Comments By Big T

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0528846001550909889-70513.jpg avatar
  • Big T
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Stuck in Effingham

A bracket on the exhaust stack failed and the pipe fell off. They had to order the part and it won't get here until Tuesday night because of the holiday. There is a recall on those brackets apparently.

0472011001558894749.jpg

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Stuck in Effingham

I can see the Flying J from my hotel. Be careful. It looks like you're heading into a mess no matter which direction you are heading.

I was just at the Flying J a few hours ago. Too bad I didn’t see this earlier. I would of took you up on the offer as I had more than enough time to kill

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Getting stuck sitting over Memorial Day.

It would be a bit out of route for you but it's I70 exit 68. Brownstown, Il.

Where is this ACT of which you speak? I am.in Bedford Park fir a relay im am.taking to FL

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

The Freedom of Trucking: Blessing or Curse? - new article by G-Town

A notebook can be a very powerful tool on the road. I use swift's trip book to write all my load info down, but I also have a notebook that i use to make notes about my runs. Special instructions, parking, challenges, and a general evaluation of the run all make it into the book.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Load boards recommendation

How can you be "taken advantage of" if you're booking your own freight?

Hello, Can you give recommendation on a good Load board to use when looking for freight? I am new at this industry and I have seen load boards with very cheap rates, I understand the rate averages and what drives a rate, I just dont want to be taken advantage.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Stuck in Effingham

If anyone finds themselves at the TA in Effingham coffee or other non alcoholic beverage of choice is on me.

My truck is in the shop till Wednesday so i have a little time to kill lol.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

General Transmission Fault

Every once in a while my 19 does the same thing. It has never done it while driving though. However a few times it got stuck in "coasting" mode while driving.

Rainy, yep. 2017 International with the Allison. I can deal with resetting the trans I just don't want it to decide it doesn't want to be in gear while I'm driving.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Reckless driving

This is one of the reasons they preach company sponsored training. A company is going to clear you for work before wasting time and money sending someone to school that they can't/ won't hire.

I would be calling/ applying to companies right now and see what they say.

Posted:  1 month ago

Under-21 interstate drivers getting serious look by FMCSA

I'm a little torn on this. I understand the maturity arguments and insurance arguments, but not from a reality (not sure what word I'm looking for) perspective.

It is already legal for 18 - 20 to drive intrastate. An 18 yr old can legally drive a CMV from Los Angeles to Sacramento because it is in the same state, but cannot drive from Los Angeles to Phoenix because they cross an imaginary line drawn on a map.

Posted:  1 month ago

Legal to drive?

When i shattered the base of my left little finger i couldn't pass a DOT physical because i didn't have a grip strength of at least 40 pounds per square inch. Im going to guess that being in a cast may limit your grip strength as well.

Remember it isn't just being able to steer. What would happen if you were to have a steer blow out?

Posted:  1 month ago

Might be attending Swift school next week, first time ever

That info i don't have. Jurupa Valley (Mira Loma) is my home terminal and I talk to some of them when i get into the terminal. The drivers seem to like the account.

Look into the coca cola account. It is still "regional" but a lot of it is within CA. I was just talking to a driver that basically runs Sacramento to Los Angeles with an occasional AZ or NV run.

Do you know much about the Swift Coca Cola? Is it D&H? I am looking into Swift and it sounds like a good deal. Is it from CC warehouses to retailers? The pay that I heard sounded too good to be true. Is there a catch? I would much rather have the L.A. to AZ or NV route, especially if it is out of their Mira Loma terminal. I hate Coastal Cali. traffic and the 5 corridor also.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Might be attending Swift school next week, first time ever

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Swift Refrigerated

I did the same thing. Picked up in California going to north Platte via new Mexico to try and avoid the storm on the 70.

First day went alright. Had to deliver a second part of a load to Shamrock Foods up the road. Took 2 hrs for them to unload me. Wasted another do hours dealing with claims because there was damaged freight from a prior stop that was not reported to claims. Wasted time just to be told to throw it.

After that I made my way back down the road to get a washout. Knew I was picking up dairy from shamrocks farms so I set the reefer to 32 just like Walmart has it, so I could precool the trailer. Got to Shamrock farms and was loaded within a hr.

Had to go back down the to weigh it at the busy loves in Tolleson, thankfully it was legal.

I was routed to go up to Grand Junction and then take 70 to Denver, but seeing the possibility for snow, I got re routed through New Mexico up i25.

Finished my first day with making it to the TA in Holbrook, AZ.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Using The Runaway Truck Ramp

Cheaper than four lives though.

I’m almost positive I read no ticket, but the tow bill can be up to $10,000

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Swift Refrigerated

Just a quick number crunch using my ranking numbers comes out to an average of 579 and change. My year miles on the portal right now are 144,378 on 249 dispatched loads. It's a little misleading because it includes a lot of 1 to 50 mile runs I've done to help out.

I'll look through my book and get you an actual answer, but yes they tend to be longer than dry van.

It cracks me up sometimes when I go to a dry terminal and they have the "no deadhead" signs because on reefer I've deadheaded 500 miles to pick up a meat load.

Appreciate it. Really hoping I have a good experience on the cold box side.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Swift Refrigerated

Yeah you learn real quick which places you are probably going to get stuck at. I know Costco I'm usually in and out within two hours. Albertson's on the other hand usually allows me a reset at their docks lol.

With a lot of these warehouses the unloading doesn't actually take that long. The time consuming part is the breaking down pallets, counting product, etc.

Swift pays detention after two hours and at least with my fleet you don't have to be on duty.

As far as split sleeper birth goes; I hit the sleeper as soon as I am docked and no longer responsible for anything. That way if it takes longer than eight hours I can still roll.

I hear that receivers make reefers wait long because they see merchandise that is being kept refrigerated as not needing to be offloaded in a hurry. Do you guys find that to be true? Does Swift, or any of the companies where any of you work pay detention? Do any of you guys do a split shift if you know that you will be waiting longer than two hours to unload? Do companies still pay detention if you count your wait time as off duty?

This is why I love this forum. When I first started driving I just went off duty. But I have saved myself so many hours especially if I'm stuck at one of those special Walmart DC's that you're there 8 hours or more. Only a couple of them but I've learned to take advantage of those excruciating situations

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Swift Refrigerated

Hey Big T, was wondering the average length of haul you see on reefer. Rochelle's terminal leader told me they tend to be a bit longer. I am sure there are short loads too. Hoping refrigerated ends up being something that works well for me.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Swift Refrigerated

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

First week...are all companies schedules this tight?

How heavy are you and where are you running?

The 50 mph is good for planning, but unless you are stopping to use the bathroom a lot you should avg above 50. If you avg a 55 mph transit than you only need 14.75 hours drive time.

At face value that run looks tight, but if you're able to push you will find you have plenty of time.

Why are you fueling twice on an 800 mile run?

Posted:  2 months ago

Keep Your Eyes Moving

I picked up at a meat plant in Colorado a couple nights ago and it almost turned into a catastrophe.

Picking up at this plant is an easy process. You pull in the security scans in your trailer and inputs your information into their hand held device then you drop your trailer at the wash bay and go finish checking in.

As I was backing into the wash bay the security guard walked around the front of my truck. Nothing unusual there. The problem was he then walked up to the side of my trailer and started scanning again and getting the trailer number which required him to step between the tractor and trailer. He did not let me know what he was going to do. Had I not checked my mirror when I did I could have easily backed right over him.

Two things my students hear repeatedly is to know where your trailer is and to remember you have two mirrors. Keeping your eyes moving will help reduce the chance of someone or something invading your space cushion.

Thankfully everything went ok and did not result in a tragedy.