Comments By Joseph L.

• Joseph L.
  • 1 year, 6 months ago
  • Comments:

Before sleeper cabs

👍great picture.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Going to training with Swift in Columbus.

Sounds like there are a lot of self entitle snowflakes at your school. Delays , confusion and madness are a standard part of CDL school, it appears some of your classmates didn't comprehend it. Enjoying your diary good luck

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Items needed for orientation..

Sandy When you get on a truck you will want a backpack when it comes time for showers. It's small and easy to carry your clothes and hygiene items in. I use mine for that and to carry other items in. Important documents, atlas headphones, charger for phone, bible pens, note book and bible. So yes get a backpack

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

CRST, The second chance: Waterloo.

Part Four. Okay so for this particular part I am going to write about what happens after you have passed your road test. Depending upon when you passed your road you either got a ride back to the hotel and where instructed to come back for night classes. If you came back after lunch and passed, your choices are pretty simple do a ride along or hang out somewhere at the school. Since arriving you walked into a class room full of stressed out, anxiety filled student. The only thing you have thought about is those test you need to pass. If you have no experience shifting it only complicates the matter. So it's your first night class. You walk into the classroom you and the other students as usual the instructors are talking among themselves, with students, people are joking laughing , there is some trash talking among students and instructors about their sports team. Then there is you, right off the bat your going to notice something 😳 that something is very very wrong😵, your bleeping spidey senses are going nuts, your in full analytical mode. Your brain is screaming "Danger Wil Robinson, Danger Will Robinson" 😱. Your looking all about, your on the verge of a nervous breakdown oh my God you think this is it , the start of the zombie apocalypse😵. In a few moments. your about to be dinner for zombies😯😠😄😭. But then you stop, mentally you pull your self together. You suddenly realize what is wrong. Your not stressed or worried. Okay you are, but not as much as you have been. Your relaxed. The instructors take roll call and then it is out the trucks to start driving. Prior to this point every time you have gotten in that truck, you had been thinking about the road test. Now you're going for a drive to boost up your experience and to prepare you for a road test when you get back to Cedar Rapids. Okay so to prepare you (future CRST students) there is an night drive evaluation. I know you're stress levels shot up again. Your thinking oh my God I can fail and be sent home! The answer to that is yes you can. But you would have to run a red light, take out a light pole, a couple of cars and come to a stop inside a McDonald's Those things will get you sent home. Basically if they feel you are unsafe as a driver they will send you home. So what are your chances of being sent home at that point? Well short of the McDonald's truck crash scenario I described, your chances of being sent home are very very slim. Your reading this thinking how you be sure? The simplest way to put it, is you would have never have reached this point if the instructors had any concerns about your driving abilities. You would have never gotten passed the practice course at the school and if you had some how gotten to the road to practice, and showed you were unsafe you would have been pulled from driving. For your road test you wouldn't have passed. So relax. The evaluation is pass or fail but in reality it's not. Basically the instructors are seeing where your strong and weak points are, this information will be sent back to Cedar Rapids and then to your trainer. Mostly the night course is to help students who got sent to Waterloo to prepare for the road drive evaluation upon returning cedar Rapids, More test? Evaluations? Oh yes indeed😄

Transgender Trucker

Byeee Unfortunately there are people on this site and as I am sure you have experience in life who don't agree with your choices. For the record I am a straight white Christian male. While I do not believe in your choices or the gay and lesbian life style or choice, you can consider me on your side. Stick around and share your CDL journey with us. Good luck at CRST.

Transgender Trucker

Okay I am confused😕 this starts out with Jess's original posting, responses from myself, Chip Bagg, Rainy D, and Millionmiler24. Then Byeee's response. To both Jess and Byeee, unfortunately there are people and plenty of them who will have issues with you, a lot of them will not feel comfortable driving or working with you. But take heart for everyone of them there are dozens more of us that will have absolute zero issue working with you😄

Determined in Texas

Silver Fox Stick with it. I failed out of CR.England because I couldn't pass backing. I tried and tried. What killed me was the parallel portion. Couldn't do it. When I got sent home I started looking for another school. I got accepted to CRST and now I am CDL A holder. Keep your eyes focus on your goal of getting your Class A CDL

My training so far. ...

Congratulations Sandy 🎇🎆😄😬☺😀. I have been checking back here through out the day waiting to read you're post. Great job. But you need to tell us about it, the actual test! We will at least I want a play by play Again Congratulations

Transgender Trucker

Jess, first worry about getting through CDL school. As for you being transgender forgive me for being blunt. But who cares. " I’m very friendly, hardworking, and organized"those are the three things your instructors, and eventually lead driver and co driver will be focus on not you being a transgender male. Good luck at CRST. Keep us updated on the journey

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

CRST, The Second Chance: Waterloo.

I just want to say I am both humbled and flatter someone borrowed it😃

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

CRST, The second chance: Waterloo.

Congratulations!!

Thank you Sandy S, I am waiting for your next postings in your CDL training diary😀

not much except Road test tomorrow!!!!!

Relax. That is very important, next watch you're mirrors keep your head moving, tell the instructor given the test everything you see and make sure you watch your speed. Good luck

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Is that Text message worth it?

Just use voice text. That's how I can text while driving. Just hit the button on my headset and say text my wife. Then say the text and say send. Done. Didn't touch the phone. If needed my GPS can read emails and text to me. Stopping when needed is also a possibility.

That is a choice, however voice text never seems to work for me. Besides eventually I will stop and can call or text her then. I am sure there is a number she will be able to call if it's serious enough and a message can be sent to Qualcomm letting me know I need to call my wife

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Is that Text message worth it?

My answer? Not in a million years.

The answer you should give? Well it depends. Factors include but are not limited to 1. Do you value your life? 2. Would you be able to live with the fact you killed someone else because you crushed their car like a soda can? 3. Can you afford to pay the fines and your bills for the next couple of years while you are learning a new trade on account of your instant gratification mentality?

The only time I use my phone while driving is while using maps and once I put in the information and get going I don't touch it, The rest of the time my phone is normally in the back seat area with my five year old daughter who likes to watch us moving on Google maps

Deciding between Prime or CRST

Over in the category area I believe there are 49-50 trucking companies list. I am going to assume that this doesn't include the small independent mom and pop operations.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Ain't no money in trucking...

Once I start driving (eventually) I will get paid by CRST. I might earn $40k my first year or I might by some weird miracle earn $80k or even a $100k😄. In the end no matter what I make its not my money, it's belongs to my family's chief financial officer (CFO) the wife😂.

Boot suggestions

Boots at Walmart are OK if you’re in a pinch needing something to get you by. Not moch else.

Or if you're just lazy and don't like shopping for shoes. Before I bought my boots the last pair of shoes I bought for my self was a pair of Reeboks in 2014. I don't care to shoe shop or clothes shop. Besides if I am going to money on foot wear I will spend it on the wife and kids. The wife we go shopping for about every two years we end up getting her five or six pairs of shoes dropping $400-$500 and she makes them last of course we spend several hours completing the task Next time I might check out boot barn

Boot suggestions

I got a pair of Dickies work boots from Walmart. Steel toe, waterproof paid $70 for them, soon as I can I need to pick up a second pair of boots. Only brought my work boots and a pair of flip flops with me. ( I like to travel light)

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Ain't no money in trucking...

I don't expect to make a whole bunch of money my first year, if I can earn $40-$50k my first year I think I will have done well. I know my first year will be about survival and learning the ins and outs of this business, The money will no doubt come my third year after I have proven myself as a hard working, reliable driver that my future DM will tell people that guy (me) is in line for Saint hood and I get offer my endorsement deal 😁

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Is that Text message worth it?

So this past weekend I got put in a room with another driver, not the most friendly and out going person. I kept to myself and he to himself. Occasionally he would get into a screaming match with someone on his phone, I am assuming it was his DM. Apparently he was on a run with his co driver something happened he got dropped off and the co driver continued on.

So Monday we are back at the CRST terminal. I have passed him a few times and notice he seems to be wandering around lost and confused, okay that pretty much describes everyone here.

So I ended up in the common area having coffee waiting to get a lead trainer. The Driver came over and sat down he didn't look well, before I could respond he goes I got fired! Me😵😐😕, I of course asked what happened?

I got a text I responded, i was barely on my phone for five minutes, I didn't loose control of the vehicle no one was ever in danger

He went off on a tirade about CRST being unfair and stormed off.

Needless to say I don't feel sorry for the guy . we all know how badly things have gone when some idiot decided to text or update their Facebook account while doing 65 down the freeway.

CR.England and CRST both make it clear they have a absolute zero tolerance no bargaining, no second chance policy about using a hand held device while on duty and driving. CRST made it clear the second they find out you violated this policy your gone.

I could only shake my head. First there was his absolute disregard to the fact of seriously bleeping wrong that could have gone.

Second if busted by the D.O.T he could have been fined which can be up to $2,750😵 then CRST would be facing an $11k fine potentially.

So how important is that text message?

When I finally get a trainer and head out. I plan to use my phone for two actually three things in the morning.

1) email or text the wife letting her know where I will headed to and that I will contact her later and that my phone will be off.

2) second Google maps or earth if making a delivery that morning to see where we are headed too and plan for potential problems

3) the weather. I don't know I could be wrong but I think being kind of update on the weather might be useful for a driver.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Newbies, keep the faith, don't give up!!

@kevin L, good luck.