Comments By Gladiator 76

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bigrig2.jpg avatar

CDL TRAINING SCHOOL REALLY NECESSARY ?

Deek, I wouldn't know how to address your many issues. I agree with Fatsquatch.....your attitude sucks! Brett has patiently answered your questions. It seems like you are just trying to stir the pot. I know 1 driver who got his CDL on his own and he's not very proficient, in fact he's a menace and cannot hold a steady job. Fortunately, he's very, very slow so he hasn't injured himself or anyone else yet although I did see him "kill" a parked trailer once. We don't need both of you on the road, so do everyone a favor and find another job.....you seem to hate everything about trucking anyway!

The myth of having to go OTR!

I guess I need to clarify a few things. I drag a 53 foot box around the Portland Oregon metro area. Today I worked a total of 9 hours and drove a total of 176 miles. Three hours of my time was spent in bumper to bumper traffic. I don't pull doubles, tanker, or flat bed and probably never will. I started this thread to stimulate discussion about LTL job possibilities not to encourage anyone to do anything they are not ready or able to do. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and I respect their opinions.

The myth of having to go OTR!

Im not telling anyone what they should or should not do. I was just stating what worked for me and pointing out an option that others might wish to pursue. When I was in truck driving school OTR was the only option presented to us. I'm not disputing what anyone said. In my case I wasn't going to drive if it meant driving OTR, so I pursued an LTL job. I am not recommending that anyone start job hoping. I've been with my company for over a year and have no plans to leave even though other companies pay a little more. My company gave me a chance before all the others, so now they are reaping the benefits...... Now that I know what I'm doing. I'm not trying to encourage anyone to get in over their head, just offering an option.

The myth of having to go OTR!

I've been lurking & occasionally posting on this forum for about 2 years now. Over and over again I read about how you must have at least one year of driving experience before you can land a local driving job. While this may have been true in the past it's not true today. I spent 28 days in OTR training, found I didn't like it and driven locally ever since. In fact the company I drive for has 5 of us who have never driven over the road. I understand it helps to have experience and it is often easier to get a job when you have a job, but it isn't an absolute anymore. I would encourage anyone who doesn't want to live the OTR lifestyle not to sell yourself short, particularly if you live close to a port or large air port. Ports and air ports = LTL driving jobs. The key is to present yourself well to prospective employers, be persistent, and ask them to give you a driving test. Once you get the driving test, your fate is in your own hands. The company I work for is constantly looking for drivers because driving LTL isn't for everyone either!

An older woman in trucking?

Since when is 50 old? When I saw the title of this thread I was expecting to see someone in their 90's starting their career. I'm 56 and have been driving for 19 months. You might be insane, but your not crazy. I retired from teaching, got bored and decided to start a second career. Many companies like more mature drivers. Best of luck with your career.

Stick a fork in me...

You might try finding a job driving for an LTL company. I've never driven over the road. I like living at home.

Who has to pay for the damage?

Somebody has to have insurance, so I would guess they would have to use it.

OMG. WHEN are the mistakes going to end?

Mountain Girl,

Working on the dock for a few weeks does suck. However, it may be Just what you need. Your company must want to keep you.....it they didn't you'd have already been gone. Take the advice your terminal manager and trainer gave you. I wouldn't be concerned with being out of the truck for 3 weeks, you will not lose your skills in this amount of time. Stay positive! Good luck!

Afraid of Heights... Driving to Tacoma, Washington from San Antonio, Texas

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but mountains cannot be avoided while driving in the Pacific Northwest. I suggest driving slowly and down shifting prior to your decent.

OMG. WHEN are the mistakes going to end?

Mountain Girl,

I am a city driver as well. Slow and steady wins the race! Every problem I've had relates to speed. I'm not necessarily talking about driving to fast. I'm talking about making decisions to fast, so take your time. Taking whatever time that's necessary to make the correct decision will save time and keep you employed. Good luck!

More opinions requested

I would pay for the parking myself. Ten bucks isn't gonna break you. I wouldn't rock the boat over it.

DAC Report Quit Under Dispatch

It has been my experience that it's easier to find a job when you have a job. You may have to take a class A job with a smaller and/or a lower paying company for a year or so. Craig's list usually has a lot of jobs posted.

I don't know enough about cleaning up your DAC to help you, but I bet your gonna get some solid advice on this forum soon. Good luck!

Lease-purchase: Sounds like a good deal, right?

Excellent report Anchorman! It seems to validate what the experienced TT drivers and Brett repeatedly have to say: Don't lease and drive.

Why paying truckers by the mile is unfair and dangerous

I agree with those who say it's all about embracing the lifestyle. I knew living in the truck wasn't for me, so I had to find my "place" in the industry or get out. I make my $19.00 an hour driving LTL and am very happy with it. I also make time and a half after 8 hours, so I'll gladly work a 10-12 hour shift when many other drivers won't.

I take pride in my work and do everything I can to help my employer make $$$, because it keeps me making money. This is part of the formula I keep hearing Old School, Daniel, Brett,and many other successful drivers saying. Keep good communication and relationships with dispatch, work your ass off, be flexible and you'll succeed. I meet both OTR and LTL drivers on a daily basis at many of my customers. It doesn't take long to figure out who has their act together. I encourage all drivers to walk away from from the situation when other drivers start constantly complaining.....you don't want to get sucked down into a cesspool of negativity!

Lil bit of P&D

There are always backing challenges. It just takes patience. On very rare occasions I've had to wait until a space I can handle opens up. GOAL!!!!

Lil bit of P&D

Welcome to my world! My only OTR experience has been 28 days of training. Ironically, one of the reasons I never got comfortable driving OTR was because I couldn't back the truck into the ocean. Now it seems like that's all I do. It's not unusual to bump the dock 10-15 times a day or more. I do have to get my hands dirty occassionally, but it helps me stay in shape. I enjoy the challenge of local work.

Switching trucking companies

Eckoh,

It sounds like you and Swift are suffering from irreconcilable differences, so it's probably best you move on. Are you going to owe them anything or is your contract up?

Switching trucking companies

I'm not in your shoes, but if I were I'd try talking to someone in safety and/or my driver manager about my situation. It doesn't seem like they'd want to lose a driver because the wind tore the door off an old rusty trailer. Good luck.

Switching trucking companies

Can you explain what Swifts "driver ranking" is?

Starter trucking companies?

I enjoy this web site because it's generally very positive and helps people avoid the mistakes others have made. The responses on this thread have reminded me just how tough the OTR lifestyle is. I admit it is not for me and apparently isn't for Kazi either. I hope other people considering a career driving OTR will realize that '****s' gonna happen at home while your gone. If your gonna go OTR you better have a plan for this prior to your departure. This web site has the resources to help you be prepared, but you need to use it before you jump into this industry. Good luck with whatever you do Kazi.