Profile For Don

Don's Info

Wooster, OH

Experienced Driver

3 years, 2 months ago

Don's Bio

Ex-longtime Nurse now driving a Daycab hauling corrugated boxes in Ohio, plus PA, NY and IN.

Posted:  4 days, 6 hours ago

Wait time...

I watch my paystubs like a hawk! In fact I made a milage pay Grid so I already know what I will/should get paid for the runs I made for the day.They have been very good with paying all milege, stops and other pay. It is rare I have a question or need to notify payroll of an omission.

😅😅😅

I have never been paid for the first 90 minutes, and neither have any Wooster drivers that I know. The ONLY time I was paid the entire time at a consignee was when they sent me a couple hours earlier and I waited 3 hours. Then, I had to remind JB twice.

The longest I have ever waited to get unloaded has been about 3 hours. Thankfully, that has only happened a couple of times. We don't get paid detention during the first 90 minutes. I really dislike that policy.

Yes, you do. For example, if you are at the consignee for 3 hours; you'll get paid detention for the FULL 3 (including that 1st 90 minutes.) Tom does, anyway!

~ Anne ~

Maybe a talk w/ Jim bum is due? Happens here, per the 'me' secretary! (I check all papers and checkstubs; how I found YOU were a D.O.M. nominee, remember?!? I read everything!)

Now, you've got me on 'double check and check again' mode; but I'm pretty SURE it is.. here. Maybe they're shorting you ?!?!?

~ idk ~

Posted:  4 days, 6 hours ago

Wait time...

I have never been late for a delivery, UNLESS the load was dispatched late, which does not happen often. Our company pay sheet specifically States detention for one stop loads is after 90 minutes. I want ti know what Anne's Hubby's secret is for getting all detention paid.

And I think detention gets thrown out if you're late.

0527203001618593073.jpg

Posted:  4 days, 11 hours ago

Wait time...

😅😅😅

~ Anne ~

Posted:  4 days, 11 hours ago

Local driving is so good!

It is rare that have a 5 stop load, but when did, the consignees were fast to unload. We are a "no touch freight" company.

You have no control over unload time; sometimes consignees are quick, other's may be as slow as molasses straight from the freezer [...] the only negative I see is dependent on how quickly the consignee unloads the trailer.

It all depends on how a local company operates. Apparently, my schedule is different - I leave the terminal fully loaded and have 5-10 deliveries, once I am done, my tablet receives a few pickups, all in the same area. Loads are usually 1-5 pallets, and I have a full control over time. Once I back into a door and come in, I can either let dock people do their job with a forklift or grab my pallet jack and take the load from the trailer myself. Either way literally takes minutes. And in rare cases when they tell to wait (even 15 minutes), I call my manager and he tells me to leave. The OT unfortunately starts only after 50, though...

Posted:  5 days, 8 hours ago

Wait time...

Posted:  5 days, 8 hours ago

Refresher and who does not hair test - midsize company

My radar always goes up when someone's first questions pertain to "who does hair follicle testing?"

Posted:  5 days, 8 hours ago

Local driving is so good!

Yes, in cities especially, there are definitely older dock locations that were not built with 53' trailers in mind. You will no doubt enjoy local driving. Unlike OTR, time management is almost non-existent, really. You only have to manage your break. You have no control over unload time; sometimes consignees are quick, other's may be as slow as molasses straight from the freezer. For me, that usually determines my capacity for earnings for the day. We get assigned a load (or loads if multi-stop) go to stop A, get unloaded, next stop (or back to home base for next load), etc.. I like the fact that with my company, the loaded trailers are ready, we just get our assignment and go. I just get back to home base, get my next trailer and deliver that load or loads and come back. Repeat as many times as possible in my 14 hour window. Again, the only negative I see is dependent on how quickly the consignee unloads the trailer.

Posted:  6 days, 1 hour ago

Overweight and punished

First, call your Dipatcher back and remind them that there are Federal coercion laws and let him know you will be checking with FMCSA. Second, call is to Safety and tell them your situation and that your Dispatcher is threatening your job if you don't take an illegal overweight load. Also remind them about Federal coercion laws. Once you take that load, you are on the hook. Third, who has the authority to fire you at your company. Do not let your Dipatcher push you around.

I am overweight..the catscale is: 11460 34840 33800 80100..i have less than 1/2 tank of fuel and more than 700 miles to go...the shipper cannot take off only unload completely...my dispatch is mad at me because i won't roll...they won't cover the overload ticket...there is an open scale house either side of me...now i am being punished..and told that i will have to wait for them to send another driver to take my load...i don't want to drive illegal..never had this issue before...not sure what to do...my dispatch didn't like my concern and said he could just have me turn in my truck...i am so saddened to be treated like this..i am a great employee...

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

So, this happened

I rememberTransport America and CFI were "Sister companies", but are they merging into one company? I often pass by the TA terminal in N. Jackson when delivering to Customer's in the area.

What's a finisher class?

Because Transport America is going to be part of CFI and we do things slightly differently, we are trying to pick the best of each to make one. I am honored to be chosen to be a part of this.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Serious question on OTR trainers ....

With CFI, I had an excellent trainer. Then, when I started with my current company, I had to go through four weeks of training. The first trainer was excellent! Again, I was fortunate. Then, the last two weeks, the second "trainer" was worthless. Never paid attention to what I was doing, talked/lied non-stop about how well the company loved him, talked to other drivers on his phone constantly which was (thankfully) a reprieve for me so I did not have to constantly reply "mm..hmmm...." I do not know anyone who could deal with 12 hours of non-stop (and I mean that literally!) spouting BS. A couple times, I had to "kiddingly ask" him to give it a rest. Having to listen to him was more exhausting than the driving, etc. was! Thank God I only had two weeks with him. When I finished, my boss asked me how things went with "trainer #2," so I told him. He replied, "well, maybe he did not think you needed any training since you had some experience." It is a roll of the dice who you are going to get.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Bad experience or am I the problem?

Although I believe a trainee has to make minor compromises and deal with some issues not to their liking, if everything the OP stated is factual, then I don't think he is the issue. No way in Hell would I put up with the garbage "trainer #3" is committing. To my understanding, a trainer is supposed to assist training a new driver to make them a competent driver and has the skills to be out solo. A trainer does not have the right to insinuate, swear at, threaten or just be an all-around d**k because they think they can. If the trainer is intimidating or threatening with violence, he has to be reported. I thank my lucky stars I had s terrific trainer. I can only imagine how many new drivers fresh out of school have quit because they were paired up with incompetent jackwagons.

A funny thing is actually most turned out to be very productive. Everyone one is different and as a trainer it's your job to find out what works or doesn't work? Your job is to teach and make money for your company...I was a firm believer that as a working supervisor, if my jobs made money it was my fault, and if my jobs didnt make money it was still my fault......I only had one that sent home in over 10 years of working and training. The little **** still has my borrowed fat max tape and torpedo level.

Respect goes both ways, but can tell you if the above statements were correct and we have no reason to not believe the poster.

If I had been in that situation it would have been a one time event, no more chances, after I made good and sure that he knew to let's keep this venture on a professional and business like level from this point forward..

Plus would clarify that MY wife or MY family is of no one and I mean no one elses concern and that in all reality it would be best to keep statements about my wife , you know RESPECTFUL and NORMAL...Period.

I am just a man like anyone else. Not claiming to be tough here

but if I had been eyeballed, talked to like that and then had it backed it up with words and a stare down, in a two on one situation between two ****head friends and myself

Job or no job, cab ride home, hitchhiking or whatever it took after to get back home after the altercation

Someone would have been picking up some teeth, maybe me, maybe both, but that would have been where a straight left followed by a right hook, few possible uppercuts and maybe even a few good kicks would have been talking for me.

I will be the first one to apologize to the poster for their behavior and hope you do not give up until you get the training you signed up for. By a competent person with some integrity

...Not a moron whose wife probably wears the pants in the family at home, so he has to act all tough and billy bad a## to someone who clearly, undoubtedly needs his help! As a matter of fact his help would be vital to the trainee..

Not to mention isn't a trainer someone who has already agreed to help others by being a trainer?

O wait he probably signed up just for the pay increase and is on the brink of losing everything anyway, including his wife...just a hunch.

The trainer is who better have some tough skin, this idiot would not survive on a southern commercial job site for long! That I do know!

Posted:  1 month ago

Should I keep my CDL?

Frankly, I could care less if you "hang 'em up" or not. That is on you. Stating that, I don't think you will last long because you whine too much. But, since there are women who have been driving for years, no reason you can't also.

Wrong Zack. Nobody wants to see you “hang up the keys”. Which is why we’ve been trying to help. And if you feel you’re a crappy truck driver that’s on you. You have to cut down on your dramatics man.

Zach, seems like you are staying with Swift. Glad to see it. I figure if you can do it with all the troubles you experience, (irrelevant if they are self made or not) anyone can do it. If you make it through all this crap, it will toughen you up and make you one hell of an employee. One thing I can say, you may vent on here a lot, but it seems like you keep coming back for more and one way or another keep going. Its easy for commenters here to criticize you, but at the end of the day, seems like you are still employed, still moving ahead with training and not going away. I respect that.

I guess it boils down to the fact as crappy of a trucker as I am and as much as certain people would like to see me hang up the keys and find something else I have financial responsibilities and people depending me. Washing out isn't really an option.

Actually quite a few folks on here would like me to do just that. Don, G-Town, Packrat just to name a few off the top of my head.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

So I decide to walk away on the 3rd day of company orientation

With the uncertainty and all those little surprises, it really hit me that I thought about overdoes or cut myself, that the point I realized, I GOT GO, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR ME

Reading this comment alone, I believe you that no matter what employment you seek in the future, you must first get help with your psychological/emotional issues, no matter what job you are getting into. Good luck

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Lost my medical card. :(

rofl-3.gif rofl-3.gif rofl-3.gif

Https://www.truckingtruth.com/truckers-forum/Topic-29627/Page-Newest/should-i-keep-my-cdl- “excepted intrastate” so that you don’t need a current medical card. Of course it severely limits the circumstances where you could drive a cmv , so it’s pretty much just to keep from being downgraded. But you can get a new medical and change back to “non-excepted interstate” if you need to in the future. I suppose another issue might be if it costs more to renew a cdl , in which case you’d have to decide if it’s worth it when the time comes. But like others have said, there are cdl jobs other than driving a tractor-trailer, like delivery, trash, dump truck, cement truck, bus driver.

MAYBE THAT CAN HELP YOU?

2 New question (sorry don't know how to make a separate new comment) So here in this reply is the QUESTION.

If you have a CDL that is currently downgraded because you did not need to pay again for a medical certification, because the job now was not needing anything except a regular license, is it important to get another medical certification OR just apply for EXCEPTED intrastate? Meaning if you do NOT apply for another medical certificate and the License expires in June 2021, will you NEVER be able to upgrade again? Or like it says above, even though you have a CDL that is downgraded, can you still drive and renew it (although downgraded) and then change back to MEDICALLY certified in 6 months or whatever in the future.?

WHy? Because may not want to spend the 100 bucks to get that card right now. BUT will do it if you say, once your CDl is already downgraded, you HAVE to upgrade it with a medical certificate BEFORE it expires?

For right now only need a "EXCEPTED INTRASTATE" that doesn't need a current medical card. ...but do NOT want to lose CDL privileges. The State DMV already said they will take a photo copy of the New medical card if it is sent into them, but they were rushing and did NOT explain if you can to a "Excepted intrastate".

Help?

THANK!!!

You're really late to the party with your first post.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Starting a truck career with anxiety?

The chance to NOT HAVE TO travel via the Grey Dog more than once should be motivation enough to find out 100% what meds a company will or will not pass before heading to orientation. The horror stories I could tell about Greyhound!

Instead of that drug talk to your doctorabout trying Lexapro if it is necessary to put you on medication for anxiety.I have passed my medical exam while taking it.It's use is for both depression and anxiety tho.

Effexor does both also: "Nerve pain medication and antidepressant. It can treat depression, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and social anxiety disorder."

Again - THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS NOT WHETHER YOU CAN PASS A PHYSICAL (as in - the drug is not BANNED by FMSCA regs), but whether the drug is ACCEPTABLE TO THE COMPANY.

I just renewed my med card at the local clinic that's done my original and renewal for the last 8 years. Least expensive guy in town ($30), in and out in 10 minutes (including the time it took to fill out the long form, and walk down the hall to pee in a cup). Essentially - if you have a pulse, can read the eye chart, BP in normal range, no sugar/etc in urine - this guy will pass you.

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING.

Just because a drug is NOT ON THE FMSCA NO-FLY LIST, and you have a good doctors note - DOES NOT MEAN THE COMPANY ITSELF WILL BE OK WITH IT.

MAKE THE EXTRA EFFORT TO TRY AND FIND OUT IF THE COMPANY ACCEPTS THE DRUG BEFORE GOING TO ORIENTATION.

The greyhound sucks to begin with - I'd hate to see ANYONE HERE have to ride it home for a month, then back again - because they thought they had their "ducks in a row", by having a doctor note (or even a DOT Med Card) in hand, from a NON COMPANY PHYSICAL.

I keep harping on this, because we've had a number of members here HAVE THAT HAPPEN TO THEM

Rick

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

What made you want to be a driver?

Frankly, the idea of driving in solitude appealed to me. In my previous career, working around a hundred other employees who were also stressed, patients and their families who were emotional wrecks (rightfully so) and requiring emotional support along with their physical needs was causing my own issues with severe burnout. Physchologically and emotionally, I had to get out and find something else. Oh, I have to deal with people who are angry, don't like their situation or other similarities, but I am stressed much less, my health has improved and I enjoy what I am doing for the most part.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Need help making a decision

You cannot receive better recommendations than those offered by Turtle, Old School and Errol V. Stating that, I started OTR for a couple of months and then went local, and do not regret it. I had no issues adapting, and have been to a few consignee's who had docks located in some tight spots. City traffic requires you to "be on your toes" so to speak, constantly.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

What is a Good, Safe Universal Speed

As previously stated, the speed you travel is based on weather, road and traffic conditions and your comfort level. Not to mention, using the common sense God hopefully gave you.

If there are no adverse weather or road conditions I usually travel the speed limit or under. Of course, this depends on the location or type of road. City = 25-35mph limit? You better believe the speed limit or under. Have to pay attention to those red light cameras, not to mention drivers that do stupid things. County, State route or Highways? Again, it depends on the type of road ("winding" declines, etc.) but generally, speed limit or under. State and Interstates are usually the only routes where Imaydrive above a speed limit. 55-60mph? May go 5 over. But if the speed limit is 65-70mph(?), I definitely drive at or below. I want to make it home every night, so I control what I can which includes speed.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Questions about local driving

I always ask myself if the transportation and delivery segment of work occupations consists of a higher (or the largest) percentage of BS'er's than most, or it's a gender or "generation's" thing. I have seen and heard more BS in my almost three years in this industry, than in my entire life previously.

Steven, you list yourself as a "Rookie Solo Driver" with two posts. Then you regale is with all these dirty "facts" that OTR driving:

requires the greatest amount of skill and discipline because you are constantly visiting new shippers/receivers that you've never visited before. ... more unexpected situations (especially backing in random docks), more dilligent trip planning, more route analysis, etc. ... tractors ... have an inferior turning radius are significantly more challenging to back up than day cabs that local drivers use.

How do you come to this conclusion?

Local drivers don't always have the same route, the same stops. Most Pickup/Delivery (P & D) includes those "unexpected situations", and surprise, surprise, day cabs have a shorter wheel base than sleepers, but both being tied to 53' trailers, the turning radius is about the same. (I've driven both types of tractors.)

Now let me throw some arithmetic at you:

In OTR, you will be at a new-to-you dock about every 2-3 days. In between is miles/hours of interstate road, the easiest kind of driving there is. Yes, you have surface street and tight traffic for a while, but local driving has that local stuff all day long. With 4-8 or more stops every day.

Finally, there's a reason the Bigs don't like to put rookies on local assignments: they are more dangerous than OTR.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Questions about local driving

I am making money as I text. You? You are "Plumcrazy" indeed if you think anyone is taking you seriously. You are right about one thing "Someone has to do it (this job), though." and I have serious doubts you ever will. At least you have some of the old stale Truckdriver slang down. Are you reading the Cliff notes version of l101 Truckin' Slang Words by Big Daddy Diesel?

As I was saying, I will think this whole thing over some more before judging this fine craft of gear-floating. Please drive carefully, slow down on greasy roads and be safe!! Trucking, like soldiering which I have been already, probably isn't for most people. Somebody's got to do it though.