Comments By Big T

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0383050001626307121-70513.jpg avatar
  • Big T
  • Comments:

Posted:  2 years ago

Lost my first trucking job, rather resigned ( a longish post sorry for length)

That's tough Moe. Hopefully you can get on with May and get some proper training done.

Something to point out though. The jake not working is not an out of service issue. Would I bring it up to the shop? Absolutely. The ECM codes I'm not sure about, but if they say it's ok to run until you get back then I would do my run and put it in the shop when I got back. One of the joys of working with the big boys.

Back to the jake issue though. You were picking up 30k and aside of the hill out of Yakima and the climb towards Moses Lake you were going to be on flat ground in dry weather. Jakes are a convenience, but not a requirement. In fact for a good part of the year you wont be able to run your jakes due to road conditions.

Proper gear selection and controlled braking would have allowed you to make your run safely, allowed your company to service their customer, and prevented the headache you have been dealing with.

Without training though how would you have known that though?

Posted:  2 years ago

Reefer Companies that Fuel at PIlot/Flying J

I'm going to ditto Kearsy's comment. Right now Swift is using flying j which is cool because I've earned shower power, but for a while it was TA or Loves. It all depends on which company is giving the best deal at the moment.

Posted:  2 years ago

Second chance carrier for teams.

Every company out here has horror stories. In your situation you don't really have a lot of options.

Something to think about though. Your brother has less than a year and has two preventable accidents/ incidents that were major enough to be terminated for them. Is it a good idea to put your career, earning potential, and safety in his hands?

Personally I would wait till you both have a year of experience and he shows he has learned from his mistakes before you jump ship.

Consider this: you settle some place that will take him and he has another wreck. Now you are stuck somewhere you may not want to be.

Not knocking your brother just putting some food for thought out.

Posted:  2 years ago

Big News! Off-Topic but I kind of grew up here (been on TT since I was 20) so I must tell!

Congratulations Daniel. "Just wing it" is probably the best parenting advice I ever heard lol. You will also find that a lot of people without kids are like some of the newbies that come through here. Somehow they became experts without having any experience beyond what their dad, uncle, friend did.

Thanks Jamie!

Haha Old School please do come. Always a pleasure to meet the legend. We need advice. Our linehaul dispatcher has 8 kids and I asked him for advice this morning and he said "just wing it". I'm sure you can do better!

Rob, I get the feeling that that's how it will go from here onwards. No one ever warned me it would be this difficult to get the first one though. He's set to arrive End of January 2021.

Posted:  2 years ago

Hair Follicle Testing

Companies that hf are looking to see if you've used. They don't care if it was two weeks or two months. If you pop positive then you go home.

Beyond the use, if you pop positive it means you have already lied on one federal form. Your physical asks if you've used any illegal or illicit drugs in the last two years. While it may be legal in your state it is still illegal federally.

To your point about being a number. Starting out, especially right out of school, you are just a number. The majority of new drivers don't make it 90 days. So until you prove yourself you are just a number.

It's not difficult to prove yourself even at a mega carrier. Everyone at my terminal knows my name and the driver qualification leaders at any terminal I've taken a student from know me as well.

Not really a caring issue. As Rob pointed out it is expensive to bring in new drivers. Pre Covid it wasn't uncommon for Swift to have 60 drivers in orientation between students and experienced drivers. That is just one terminal.

Posted:  2 years ago

Nearly 300,000 drivers would lose jobs if hair testing was mandated

Why would you compare apples to oranges? Pre-employment drug tests are not the same as randoms. You are dealing with a sample of people that may not be aware of the hair tests, or drug use in general. Compare that to current drivers that are fully aware of protocol.

Then they are comparing numbers to testing results from over 20 years ago?

Maybe I'm missing something, but if they're wanting to improve safety then they should maybe due a study that includes random hair sampling along with the ua tests of current drivers.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Well I screwed that up. Accident and lessons learned.

There is a reason why million mile accident free drivers are praised in this industry. It is really hard to accomplish. When you consider all the different scenarios, environments, and hours we run it is expected that at some point you may have a wreck.

This is a performance based job and those that perform well do get some "slack". Especially if they own up to their mistakes and show what they learned. Which seems to be exactly how you handled it.

Thankfully it was just a sign and some landscaping that can easily be repaired. Not cheap, but no one was hurt.

The more I ask the less I know

Mike if multiple applications hurt your DAC this industry would collapse. A lot of drivers tend to job hop so they are always putting in new applications.

I would fill out the app on this site and between that and your school you should be in a truck soon.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Keep water on your truck.

I keep two cases of one liters under the bunk. Plus whatever I'm currently drinking at the moment.

11 hours?? Ick! Yes, everyone should always keep water in their truck. I have some in the fridge, and in a cabinet and keep another case in the sidebox.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Keep water on your truck.

Not sure. Freightliner is closed today so I won't hear anything until tomorrow.

That sounds MISERABLE! Any idea how long it's going to be down?

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Keep water on your truck.

I woke up this morning sweating because my truck derated due to a DEF issue and a fuel pressure problem.

The temp was already in the 80s and quickly climbed. The temp inside the truck seemed to climb even quicker.

It ended up being 11 hours from the time I called break down until I ended up getting a tow.

0983194001594533894.jpg

Swift Debt

Unless you were on the veteran program, which I have no knowledge on, it's 13 months.

They take out the cost of the school every week while also reimbursing half every week for the first 13 months. At the end of the 13 months you can walk away and owe nothing. You end up actually paying half the school in the first 13 months because of the reimbursement.

In my case they took $75 a week out, but reimbursed me $37.50 every week as well.

For months 14 to 26 they then pay you back the other half every week so that at the end of 26 months your school ends up being free.

My case again, they reimbursed me $37.50 a week until the end of month 26.

If you quit before the end of 13 months you're on the hook for the entire amount including what was reimbursed to you.

Best thing to do is look at your paperwork and to talk to Swift directly. If you have the ability I would try and go back to Swift and hit that 13 month mark.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Best trucking company for a woman driver (new)

Reality is any reputable company is a good company to go to regardless of adjective.

As OS mentioned you have to lobby for miles and prove yourself. Most companies give newer drivers these types of runs in order to keep from overwhelming them as they work on mastering their skills. Prove you don't need the time.

If I get a 300 miles run I'm going to get it done in five to six hours. I'm going to tell my DM, and then execute. If we can drop it or move the appointment up we will do so. I also have no problem contacting the customer directly and seeing if they will take it early. Worse thing they are going to say is no.

Keep doing that and if you don't see an improvement then you may have to go up in the chain of command. It is in no one's interest for a truck to sit. You're not making money, the company isn't making money, and the company may be losing money.

Titan Transfer Inc

Great news. Best of luck to you.

New Guy Questions

I'm not exactly sure what "advice" you need Mike. You want to be a safe professional driver and you don't feel this outfit will give you the results. This company isn't for you then. Move on and quit wasting your time or theirs.

People are surprised to hear about outfits like this because in a heavy regulated industry and one that has seen rising insurance costs their path doesn't make sense.

The liability or personal injury lawyers will have a field day in court if you were to get into an accident and they found out you really didn't get any training.

Drivers for Paid Photoshoot

Katie I am not sure this site will be of much use to you. The vast majority of users are company drivers so unless you are providing a truck to use it will be difficult to participate.

If this a major insurance company why not use actual customers? You could reach out to a few carriers and they could provide you with drivers and equipment. Just a thought.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Any Info On Titan Transportation?

Have you pulled a copy of your mvr?

No matter what kind of drug test a company does, if you have a medicine that requires a prescription you should bring the prescription with you.

I don't know anything about Titan, but it sounds like your question should be limited to will they take you and will they pay for living.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

I have a NO contract with CRST?

Teaming can be great, but it can also be a nightmare. Especially in a scenario where it is mandatory.

Keep your eyes and ears open for someone that runs, works, and lives like you do. A lot of times you will have one driver that busts butt and the other one barely gets by. Or you end up mismatched skill wise. Throw in a living area smaller than most people's bathrooms and it can get old quick.

I first started training drivers when I worked at CRST because I kept getting codrivers that couldn't read a map or back and I figured if I was going to essentially be training people anyways I might as well get some of the perks.

As a mentor with Swift I have been in a team setting for the last two years and it's burning me out. I'm almost done with number 22 and I think I will be taking a break from mentoring.

CRST is a decent company just make sure you understand what you are going to be dealing with before/ if you sign any contact.

As you have seen, they don't play around with there non compete clause.

Swift or May Trucking?

Bubbles making it home in one piece is mainly on the driver. You are the one that is responsible for inspecting the vehicle and operating it safely. Swift's big thing is "Safe by Choice".

Sunday marked three years with Swift and in that time I have had one disagreement about safety. I "won" the argument and safety backed me up.

As far as May goes I have not met any unhappy May drivers.

Sometimes the wheels fall off

This weekend was set perfect. A couple 600 mile trips to keep us running and then we were going to do a reset in Ohio after delivery Sunday.

We got to our first delivery got checked in and went back to the truck to wait for our door assignment. Two hours later I got a call informing me that the appointment was set for the 27th not the 22nd. I have to get with planners and customer service to figure it out, but they don't get in until 0800. That means we are going to be late for our pick up. Nothing we can do about it.

Get up this morning and take our load to our Jonestown terminal. Grabbed an empty and started to head for New York as instructed. I called the shipper to verify what temp they wanted the trailer cooled to and was informed they wouldn't be loading us until Tuesday morning. Back to the terminal we went.

Poor student only needs 70 more hours and we are sitting instead of running. But it gives us a chance to get that reset in and do some laundry. My student only had two hours left on her 70 hour clock.

These things happen sometimes. You will do everything correct and the wheels will still fall off. Do your laundry, catch up on sleep, and relax. Getting upset doesn't fix or change anything.