Comments By PJ

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0822071001611596939-7749.jpg avatar
  • PJ
  • Comments:

Page 1/Www.facebook.com of 122

Posted:  4 days, 22 hours ago

GPS???

I guess I am a dissenter on this one. I have been running rand mcnally’s since 2013. I started with a 720, went to a 740 and a tablet. Weak point is the charge cords. Otherwise not to bad. I recently bought the new 750. Works well so far.

I have an installed gps unit in my Pete. It is Garmin based. I have used it against the RM’s and I’m not impressed with it at all. It never agree’s with the RM and consistently plans out a longer route. I have checked the settings so many times I lost count trying to figure out if it is set differently than the RM’s.

Just my experience’s.

Posted:  5 days, 22 hours ago

Kearsey / Rainy! omigosh; lady! Dang dispatch!!!!!

Holy crap young lady!! Prayers for your quick recovery. I sure hope it was at least for something important.. Get well young lady!!

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Unresolved Maintenance Issues

I’m not real up on the dry bulk trailers, I pull a regular sp407 or occassionally an iso. The compartment’s have to be secured completly. If the latch your talking about prevents the hatch from being secure, then it’s an issue. Lights are a problem for sure. A/C isn’t a safety issue in and of itself but I wouldn’t expect my drivers to operate without it.

Are you doing paper dvir’s for some reason. The electronic verisons are not signed you just type your name in a bix at the bottom. On peoplenet that is.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

It keeps changing

Tammy I feel for you in your situation. So far from what I am reading cfi may be your best shot given the details.

I’m not the lecture type. Nor do I judge anyone. But I’ve been around the block a few times.

I left home and went into the military at 17. It made me grow up. Your son has not had to grow up as of yet. It’s never too late. I raised 4 daughters as a single parent. Scariest part of my life. I taught each of them to be self sufficient, and they are.

9 years ago I retired and moved 2400 miles away from my kids. They were all grown and through college. I worry every day, but from a distance. I did what was right for ME after doing my duty to them. It was a shock, dad was no longer 5 minutes away. However they all did fine. We are always in contact and apart of each others lives, just from a distance.

You have to do YOU at this point in your life. His best place is probably where he is at, with friends around. He can learn to clean behind himself.

Training and starting in this industry is hard. No doubt about it. You need to be able to concentrate on your studies and new career with the least amount of distractions.

Just my cent and a half. Best wishes to you and your son!!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Mom died tonight

I’m so sorry to hear this. Our prayers are with you!!!!!

Everyone deals with these things differently. You are a very smart young lady. You do what you need to do…

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Off to ROEHL I go!!!

Ouch, I always hate hearing things like this. As a fellow rider I feel for you Chris. Just a blessing it wasn’t any worse.

Tankers are a whole new world sir!! What kind and who with??

Tanker work is not all the same for sure.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

An absolute nightmare.

Contact the supervisor of that post and see if they will have an officer file am amendment. I’m sure this was just sloppy police work. The officer made a mistake and the supervidor that approved the report apparently missed it also.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

EPU questions

There is a process you go through to set the truck to auto start when the voltage drops to a certain point. Once it charges up it will shut off. I think freighliner calls it opti idle. Each manufacturer is a bit different in their process to set it when you park.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

An absolute nightmare.

Your doing what you can at this point. Your best case is taking their doc to dmv and have them clean up the problem.

I can’t run background checks, the company I am leased onto do those for me when needed.

I wish you luck with the situation.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Birthday Shout Out!!! IDMtnGal !!!!!!

Happy Birthday Laura🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Posted:  2 months ago

Owner operator question.

Keep doing what your doing. Leave the repair bills and headaches to someone else.

Trucks are going to breakdown. Fact of life. I have 2 trucks and in the last month I have pumped approx. 9k into them for various things. That hurts the budget. I haven’t seen a real paycheck in a couple months. When they are up and running I make really good money. However when they go down it hurts.

Last year I ended up with about 60k after all was said and done. That is pretax also. Good company drivers earn that and then some.

It really is a roll of the dice.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Refinancing a leased company truck- when, where, how?

I’m confussed. I’ve read the post 3 times and still confussed. Not that hard too do though!!

These zero down/walk away leases are just that. Most companies that do it that way lease used trucks. The company usually runs tgem 12-18 months, then lease them. As soon as you sign the contract they will start taking money for an escrow account. These vary widely. That is money they hold until you return the truck, then anything they feel it needs they repair and most often you never get a dime back.

You will also be paying for all the maintance. The company will tell you when and where to get repairs and pm’s done. Usually their shop.

It can be a way for someone to make a run at the business side, but all too often it doesn’t turn out well. Most finance compaines are interested in your experience overall in the industry and then look at your 3-5 yr detailed plan to make the business work and worth their investment. There have been many people buy their first truck that way.

There are tons of variables so if you have specific questions we can help more. Generic doesn’t cut it on this topic.

I can tell you if you have no money on hand and start out with nothing in the bank you are more likely than not to fail.

I have 2 older trucks running hard full time along with 3 qualified drivers, and sometimes the headaches just aren’t worth it. As I’m writing this I’m going into the website I use to pay the 2290 on both trucks. That’s 1100 cash.

Buying a new truck, hmmmm. They break down too. Yes they come with a warranty. First off it has to go to a dealer, many are backed up for weeks. Espically on warranty work. They make very little on those and hate doing them. The warranty will cover the repair, not the lost revenue. Do you have a plan for renting a truck in that event???

I could keep addressing various aspects but would only be in general. Again specifics including type of freight and where you will get it is much needed for any useful information.

Ask away!!!

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Need advice!

Nothing you could have done. Let it go. You aren’t the one that did something wrong. Just thank god everyone was ok!!!

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Training Provider Registry website now taking registrations

So am I reading this right? If a cdl holder now wants to add a pass or hz mat endorsement they will have to take a class before they can take the skills test??

Posted:  3 months ago

Kearsey

Rainy you are in no way any disappointment to anyone. You have been experiencing one of those tough times in life. You will need to find a way to slow it down a little. Get as much rest as possible. Your an amazing person and problem solver. You will make it through. I’m very sorry to hear this news about your mom. Our prayers are with you and your mom.

Wishing you all the best young lady!!!

Posted:  3 months ago

HOS Rules; New 8/2 or 7/3 Split

That sounds like a company policy. To my knowledge the individual states do not have the authority to override the feds on HOS.

Posted:  3 months ago

Meet & Greet

Happy Birthday Sir🎉🎉🎉

Dispatch is keeping me going all the wrong directions, but I have a fix for that. While your in Franklin we’ll ride the bike up and have lunch.

Stay dry and safe!!

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Finally, an update.

I agree sounds great... Tight places are always a pain no matter what. Always take your time and look it over good. Ask the workers there how is the best way. It’s their house and they see alot of trucks. They usually know, but don’t say anything unless asked.

Keep up the great work!!!

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

So am I hired?

It looks like your not focusing on what is important. You need to concentrate on the training, not other extetnal things. If you need the job as badly as you say, you can make it through 3 weeks.

Your buddy from class decisions have no consequences for you. Sounds like you don’t know what the contract says you signed. I would recommend you read it closely before making and decisions.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Want to become a owner operator in the next 2 years.

Welcome Matt, you are working your butt off for sure. Buying a truck is the easy part. The hard part is making money with it. This industry is very complex.

First off you must work for someone else and learn the business. Depending what part of the industry you are intetested in, depends on things you have to know. It’s all different.

Second putting 40k down you could get whatever you want. New or used. Buying a truck either way is a crap shoot. New ones have problems and when you think, yes well it is under warranty. Don’t kid yourself, those repairs are plagued with issues sometimes. Plus dealers generally put those at the back of the line over cash paying customers. Used your paying out of pocket. Last June I lost a turbo and it damaged some emission system items. Total bill w/towing was $19,500. plus 10 days of lost revenue.

3rd wether you run under your own authority or lease onto a company. Both are complex with their individual issues.

My point is it is not just put some money together, buy a truck and money starts pouring in.

I have been at this 3 years as an o/o and 7.5 years driving. I spent 3 years prior to making the jump in setting up a plan that I could make work for me. I have done ok, nothing great, but ok and I’m happy with my results.

Wishing you succuss in the future.

Page 1/Www.facebook.com of 122