Comments By PJ

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0407106001715772014-7749.jpg avatar
  • PJ
  • Comments:

Previous Page Next Page

Posted:  6 days, 3 hours ago

Refresher course?

Check indeed or craigslist. Your local only requirement will certainly narrow your options.

Check schneider and tmc. I know in the atlanta area they both do local delivery for home depot. If they do it in your area maybe that would be an option for you. Those positions often are area specific.

Both will probably put you through a refresher so I would not waste money doing it without securing a position.

In terms of the big carriers you don’t have enough experience for the time frame you listed. Just the way they look at it right or wrong.

Small companies are solely at the discretion of their insurance carrier. Mine requires 2 years experience within the past 4 years to accept. Insurance carriers are not all equal, so another may accept your experience.

You just have to keep beating the bushes.

Posted:  1 week ago

Renting 53ft flatbed in Georgia

Metro trailer in atlanta has them.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

In Brett’s neck of the woods

I just saw on the tracker Brett isn’t all that far from me.. I’m in Mt Kiscko to set 2 mausoliums in the morning!! Seems like a nice little town. The cemetary has room and shade, all I can ask for..

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

New guy browsing the forum

Welcome!!!

I get where you are at. I was second to youngest and grew up on a family farm long ago. I made the decision to go my own way in life.

Finding part time work will be a very tough go with big trucking companies. They just aren’t setup for that model. Roehl Transport has a 7 out 7 off and a 14 out/14 off. Or they used to.

Some small company may be able to work it out possibly. But if a truck isn’t moving it isn’t making any money.

Buying your own would be very expensive. That is not only the equipment cost, but the monthly fixed costs. IE insurance. You may go under a farm, but then that severly limits what you can do. Works the same as forestry.

To haul otr or regional your costs would be high. Insurance, plates, Heavy use tax. Dispatch services in my opinion are a waste of money also. They search load boards. You can do that yourself. The brokers they work with will probably not give them any better rate plus your paying them.

Theft has been rampant for the last couple years and many brokers have adopted new policies to combat it. One in particular is they won’t work with anyone that has had their authority less than 18-24 months. If you find one that will, they are probably a bottom feeder to start with. once in awhile you can find one that isn’t but they are very rare.

I don’t want to dash your dreams, I just want you to know the truth what your looking at. I like to see folks suceed not fail.

Wishing you the best!!

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Getting Started At PAM

Congrats!!

You certainly fell into a great deal it sounds like.

Glad your health issue is resolved.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Let's see of this forum is as friendly as it says!!

Some truck drivers like some car drivers just shouldn’t be on the road. They drive like described and don’t care.

I’ve had other trucks do similiar things to me countless times.

I make sure I pay strict attention too other present traffic at all times.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Is this too picky

You will have to talk to a recrutier too get the pay on that. Most dedicated accounts pay differently than general customer accounts. They are specific to themselves.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

How should I resign?

Alex I don’t recommend your plan. As with any job it is customary to give notice, 2 weeks is the norm. No perspective employer will ever fault you in that. I have always felt I’ll give the employer the courtousy of 2 weeks notice, but if they prefer I leave sooner I’m good with that.

I would sure have another job lined up before I quit one. The industry is in turmoil all over the place. Secure what you want, then give notice is my advise.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Week from Hell ended horribly!

James, sorry to hear this news. You are a rookie and made a mistake. It happens. Much worse things have happened to many of us when we were rookie’s.

We didn’t let it stop us and you shouldn’t either. It’s a minor setback.

Apply everywhere, but I would be open to going to WE to get rolling and gain some experience. OS started there and has had a wonderful career.

The industry is still in turmoil and probably will be for the forseeable future.

Don’t dwell on the past. Live in the present and look to the future.

Be honest about your mistake, own it, and reply as to what you have learned from it.

I would recommend you start out with a van instead of flatbed. You already know how much of a challenge flatbeds are, and you only got a small taste.

Tandem axle trailers turn much easier, nothing falls out/off the trailer and it is much less physical to your body. I do a speciallty thing that is very easy to secure and some days my legs hate me for the getting on/off the trailer. I do not mess with tarps. Period.. A driver has to know their own limitations.

Decide if you really want to succeed in this industry!!! If you do, grab the bull by the horns and get busy applying!!!

Wishing you the best!!

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

I think this is big news. I just don't know what to think of it.

OS I read this the other day and made me curious too. UPS has sold other lines off in the last several years. TForce bought the truckload line, which I think is tied to CFI in some form.

The big 3 brokers had the industry by the throat before covid. Brokers are popping up daily it seems. All you need is fmcsa approval and a bond. It costs about 3k and your a freight broker. The brokerage business has gotten just as competitive as trucking. UPS sold it off before it dives further in value I would guess.

Even the big brokers are feeling the pain of this long lasting rate downturn, many have gone out of business.

Previous Page Next Page