Profile For Anne A. (G13MomCat)

Anne A. (G13MomCat)'s Info

Anne A. (G13MomCat)'s Bio

I've been a trucker's wife for the last 20 years; hubby's been driving for almost 30. I got my CDL the 'non' conventional way, being his B'seat driver, for an Owner Op.... now finding out this limits my abilities to move on, should I choose to. We pulled asphalt (6122 and 3257) which is hot, but non'hazmat. Winters, he used to haul precast concrete, but the flatbed world isn't his life, nor forte', nor mine! Kudos to y'all that do it.. He's been pulling 'boxes' in boxes in a daycab for the last 3 winters and then some....and I get 'left behind'. Guess I've gotta start over, eh? :) At least I can drive better in reverse, haha! (Wasn't that a song? Going forward, in reverse!) Nope, never got the buck sixty paper. Dang it.

Can't get that as my avi...idk what I'm doing wrong. Oh well. Brett, if you see this; it's our 'vintage' PB.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

What about night/weekend schooling?

Vincent S ~ I'm no expert here, but IIRC Werner Local is DOLLAR STORE accounts. Put that in the searchbar on here, and you shall see why. It's almost a set up for failure situation. Those stores are near impossible to get into, with the PV's, and such. Google Earth the one here in my town, in Lexington, Ohio on Orchard Park road. You pretty much have to jump the curb to get in there FROM the main road (US42) unless you are a SUPER seasoned driver. My husband's been driving 'legal' for 15 years, graduated in '03, and started with Transport America, then USX, and then FedEx/Linehaul, before he finally landed an 'intrastate' asphalt job, and now he pulls local boxes in boxes.

He wouldn't even to this DAY touch a dollar account; He values his CDL too much. We actually KNOW the guy that pulls for the store I described above. He's been with Werner for nine years, but was OTR for the first 3 before he went 'local.'

I've no opinion on the private/company schooling; hubby went to Roadmasters because at the time many companies teamed with them. Remember, that was '03 and much has changed in 15 years.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, ie: O/S G'Town etc... but I'm pretty sure Werner/local is usually Dollar Store accounts.

Wish you the best in your endeavours, and ultimate decision.

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

When God Made Truck Drivers ...

An interesting read this morning ...

Have a safe and productive day all!

When God Made Truck Drivers

When the Lord was creating Truck Drivers, He was into his sixth day of overtime when an angel appeared and said,
"You're doing a lot of fiddling around on this one."

And the Lord said,
"Have you read the spec on this order?"

"A truck driver has to be able to drive 10-12 hours per day, through any type of weather, on any type of road, know the highway traffic laws of 48 states and 10 provinces, he has to be ready and able to unload 40,000 lbs of cargo after driving thru the night, sleep in areas of cities and towns that the police refuse to patrol."

"He has to be able to live in his truck 24 hours a day 7 days a week for weeks on end, offer first aid and motorist assistance to his fellow travelers, meet just in time schedules, and still maintain an even and controlled composure when all around him appear to have gone mad."

"He has to be in top physical condition at all times, running on black coffee and half-eaten meals; he has to have six pairs of hands."

The angel shook her head slowly and said, "Six pairs of hands... no way."

“It's not the hands that are causing me problems," said the Lord, "it's the three pairs of eyes a driver has to have."

"That's on the standard model?" asked the angel.

The Lord nodded.
"One pair that sees the herd of deer in the thickets 3 miles away"
"Another pair here in the side of his head for the blind spots that motorists love to hide in;
“and another pair of eyes here in front that can look reassuringly at the bleeding victim of a drunk driver that crashed into his ICC bumper at 70MPH and say, " 'You'll be all right ma'am,' when he knows it isn't so."

"Lord," said the angel, touching his sleeve, "rest and work on this tomorrow."

"I can't," said the Lord, "I already have a model that can drive 650 miles a day, without incident and can raise a family of five without ever seeing them, on 30 cents a mile."

The angel circled the model of the truck driver very slowly, "Can it think?", she asked.

"You bet," said the Lord. "It can tell you the elements of every HAZMAT load invented; recite Federal Motor Carrier Regulations rules and regs in its sleep; deliver, pickup, be a father, offer timely advice to strangers, search for missing children, defend a woman's or children's rights, get 8 hours of good rest on the street and raise a family of Law respecting citizens, without ever going home ... and still it keeps its sense of humor. "

"This driver also has phenomenal personal control. He can deal with delivery and pickup areas created from scenes painted in hell, coax a lumper to actually work for his money, comfort an accident victim's family, and then read in the daily paper how truck drivers are nothing more than killers on wheels and have no respect for the rights of others while using the nations highways."

Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek of the driver. "There's a leak," she pronounced.
"I told you that you were trying to put too much into this model."

"That's not a leak," said the lord, "it's a tear."

"What's the tear for?", asked the angel.

"It's for bottled-up emotions, for fallen comrades, for commitment to that funny piece of cloth called the flag, for justice, for the family without its father."

"You're a genius," said the angel.

The Lord looked somber. "I didn't put it there,"

— Author Unknown

Thanks for my morning cry. That's beautiful, and ... so many truths. My husband thanks you also, for the extra hug he got this morning.

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Anyone know what this trailer is used for?

Agreed, Robert D. (Raptor) ... great find~! Big Scott, great on the video!!!

Curiosity was killing THIS cat, also. Guess I'm not going going to Randolph with the hubby today; it's gonna storm anyway.

Thanks a TON, you guys~!!!!

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Anyone know what this trailer is used for?

It does look like a bulk hauler of some sort, I've seen potatoes hauled in them. It's in too nice of shape to be used for garbage and it's missing the big push bar for when they get stuck. Probably a walking floor (the control/and or power box in front of the axle), but the doors on the side are odd. I've usually only seen them in the nose, but maybe for easier cleanout? Having said all that, that looks to be on I-190 and there is a huge landfill just north of Niagara Falls so I guess I'll have to take "I don't know for $50 Alex." Jerry

Needed that chuckle; the "I don't know for fifty, Alex~!" hahahaha! Me neither.

Still a great find, Grumpy. Keep searching; I shall help. Called one of my trucker buddies and he's stymied as well. He is actually in NY, LoL. Why the tag axle, Jerry?? Then it 'is' kind of a dump truck? Why the 'covered' roof?

Could be grain too, I guess. And the doors were what confused me, why 3 sets.

And yes, that landfill stinks to high heaven. I live about 5 miles away, luckily the smell doesn't come this far. :)

The guy I spoke to in NY said maybe they load the grain separately (but in side doors... huh?) and then use that conveyor (moving floor) to mix? East Mfg. is here in Ohio; if nothing else, I'll stop by this week. I looked on their website, and there is NOTHING that even comes close to that one. I'm extremely intrigued, tbh. I'm kinda like Sheldon. If I don't know something, I will find it out, haha!

Yeah, I’m as curious as a cat. It bugs me to not be able to figure out how something works, or what it is for. Hopefully my curiosity won’t get me killed someday, like the cat. :)

I looked all over their site as well.

Good excuse to me to roll to Randolph with the hubby tomorrow, haha~!

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Anyone know what this trailer is used for?

Needed that chuckle; the "I don't know for fifty, Alex~!" hahahaha! Me neither.

Could be grain too, I guess. And the doors were what confused me, why 3 sets.

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Anyone know what this trailer is used for?

Paging Old School and G Town and Brett . . . . . (crickets) :)

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Anyone know what this trailer is used for?

Needed that chuckle; the "I don't know for fifty, Alex~!" hahahaha! Me neither.

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Anyone know what this trailer is used for?

I think they carry wood chips and loose stuff like that. The back door opens and the floor pushes the contents out. It's a slow process. Saw a video once on YouTube.

I believe you are correct; saw one ONCE here in Ohio; personally I thought it was grain, but yep, it's got that conveyor belt floor in it, yea? The engine for the belt is in that box behind the tag axle, but between the split tandems, methinks. Looks like the top opens too. INTERESTING find; wish I could find the video. Got a link?

Call me 'intrigued' at the least, also!!

Great find, Grumpy!!

... and nope, on that ride, haha! I don't do heights too well.

Alcohol at dinner

Every holiday weekend (hubby gets them off, paid and nice.. yeah...) They DO a drop, and a breath blow on him. At 55 his party days are over, but... protocol is protocol. Seriously, EVERY holiday weekend. He goes in early, because he's prepared for the inevitable. He quit drinking quite some time ago..years ago?!? A social 'beer' lands him a headache every time. The real one, at home. He doesn't drink anymore, but they still test him, so as not to be discriminatory, perhaps!

ps: Brett, I've not said this enough, but thank you for all you do here. I really mean that! Heck; I even learned 'the how to's' on here... just didn't go the right route, and will start over at some point.

No Shirt, No shoes, no problem... the other stuff... problem~! Love that song, btw :)

Posted:  6 months ago

Just an update on what I am up to.

KUDOS for sure, Don. dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  6 months ago

Don't Be Fooled By Owner Operator Math - Old School's First Podcast!!

I've been thinking about this whole conversation and want to add one more thing. Oftentimes people think our stance against leasing or owning a truck is particularly aimed at rookie drivers. While we think it is a pretty boneheaded move for a rookie, we also think it doesn't make any economic sense at any level of experience. We don't consider going from company driver to owner/operator as The Natural Progression Of A Driver's Career. Somehow people have confused this as a step up and a way to increase their pay, but the reality is that really good company drivers make really great pay.

The economics of trucking do not work out well at all for the owner unless you can gain the advantages of economies of scale. There's simply no way to do that as a small independent operator in a commodities business. I make way more than the average driver, and so can anyone who understands What It Takes To Be A Top Tier Driver.

Well said, O/S. When hubby and I ran teams 'for' an Owner Op, we came out better than him at the end of the year; no joke. My husband has been driving for MANY years, and STILL wouldn't entertain the thought. We do just fine, being company. No car payments, no house note, taxes up to date, and on and on. ..... And he's the only one driving nowadays, still doing WELL. No headaches at the end of the day, either~!

Yep, top tier drivers rule. . . and will retire as such~!! thank-you-2.gif

Posted:  6 months ago

Hello, Y'all~! 5'year lurker..finally saying HIYA w/ a conundrum.

We have a large terminal in Columbus that would be your closest..

Maybe he could ask them to have someone show him how to work it?? It is also in their best interests to make sure he is logging correctly so they don't get in trouble with dot.

I'll pass that info on to him about y'all's terminal @ CMH (or C'Bus, LoL) ... always nice to have options; he's just got a bit of seniority where he is, at Fab. He's just gonna have to choose his runs more carefully, or 'consult with the wife' more often, LoL!

He's been seeing ads about WMPF (I was talking to G Town about that, above...) making 86K or such, and biting his fingernails; that's about 10K more than he's making now, tbh. I doubt he will take ANY plunge any time soon; he'll probably retire from Fab, or I'll be OTR and he can play Mr. Mom, haha. Still have one young'un in school, so we can't 'both' drive anymore. One never knows; options in back pockets sure can't hurt.

I agree with the extra (or ANY!!) QC training; he'd probably have to fly to Chicago (Lemont, IL) where safety is, to get any training, tbh. At least Don is getting trained correctly~!

Posted:  6 months ago

Hello, Y'all~! 5'year lurker..finally saying HIYA w/ a conundrum.

Ahhh Fab right down the street from me, one of their drivers tried to get me to drive for them last year. After reading their website and complicated scheduling and seeing what your husband is going through I'm glad I stayed away.

Where in Ohio are you? He could check out Old Dominion they are very strict about logs and make sure you are 100% legal so it would remove a lot of unnecessary drama from your life.

Other than the log issues, he's pretty happy at FAB, tbh. Unlike Don, who came from OTR over to FAB, being USED to the QC .... they just kind of handed hubby that darned box, with virtually no training. He's been there 3 years, but this is the 1st year not on paper. Teaching old dogs new tricks is kinda iffy, haha!

We are just south of Mansfield, and about 40 minutes north of Columbus. Don't know where the nearest ODFL terminal is, tbh. He tried to get on with Estes NUMEROUS times, before he landed this job with Fab.

Live and learn, I guess. In a way, it's probably similar to trip planning OTR; know what you can, and cannot, legally do. That double Napoleon run in a day is just not do able. We know that now, LoL~!!

Posted:  6 months ago

Hello, Y'all~! 5'year lurker..finally saying HIYA w/ a conundrum.

I havent personally dealt with the air mile exception but when i was doing warehouse work one of our drivers told me he needed to punch a time clock and couldn't drive after 12 hours because they couldn't track how much of his time was spent driving. This was 8 years ago so im unsure if that is still how it works.

Regarding the 16 hour rule. The basics of it is you must end your day at the same location as you started for 5 consecutive work days. You can only use this once per 7 days unless you've achieved a 34 hour reset. I dont believe he'd have trouble with the DOT due to going over hours like he did because its legal (assuming the criteria above was met for 16) but he'd likely be written up for breaking company policy. Im not sure who he drives for but a call to safety/logs department would probably be best so he can know for sure what proper procedure is. Ultimately its his responsibility to protect his license and operate legally regardless of what dispatch tells him.

Thanks so much for the reply, Rob. I didn't realize that about the 16 being 5 consecutive work days returning to the same location. Some days he takes the truck back to his yard in Mt. Vernon; some days (when running tight on time and coming from the north, he brings the rig home.)

He called safety, and they fixed the QC, but told him he actually started 4 minutes too early last night. They 'undid' the 100 air mile thing he put on the QC. It's still confusing, because some days he actually IS in that radius, others, not. I've been reading the regs and it's still unclear. Guess he'll just have to watch his clock better but man they run him hard. Two runs from Mt. Vernon to Toledo Ohio in one day is almost impossible, even drop and hook. He's gonna have to start refusing that 2nd run and take a small(er) one, like to Fremont for the 2nd from now on, methinks.

(We just got the darn thing this year, and haven't figured it all out yet; don't think the company totally has either, haha!)

ps: He drives for Fab Express. They are out of Joliet, IL but have many 'dedicated/intrastate' routes here in Ohio. Are you in their hiring area? They sure are looking for drivers, haha!!!!

Posted:  6 months ago

Now that's a long bridge!

shocked.png

17 freightliner cascadia evolution airline leak

Did you check your gladhand seals? He may have accidentally knocked one (or both) out when he hooked his wrecker's/rotator's airlines up to your rig, and stored yours during the tow.

Posted:  6 months ago

Hello, Y'all~! 5'year lurker..finally saying HIYA w/ a conundrum.

Anne’s new conundrum

CAN YOU JUST RANDOMLY do the 100 air mile radius or does it have to be an every day thing?!?!?! Really.. I have no clue. TBH I get the HOS and the QC a bit better than he does, but we ran paper when we ran asphalt, so we are both learning.. and I'm at a loss..

You are actually asking about exceptions to the rule.

As long as his company has proper supporting documentation, can produce said documentation when requested and he was not more than 100 miles away from the terminal, then the answer is yes.

I suggest he invest time understanding the “100 mile radius rule”. Visit the FMCSA’s website for specific guidance.

G Town, I thank you for the reply... SS 'don't know how to do the connotation 395 plus plus.. I really can't make sense of it. When he left today, his QC said he was still on that status. He asked if he should change it; I don't know. He doesn't know. He shouldn't be pushed this hard. Yes, today he is within the radius. Other days, he is not. Can you just pull the 'hundred' here and there? I'm sorry I don't know much; just a bit more than he does.

No wonder people don't drive local, tbh. I'm still at a loss. He's been looking into WMPF and even going OTR for you guys or somebody...it's HIS CDL on the line. It's been a few long days (nights) lately. Ever since they made that 'mayochup' ... they are killing him. I'm kinda the secretary but I don't know what I don't know. I read that for hour(s) and still don't get it.

Can you randomly pull a '100' but the day before, you weren't? What I see, is no. I'm so smart, I'm stupid....atm. At a loss.

Thanks, G. Maybe I'll just go OTR and let him do the housework. I just don't know.

Anne

Posted:  6 months ago

Hello, Y'all~! 5'year lurker..finally saying HIYA w/ a conundrum.

Mr. Curmudgeon, thank you for your reply. So much has changed. G Town, thank you as well; that's pretty much what i was looking for.

I've still got some MORE of the hubby's conundrums. @G Town, you are probably driving atm ... maybe Brett can answer this. (I think hubby needs a new company, imho.... I get the HOS to a point, but.. here's this: Maybe @Rob T knows? It's a 'local' thing: )

Two nights (well, days ago... he drives 2nd shift) His 'night' dispatch wanted him to bring the rig back to the yard; it was 45 minutes away, and he only had 33 minutes on his 14; so he brought it home, and I was advising him about coercion etc. rules; he never heard back about that, thank goodness. Last night, he knew he'd be tight even GETTING home with the rig .. (he runs northern Ohio, the yard is south of us.) I told him to get a hotel and get reimbursed..but nope, he drove home. Went almost 30 over his 14, even though he had two live unloads yesterday, his drive time was only like 7.5 hours.... so because they won't give him PC (even though he was unladen / empty trailer) and they won't do the 16 exempt (once every 7 days, right?) he switched his QC to 100 mile air radius. WELL YESTERDAY, yeah he was. Day before, nope. He got home in time, though.

ANY body..... clues??? And yes, @ G Town.. I'm definitely looking at the means to the mode you suggested. Thank you, sir.

Thank you ALL.

Alot of wwaiting...

So I've been here at orientation a week now, the first few days were paperwork, videos, drug testing and seeing the doctor again. Still waiting on a trainer tho a few have left from my class but not many with a trainer .There are others from classes before still waiting. some are giving up going home, dont understand that because we are still getting paid and why go through this whole process just to quit??? Even tho the waiting around is difficult when your used to being busy all day working is tough, I know it wont be like this much longersmile.gif

Who did you go with? (sorry, I'm 'new' here... just curious. Thanks!) And best wishes, also.

Anne

Posted:  6 months ago

Hello, Y'all~! 5'year lurker..finally saying HIYA w/ a conundrum.

Anne WMPF tends to keep their drivers regional. Our DC delivers to all of NJ, Pa east of Harrisburg, MD, and DE. I’ve occasionally run out of the Johnstown NY DC but always end up back in Pottsville after no more than 2 days.

Thanks for the info, G Town. Any clues as to how he could pursue and/or peruse the options a bit better? Just fill out the app, or a magic phone number, perhaps? :)

As for me; I'll probably be 'starting over' in a year or so; hopefully won't get rusty within that time.

Always, thanks y'all.