Comments By Banks

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0713843001517459213-77771.jpg avatar
  • Banks
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

U.S Express Walmart review update. My pay and is the account good in my opinion.

Curious what are the differences in how US Xpress handles Walmart vs Walmart's Private Fleet? What makes them better?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

Walmart's private fleet works for Walmart. They use Walmart's tractors, they pay very well and offer all the benefits of working for Walmart like 401k match, employee stock plans, employee discount at Walmart and other businesses etc.

Working on a Walmart account for a carrier, you're an employee of the carrier. It varies based on carrier. You're using your companies tractor and pulling Walmart trailers.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Mistake on Swift application.

TMC were calling and emailing me even after filling the application out and submitting it, said I'd have no problem then, all of a sudden there was no communication so I started calling with no return calls. Finally called the recruiting line and they just said "We've decided not to proceed any further."

They did the same to me.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Career change, looking to go local

Companies that I know of that provide training are Pepsi, Reinhart food service and McLane food service. OTR companies may have dedicated accounts in your area that get you home more often. Go up to a local distribution center (Walmart, target, Lowe's, home depot etc) and see what trucks are going in and out. Chances are a lot of those drivers get home multiple times a week. Then reach out to those companies see if they offer training and if they have any openings on those accounts.

I got my CDL through FedEx Freight's driver apprentice program. I wrote a diary about my experiences and you can read about it here

FedEx has opened the program back up in a few markets, but your problem will be location. Vegas is one of those areas that doesn't have trouble keeping their ranks filled. If a spot opens up ,it's going to an employee in good standing based on seniority and employees all over the country are going for that spot. Same with any terminal in Florida.

I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Big News! Off-Topic but I kind of grew up here (been on TT since I was 20) so I must tell!

Congratulations Daniel. I'm really happy for you and I'm excited to hear about this new adventure smile.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Hair Follicle Testing

Nobody is trying to convince you to go with Swift. The comments defending swift are for those lurking and future readers. It's the largest carrier in the country and they hire rookies which means they'll have a good amount of accidents. They're also the largest for a reason.

And yes, you can go work for your buddy that requires 6 months experience but your buddy isn't the one requiring that experience it's the insurance company. That means that the insurance company decides who gets hired or fired.

Let's say you get your 6 months experience and you go work for your buddy. Within a year you hit a car in a parking lot, scrape a truck at a truck stop and hit a pole at a customer. It happens all the time. Your buddy's insurance company is going to say "this guy is a liability, we can't insure him". Your buddy is going to tell you that you have to go.

That's the difference between a small company and swift, prime, roehl etc. Those companies are self insured. You can do all 3 of those things and as long as you own up to them, tell them what you learned and what you'll do differently you'll still have a job.

We're not here campaigning for these companies, we're here trying to get you to understand the way you're making this decision is wrong. You're willing to decide an entire career over a 24 hour bus ride that isn't mandatory. You can rent a car or buy an airplane ticket if you want. You should want a large company with an extensive network of support for when you need it.

You're honestly too picky for somebody in your position. You have no experience, no license, a hair follicle test is tricky and you're in an area most companies have no interest in. Yet you have demands of someone in a position of experience and an excellent service history.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Hair Follicle Testing

So, with no name or picture, did he quit the site or did a moderator?

I looked up side effects of Lortab (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) and was going to talk with him about that. Oh well.

Laura

That's a different hair follicle thread. They've been very popular lately. I believe that one was stated by Sean.

IDK what happened to ginger here though.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Hair Follicle Testing

I understand saying no to companies for some reason or another. I said no to PAM because they required me to team with another rookie for 6 months. I said no to CRST because teaming isn't for me. The wall you're hitting here with swift is that the only reason you say it's not for you is because of what other people said.

I have a question. If you know so many people that moved on from swift and have been happy at their current companies for years, why don't you try one of those companies?

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Hair Follicle Testing

I'm all for the conversation, Brett. Sometimes people need to have that conversation and it takes some work to breakthrough. People come here for information and sometimes that information has to be corrected.

The post approval is your call, but I have no problem with it. Let him state his case and the information will be provided. From there, it's his choice what he does with it. All we can do is state what we know and wish him the best.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Hair Follicle Testing

I worked at a Walmart DC before going to FedEx Freight and I think Walmart is a great company. I wasn't part of any clique and I didn't get any special treatment, I just went in met production goals and went home.

Prime isn't hiring out of Florida and they're not the only ones. Few companies hire out of Florida, that's why paid training would've been your best bet. You pay all this money and put in all this effort to find out that you have no options because of your location. It happens all the time.

As for being a number, I prefer it. Give me my assignments and make sure my check is right. We'll get along golden.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Turn Around

You see, that's the thing. I never said it was factual when speaking of testing former drug users. I used terms like "suggest", "may", or "can".

Because of the likelihood of false positives, one can easily worry about the likelihood of testing positive even after quitting, even without the evidence. Which once again goes back to the original concern of the OP.

Ok, I really gotta get some sleep. Have a good weekend yourself, Banks. This was fun.

I always enjoy these, it's when I keep hitting refresh. Get some rest Turtle, take care.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Turn Around

Yeah we know that. That was never the point, but you keep dwelling on it. Surely you're not going to deny the possibility of increased positives among black former drug users vs whites.

Not just whites, any ethnicity. There is no evidence that suggests anything different. You saying it doesn't make it factual.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Turn Around

It's discriminatory only in the sense that a person of one ethnicity may test positive for a drug and another tests negative, even though both may have quit at the exact same time.

Where does it say that?

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Turn Around

I don't need to post any links. It's all right there in his original post. Regardless of what you or I think, regardless of what you or I read or believe to be true, his original post only asked what we knew about hair follicle tests, and how long one should wait.

You took it in a whole different direction when you accused him of pulling the race card, which was my main point of objection, and something you've still failed to address.

I'm done with this.

If you say so, Turtle.

Because saying a test is discriminatory isn't playing the race card.

That's not what he said. He said he knows the test is discriminatory and that makes him anxious, but it's not. I'm still waiting to see evidence that it is.

I said I searched for it, couldn't find it. I said I'd admit I was wrong if you could provide a link or some evidence. I'm guessing you couldn't find one.

Have a good weekend.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Turn Around

So we've established the fact that the test is in fact discriminatory, even if unintentional, at least based on some studies. He was right in that regard, true? So the quote above is factual.

He was wrong because the tests results in false positives. He would not be a false positive.

Nowhere did he find fault with the test. Nowhere did he say the discriminatory nature of the test would be the reason for his failure.

He said he's worried because dark coarse hair holds a positive result longer for drug users. I haven't seen that anywhere. If you find it please post a link. I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong.

He simply showed a concern for how long to wait before actually taking the test, due to the longer period of detection that apparently happens with dark hair.

Again, I haven't seen anything that indicates a longer period of detection in drug users.

It doesn't say anywhere that a drug user with dark coarse hair will have detectable traces in 5 months, while the detectable traces in a drug user with thin straight hair will only last 3.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Turn Around

As you now see for yourself, the dark, coarse hair can hold substances longer then lighter hair, which is the exact thing Garrett was concerned about.

I never saw that. Every article I read going back over 20 years says substances in the environment. Not 1 article discusses hair holding substances longer for an actual drug user.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Turn Around

I got that from here

Now, the test is a bit discriminatory. I’m a black male and shorter, more coarse hair holds chemicals longer than thinner, straighter hair.

There is no evidence of this from people that used drugs. The discriminatory argument stems from false positives, not actual positives.

My issue with the post is not the seeking advice, my issue is finding fault with a drug test. He is saying he's worried because he believes the test is discriminatory. The problem with the test is the drug use, not discrimination.

And a hair follicle test doesn't have to be from the head it can be from anywhere on the body. If you're concerned that the hair on your head may bring a false positive due to substances in your environment, have them get it from somewhere else.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Turn Around

I did a quick research on the hair follicle test and turns out, Auggie and I are right.

The argument on the test is that dark, coarse hair can hold substances longer leading to a false positive. For example, you get a dollar that has cocaine residue on it and you touch your hair can lead to a false positive.

It doesn't say anywhere that a drug users results will be affected. Seems to me that it's you, Turtle that needs to stop lecturing and get off the soap box.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Turn Around

I'd love to see the data to support your assertion that black male hair holds chemicals longer.

Take 30 seconds for a quick Google search and you'll have all the data you want. Numerous studies are suggesting that dark hair can in fact attract and retain chemicals longer than light hair. It has something to do with the melanin levels.

You spent time doing drugs and now their test is racist. "I've been clean for a month but they use a racist test".

That inflammatory misquote is just wrong. We have enough problems in this world without that word being watered down to almost no meaning anymore.

Garrett said the test was "a bit discriminatory", which is worlds apart from being racist. If you'd spent just a little time researching before jumping on your soapbox, you may have had something useful to say.

The OP came here with an admission of drug use, and a request for advice. That's it. Save the lectures.

Not a soap box, Turtle but to be clean for a few weeks and blame the test is making excuses. That's like hitting the pole and saying it came out of nowhere. If you go into this career rattling off excuses without having done anything, we know where that's going to end.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Turn Around

Bottom line is quit doing dope and get in line to get a good paying job with no excuses. Stay clean and work at McDonalds until it's out of your system

THIS!!!

You're making excuses for something you have control over before you've done anything.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Automatic vs Manual

I disagree with some of the above advise, while yes a lot of companies have autos there are still a lot of manuals around. Having a automatic restriction will only limit your options down the road, more so if you desire to go local.

Depending on the state you might have to take the whole CDL test again to get the automatic restriction removed. Why go through the whole test again?

I agree with this. While most companies are moving to automatics and the restriction won't make it impossible to find a job, it will limit your options. From what I hear, FedEx freight is 90% automatics, but they will not hire you with an automatic restriction. Same goes for many other companies that still have manuals in their fleet. If you have the option, test in a manual.