Comments By Yuuyo Y.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0901447001526481702-77936.jpg avatar
  • Yuuyo Y.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Moving CDL to a new state!

If you transfer your license, make sure you get real ID.

I did that and didn't even know real ID was a thing because my original state did it my default. Now I have one that says "not for federal identification"

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

New driver failed drug test

Another example to add for my motto of: "It's not you that gets you in trouble most of the time, it's the people you know."

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Driver appreciation week

Doesn't take that long if you do it yourself.

smile.gif

I've unloaded plenty of times myself and it definitely gets done quicker. Unfortunately nearly everywhere I've done it no longer allows us on the dock due to covid. They didnt even need to downstack anything just take the 8 pallets off. Charged me $60. Atleast they didnt charge me over $400 like Sysco last week for a couple pallets.

I can assure you I profited quite nicely from that

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Here's a tight (FUN!) Dock

Its truly amazing the docks some places can come up with. Someone has to look at it and say " yes let's try to cram a truck in there multiple times a day."

I find it surprising that they send combo’s to stores like that. Would make sense to have a small box truck division(reefer and dry) for those stores to minimize the chance of an Incident.

Shoot! Don't be surprised at all. Usual response is, "We get big trucks in here all the time." Liars.

Me the sysco guy - what size trucks do you usually get?

Them - oh a full size one

They don't know the difference between a 28 and a 48

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Going local

You say that, but I just got done with a 65 hour week. I'm still getting around 51-52ish in 4 days, and worked 5 this week. At least you get to go home though (Although if things went south yesterday I would have to have spent my sunday morning driving back and getting like 3-4 hours pf time)

13’6” clearance!!!

There's a bridge I often see labled as 13'1. Even with a 13'0 trailer I avoid it because it's easy; if it said 13'5 or so I might go under it.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Anger - Not from trucking, it's a personal matter.

Sysco has guard shacks? shocked.png

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Old Dominion announces new pay raises

I'm here sitting at 27.55 and I thought we were paid a high amount.

How Much First Year

I got a local foodservice job and my first year (2019) and made $81,000 while making $7 an hour less than I am right now. It was only possible because they were severely understaffed and would hire any warm body they could; as of right now things are quite different.

The only other driving job I tried was Schneider in summer 2018 for about a month, and that didn't go so well - so I was basically still brand brand new.

I paid for my own training so I wasn't bound by any contract.

Scenario for new drivers

I've seen trailers left like that with less than the length of the tractor between the kingpin and a building.

I don't know how they accomplished that.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

What is your trucking pet peeve?

4 wheelers who pass behind you when you're backing up from the street

Going local

Dude, the Minnetonka/Wayzata area SUCKS driving a truck through in the winter time.

Going local

Go out and help other people on their routes

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Dollar accounts teach you how to park it!!

And I hate doing those kind of parkings in a 42 foot trailer with a daycab

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Interesting conversation with a driver

Real drivers work foodservice and back up 48 foot trailers in residential neighbourhoods into retirement home parking lots uphill with lots of low hanging trees, snow and ice on the ground, and cars parked on both sides of the street and around the entrance to the lot. rofl-2.gif

I Need Help; Trying To Switch Companies

I don't really feel like explaining all the hassles and headaches that come with putting semis in busy commercial places meant for cars or neighbourhoods, so I'll just give one example from Friday.

Please back up your 48 foot trailer blindside downhill into this alley I've marked with a red X if you can't see it. Or you could sightside it going uphill, but if it was the winter time with lots of ice and snow then I don't think that would work out well either. Also the google maps image does not show how overgrown with trees/added fencing the right hand side of the street is now, and while backing up (at least with my skill level), I had to pull up and backwards about 5 times because my steer tires were near the curb with how long a trailer I was given that day.

Fun!

Every Sysco is different. They're managed different with different issues and some might not even be union. For pay, mine had switched to full-scale after 1 year. Right now, at 4 (long) days a week, I'm pulling in the same gross as what used to take two 70-hour weeks.

I recently had a 120 hour-period which ended up with a gross pay of $4,200. A 100-hour period is giving me something around 3300 right now gross which is what 140+ in 5/6 days used to take for me to be able to gross.

I would like to correct you on "the faster you work the more you get paid." That's correct and incorrect. The route itself that they give you has a set dollar amount based on cases, stops, pickups, drive time, etc. No matter what happens, that's your base. You're paid the greater of hourly OR what the route was worth. E.g if your route was worth $250 and you magically finished it and clocked out within 2 hours, you made $125/hr and 250 that day. If you took 14 hours to finish it, you made $453 that day. If you want to make as much money as possible on incentive, you finish your route as fast as possible AND THEN go help people or do misc work they might have for you for the rest of the day up to 14. Then make sure to fill out the delay sheet.

This isn't the place to learn how to drive a truck; I don't know how I survived.

And in regards to hours, even when you're done with your route you might not be done. Even if you're over your 14 you can still be hauling groceries as long as you're not driving the truck. Here's the keys to the van. Here take your car, we'll pay you milage. Hey, you finished your route in 10 hours can you go help X, Y, Z. Hey, you're back and it's 14:00 but we had a driver take the truck back to the yard because he wasn't feeling too well. Can you finish his last 4 stops he brought back here? Can you pick up so-and-so because he ran out of hours; you still have a 16-hour clock today. Enjoy starting late tommorow.

Hey, can you come in on time tommorow for this route? I know you won't get a 10-hour reset, but we'll get you a driver.

I Need Help; Trying To Switch Companies

McLane does the same type of job I do except I only ever see them at night and they tend to have 53's and sleepers. They also deliver to a lot more national chains than we do.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Starting pay for TMC Transport?

Your friend is working 90 hour weeks? Thats how long he would have to work at $18 and make 1600 in a week.

18 * 40 = 720

1600 - 720 = 880

880 / ( 18 * 1.5) = 32.5

40 + 32.5 = 72.5

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Best Schools for New Drivers

HCC northeast

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Career change, looking to go local

If my name hasn’t given it away already, I’m in law enforcement and looking to leave. I have been looking at getting my CDL. I was wondering if there are any companies that provide paid training here in Vegas for local routes. I’m unable to be away from home for extended periods so OTR is kind of out of the question for me right now. If there aren’t any companies that provide paid training for local routes, what companies will hire new grads for local routes? I’m willing to put myself through a CDL school if necessary.

Check for CDL B jobs. I paid my way through school, and thought that you had to go over the road. I drive a cement mixer and will make somewhere north of 50k This year and I didn’t start till the 2nd week of February. There’s lots of options out there. I think a lot of folks steer clear of the CDL B jobs because they start between 18-20 an hour. But almost all have overtime and that’s where you make your money at.

I agree with what they preach here though I wouldn’t want to be trying to deliver pulling a 53 ft trailer to some of these business That’s a recipe for disaster.

From working at Sysco, the OT pay doubles your pay. Since 6 hours * 1.5 = 9 and you look at 8 hours regular vs 6 hours OT on a 14.

I've had some weeks with all near 14 and some with all 8-9 and it's massive.