Profile For Phil M.

Phil M.'s Info

Scranton, PA

Experienced Driver

5 years, 5 months ago

Phil M.'s Bio

I just got back into driving after a 9 year return to manufacturing. A lot has changed. E-logs, DEF and the lack of folk on the CB along with ever better and more useful tech such as smart phones and google earth. I've been coming to this site to lurk a little and now when I have a little time I'd like to ask a few questions and also share a little of my gained experience.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Being a trucker in Europe for non-European Trucker?

Welp, your the mod asking me a question and blocking my reply. So there's that.

@Phil M.Are you, a descendant of immigrants, comfortable with this anti-immigration attitude? How many generations ago has your family come here?

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Being a trucker in Europe for non-European Trucker?

To answer your question, yes I am an ancestor of the original settlers of America(mid 1600s English), unlike you, and I am perfectly comfortable with my attitude. Why did you leave your home country for mine only to lecture me? I sincerely want an an answer.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Being a trucker in Europe for non-European Trucker?

Welp, your the mod asking me a question and blocking my reply. So there's that.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Running Doubles

They really don't give the proper classroom training for doubles when you get the endorsement. Companies know this and provide extra training. Just like just about everything in life a little hands on experience is what matters most.

This one is with the trailer brakes set

0617579001642536451.jpg

This one is the trailer brakes released, notice the extra piece of metal grabbing onto the dolly eyelet.

0370465001642536492.jpg

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Companies Not Requiring & Requiring the Jab

Can we get a list up?

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Being a trucker in Europe for non-European Trucker?

I've been driving 20 years and in the workforce 20 more and my ancestors have lived in and built this country up from the beginning. That being said, I have no more to say on this topic on this forum. I'm just going to keep it to the topic of trucking, if at all. Thank you and have a nice day.

Phil, if you’re truly an experienced trucker and have paid any attention whatsoever the last 20 years, you would realize that without immigration, we would have a huge driver shortage. The reason you see so many newer foreign drivers is because trucking is a profession that a large majority of the American public want nothing to do with. Not to mention the fact that you didn’t bother to read his post. He’s looking for information pertaining to his region of the world.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Being a trucker in Europe for non-European Trucker?

I'm an experienced American driver who wants a halt to immigration an an end to the 19th amendment. What do you think of that?

Sorry you're out of luck. There's no work here.

Hello,

My name is Sertac. It's my first topic here. Hello to everyone, again :)

I'm from Turkey and 31 years old. I'm geological engineer. Maybe you know that, there are some economical problems in Turkey so i can't find job :)

Since my childhood, i'm interested in trucks. I have droven a few times in closed trafics. I'm good with lower consumption and mechanics. If i had driving licence which spelled es "CE" for truck + lorry for Turkey, can i have a trucking job?

BTW, i know how to use hydroulic retarders, exhaust / jake brakes, reverse parking, lowering consumption... I love to be in roads. I have drive lots of in construction sites etc...

Please help me. Have a nice, safer drivings...

See you!..

Wait; WHAT?!?

Okay;18 posts makes 'Phil' the expert?!?!?

To the O/P .... Mr. Sertac (like that name!) ... You'd have to get your class E (general USA license) for a year (commonality) before you can pursue your CDL. (Either class A OR B. ..... honestly.)

Personally, I think y'all's B'trains are more fascinating. Why DO you want to come stateside ?!?!?

In the MEANTIME . . . Here's some good reads.. until you get back to the states! Best wishes ...~

~ Anne ~

AND, YOU COULD STILL... (try?) this!

ps: Phil; couldn't YOU share your company info w/ Sertac???

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Abloy lock (made in Finland)

I used to subscribe to a couple of youtubers who were expert lockpickers. Good luck with those abloy padlocks because even those guys considered them pretty much unpickable.

Stevo, these locks are super hard. My guess is that it works best against people with bolt-cutters, not the ones who have skills to pick an Abloy. I personally tried to cut it, not even a scratch :-)

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Supreme Court blocks vaccine mandate

Everyone who gets the jab because "I had too" or is against the mandates yet is vaxxed by pure free will and ready to flip out their proof of vax at the drop of a dime is complicit in this tyranny. "First they came for the unvaxxed and I said nothing"

Well, he really had no choice

Our old friend Rickipedia thought he had no choice but to get the vax because his doctor wouldn't see him in person unless he did. 30 days later he was dead of a heart attack.

People like to say they didn't have a choice when the truth is they didn't have the discipline to make the right choice.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Glad hand problem

It's fairly common to have issues with glad hands. I've never had this with the wrong hardware. I've seen them broken off, missing or damaged or improperly installed seals. I always eyeball all the seals & replace and add when necessary. If they're too tight I'll lube them a bit, pry them a bit open, too loose, tap it bit closed. Another trick I'd do is steal a couple of useful spare parts from wrecked trailers in the yard. Back when they all had protruding incandescent lights especially. You can even snag some glad hand fixtures from them. I did that to secure myself a pair of dummy glad hands back when I pulled doubles.

Posted:  11 months ago

List on each of state CDL renewal

Pennsylvania is every four years the day after your birthday I believe.

Hi!

I just can't find online that shows list of CDL renewals in each of states. I know Michigan is 4 years. but what about other states?

Posted:  11 months ago

Running Doubles

You know what we used to call pulling an empty set in a snowstorm"? A suicide mission.

"In my case; food service, I’m shuttling empties from remote yards to a regional distribution center."

Posted:  11 months ago

Running Doubles

Back when I pulled doubles I was without a pintle hook for over a year at one point and did just that.

Our dollies with 3,000 lbs. I normally move them with tractor, but sometimes I'll do it by hand so I can get out quickly.

Meaning, I arrive at my destination and I know what I have to take back. After dropping my tail I line up the dolly while it's still attached to my lead and push it back to my new tail by hand.

Posted:  1 year ago

Paper Transport Inc: Hair Follicle Test (a few questions)

Too add, one of the best pieces of advice I got from an old school multigenerational driver when starting out was this. "Take lawful direction & never voluteer information". He knew I had back surgery & told me never to tell anyone in the trucking business. I never did and it never kept me from doing an exceptional job .

I am in a CDL score for which I paid myself. Paper Transport looks like a great company. They scheduled me for a urinalysis and hair follicle test.

I know I'll pass the urinalysis, no problem. As for hair follicle: my hair is too short on my head, so they took leg hair. That will likely show marijuana, as it would definitely have been in my system up until the beginning of September (probably the 3rd of September).

My questions:

* Does anyone have experience with PTI to tell me: will that be an automatic "no"?

* Do the results of hair follicle tests go on your record these days? In other words, will I now be screwed forever?

Thanks in advance.

Posted:  1 year ago

Paper Transport Inc: Hair Follicle Test (a few questions)

My understanding was that positive folicle tests won't be entered into your "permanent record" in the drug clearinghouse. At least last I read the regulations a year or so ago. If that's true I'd lie, cross my fingers & hope for the best.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Will You Take The Jab?

Good answer. I'll be looking for a gig at a small company where I can carry also. We should have never have given way on that liberty just as we shouldn't give way on mandated medical treatment. Enough is enough, the line must be drawn.

No. Knight has shown that they don't seem on board with it, the logistics of trying to test drivers and or jab them would be insane anyway. But if the nonsense mandate makes through court intact, and they tried to enforce it, I'll switch to lease op or switch companies. The only reason I'd consider lease op is that I really like working at knight and I'd still get to keep working with the staff I do currently, yet be able to concealed carry and not have to get jabbed or tested.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Will You Take The Jab?

Absolutely not.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Thought I was going to die

My driver side window switch died last night, with the window in the down position. It was 22 degrees at 18:00, with 30mph + winds.

My company would have sent out road service, but what is the chance they would have a 2015 Freightliner window switch assembly?

I’ve carried a set of Torx screwdrivers for 2 years. I almost took them out a few months ago since I’ve only used them once but decided they didn’t take up much room so I kept them. Thank God I did.

I took the door apart, and switched the wire from the driver side switch to the passenger window switch. Problem solved until I can get to the shop.

On a side note, I’m parked at a closed receiver. Easily 100 empty spots. I was looking forward to a nice quiet night. Prime reefer pulls in and parks right beside me. This happens to me all the time.

Are these guys lonely or something? LOL

I got into the habit of carrying torx for changing the old style trailer incandescent lights that would be frequently torn off and busted up. I'd snag a few from old parts trailers in the yard to keep on hand when needed, which happened a lot when picking up trailers. Same for tail lights and such. I just keep a small folding set that takes up little space, same for allens, plus fuses, channel locks etc.. One night I had a pen or something roll across the CB posts on the dash of the Cascadia I was driving and it shorted out the eld, navigation, cb, am/fm stereo & whatever. Luckily I also had the trucks owners manual on hand to find the fuse box. I was relatively new to the Cascadia. Since I had several stops that night and it was snowing I knew I was going to miss the navigation most. Sure I could find my way but it is a very useful tool when you go to hundreds of different places having to get in & out from different directions. Anyway the fuse box I needed to get to is behind the glove compartment of all places and needs to be removed in its entirety to get to. I believe it is 4 torx screws and the whole thing comes right out, door and all and you're in like Flynn.

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

Paperboy, Gas station attendant, burial vault maker/installer, plumber, landscaper, binder, pressman, injection mold tech, pvc extruder tech, & general laborer of all sorts. Those are some of the jobs I got paid for. Others like fixing cars, furnaces, roofs and such I learned and performed so I didn't have to pay anyone. I ran a lot of production machinery, usually becoming a lead, training , giving breaks, joining the safety committees & doing OSHA spec inspections. Older siblings went to college and I got volunteered to get a job even with good grades and ap classes. The folk needed another income, not another expense. At least I was used to hard work & confident that if another man can do it, so can I. Trucking aint a bad gig & I kind of like it for the most part. When you're solo it's on you to sink or swim & you won't necessarily have to carry the weak links. That's the best part of all. You get to keep your success. God willing of course.

Backing practice - Store Deliveries

"Phil M. ~ Do you still haul for Swift / WalMart ? All going well ? Good to see you stop by, btw~!"

No, I left there a little while back but I'm considering returning. Spoke to a recruiter and they said they'd be glad to have me back and can likely get me back on that account with the same driver manager. Just need to pick up a new medical card and make the call when ready. "All going well ?" Yes, the world may have gone mad but not this little corner of it.