to be more thorough than that and pay attention to the details. Details are critically important. What if they had accidentally put the wrong trailer number on the assignment and you pulled a load to TN that was supposed to go to Chicago? You could have caught that and prevented the typo from becoming a major cost to the company and possibly a service failure for their customer.

I've known of several circumstances where someone had the wrong trailer number and wound up moving a load hundreds or even thousands of miles the wrong way. One time a team at my company took the wrong load from Atlanta to Seattle!!! They had to bring the load back and someone else took the one they were supposed to have. That's a massive amount of money down the drain, simply because they grabbed the wrong trailer.

This is a good lesson for you to remember. Make sure you know what's going on and pay attention to the details. Also, whenever you find something unclear about a situation make sure you verify it with dispatch. They're super busy. They'll make mistakes sometimes also. You have to be on the lookout for that.

Owning your mistakes.

I wish I could say that was a green horn mistake as you put it, but complacency will bite experienced drivers too. I'd argue it's more likely to bite those of us with experience.

Last year I picked up a produce load out of Yakima, WA. The load was 38,000 pounds and loaded almost to the doors (should have been a red flag). Instead of thinking the load probably weighed more because it went all the way to the doors I used it as an excuse not to weigh it right away. The only reason I scaled it at all was because I was dropping it at a terminal and swift requires scale tickets for any load over 34,000.

I drive 40 miles before I scaled it. Thankfully that shiney new scale house was closed because when I finally scaled it I was grossed at 83,700.

New tax law changes hit truck drivers hard

Correct. See my previous post.

This was not a special deduction for drivers. Before the law changed anyone traveling for work could deduct meal expenses.

In the tax law change they got rid of the deduction. For most it wasn't a big deal, but for drivers that can spend 300 plus days a year away from home it was. Tune of about $18k.

From a not-yet-driver: you can't deduct your meals or cell phone for other jobs either. I used my cell phone at work and have to prepare / buy meals while I'm at work. Not sure why it would be expected that you COULD deduct these?

Big T. Per diem still exists... just not for Company drivers. Averitt implemented a work-around. Others may follow.

Newb Questions About CDL Training And Qualifications

Why spend your money if someone else is willing to spend theirs?

If you're smart you're going to stay with your first company for at least a year so the contract isn't really an issue.

Remember the point of school is to get you your cdl nothing more. The company sponsored route is going to put you in the position of having a job once done. So that takes care of the how long question also.

It also creates a scenario where they are vested in you and your success.

Hey everyone,

I’ve been lurking for a while and have finally made the decision to make the jump into trucking. I’m currently researching schools and companies.

I’m hoping to get some help with a few initial questions:

1). I’m strongly favoring the private school route (SAGE) over company sponsored training. Reasons: it’s closer to home, I have the money to do it, hoping for a better quality training program, don’t want to be locked into a single company.

I get the feeling that many here prefer the company-sponsored route. Are there other things I should be considering?

2). What’s a reasonable estimate about the time between finishing CDL school and getting hired into an OTR job with one of the big companies?

3). What are some of the things that prevent new drivers from finding/landing work once out of CDL school?

4). I am working on getting documentation together for my DOT medical (sleep apnea, bipolar meds). Both conditions are stable with existing treatment.

So far, my doctors have been supportive with writing medical opinion release letters.

I gather that some (many?) companies have their own medical standards that go beyond the DOT medical. How much should I worry about this being a barrier to entry into this career?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

No FMCSA top administrators ever held a CDL!

I am absolutely shocked.

Game: Great Dispatch Stories

Last year I had a four wheeler try and commit suicide using the front bumper of my truck. Somehow I managed to stop my truck in time to prevent his success but it screwed me up.

We delivered our load and got a load back to jurupa so my student at the time could upgrade. I called my DM and told her what happened and requested a 34 hour reset once I got back to the terminal. She told me not to worry about it and she would take care of it.

I walked into the office as is my usual practice. I check in with my DM anytime I pull into the terminal. She took one look at me and told me to go drop my trailer and go to the hotel.

My wife and daughter came up and I got the first night of actual sleep in almost five days.

Monday morning my DM called me to make sure I was better or if I needed more time after i delivered the run i was on.

People don't realize sometimes how emotionally involved our DMs are in their fleets. My DM gets upset if a driver gets home late or stuck somewhere.

New tax law changes hit truck drivers hard

Trust me I would but the women in charge (wife and daughter) had veto power lol.

Companies can still offer the per diem to their employees though. Unfortunately at Swift if you're based out of California you're not eligible.

Big T, There is a work around to your situation.............MOVE OUT OF CALIFORNIA!

rofl-1.gifrofl-3.gifsmile.gif