Comments By Chuck

• Chuck
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Automatic trans vs. manual

I am currently in school at Crowder College in Missouri through CFI and the school has all there trucks as Manual transmissions and yes most of CFI's fleet from what a couple of my friends that work for them have told me. I would kind of like to have manual just to be able to continue to hone that skill but in any of kind of city driving an auto would be nicer. But being that I am currently training in a manual I won't have to worry about that restriction so an automatic as my first truck wouldn't exactly bother me either. :) I am looking forward to completing school and start driving OTR. Good luck.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Road Test - Right Turn on Red

That has to be dumbest reason to fail someone on a road test that I have ever heard of. What the heck is wrong with that person? I mean would they rather you pull out at the wrong time and cause a wreck instead? Man you should have been commended for being safe and passed. Sorry about the misfortune you had, bang it out on Tuesday and be done with it.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

TMC newbie Diary

On another note be safe and good luck in your new journey. Keep the phone away and the rubber side down.

I am at Crowder College in Missouri training for CFI. I will be done on April 13th.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

TMC newbie Diary

Dan, I am interested in what medications you had to get verified. I have been diagnosed with ptsd but have been taken off the meds. I was on lexipro. Also I am on a CPAP. Would you mind expanding on what types of red tape you had to go through to be approved?

Sorry that it has taken so long it's been really really busy as far as what meds I am on I'm on venlafaxine prazosin and hydroxyzine and it's mostly from my PTSD got that all cleared up. As far as the rest of my training goes all this week has been driving training backing up and road tasks morning and afternoon rotating I finally getting that 45゚ backup and road test is really easy. I take my cdl test on Wednesday. We lost one of the 6 in my class because the dumb dumb was on the phone while he was doing that back in maneuvers on the course so they sent him home immediately. You would think that people would be smart enough not to be on the phone while training in a really big truck.

On his phone during training??? What a complete IDIOT!!! Doesn't have anyone to blame but himself.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Total Newbie Here

Hang in there and never give up on your dreams. Of course the failed drug test is a blemish and companies worry about that but it does not mean that someone won't eventually give you the chance to be able to fulfill those dreams. Take it one step at a time and if it is meant to be then the timing will be right. People all make mistakes and we hopefully learn from them and not make them again, only time can prove that. Keep your head up and know that if you stay the course and fight for yourself. You have done all you can on the research which is good and not many do that and realize that this isn't the life for them. I am currently in school for CFI and I am pleased with how things are going right now and cannot wait to get on the road in fulfilling my dream as well. It all starts with a dream, where we take it from there is up to us.

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

CFI School diary

So I am finally able to access the internet with my laptop here at Crowder College. It has been a long week since I have not been able to access much of anything and keep up with all the happenings here on TT. So as I had stated earlier today I am trying to help others by keeping a diary or my time here at Crowder College so that others will know what to expect if they choose to apply at CFI to work as a OTR driver. 1) Make sure to pack enough clothing for 7-10 days so you have clothes to wear when you do your laundry. The dorms have beds but no bedding so you will also have to bring that instead of a sleeping bag. Just my preference but to each his/her own. They are twin beds so cover, sheet and blanket should be enough. Also do not forget your Pillow. 2) Bring snacks if you have room in your bag to do so just so you have them to snack on when you get hungry if you take the bus to get here which CFI provides to you. You can drive if you wish but more on that later. 3) Shoes or sneakers whichever you prefer and a good pair of work boots to have when with your trainer after school. 4) Shower and bathroom items are also needed so that you can shower and such, toothpaste and toothbrush...these items are often forgotten when taking a trip. 5) If you have a cellphone or computer you can bring it with you but the phone service here at Crowder is not the best so be prepared for that. You will not get a wifi sign in until the following Wednesday after you arrive here. 6) Now on the school and the training they have here it is top notch and the instructors are very patient and work with you so that you learn what you need to know for when you are a driver and start working. Caleb is my Instructor and I really like him a lot and his personality is very laid back and he is very understanding when you make mistakes which you will do for sure. Be patient with yourself it will come along even though at times it does not feel like you will. I have improved thus far and have only been here for one week so far and have never driven a Semi truck in my life. 7) If you do decide to come to CFI trucking I can personally tell you that I am very happy I did and they have not once told me anything that was untrue or steer me in the wrong direction. One last thing for now, you will get out of this program or any program on what you put into it so it is all up to you.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask in case there is something that I have not covered here. Big Scott and Jmart are also very good resources to ask questions to as well.

Until later, I hope this was helpful. Chuck

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

CFI School diary

So I have been in a Wi-Fi and internet purgatory here at Crowder college thus why I have not posted any updates. I hope to later today post some new info after class so I can inform anyone with questions.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

New trucking career not looking good for me

If schneider is willing to hire you then you may want to go that route and get some over the road experience and then move on from there and that may help. Keep doing it until you have exhausted all options before you give up. Good luck

Another Newbie Here

Good luck to you both and I hope it all works out and you can begin to make a decent living, I am at CFI in Joplin in Missouri and very pleased so far with all that they have to offer. CFI is upfront with all that is expected and required of students and has a good reputation as a company. I am happy with my choice and have begun a diary that will detail all my experiences with them, be sure to check it out. Be safe and learn all you can.

CFI CDL Training

Hey Jmart. I am at the hotel in Joplin after the first day of drug tests and contract signings. Great first day, leave tomorrow am for Crowder and will start school on Monday. Talking with Scott, he is gonna message you when he can for you to contact me so we can chat hopefully. He told me you are out with your trainer so I understand if you cannot right away. Whenever you get a chance is fine. I will be at Crowder this weekend so it's all good. Good luck with the trainer. Hope it all goes well brother.

Chuck

CFI School diary

So today was my first day at CFI headquarters to do my drug screens and go over our contracts. Took awhile since 7 of the new students needed physicals as well as the drug screens. When we finally finished that we went to meet momentarily with the Recruiter before we ate lunch at the cafeteria at CFI. They pay for that which is a decent lunch honestly. We then met with the recruiter after lunch and went over the contracts and questions regarding it. She answered all of our questions and was very friendly and described what it means to work at CFI and what they expect of their drivers. Let me just say that it was exactly what I expected and was already told by Big Scott which was a good proponent to helping me make a decision. I had other companies in mind but CFI did have the most of what I wanted and sounds like a company that cares about their drivers and wants them to succeed. I will keep updating this when I am able to daily to keep you all aware of how the process goes. Hopefully we have internet and phone service at Crowder College which I am told is in a small little town 30 minutes away from CFI. Class actually begins on the 19th.

Leave Tomorrow

I will keep everyone posted on updates. I will try and post daily on my school updates and what is happening. School starts on Monday and Drug screens with some other stuff tomorrow.

Leave Tomorrow

Hey Chuck, good luck.

You taking the Greyhound or driving your vehicle?

Is CFI sending you to Crowder or Dynasty?

And please let us know how things progress.

Crowder is where I am going. Took Greyhound here, going to drive a rental car home for break.

I Got Good News

Congratulations to you and be safe on your new journey. I to am leaving tomorrow for school before orientation after that. Good luck and let us know how things are going.

Leave Tomorrow

So tomorrow I leave for Joplin Missouri for school with CFI. Do hair follicle and Urine drug screen on Friday. School will start on 3/19 for 4 weeks. I will update my progress along the way for those of you thinking of attending school. I am looking forward to this journey and could not have begun to do this without the Awesome support of my Wonderful Wife. Let the journey begin.

Sent My Student Home

Good advice for many of us that are getting into trucking. I am going to try and take all that I learn and apply it to help make me a top tier driver. I have done a lot so far just to get this far so I cannot afford to take it easy and not take it seriously. I quit a job that I have had for nearly ten years to do this so there is a lot riding on me to do well and be as smart as I can be when learning.

Sexism In Trucking From A Woman's Perspective

Rainy this is such a great article, very well written and makes so much sense no matter who you are. I totally agree that in today's society there is too much emphasis put on people being the victim and coddling them. I understand that it does happen and the real victims do need to get the special attention when they are actually victims. But when things do not go your way simply because it does not suit you does not make you a victim. If people want to be treated fairly and given equal opportunities then they must work for them and prove they deserve them by busting their butts to get them. I appreciate this article and how you tell it like it is and don't sugar coat anything. The one on facebook is no doubt not cut out for this industry and she didn't like the truth in her face approach. LOL.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Sometimes looking isn't enough.

So glad that this was not worse than it clearly could have been. We talked about this tonight on the phone and I am going to make a mental note to make sure that I do a tug test each time that I am stopped for any length of time or after fueling just to make sure there aren't any problems. Proof that you can never be too careful. Be careful brother and hopefully once I am in Joplin we can meet up finally.

17(+2)/88/107 - UPDATE & fleet option change

I think that no matter what job you do work is Work and you must be happy in doing it or it isn't worth it no matter how much money you make. If you can make a decent living working at something you love then that is half the battle, and also be able to spend time with loved ones. I am going to be taking on this journey called trucking next week when I start school for CFI and I am looking forward to learning a new skill and becoming a good driver. I am willing to do what is necessary to try and accomplish my goals. Nothing ever worth doing is ever easy, I believe that if one believes in themselves and works hard then nothing is impossible.

Arams diary!!

Congrats, look forward to reading about your journey. I begin mine in another week as well.