Profile For PJ

PJ's Info

Elberton, GA

Experienced Driver

PJ On The Web

10 years, 8 months ago

PJ's Bio

Retired police officer from Ca. Relocated to Ga. I was looking for a second career that will give me some new experiences in life. I have 4 amazing daughters and 7 grandkids. A lot of my friends were truck drivers and loved the job, except being away from the family. I figured I would give it a shot and see what happens. I have learned alot about myself, the industry and life in general. I love my new career. My email is pat.jerrold@gmail.com

Posted:  6 hours, 51 minutes ago

Dispatching Services

Welcome, but you have come to the wrong place to answer your question.

Mostly everyone here are company drivers. The main purpose we exist for is to help folks looking to get into the industry and new drivers.

I am I think one of the only owner operators here regulary and nothing personal, but I have a very low opinion of dispatching services in general.

Posted:  4 days, 14 hours ago

Is anyone noticing this?

His congressman should go talk to mine, Mike Collins from Ga. He is the owner of a trucking company and is on the transportation committee.

Posted:  5 days, 17 hours ago

Is anyone noticing this?

I follow freightwaves sonar reports weekly as well as a few other sources from so called experts. They are all still conflicted in their views of the state of the industry. It seems the past 3 quarters there have been a few signs of improvement, but then more indicators of more of the same.

I think things have bumped along at the bottom long enough now that companies are doing whatever they can to stay afloat and those changes are skewing the numbers to a degree.

In south Ga schneider is now pulling trees, old dominion is hauling containers, werner is doing containers, Howard Shepard is doing side dumps from mines and quarries. Just a few examples of companies getting into modes they historcally never did before.

I have actually gained 2 customers that were unhappy with a large carrier that they had used for years because when they book a load and get a schedule it generally is a week behind what was agreed to. I stumbled onto them by accident really. They gave me a shot and are happy with my service, which I am grateful for.

I hope and pray things turn around sooner than later, but most experts are now predicting quarter 2 of 2025 before any real change occurs. More of the same really. Been hearing the same message for the past 18-24 months.

Posted:  6 days, 6 hours ago

I'm going to Kivi Bros. Trucking! So excited!

I’m glad it worked out for you. My oversize stuff is limited to granite blocks or mausoliums. Everything else are legal normal loads.

Just be diligent and careful. Make sure you know your routing on the permits. Lowboy’s turn alot different.

Congrat’s!!!

Posted:  1 week ago

YUGE day tomorrow

Great news Congrats!! dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Preventable Accidents

Bruce, I gotta tell ya there is nothing wrong with rednecks!!!

I’ve been one my entire life and damn proud of it.. We are very resourceful when we need to be. Enough said!!!!!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

How do carriers charge for deadhead (MT) miles?

Bruce that answer is yes/no/maybe!!

Companies are very familiar with the freight lanes. If they send you to an area they know is horrible to get freight out of they charge the customer more going in.

It is always generally a case by case basis otherwise.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Preventable Accidents

Welcome,

I wish we could have known you in the beginning of your career instead of now.

Trying to minimize your issues or blaming the company will get you nowhere. You got yourself into several messes noone else.

Going places we have never been is a continual event. You have to be viligant and careful. Be sure of the full situation before you drive into it.

We’ve all made our share of mistakes, espically when first starting out. But you have to learn from the mistakes and try your hardest to not repeat them.

What is already done isn’t going to change. You need to realize what you learned and script it out. Apply everywhere and when you get a chance to speak to any recruiter you tell them what you learned from the past issues and assure them it won’t happen in the future.

As you already know the industry is a mess and finding a new job is difficult at best.

Wish you well in the job hunt!!

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

For Company Carriers: Do you feel Valued?

Some great points made. Here is another reason micromanagement.

Large companies set policies for everyone. They have too. The way it goes. Makes complete sense.

They hire from all walks of life. Some are good, some are great, and some are terrible. That is very common.

All policies start with a baseline then get reviewed and tweaked. Usually because of an event. So in the end the company clamps down on the actions of a few that impacts everyone.

The really good ambitious drivers evaluate the situation and determine if they want to continue working by those rules or go somewhere else. Some do and some don’t. It’s entirely up to the individual. What works well for one person doesn’t work for another. I have friends at various companies. They tell me stories sometimes about something and I think to myself, I would get fired in a microsecond. But it works for them.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

What kind of ignorant is this! Unbelievable.

Yep, I see damage in various places and just wonder how that happened.

The longer they pass lesser requirements to get a CDL the more stupid thigs we will see.

Why Join Trucking Truth?