Profile For Banks

Banks's Info

North East, PA

Experienced Driver

4 years, 6 months ago

Banks's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  3 days, 13 hours ago

Lost CDL due to high blood pressure passed Medical test now

You should be fine without the refresher course. Most companies require at least 1 year experience in the last 3 years or 3 years experience in the last 5 years. Anything outside of that would require a refresher. Put out apps see who bites.

Posted:  6 days, 10 hours ago

Bored to tears.

I did and I went to Pepsi for a brief period of time. I quit when they wanted me to wear 2 masks and safety glasses over my prescription glasses.

It made me realize how much better FedEx is and I went right back.

Posted:  1 week ago

The First Truck Stop You Slept At?

Banks has accepted his stature, though. On another thread earlier, he wrote that he is a "road driver".

If he were in a real truck, he could be considered a truck driver. Luckily, he knows the difference. Finally.

rofl-3.gif rofl-3.gif rofl-3.gif

That cut a little deep lol

Truth is, truck drivers aspire to be road drivers. The line is longer than the line for space mountain.

Posted:  1 week ago

My horrible experience with Schneider training center in Phoenix AZ, read before you apply

Hotel had not that great pool and jacuzzi.

Not what you're there for.

I explained them multiple times in a five years old language that it doesn't make sense

I can imagine that went over well.

115 degrees in shade, muuch more under sun.

So what? In the real world you have zero control over weather conditions.

but their own drivers in the yard we're not doing it at all or they were just walking around the trailer and tractor.

Mind your business.

He was screaming and bumping on the dashboard or the body of trailer to tell me why I am wrong

He probably wasn't getting your attention any other way.

He kept invalidating whatever we learned in the trucking school, telling us they are wrong and we do it differently at Schneider.

That's how every company does it. That's why they have orientation for new hires. It's why company sponsored training is recommended.

Drink choice was world worst coffee in Styrofoam cups!!

I'm going to have to have a talk with my bosses. We don't get coffee.

I caught them using drug or fainting under drug influence multiple times in hotel parking lot under shade. Reported to front desk and they did nothing

Again, mind your business. The front desk doesn't deal with that, not sure what you wanted them to do.

They made me to wait for cops for 6 hours in the lobby

No they didn't. You chose to wait.

I asked for proof and they said sorry that is what it is we cannot show you anything

Most businesses will not allow customers to view surveillance footage. It's a privacy issue.

Hotel manager even didn't meet with me after this incident.

You are not a paying customer. The manager doesn't care about your issues.

Either someone was billing Schneider and actually were not supposed to be served that, or Schneider really cannot afford a decent man's meal for its trainees abd better to reconsider if they really want/need more employees.

I'm surprised they didn't name you King of Schneider. You know so much more than everybody else. Did you try explaining it to them like they're 5 years old?

you literally pay for your own daily food and commuting!!

The horror!!

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

The First Truck Stop You Slept At?

Rest area in Preble, NY. I was pretty tired and decided to stop. Napping in a daycab sucks.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Paid CDL Training - Maximum Home Time

I got my training through FedEx freight. I applied for a driver's apprentice program and I received about 240 hours of 1 on 1 training. I don't remember what the pay rate was when I did it, but I hear it's currently 26/ hr with a bump to 31/hr upon completion. That number varies by region, I'm in the North East corner of Pennsylvania.

I'm currently a road driver. I work about 9 hours a night and make about 1800/week gross.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

How long do you need a license?

I meant employment. Autocorrect put in enjoyment.

Job history isn't optional. It's not a carrier requirement, it's a FMSCA requirement.

You can apply for company sponsored training, but they'll more than likely say no.

You didn't really answer my question and I'm a little more confused now. Is your disability depression?

Posted:  2 weeks ago

How long do you need a license?

The year requirement isn't a licensing requirement, it's a hiring requirement. A CDL isn't a guarantee of enjoyment.

The lack of job history will be a problem for most carriers. I'd suggest getting and keeping a job for at least a year before applying for trucking jobs or trying to get a CDL.

Your disability will be a problem. If you're getting disability for depression and anxiety that means there's a medical diagnosis. You won't be able to get a DOT medical certificate without jumping through some hoops. You'll need a doctor to sign off on your depression being under control. Are you on any meds? That can also be a problem.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

How long do you need a license?

Generally, it's a requirement to have a license for at least a year.

What are you on disability for? Have you had stable employment? Those will be bigger obstacles than how long you've been licensed.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Looking into trucking as career change..

I don't know much about LA, but it sounds like it wouldn't be fun for a local gig. I know that Fedex linehaul drivers in California get paid hourly instead of CPM. That might help with some of the traffic, but I don't know if I'd want to do it.

I received about 240 hrs of one on one training before FedEx sent me out on my own. I felt confident in my abilities by the end and that confidence was gone when I was on my own because I was overwhelmed with everything.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Should I commute for ODFL?

But to spend $800 for a studio in another town on top of whatever bills you already have seems like an absurd idea if it may take a year before they're eligible for a transfer.

I agree with this. The part of LTL that gets ignored is there is no guarantee of work. The lower in seniorty you are, the higher the chance of sitting at home. There's also no guarantee of that transfer being available or that you would get that transfer before somebody else.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Thinking of teaming with my kid

Cut the cord.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Promissory Note

Ok so he is running under FedEx’s DOT authority

All contractors run on FedEx's authority. FedEx requires contractors to be insured and sets the coverage requirements. It's not likely that the contractor didn't have insurance.

My guess is this guy is not the most reputable and running his operation on a shoestring

Most of them are not reputable and they're all operating on a shoe string.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Should I commute for ODFL?

I would say no. First, for the reason Packrat stated.

Second, freight levels are low. I know it's low at FedEx and I've heard it's low at ODFL as well.

The last one will vary by person, but I'm so busy in my day to day life that I barely make it work on time now and I have a 15 minute commute.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Promissory Note

See he doesn't even do retention pay, and when the hot season starts in November, all the guys with dedicated runs end up losing their runs to seasonal people and then they run bull****, my friend who worked for Steve told me about it

Contractors don't pay detention pay and I work for FedEx directly. I have no interest in dealing with contractors.

As for the seasonal stuff, I don't know anything about that because it's a contractor issue and it'll vary contractor to contractor.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Promissory Note

In my experience, FedEx ground contractors are scumbags and the FedEx ground dispatchers aren't much better.

FedEx ground contractors run that way for a reason. It's all about the money. They get paid twice in different ways

1) the per mile rate. This covers expenses like payroll and equipment. This is how you get your money

2) the bonuses. This is where the contractor makes their money. Bonuses are paid out based on a percentage of success. They have to be successful 9x% of the time. That's why they can't stop.

There are contractors that will deduct a lost bonus from the drivers pay. It happened to me when I was delivering packages for ground.

During COVID, FedEx ground contracted FedEx freight to help them with their linehaul runs because they couldn't keep up with the online orders. I was able to dish it back to their dispatchers and it felt so good.

My first day running linehaul for ground, they made me wait 4 hours for a load. When they finally had something for me, it was too long for me to get done on my available drive time. They insisted it was all they had and I calmly told the dispatcher "I've been here for 4 hours. I'm going to sit in my truck for another 30 minutes and if you don't have anything for me by then I'm going home and you're only getting those extra 30 minutes because I'm getting paid to sit here". Her response was "you can't do that". I told her "guess we'll find out in 30 minutes". After those 30 minutes I went back inside to see if they had anything closer, they did not so I called Central dispatch told them to put down 4.5 hours of delay pay and set up my trip back home and they did.

The next day that same dispatcher had a trip ready for me when I got there and I didn't even have to wait in line.

The moral of the story is don't work for ground contractors. They suck and so do their dispatchers.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Not a trucker......

I got my start at FedEx freight, being home everyday. I work with a guy that's a volunteer firefighter.

FedEx has their days setup to be no longer than 12 hours. Most p/d guys work 10 hrs a day and linehaul days/nights vary in length.

I went into FedEx freight with a permit and they trained me, scheduled and paid for my CDL road test.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Taking right turns into parking lots and driving test

It's a legitimate fear. I work with a guy that failed his road test because he hit the curb going back to the DMV. The tester told him he would have passed if not for that. He thought she was joking because it was the the of the exam.... She wasn't.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

For the ltl guys. Thoughts on T-Force?

Dammit banks you’re right. I always forget about possible dock work. I want as alittle of that as possible. I also forgot about the current contract situation and tfi vs the teamsters. Great points man thanks.

A lot of people frown on dockwork, but it's not that bad (at least in my experience with FedEx). My run is 102 miles each way and I work the dock 3-4 hours. I work 45 hours a week and make 1,700-1,800 a week.

my meet has been canceled twice this week because the other terminal which is one of the largest doesn't have freight to move through the Chicago area.

That's why I'm keep bidding where I am now. I never get cancelled and I have a lot more free time. Our meets are also getting cancelled or we're sending empty trailers to bring back loaded ones. It's a little different, though because we're in Pennsylvania and not in the middle of the country.

That is the first I have heard of that. They just spent all that time and money on T Force only to rebrand it to CFI already?? Seems stupid to me.

First I've heard of it too and I stay on top of all of the LTL stuff.

It has been in the plan since the beginning. The size and scope of the deal makes it take more time.

How does that work with the union and why are they spending money on creating a brand just to abandon it?

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

For the ltl guys. Thoughts on T-Force?

I don't know much about their freight levels, but they're going through growing pains.

They're still sort of UPS Freight. They're using UPS technology, on a UPS contract, with the same leadership that was in place when UPS ownedb it. They have another year or two before they gave to relinquish the technology and they're currently going through contract negotiations for 2023.

As of today, health insurance is 30/month (not sure about who it covers) and from what I hear it's a great plan. They offer a pension that pays out 110/month per year of service and a 401k ( I don't know if there's a match) . I think the magic number for the pension pay out is 80 (age+years of service=80).

Their equipment is still pretty old, but I don't see them on the side of the road as much as I used to.

If it's an end of the line center, it's possible that all of their runs go out at that time. It can also mean that you report at 12 and work the dock.. if they have a run, you go out. If not, you stay on the dock. The needs of buildings vary and these things are at their discretion. You'd have to reach out to them directly to see what it means.

Personally, I'd avoid TForce right now. I don't know what the separation from UPS is going to look like and the contract negotiations are quiet. There's also no history (in this country) between TFI and the teamsters, so there's no way of knowing how it's going to play out.