Comments By PJ

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0822071001611596939-7749.jpg avatar
  • PJ
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Funny thing happened

Hey ya’ll. I had an interesting thing occur last night I thought I would share. It has a valid point in it for new drivers.

I am on a load that was several days late when they gave it to me. I called the rec’r and let them know I had their load and would see them in the morning at 0900, the stated appt time.

The supervisor was very helpful. He asked if I could make it to him tonight? I told him it was possible but I would be out of hours. He said that was fine, if I arrived tonight he told me how to scale in and to park in the unloading bay. They would unload me first thing in the morning. I said that was great and thanked him.

I arrived and another company has dedicated loads in here. They deliver in the same spot. One of their drivers approached me and asked why I was parked in his spot. I told him I parked where the plant wanted me. He told me that had to be a mistake and it was his spot, that I needed to move.

Well me being me I asked him how it was he had more say so than the plant manger, but that was ok we would just call him and straighten this whole thing out quickly. He turned red and when I got my phone out he said never mind and went back to his truck.

This morning plant manager came in early and started unloading me and thanked me for following his directions, was making his job easier this morning.

Moral to the story, never take another drivers word as gospel. Many try and be helpful, but some are just idiots looking out for themselves. Always always think for yourself.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

How safe is it to stop in Laredo, TX?

Yes indeed, I go in/out of st paul often these days and have the past year. Zero problems.

We went to Portland last June and delivered downtown. Why they have a chemical plant downtown is another issue. Security was very tight. But no real problems.

In chicago often and again no problems.

Haven’t been to Laredo in awhile, but never any issues. I may be starting to go back again in the near future, but I have no concerns.

As packrat said situational awarness is the key.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

TransAm Trucking Update

Jason no one will yell at you. OS said it pretty well.

I really don’t understand how you learned anything different by leasing vs being a company driver. You certainly had more to learn at the same time.

Glad to hear your making it work for you. Just make sure you keep up with your taxes, because the irs isn’t very forgiving.

Wish you all the best.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Sad day for my family today

Our prayers are with you and your family Moe. Pets become a real part of the family.

Glad your doing well getting back out here. Keep up the good work sir!!

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Bad News Good News

Hardie is kicking out the product for sure. We haul the primer and paint they use. Been crazy busy.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Anyone nosy, read previous drivers outbox?

My perspective is a tad different. I love what I do. I certainly have loads or places I do not care for, however we all do some things we don’t like. As long as the check clears the bank I’ll do it if asked.

Here is one of those areas having a great relationship with your dispatcher comes in very handy. I usually get offered several and can pick the one I want. I automatically know if there isn’t a pick then it is all they have, and I gladly do it. I don’t sit much.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Good bye Pepsi

Davy why don’t you share with us those companies you know of who allow firesrms in their trucks. Maybe some small mom/pops but none of the larger carriers that we are aware.

Also if the carrier does, gotta make sure the states you travel have resiprosity with the state your ccw is issued. They are all different.

I personally don’t have a state ccw. I have the authority to carry on my retired law enforcement ID card per federal law.

If you ever use it be prepared for the consequences is all I have to say. Personally I can take care of business in other ways that will not bring anywhere near the scrutiney.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

SmartDrive question

Reading this I feel stupid. Never heard on any of it. Guess I better keep my okd equipment😱

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

1 YR review of Werner DG dedicated

Congrats sir!!! You have set a high bar. You have learned well. At 43 your still young and barely older than my oldest daughter, lol.

Stay safe and injury free.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Please help me decide between 2 companies

This too me with my background is interesting. First of all Jerad from one retired flat foot to another. Thank you for your service and you left with your health in tact.

This industry is very diverse. Something for everyone so to speak. We all have different wants, needs, and desires. We all drive a truck, the difference is in the details.

The ACE job is interesting and different because it is a private fleet. They haul their own stuff, not a general freight hauler. I have worked for a private fleet before and may do so again in the future. I enjoyed it. They have very predictable scheduling and routing. Some folks like that aspect, some don’t. They are certainly big enough to provide support.

The new small flatbed job, personally I see issues their. Working for a small company will either be great or a total disaster. There is just nothing in between. I’m not sure how they can insure you though. Only way I can see is if they run under a bigger company, having their trucks leased onto the larger carrier. It may be something good, or maybe not. Way to many variables for my taste.

I love my tanker job. I haul chemicals, not fuel but I really do enjoy it. It is not for new drivers. You need experirnce and to develop your driving skills before you tackle that.

You need to decide first and foremost what it is you want out of this career. Then you see what company can best fit your needs.

Just based on what I’ve read here, which really is very minimial, I would take the ACE job in a heartbeat, but that is me.

I wish you well in your journey and decision making. My email is in my profile if you want to contact me directly.

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

RVing on the road again

That is awesome ya’ll. I’ll keep it in mind Navypoppop where your at. Would be a pleasure to meet you. I just went through Va a couple days ago. Franklin NC is beautiful. I have a brother on the other side of the hill in cullowhee and I live about 70 miles or so south of there in Ga. We have a customer in canton nc and I stay at the ta in chandler when I go up there.

At least ya’ll remembered to take the pic. I always forget. Ya’ll look great. Blaming it on sometimers disease, sometimes I can remember, other times not so much.

Right now making a weekend run to Ft Worth and my travel agent says I’ll be back in Atlanta on tues.

Posted:  4 months ago

Quick intro and a few questions regarding Roehl

I have a different perspective than some. I have interviewed drivers. You would not believe how some have gone. Errol is correct. Alot of people get a cdl and think they are a gift to this industry. They don’t know anything about the business, but expect to be highly paid, work 9-5 hours and be off every weekend. They bash companies for not meeting their expectations.

This is a lifestyle as well as a job. Bottom line is there is no free lunch. Work hard, learn all you can, and be an assest to a company rather than a liability you will make a good living.

Posted:  4 months ago

Night or weekends schools?

I understand your concerns. First off you will need a 160 hour training certificate. That lets out private training pretty much. Nights/weekends will take you along time to complete.

Going to another state to train and spend 3 weeks full time, your done. It is fast paced so be prepared.

Roehl has a great training program and as I inderstand it they pay you from day 1 these days. Several locations also.

Everyone has different wants and needs. You have to figure out what works for your situation.

Just my .02 cents

Wish you well in your decision.

Posted:  4 months ago

Quick intro and a few questions regarding Roehl

Welcome, I’ll try to shed a little light here. Not specifically what you asked, but in general.

I went through Roehl’s training and worked for them 8 years ago. I was brand new to trucking, and it was my second career also. Their program was state of the art and instructors were great. They really strived to see stufents succeed. As with any business, some just didn’t make the cut.

Back then they had a flatbed terminal in Fontana. They have grown over the years. They are second generation family owned. They have strong values and some strict rules.

I enjoyed my time with them and they provided me with a strong foundation in this industry.

Posted:  4 months ago

CDL School or Trucking Company training? What am I missing?

Welcome Shane. Online reviews are always a mixed bag. I went through Roehl’s school many years ago. Why pay out of pocket for a private school when you can get it in exchange for a commitment to the company that trained you. For me it was a simple choice. They trained me and gave me a job on graduation.

Private schools may help you get a job, but that is far different than having the job waiting on you to graduate. Company sponsored are generally fast paced, and private ones may be a slower pace.

Not a thing wrong going with Swift. They are large with alot of reach in the industry. We have several drivers here that work there and are very happy. This business will be what you make it for yourself. This is a very diverse industry, something for everyone so to speak.

Read around on the forums and ask questions. The only dumb question is the one not asked. Wishing you well in your journey.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Always a challenge

Thanks Anne I appreciate you. I have a few avenues myself, and will keep my ears open.

Bird there are several terminals in your area, not sure why your not seeing our trucks, we’re literally all over there.

Honestly I think, and this is just my opinion, we will be fine. CSX is huge in chemical hauling by rail. So buying up the largest road bulk carrier should give them a pretty big leg up inside the industry. There are alot of times we get last minute shipments because the railroad either was going to be really late or in some cases lost the rail cars. I’m still trying to figure out how they can misplace loaded rail cars. So they call us and every other bulk carrier scrambling. For our side, we may very well pickup customers just because that customer already uses CSX.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Always a challenge

Steve- Yes we are a granite metroplis alright. If this buyout goes badly I’ll be back to delivering headstones.

Dave- I agree with you and hope that is the biggest change at least for awhile. I know CSX is all teamsters. With AB5 in ca and the Biden admin trying to extend those provisions in the infastructure bill I really have no clue what to expect.

Senior I didn’t know this had been discussed out in the real world. That is interesting. Officially we have been told nothing about this.

I have learned loads from Kevin and continue to each day.

I have had a plan B on the shelf for quite sometime. Hopefully I won’t need to dust it off.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

What ME? Real Women in Trucking Annual Nomination

Way to go yoong Lady dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif good-luck.gif

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Always a challenge

Good morning everyone. Just when we think things are going smoothly someone throws a curve at us. My company has done ok this past year as a whole, which I have been blessed for. The past few months things have really kicked into high gear.

Then yesterday happened. I found out that the company has been sold. CSX railroad has purchased us and all the required escrow type stuff will be done in July. Rumors are already starting and getting ahold of folks in the corporate offices is becoming more difficult.

I’m just going to keep my head in the game day to day and ride it out.

We’ll see what happens. I’m always up for a challenge

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

GPS?

Routing is done differently at different companies. Gps are a good tool to help, but not 100 percent. Always follow company policies. My company for example gives routing for the local miles from the closest hwy to the customer, in between is up to the driver to determine. Some companies give you turn by turn and expect you to follow it. It’s a wide range of polices out there. You will have to wait till your hired and see what that company wants.