Profile For Don

Don's Info

Wooster, OH

Preparing For School

Don On The Web

3 months ago

Don's Bio

I am interested in OTR driving. Scheduled to attend CFI's CDL training starting April 26, 2018.

If you would like to contact me, my mail to use is dongoho624@outlook.com

Don's Photo Gallery

Posted:  15 hours, 31 minutes ago

CFI at Crowder College

The sun will rise tomorrow morning.

Well, looks like I wasn't the only one to have a bad day. Tomorrow is a new one, brother!

Posted:  15 hours, 33 minutes ago

CRST - Training Adventures in Cedar Rapids

Hang in there, Jeremy. You can do this.

Posted:  23 hours, 52 minutes ago

CFI at Crowder College

Well, I failed the air brake portion of my pre-trip. I did not press hard enough on the pedal (needs to be above 100psi) during the air pressure loss test and I started too soon with the one minute timing test. Everything else was fine. Retest tomorrow.

Posted:  1 day, 2 hours ago

CFI at Crowder College

Chuck, I did not see your response.

Good luck tomorrow. Make that turn I told you about. Did you see my response??

Posted:  1 day, 15 hours ago

CFI at Crowder College

I don't know if I'll relax, but I think I will breathe. Lol.

Just relax and breath. You Wil do well.

Posted:  1 day, 17 hours ago

5/22/18, Day17

Today, 3 classmates took their tests. All 3 passed the pre-trip and parking. The first one out failed his drive due to "riding the clutch, missing gears and downshifting". He is Puerto Rican with little English skills, so I cannot speculate more. The other two passed all 3 phases. We practiced parallel and offsets all day while the others took their tests. I did not do well today on parallel for whatever reasons. Just chalk it up to a "bad day". I go first tomorrow, bright and early at 7:30am. I am not sure if I will sleep well tonight or not.

Posted:  2 days, 11 hours ago

CRST - Training Adventures in Cedar Rapids

Exactly. Keep up the great work and keep on training!

we are not training for a job because currently we DO NOT have a job. We are training for our CDL and also taking part in one very long interview process right now. Which is exactly what this is... We are monitored in almost everything, from the amount of time we spend studying to how early or late we show up for class. Lots of things go into our training file and all of those things combined are taken into account when the company reviews the original job application we filled out.

Wow, Junkyard... You guys get night drives? This is me jealous all over again!

Well, we start testing on Wednesday, as well. Though, some people will have to start a day later or so depending on when they got their permit.

For a moment or two, there was confusion on my part, but now Wednesday is definitely the day. But because we have so many people, I might only get to take one test a day for three days or something similar for two days.

Not much else to report today. Got some more driving practice this morning. Then we had a detailed lecture this afternoon about backing up. I took a bunch more notes and I'm hoping I can remember all of them by Wednesday. I've had three occasions to practice backing now, so with all the new notes, something should click by test time on Wednesday.

I've got two new roommates now, and neither one speaks very much English. I'm not a racist by any means, but I can't help but wonder what paperwork they filled out to get here, and what tests they will take now that they are here. Not to say they can't read and write better or more than they speak, just saying it's probably going to be challenging.

Well, happy Monday, everyone!!!
Make it a great week!!!
smile.gif

Posted:  2 days, 12 hours ago

CFI at Crowder College

Old School, I feel I have very good "control" of the truck. I haven't had any deductions for lane changes, encroachments or anything that could be perceived as any kind of hazard. I haven't rubbed any curbs or such. I do worry that during my test if I turn my signals on too early or late, miss shifts (even though I recover and get back to a gear), "coast" when stopping and other smaller points, I will get points, points and more points until I point out. I am sure I am just being a "worry wart" about the testing.

Hey guys, driving a truck is not black and white. What you're calling inconsistencies may just be differing driving styles. That doesn't make one of them legal and another not as far as testing goes. The testing agent wants to see some degree of confidence and competence in what you're doing. A missed gear may not even count against you as long as you recover well from it.

I messed up multiple shifts back in the day when I got my CDL. I still remember the lady who rode with me commenting on it after we were finished. She said, "You missed several gears, but you always got it right back under control like you knew what you were doing. So, I didn't count that against you."

I'd be willing to bet that if you took an instructional drive with me, then G-Town, and finally Brett, you'd be saying, "Man, those guys are confusing me with conflicting information." Each of us may do things slightly different. Don't get yourself confused splitting hairs. Just drive the truck like you know what you're doing. That is what they want to see. They're not looking for perfection right down to the details of the RPM's and what gear you came to a stop in.

They know you guys are really green, they just want to see that you are in control. That is what makes them realize that you can be counted on to be safe until you can start perfecting your new found abilities.

Posted:  2 days, 12 hours ago

CFI at Crowder College

I will do my best, Scott. Thanks.

Good luck Don. Remember they want you to pass. Just do it. Try not to over think it.

Posted:  2 days, 15 hours ago

5/21/18, Day 16

This morning we had our final (book) exam, and turned in our trip plan exercises. I, and two others were done with our tests, so an instructor told us three to come with him as we were going to go on a road drive. I'm like "good, I need the practice." Well, it was a graded road drive. I went first, and thought I did fine, but not great. My score was a 97. Was I happy? Yes, but he must have graded on a very favorable scoring method. I was better with my shifting, but I still had a couple missed shifts and other minor things I felt I did not do well. One thing that has irritated me a little is the inconsistant between instructors. One states you cannot "coast" at all when coming to a stop; another (today) says you can the length of your truck. One says stop in 5 or 6th gear, but no higher or you will get point deductions; another says 7th is fine. One says rpms are to high before upshifting; another says rpms are okay. The inconsistancy is the only complaint I have with Crowder. Everything else is great!

After lunch, we practiced all our backing maneuvers. I have the 90 down and the offsets are my 2nd best. Passenger side parallel is good, because I can use the driver side white boundery to guide me in. Drivers side, which to me is more blind side than passenger, is the trickiest for me. I cannot see the yellow inner side boundary as well, nor the passenger side outer markings as well, so I have to have the perfect set up on it to do well. Wednesday is the day for my first attempts, so I will be really practicing my pre-trips tonight and tomorrow night. I will be testing in "Old Blue", so I hope she gets me through the tests.

Posted:  2 days, 22 hours ago

CFI company sponsored training through Truck Dynasty Driving Academy

I remember during our telephone conversation what you stated your plans were after your one year is up. I assume your plans haven't changed?

Big Scott, I too just finished reading your diary of CFI training. I am very impressed with your open minded and strong determination to complete your training and enter the trucking profession with the best guidance to become a great driver. I hope you continue to update your progress and your future in the industry. Good luck to you in your career.

Thank you. I am almost done with year one. I still love CFI and being out here. I can't complain about the money either.

Posted:  3 days, 15 hours ago

Working for CFI

Glad to hear you got your CDL ISSUES fixed. I take my CDL tests at Crowder College on Wednesday. By the way, when you took your first road drive portion of the test with the ecaminer, do you remember a left turn in Neosho that you had to take on the test, but wasn't done during any of your graded drives? It's at the intersection of S. Neosho blvd and W. Harmony street (I would drop a Google map photo here but am having difficulty doing so). If you know the left turn I am referring to, how did you manuever it?

I began my training with my finisher this week on Tuesday 5/15. Went out on the road beginning with a load on Wednesday putting in 2000 plus miles this week ending today. Waiting on a load today. May not be until Monday but time to relax so it's all good. I am enjoying my time driving, even with a couple of hiccups nothing major. I am happy to have my CDL and made this career move. I had some issues with my DMV but my state senators office helped me get that fixed. So if anyone else is looking to get into trucking, don't listen to the naysayers and go for it. CFI is a also a good choice. If you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. Peace out.

Posted:  5 days, 1 hour ago

Today’s the day!

Congratulations an best of luck to you!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  5 days, 15 hours ago

5/18/18, Day 15

This morning, we went to the backing range and practiced our offsets and parallel. I am better doing both but still inconsistant. I'll bang them out with a minimum of pullups, then have a real stinker. I find when my set up isn't great, then that is when I'll have a bad backing.

After lunch, we had our final road evaluations. This one included a drive through Neosho. Much more trafgic and there is a tight left turn with two lanes of oncoming from the left. If someone is in the left turn lane, we cannot make that turn. Luckily, when I turned after waiting for red to turn green, no vehicle was in the left turn lane and I made it fine. My shifting was much better on this evaluation. I was driving what I call 'Old Blue', which is an older Freightliner that shifts well. I also emphasized getting my foot off the clutch between shifts. On the return to Crowder College, I fueled up the truck. I received a score of 91, my best drive score yet. Driving 'Old Blue' definitely helped. I hope I can test using that truck.

Over the weekend, I'll practice my pre-trip and in-cab. Have a good weekend.

Posted:  6 days, 4 hours ago

Thanks, Rainy D.

In MO extra pulls are 1 point each, and the 3rd GOAL is an auto fail.

if your butt leaves the seat while looking out the windiow it is a GOAL!!!

so if you master a straight back and one maneuver, you basically have 12 pts to screw up the 3rd maneuver.

and be sure to close that door when you GOAl...MO is 10 points for not closing the door. ouch

Posted:  6 days, 11 hours ago

CFI at Crowder College

Jeremy, the switch will come on in your mind and you will be saying to yourself, "now I get it!" Some people just get it quicker than others on some things, but many like myself just need to keep practicing and we will get there.

"I'd love to plan a victory dinner sometime because we both got licensed next week!"

I'm not counting my chickens before they're hatched. Haha. One step and day at a time.

You're kicking ass, Don!

I practiced some alley docks today and not real comfortable with them yet. But I'm finally starting to understand the mechanics now that I've done it a few times.

I've been after that in-cab with a vengeance. I'm fairly good with all the outside parts of PTI, but keep mixing up the phrasing on certain parts, lol.

Think we start testing next week, as well. I'd love to plan a victory dinner sometime because we both got licensed next week! Not sure when that'd be possible, but hopefully we both nail it next week, and hopefully our paths cross somewhere out there.

Best of luck with tomorrow.

Godspeed, brother!

Posted:  6 days, 12 hours ago

CFI at Crowder College

"Also, on the CDL test an extra pull up is a fail."

I am confused then, because the instructors told us we can take as many pull ups as needed. We just have to have 12 or less point deductions total for the 3 backing moves.

Big Scott, do you prefer to give yourself more room on the right (blind) side? I prefer hugging my driver's side as I can see what is happening there, unlike on the right side. I'll then use pull ups to straighten up the trailer in the box as finish with a straightback. That right (blind) side of the box, I am trying to keep away from as much as possible.

Here's an example that may help. The first is my driver's side, the second is my blind side or right side.

0501839001526509903.jpg0225387001526509978.jpg

Being closer on the sight/driver's side protects the blind side. As you watch others practice, pay attention to where the blind side is going VS the sight side. Hope that helps. Also, on the CDL test an extra pull up is a fail.

Posted:  6 days, 15 hours ago

CFI at Crowder College

It was a school test which is deducted from our score on our final road test scheduled for tomorrow. I test for my CDL on Wednesday.

Great job. Was that a school test or pre trip towards your CDL?

Posted:  6 days, 15 hours ago

0501839001526509903.jpg0225387001526509978.jpg

Posted:  6 days, 15 hours ago

5/17/18, Day 14.

The day started out on the range. 3 of us practiced the offset and the other 3 practiced 90 alley dock. Then both trucks went to alley dock when another space was available. After reviewing some YouTube videos last night (yes, I know, listen to the instructors) and tweeking my approach, something "clicked on" in my head because I was much improved from yesterday. My set up and steering corrections were much better using a couple techniques noted from Youtube. They certainly worked for me. My confidence shot up and I have learned that using pull ups are indeed my best friend. After lunch, we were tested on our 90's and I scored a 94, losing 6 points on 3 pull ups. For me, it makes more sense to get dinged on a pull up (which will be 1 point each on the test next week, not to mention 2 free pull ups) than get dinged for 10 points for going out of the boundary, especially over on the right (blind) side.

We practiced our 90's for a while, then our instructor sprung a surprise on us. Our final road test tomorrow includes an in-cab test and the points deducted are added to the points deducted on our road test. He decided we were doing it today. Since I failed my in-cab last week due to that bone-headed mistake of not turning the key on fully for the air brake element, I have been practicing my in-cab every day. This time, I received a score of 100. I'll need all the points I can get since I'll grind some gears or forget to take my foot completely off the clutch tomorrow, no doubt.

Tonight, we will work on our trip-planning homework. Last night, we started doing it and it definitely requires some thinking and effort. We are all like..."huh?".