Profile For Marty G.

Marty G.'s Info

Garland, TX

Preparing For School

1 year, 2 months ago

Marty G.'s Bio

I'm a 31 yr old, with ambition and am currently studying to prepare for trucking school, not to sure where i want to go yet but im definitely looking into it.

I finally made the decision to pursue Trucking as a career for two reasons. The first reason (and most important) is because i have 2 boys, and living paycheck to paycheck just isnt cutting it. The Skills i do have are extremely undervalued and under paid so it is time for a change. The second reason i am pursuing a career in Trucking, is because it really is something ive really wanted to do since i was a kid. I remember watching my father pull up on the side of the road and backing into our drive way with his solid red Freightliner. I was fascinated by all kinds of trucks, every make and model. Cab-Over Freightliners, Long nosed Pieterbilts, Kenworth cement trucks all of them. So thats my story so far, in the next few months ill continue studying anything and everything i can to ensure that ill be out on the open road with you folks.

Posted:  6 months ago

Passed my qualification tests today!

Congrats to you sir, good luck out there.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Scaling A Flatbed Load

Thank you guys for the quick response. I for sure need to pick one of these up prior to starting school.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Scaling A Flatbed Load

Thats crazy...is there a book out there that has the info about the different laws and requirements of weight distribution per state? Or is there a site that would make this info readily available?

Posted:  10 months ago

How I Poisoned a Terminal Rat

Thats was an interesting post there Old School, i have received similar advice just talking to Drivers of all types at the TAs and the Loves around here in San Antonio not many drivers gave me this type of advice, but the few that did really seemed to be arrogant, like the lady you speak of. Seems like it can kill a newbie drivers career before it even starts by giving putting them on the wrong mindset..

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Leave Tomorrow

Good luck Chuck.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Article By Old School: Do I Have What It Takes To Be A Successful Truck Driver?

That's a good read there Old School, thanks alot.

Everything i find on this site is extrememly useful, and i appreciate the time you guys take to make all this information and all of your experiences available. Before i discovered this site from the google search engine, my father was the only information i had about trucking but his time of driving was at least 25 years back so he had very limited knowledge of todays trucking so of course i had to look into other sources, which led me here.

Thanks again guys and gals i appreciate your time and effort here.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed Physical Tests..

Nice CT. Did you have to buy chains,straps and such or are they issued to your equipment.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed Physical Tests..

Thanks for the info CT. Are you a OTR flatbedder or a Regional?

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed Physical Tests..

Thanks again guys, i appreciate the feedback and Old School, it is the physical aspect of flatbedding that has me interested in it. The "duck walk" is an excercise that i am familiar with doing, had to do it quite a few times while in physical therapy, but as long as im not carrying more than 40lbs during this exercise i should he fine. Another reason why im going with flatbedding is because i am limited to which schools actually approved my application with CDL training. Which are really only two of them.

CFI and Maverick.

TMC, Prime, Miliis transfer Swift snd Stevens were all a no go. Celadon and PAM transport have forced team driving which im not interested in at all. Roehl, CRST and Jim Palmer only offer OTR until a fixed period of time. I have 2 young sons, i dont want to stay away from them for too long.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Flatbed Physical Tests..

Thanks guys a appreciate it, the School i will be leaving for is Maverick, sometime in the middle of April. I kinda figured they would do cardio tests for endurance and blood pressure, that really wont be a problem for me, i was more concerned about the physical part of the testing, I was medically discharged from the military after tearing both my Achillies tendons, so i was kind of concerned for possible re-injury.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Profuel, LLC any reviews

Perhaps he means 2500 plus miles a week?

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Flatbed Physical Tests..

For the Flatbed carriers, what is examined during the physical testing portion? Is it simply the ability to lift up a 100lbs tarp off the ground and place onto the Flatbed or are you to walk x amount of feet while lifting the tarp? Im looking to really start my driving career in Flatbedding because of the great home time available.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Elds are causing issues (another one of those articles)

I don't know anything about ELDs other than what information is available online about them, but in regarding the 14hr clock, cant the ELDs be manipulated manually using annotations and editing so the ELD can record when the vehicle is actually on duty and not just being moved for maintainence?

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Updated my Profile----Completed Training!

Congrats on completing your training, good luck and stay safe.

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

New Truck!

Congrats on the new rig guy, hard work pays off for sure.

Posted:  11 months, 4 weeks ago

New Class A driver

Congratz and good luck.

Posted:  11 months, 4 weeks ago

Advice with long nose trucks

Nice ride there guy, hope to drive one of them at some point after getting my CDL. Good luck with the new truck.

Posted:  1 year ago

Overpass Clearance

Alright guys out of curiosity, do the GPS systems used currently for Semi truck route travel, list bridges that have already been tested for height, ensuring safe passage? Or do they just display a path of recommended travel without current measurements of bridge height? Hope this aint a stupid question, ive never seen what information is exactly displayed on these Truck GPS systems...

Posted:  1 year ago

Kinda feel like im just settling...

Thanks for the replies yall. The Companies that declined my application were Millis Transfer and TMC. The reasons this had bothered me were the fact of these two companies had offered Regional straight out of School. Kinda of a big thing for me as i have 2 little boys. They also were running the trucks solo and not forcing team driving for x amount of miles. I applied for Roehl and they offered OTR for my area. I have also applied for Maverick's Flatbed division should be hearing from them Monday, they have asked for A photo-copy of my social and my Birth Certificate, havent had to do that for any if the other companies i applied for. Hopefully its a good thing eh? Wish me luck guys, and thanks again for the feedback.

Posted:  1 year ago

Kinda feel like im just settling...

Hey yall, i've made several applications for company sponsored CDL training and both of my top picks have chosen to deny my application due to being unemployed for about 1 year but had a solid 7 year work history from last employer. The thing that bothers me about it most was that i chose to be unemployed, but only because my infant son at the time had breathing issues and i wasnt gonna trust a daycare to give him the full attention he needed. I even had paper work verifying the time i was unemployed for this. I just received my CLP last week, i would think that out of the 3 year employment history verification they asked for, 1 year being unemployed and the past 7 years with one company wouldnt be an issue... Maybe im over thinking this, but it seems that these companies are a bit too particular?? Yes of course they have thier own acceptance policy, but i would really hate to just settle...any idea of what can be done? Or is it pretty much a done deal till i have 3 years of consecutive employment again?? Any and all feedback on this is appreciated. Thanks.