Profile For Banks

Banks's Info

North East, PA

Experienced Driver

5 years ago

Banks's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 day, 17 hours ago

Trailer brake lever

It applies the trailer brakes. Think service brake that only affects the trailer. I only use it to apply the brakes during my pretrip to check the brakes and brake lights. Other than that, I don't use it. Pulling in while driving can have some bad consequences.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Share Your Numbers From 2022 - How Did You Do?

I made 86K. I had some issues this year outside of work with may have contributed to the lackluster year and the last quarter definitely didn't help. I'm expecting a better 2023 with the more senior guys sampling the retired life with this furlough.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Happy new year! How slow are you?

I've been working about 3 days a week. I applied for furlough last week and then I was in a car accident a few days later. Car was deemed a total loss so I backed out of the furlough because I'm going to need paystubs to get a loan. I don't want the headache of trying to get a loan while on unemployment.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Headlights on or off?

Always on, company policy. Hazards on when in the yard.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Mileage Pay?

Similar to Turtle, FedEx will pay additional miles if I need to reroute. Depending on the situation, there are times I don't bother putting in the request.

drive on I-5. To cross Portland (mm 288 to WA state line - about 20 miles) it can take 20 minutes or more than 4 hours! Even at $.60/mile that 4 hour drive across Portland works out to $12 - or $3/hr. Seattle, Sacramento and LA are all worse.

FedEx will pay delay pay for those situations. For example, one Saturday night I had to go to Providence. I thought to myself "it's Saturday night, the George Washington bridge should be clear".... One lane open, I sat there for almost 3 hours. I put in the delay request with FedEx and it was approved. I was paid my hourly rate of 33.12 an hour for sitting there. When I started rolling, back to my mileage rate of 0.7587 CPM.

Posted:  1 month ago

No hair follicle test

I've never seen a tailgate party. People stop for their break and that break is long enough to eat, clean up and sleep. Not a lot of room for socializing. This makes me think of when Billy Madison went back to highschool.

Posted:  1 month ago

Idea for a new forum, maybe?

I wouldn't need it. FedEx has accounts with hotels local to their buildings which is a vast network.

When I'm curious about businesses in an area I'm unfamiliar with, I turn on the location settings on my phone and Google them. For hotels, I'd type in "hotels near me" and make a decision based on those reviews. If you're looking for hotels that take specific cards, it may take some more work, but that's also something in not concerned about because reimbursement isn't an issue.

Posted:  1 month ago

Pre employment test results

But, in my opinion, a failed pre-employment should stay between the employer and the testing site.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but the fact is that the law requires all failed/refused preemployment, random and post accident drug tests be reported to clearinghouse. That goes for licensed drivers and permit holders.

Posted:  1 month ago

Shredded tire protocol

Thinking about it, Kearsey and G-Town are right. A blown tire is instant OOS and the right thing to do is stop as soon as it's safe to do so.

Posted:  1 month ago

Shredded tire protocol

There's a few things to consider, first being safety. I want to see if the tire isn't going to shed anymore and that it's not rubbing against the other tire.

Then I consider the weight. If it's empty or really light, I'll consider how far I have to travel. Because this was his rear trailer, it may have been really light or empty.

Assuming the trailer was light or empty, if I have a long distance to travel, I'd stop somewhere safe and wait for road side assistance. All delay pay for me. If I'm not the far from domicile, I'd drive 55-60 until I get back.

Posted:  1 month ago

Happy New Year 2023

High would be going linehaul and getting an assigned truck without having to slip seat. She's at 821k miles. I also became a driver mentor for new drivers. It's frustrating and rewarding at the same time.

The only low I can thing of, is the lack of freight and the uncertainty that comes from it. It's out of my control, but a low nonetheless.

In 2023, I expect freight levels to continue to decline. When FedEx resumes their training program, I plan on applying for an instructor position. I like knowing that the lessons I've learned have helped others and I want to continue to pay the opportunity given to be, forward.

Happy New Year, PackRat and the trucking truth family.

Posted:  1 month ago

People asking for money

Growing up, my aunts and uncles were all addicts. I saw what they did for money and what happened to them when owed somebody money. I've also seen what withdrawals do to people.

Because of that, I always give people money when they ask. I also don't know what people are going through and I'm fortunate to be in the position I'm in.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Winter storm

90 miles later on I84, it was 0 degrees and high winds. Going across the Newburg-Beacon bridge on 84 WB was scary. Cross winds were bad.

I know that area very well. The Newburg Beacon bridge is sketchy on nice days with moderate wind. That's why the speed limit is 40 MPH, but everybody still does 65.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Winter storm

My policy is if I can’t safely drive at the minimum speed limit, I should get off and get parked.

Getting off and parking is a little tougher in the LTL world. First, finding a spot to stop in a storm is almost impossible. Even more so if you're pulling doubles. Daycabs are also very uncomfortable when you're sitting for a while. And the worst part, it's a holiday weekend so nobody is coming to rescue you one the weather clears. That's why tracking weather conditions is important. If it's not safe, refuse to go out.

They may have comments, like what Rob is experiencing but I'd rather deal with that than being in an accident.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Winter storm

We are running a skeleton crew today due to most of our customers being closed. Being towards the bottom of seniority list, I’m in today. Its currently still just rain here in the Philly area but as the storm pulls away the temps are dropping below freezing and winds are gonna really pick up. Having a little anxiety about the flash freezing thats gonna happen this afternoon during my shift. I have many years of experience driving in snow/ice from my landscaping days but I have zero so far with these tractors in snow/ice.

Talked to my dispatch last night about the projected conditions, he said we dont have too much road work today, mostly dock. If the roads get bad, he will reschedule the road work and we will just stay in.

I track the weather on the highways I'm expecting to travel on. For example, if I'm going to Ohio I'll check the weather updates in Hubbard, OH, Brookville, PA, Snow Shoe, PA and Williamsport. That's about every 80 miles. It gives me a good idea of what to expect.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Winter storm

I guess my terminal was closed because when I called in nobody answered. So I called central dispatch to let them know I am not running and he said no body is, they canceled everything and are counting it as a holiday I guess.

I thought we were bad with communications. There's a number we call that has weather updates to let us know what's happening. Dispatchers will shoot a text with specific updates since the number provides very generic information.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

At a Crossroads

I'm home daily and I made about 90k this year. Freight slowing down killed my momentum. I agree with what's already been said here.

People don't consider the cost of being home and commuting. I put a little over 2k into my personal vehicle about a month ago. I spend about 45/week on gas. My utility bills are high because electric everything and it's winter.

If I didn't have a family, I'd choose OTR over home daily and live in my truck. I'd also never lease or try to buy a truck. I was outraged over the 2k price tag for my car, imagine my response to truck maintenance. It wouldn't be pretty.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Winter storm

Every driver I spoke to will also be calling off tonight and tomorrow morning which is my scheduled gate time.

We're off Friday and Monday for Christmas. Worked out this year with the weather being what it is. I volunteered for Monday, hopefully I get something.

I always laugh whenever I've called in to jobs I never give them a reason. All that matters is I'm TELLING you I'm not coming in.

I've never been asked why I'm calling out. The only question they ask is "do you want to put time in?"

Off topic but boss man called me Wednesday when i was 10 minutes from the yard and asked "Would you be willing to take a trainee out tomorrow and friday?"

I had a trainee this week. One of the last ones we have, since the training program has been suspended due to lack of freight. I'm glad it'll be done for a while. Training adds so much time to my day and limits what runs I can take due to HOS concerns and making sure I'm available for the times I want to run.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

The importance of pre-planning!

I've apologetically ruined many drivers vacations asking for specific directions on how to get a customer.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

I plan on becoming a School Bus driver for New York State, but have two questions.

Most school bus companies already have resources in place to help you get hired. Apply and explain your situation when somebody reaches out.