Comments By Chuck

• Chuck
  • 1 year, 6 months ago
  • Comments:

Some Confusion About the Use of Sleeper Berth at Shippers/Receivers

I was only simply stating that right now the least of the issues for him should be whether he should use the 8/2 rule or not which is not really helpful in my opinion but that is me. I prefer to keep things simple and concentrate more on the issues that are more complicated or deserve more of my attention. Learning these rules at this point where Don is at isn't something that one should really be concerned with. My apologies if I stated the 8/2 rule incorrectly, but it does seem to better suit teams versus solo. Plus the last time I read the rule it states that it needs to be consecutive, plus that is how they relayed it to us in school.

Some Confusion About the Use of Sleeper Berth at Shippers/Receivers

Don, I would also suggest that you not really worry about this as well. It will be discussed in school when you go and honestly the instructor here at Crowder thinks that the rule should just be a solid 10 hours and that is it since it is less complicated but the 8 and 2 rule has to be consecutive in order to comply with that rule. So meaning that you have to 8 hours sleeper berth and 2 hours in the passenger seat or not driving in order to satisfy the rule which is still 10 hours. So if you run solo you couldn't really satisfy that rule like that in my opinion since if you are gonna sleep or be off duty just simply do your 10 and be done with it. You are unlikely to be even able to do a complete 10 in a shipper/receiver anyways so I would not even worry about that and concentrate on the things that matter to you at this moment. When you are go on the road with your trainer you are going to learn how to do things when you need to do them to satisfy your HOS and be in compliance.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Need a bit of encouragement today

As Brett stated above do not look at going through company paid CDL training as a burden. They are investing in you and just want to recoup the investment back when you work for them. Most companies require a year commitment after school and that is nothing when you think about it and remember something that another member said, this journey is a marathon and not a sprint. Anything in life worth doing takes time and dedication even when we don't want to do anymore and all of us can understand that completely. As anyone that has struggled with life or through school when it gets hard to handle but we keep pursuing our dreams and we come out on top it is that much sweeter. I can attest to that, I just finished CDL school and had some trouble with my backing maneuvers on the test but yet when I was in the practice yard I was doing fine. So when I would test I would fail, and let me tell you I was beginning to think I wasn't cut out for this career but I kept practicing and kept listening to people that were encouraging me and didn't let myself quit even though I wanted to. I am so happy that I finally made it and the feeling was absolutely incredible knowing that I did. Look at it this way, either way both avenues are a big commitment of your part that will require you completing school before you can start to drive, but would you rather pay your own way and then be financially committed to that loan each month for how ever long the payoff is or would you rather have school paid completely and then just have the one year commitment to a company while you are getting paid in the year and no school loan to pay either???? Many companies have good programs that can fit your needs. Just do your research if you are serious about this. Good luck

CFI School diary

Congratulations!!! I knew you could do it.

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Thanks Brother, it was a tough and trying few weeks but I am so glad I stuck with it and didn't let myself give up. I appreciate all the encouragement even at times when I didn't really want it. :)thank-you.gifthank-you.gif

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

CDL physicals repeated at schools?

I did not read all the comments but if you just had your physical recently you will NOT have to do another physical for them. You will only need to do the Urine Drug screen and Hair Follicle test. I wouldn't actually worry about all the stuff you have to do right now and just concentrate on making it through school and then getting back to CFI. If you already spent the money you will get reimbursed by CFI once you are actually an employee and get through the Orientation. One step at a time.

CFI School diary

Congratulations!!!! Only reason I checked the diary page was to see if you passed! You are on your way. Best wishes for safe passage to Solo status.

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Thanks Gtown. I appreciate it. Thanks to all the others as well. I will check out the article.

CFI School diary

Venting is fine. Better not to let it stay inside until you have a meltdown behind the wheel, piloting 80,000 lbs.

About you getting into an auto, versus a manual, here's something you may not have thought about: suppose that auto transmission goes into the shop for ten days at a dealership. Company gives you two options- sit there on it, or we have a loaner truck you can use. BTW, it's a ten speed manual. Which would you choose? Something big picture to mull over.

Good point Packrat and that is something that I never thought about, I just wanted to get this portion over with so bad so that I can actually get on to the real learning on the road and become that driver I know I can be. It is with a very happy heart today that I report that I passed my second drive and I don't know how many points I had but I DON'T CARE!! I am a CDL driver now and that is all that matters!! So now I wait until Friday to go to CFI to begin my orientation until I take my week off to go home and see my wife and then go out with my trainer. I want to thank everyone that has encouraged me along the way and listen to my rants just to be able to blow off some steam. This site has been a great resource for me and very happy that I have found it. Let the journey continue!

CFI School diary

Thanks to Jmart, Brett and Gtown. I know that I will get this it is just frustrating that I failed by only one point. I guess not only that but I let myself get to that point. I know I can do this but when that kind of stuff happens it is a real downer to the confidence level. I know and understand that there will be all kinds of situations that I will encounter and need to be able to handle them with calm and patience. I just feel that when testing to be able to get the CDL is so much pressure simply because it is required to even move on to the other things that will happen when out there on the road. I just needed to VENT some steam and frustration to help me calm down and try to relax a little bit so I am not holding on to it. It did help me some and I am happy that I have this forum to do that knowing that others will also understand how I feel. I will be able to retest maybe tomorrow (Wednesday) or maybe Thursday. It depends on the schedule since there are other students on the list as well that will finish this week also. I did another practice drive today and the instructor that went with me this time said I did well, just critiqued a few things that I messed up on but otherwise a good drive and did all my turns and stops safely. I will most likely not leave here until this Friday now since my classmates that I was with here at school are already at CFI for their orientation. I am bummed that I will have to wait a little longer but relieved to some degree that I only have the drive left to do and then I can relax for a little bit until I begin with my trainer. It did not go according to plan but I am still in the game so I have just taken it into overtime is all. Time to knock this drive out of the park and get started on the rest of my career.

CFI School diary

So I FINALLY passed the maneuvers on the the CDL test but I failed the drive today and even though I feel that I did fine and I was not at any time unsafe or took my turns incorrectly but grinded a few gears and supposedly left my foot on the clutch a couple of times which I think is total HOGWASH!!! I maintained the integrity of the truck and did not at any time drive unsafely but yet still failed!!! I missed the CDL by one lousy stupid point and before anyone asks how many practice drives I had let me tell you this. I have had lots of them but I am apparently required to be a professional driver already after only 3 whole weeks of actual driving behind the wheel. I felt that I did well enough to pass the test and get on with my training at my company since that is when a lot of the skills come into play and the learning really begins. To say that I am disappointed would be a severe understatement and fed up with this whole process and how it seems that they expect you to be perfect when it comes to driving a truck. Not to mention that I am going to be getting into an Automatic when I am done so who gives a rats behind whether I can drive a standard or not, I can tell you that I couldn't care less and before you tell me that I will need it save your breath. I am telling you this because I am ****ed off and want this to be over. The critiquing of every little detail is monotonous and way over done in my honest opinion. We are all human and grinding a gear happens and did not at any time make this drive unsafe, I even have confirmation from my instructor that the examiner told him that my drive was excellent except for these stupid things. One point, is all that stood between passing and not passing.

CFI School diary

I am still at school. I had some issues with the 90 degree alley dock maneuver. I am retesting on Tuesday and hopefully everything goes as planned and I can finish school and go on to CFI. It has been a rough past week for me despite doing well in the practice range. I have been very busy with things this past week so I have not been on here.

CFI CDL Training

Good luck Jmart and each person has to do what is best for them. I am sure you will be great no matter what. I will be done with school in less than 2 weeks. Orientation and then going home to relax before I go out with my trainer. Take care and keep us posted.

To Drivers Who Went to CFI's CDL Program

Don, I am currently at Crowder College through CFI and the training is superb but each person gets out of it what they put into it. Lots of practice and studying the Pretrip inspection. I know that CFI uses both schools because they have a good reputation and train their students to be the best drivers they can be but the learning is an ongoing thing once you get into a truck with your finisher and then your own truck. I believe that Crowder is the first place they put students and then overflow is sent to Truck Dynasty but I am not 100% on that assessment. CFI decides ultimately where they send the students, but the training is the same time frame. As what Rainy had mentioned do not get completely hung up on where you would be sent to but what CFI can offer you when you are finished with school. I can also tell you that our instructors tell us that Missouri has the strictest rules and regulations on what training is required for the CDL test, meaning that more is taught to the students than is required by the CDL requirements. So in my opinion that is good to know so that I am being giving more than necessary so that I can be the safest driver I can when out on the road, you are given the tools needed and then it is up to us to put them to use. I hope this helps.

On another note, when at Crowder you do not need any money for food or housing. Only money needed is for laundry and walmart runs that the school provides via bus on Mondays. If you have a vehicle of your own then you can go whenever you want. All meals are provided at no cost to the student. Weekends too!

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Has anyone heard from JMart?

Riot, if there is anything that you would be concerned about I would be upfront about it right away and let the company decide if it is something they feel uncomfortable with. It is when people are not upfront with things that creates the problems, better to put it out there no matter what than have it found out later then they know that you lied and then the trust is out the window. I feel that if people admit to mistakes they made when they were teenagers and young adults it is better than not disclosing it. Companies understand people make mistakes and often learn from them and they understand that if it is explained at the time. People often times that stuff like that won't come out yet it always has a way of happening and companies will find it when they look for it.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Has anyone heard from JMart?

Glad it is all going well Jmart. I bet you cannot wait to get into your own truck. I am finishing my second week tomorrow. I'll tell caleb you say hello. Mid terms tomorrow. Then a hard push next week to get ready for CDL testing.

Article By Rainy - The Mental Side of Trucking: Decision Making & Judgment

Very Very good article, thank you Rainy for the helpful information we can all use and learn from.

CFI School diary

Well we are in our second week of school and we are doing more driving each day along with practicing parking maneuvers as well. Each day the drives do get easier each time you do them and they are on different routes each time. Each person in the truck does the same route that the person before does so that each person gets to do that route and know what each route entails. I am definitely feeling more confident in each of my drives, the downshifting is definitely the most difficult since you have to be able to time the shifting to each low gear and the RPM of the vehicle. It does get easier but it does make one want to pull their hair out when it is hard to do.....LOL. I can honestly say that it does get easier with time and the more you do it. The instructor is very helpful and patient. I must say that the training here at Crowder is excellent and if you do what the instructors tell you and practice it you will learn it. I am very happy with my decision to come to CFI and encourage anyone that is looking for a company that wants you to do well and be treated fairly then CFI is the one you want. I encourage everyone to do their research and make the best decision for themselves and their family since that is the ultimate goal. CFI is investing in the company and that to me is a very good thing when it comes to working for a company that is going to be helping me to also be able to provide for myself and my family. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have and I will do my best to answer them.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Calling Big Scott. Ring..Ring...

Don, I am at Crowder for CFI and we have not gone out on the road yet. Should be doing that this coming week, I have only been here for one week so far. Our class is ahead of schedule so we will probably get some things in that other classes have not simply because we are doing well with what we are doing. It is not always like that, it just depends on the instructor and how well the students do in that class. I really like the training I am receiving and the instructors do a good job of making sure we are getting what they are teaching us. It is very hands on and that is something that is necessary in trucking. I have 13 actual class days to go until we Graduate, Good Friday is an off day and the rest will be class and driving range/road time with testing done the last week I believe. I am excited about finishing and moving on to get my trucking career started. Good luck with whatever it is that you decide to do.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Best Cell phone companies for truck drivers?

I currently have Tmobile and here in Neosho Missouri the service is not great. I have wifi at Crowder College in school for training for CFI. I bought a prepaid phone for AT&T so I have another option. The service is a little better but still not perfect, but all the carriers have dead zones and weak areas so I don't think there is one better than the other as a whole since they concentrate on all the metro areas due to population census. I am happy with Tmobile as a whole but currently signal is low. Hopefully OTR they will have service in most of the areas I end up in.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

CFI School diary

Riot, I am almost positive they feed you on the weekends. As far as driving there, CFI pays for the bus ticket. If you choose alternate transportation, they will reimburse up to the cost of the bus ticket. If you have your car there and go right out with your trainer after school, you would leave your car in the driver parking area. Or you would go home after school and orientation to wait for a trainer. Then you could leave the car home. If you drive, you will be the most popular guy in school. I hope that helps.

That is true Scott. Usually people ask if they can tag along to go to Walmart or something since the bus only takes people that need to go on mondays only.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

CFI School diary

Chuck, at Crowder, do they furnish free meals over the weekends?

How many students are in your class?

Do you recommend driving your own vehicle or taking the bus?

Good luck and keep us updated.

Yes they do provide meals on the weekends. Breakfast is the only thing not available on the weekends since it starts at 7 am during the week. We started with 6 and down to four. One had to go back home to correct his license due to the state he is from made a mistake. Another was sent for some other reason related to his past that crowder couldn't allow. He is now at truck dynasty. I wish I would have e drove actually, just because the bus trip was very long and without a vehicle it's hard to go anywhere. Crowder is not close to anything by walking.