Profile For Don

Don's Info

Wooster, OH

Experienced Driver

2 years, 11 months ago

Don's Bio

Ex-longtime Nurse now driving a Daycab hauling corrugated boxes in Ohio, plus PA, NY and IN.

Posted:  1 day, 10 hours ago

My 1st time

That'd a pretty nice straight run across the Country. You will love the rolling hills of PA on 70/76E.

Posted:  2 days, 3 hours ago

Comfort while driving

After driving for a couple/few years, if you don't watch your diet or exercise you will soon have more than enough "cushioning."

Posted:  2 days, 9 hours ago

Mental Health Disqualifiers

Maybe I just have too much compassion for disabled people.

I am done.

I spent 32 years caring for the physically and mentally ill and dying. I sat with those dying when no family was there so they did not die alone. The first few years of my career I worked at the Ohio State Hospital for the mentally ill in Massillon, OH. I witnessed acts that to this day, I won't forget.

So I will say, I think I know a thing or two about showing compassion to the disabled.

Based on his information, the OP was involuntarily committed via the Baker act for 48 hours. The Baker act is usually used when someone is experiencing a (acute) mental crisis, and does not in itself ndicate a diagnosed chronic mental illness or disability.

I do not know Rick, but from his replies in this thread, it is quite clear he was trying to be helpful, and I do not believe he was purposely trying to offend the OP. Today, taking offense at every perceived or actual "slight" is all the rage.

Life's experiences are a major part in molding someones perception of others words.

Posted:  2 days, 22 hours ago

Mental Health Disqualifiers

"Snide comments"? What on Earth are you referring to?!! Rick goes out of his way to provide you with EXCELLENT advise and you throw shade at him for a perceived slight? Unfreakin'believable!

Hello Rick.

Thanks for your input but your two little digs at me are uncalled for in totality. Your assistance could be considered useful if it weren't for the snide comments. I hope you consider seeking professional help regarding kindness. Surely though, remarks like you make must give you a sense a superiority, so, good for maintaining your level of pride necessary to survive, unless of course you can justify your remarks any other way?

Posted:  4 days, 2 hours ago

Mental Health Disqualifiers

NOW THIS type of response is why prospective (and experienced) come to this website. Excellent!

While FMCSA regs do not prohibit someone who has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution from obtaining a CDL, or diving a CMV - you will NEVER GET A HAZMAT ENDORSEMENT. That is a disqualification for hazmat.

It may still become an issue - which could vary from company to company. An evaluation from the treating PSYCHIATRIST can go a long way towards bettering your odds. Being off meds too, also helps (so you wouldn't have to worry about possibly switching to a less-effective med that is not acceptable to a particular company (and this varies from company to company).

Are you still being treated (albeit, without meds)? Can you contact the doc who was previously treating and released you from treatment to write an evaluation and recommendation?

Is there any CRIMINAL HISTORY - ESPECIALLY associated with whatever got you committed? Was it a short-term (Baker Act here in FL) - where you get a 72 hour hold, if you are deemed a threat to yourself or others (which can happen WITHOUT COURT ORDER in many jurisdictions). Or long term (which typically must be ordered by the court)?

Having not been behind the wheel for so long - you are going to have to be RE-TRAINED. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND AGAINST going to a private school - as you may be "spinning your wheels" (sorry), by getting a CDL and not being able to find a hire.

The BEST BET IS TO APPLY EVERYWHERE that does training in-house - that way, if you make it past Orientation and the Medical Examiner, you are pretty much assured of a hire (assuming you get through training and pass your CDL tests).

You are going to have to answer YES to questions 14 & 27 on the FMCSA DOT MEDICAL FORM, and they REQUIRE AN EXPLANATION. This is where past and present documentation from a PSYCHIATRIST comes in handy (or actually is going to be required). GO WITH THIS IN HAND - so you don't get SENT HOME TO GET IT (forewarned is FOREARMED).

It is at the DISCRETION OF WHATEVER MEDICAL EXAMINER YOU SEE - whether or not they issue a medical card. Having psych evals IN HAND will resolve any questions ON THE SPOT (pretty much).

ADA regs, when it comes to employment, leave employers open to being sued for discrimination - which is why, outside of "prohibited meds" on FMCSA regs, they WILL NOT TELL YOU AHEAD OF TIME, which meds they don't allow. Good thing you aren't on any meds - this is a plus on your side. Likewise, a clean bill of mental health from a psychIATRIST (not psychologist), should (SHOULD) preclude being turned down - BUT - (big BUT), it might happen ANYWAYS (and they will give you a reason OTHER THAN your history to preclude being sued).

All things being equal - if your criminal & driving records are clear, your diagnosis was for something that isn't (typically ) recurring, and you didn't go on a killing spree and use mental incapacity as a defense (criminal records) - you have a decent shot at a hire.

1 - DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT 2 - You're going to have to come in as a newbie and be trained. 3 - Don't go to a private CDL Mill - go COMPANY so you have a hire and don't blow $$ on a useless piece of plastic.

Please LET US KNOW HOW YOU DO - WHERE YOU END UP GETTING HIRED. This will help us assist other members when the question comes up in the future. This forum is a VAST REPOSITORY of user contributed information, that we use to help and advise others. Getting advice and NOT SHARING THE RESULTS DOES NOT HELP OTHERS...

Rick

Posted:  4 days, 20 hours ago

Local fun

I have went to Receiver's I have not been to before, so I get my trusty Google Maps out and search the address listed on the BOL. I check on Google maps and think "Oh, this will be easy." Once I get there, they tell me "Oh, these go over to XYZ." Get to XYZ and I am like "sure, this will be easy, If I wasn't hauling a 53' trailer." I love when a receiver tells me "good luck" or "have fun", snickering as they walk away. The worst ones are where you are backing into an enclosed dock early am with no lighting in the docking area with inches to spare on each side of the trailer. Only the glow of the trailer lights to guide you. Thank the Lord this is a rarity. Oh, and BTW, "Thanks IP for not putting the correct addresses for unloading sites"

We often talk about why local driving isn't a wise choice for getting our careers underway. I thought I'd share an experience I had today in Rock Island Illinois delivering to a college there. The address for this delivery was 3435 9 1/2 Avenue Rock Island IL 61201. Google maps looked tight but the dang snow piles made it even tighter.

0591957001610386968.jpg

0151633001610387008.jpg

Original plan as I approached from the west (left) on 7th ave was to hook a right onto 34th and get in there. Problem is after I took the entire street to make that turn i noticed on top of the hill tree trimmers had the road blocked. I ended up continuing on 7th and eventually made my way back around and decided to turn down 30th this time and hook a left onto 10th follow it around the curve and get in. Sounds easy enough, right? WRONG!

I ended up needing to readjust a couple times for my tandems to clear a telephone pole on the curve, as the snow banks prevented me from riding against the curb in front of me.

0229531001610387330.jpg knowing it was going to be real tight i had gotten out prior to getting up on the snowbank to be sure it was soft enough I'd be able to plow through it and there weren't any hidden fire hydrants or other obstructions. i had maybe a foot of room before I'd hit the side of the telephone pole. After a couple stressful moments I'd gotten through that and parked on 34th in front of the school then walked in to confirm I was in the proper place before making my next move, as well as assessing what I was going to do. Yep, right place time for my next turn!

0821190001610387661.jpg once again I ended up taking out a snowbank after checking for obstructions and getting partially on the sidewalk as much as their snowbank in front of me would allow. I had only 3 pallets on me, so I wasn't concerned about tipping over. If I had more weight or the banks were higher I'm not so sure what I did would be a good idea.

Here's what the dock looked like

0881495001610387923.jpg warehouse loaded pallets sideways and they only had a hand jack so I had to downstack 140 cases onto a new pallet so the pallet jack could grab them. The receiver told me the only way out is the same way I came in, but drivers usually come in the way that was blocked today. I couldn't hook a right out because of a hydrant and poles on the corner. I had to swing wide and shimmy my way out to avoid taking out signs. Once again I barely cleared that telephone pole and then it was a nice rest of the day. I had a few more pictures of the way out but for some reason its not allowing me to upload more pics. I was too focused to stop and snap pics thats why most are Google maps. The best part was that line all drivers hear at tight locations. "We get trucks in here all the time." I bet you do, it wouldn't happen to be that 28' PUP that just pulled out would it!?!?!?!?

Honorable mention of a Dollar General store i drove past at 2217 Rockingham Rd, Davenport, IA 52802 there was a pepsi truck in the lot when I drove by.

Maybe middle of the night it'd be alright but while they're open? Oh heck no!

Anybody that has to deliver to a college, call ahead. They most likely have a central warehouse that is completely different than the address on the delivery. Though Rob did get screwed on this one :) Nice job!

Posted:  5 days, 7 hours ago

Got cought with weed

I smell something about that original post, and it isn't "weed."

Posted:  5 days, 7 hours ago

Just a thought

BTW, I personally have never seen a tractor with def tank fill up on the right side, but since seeing def pumps on the right when pulling in, there obviously are tractors that do.

Posted:  5 days, 7 hours ago

Is 600 miles a day good for a rookie?

600 miles is terrific! Driving "local", I have done it a couple of times during nice weather, but it is hard to do in a 14 hour shift with two live unloads. Everything from traffic to the unloads themselves had to be perfect, or to 16 hour exemption I go.

Posted:  5 days, 7 hours ago

Local fun

Thankfully, the majority of the customers we deliver to have easily accessible warehouses where getting to them isn't an issue. We do have a few though, where it almost takes an act of God to get to and/or getting into their dock. I am glad I don't drive a sleeper rig and having to get into some of these places. Driving a single axle day cab into a few of our customers is an adventure in itself. Google maps and especially Streetview have been a HUGE help to me to preview the areas around a customer and locate their Receiving areas.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

MANDATORY HAIR TESTING IS COMING - How Soon? Your Guess Is As Good As Mine...

"the racial disparities of minorities failing more frequently due to the difference in hair texture"

I am so sick and tired of this racial bias bullsh** used to excuse peoples behaviors and actions

WTH does hair texture based on race have to do with anything? Complete garbage. If anyone of any skin color is smoking weed, then they have no business being behind the wheel.

My only question to the mandatory hair testing is how will they word and what will they do to alleviate the racial disparities of minorities failing more frequently due to the difference in hair texture. I had read previously somewhere (maybe on here) that the tests were racist? toward POC because they have a more coarse hair and tested positive more often than non-POC because drug particles clung to their hair when they were around someone using but not using themselves. In todays society there is no way they will enact an all hair testing system without addressing the racial disparities issue somehow.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

If You Have Concerns About Starting Your Trucking Career Now... Take A Look At This

Oops! My post meant to state "I doubt there will never not be a driver shortage anytime soon.

As many foreigner's (I see at receivers) who can barely speak/comprehend English, I doubt there will be a "driver shortage" anytime soon. There is a reason these immigrants are able to get jobs.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Practice test vs online tuts: which is right?

Anne, we have/had a couple manuals at the Wooster yard, but all others are Auto's. 1207 was not in our yard long. I believe it was a spare. I have not used a Manual since training with the Ashland mechanic who drove an old manual truck at the time. Haven't driven a dual for a while either. Just the singles. I drive 1271 and leave nothing in the truck. All my stuff is carried in a large duffle and comes with me at the end of the day. Happy New Year!

Most of the large carriers hiring rookies will have their complete fleet consisting of auto shift transmissions. They are great. I've been driving auto shifts for more than six years. I've mostly driven with the Volvo I-shift transmission. It's very stout and works great on steep mountain descents.

Tom just got home today, back in an OLDER Mack, that he picked up from Little Woo .... (Don H.'s homespot) ... and .. it's a manual. Somebody NEW in Wooster got hired, and the guy can't drive a manual....the company WILL FIND AMT's for the new guys, trust me. They are phasing out ALL ten speeds at FAB, and a manual restriction is NOT a deal breaker for an applicant. Sadly, some of the guys that 'can' drive'em, have to.

He went down from truck # 1213 to 1207 from YOUR yard, Don. And there's stuff in it... OMG.. hope it's not yours! He doesn't touch... all his stuff fits in a duffle~!

His clutch leg is crying for 2029 back.... and he's going to request that .. for his seniority, as he should!

Question my poor driver asked: "Can I get the manual 'endorsement' OFF my CDL?" Yeah, truth...!

Carry on, y'all.

~ Anne ~

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Practice test vs online tuts: which is right?

Yup. I do the same order When coupling,I go front to back. Uncoupling back to front

The way I always do these are:

Coupling: Pin, Air lines, Landing gear

Uncoupling is the reverse order.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

MVR Record: License Suspended Twice for Underage Drinking While Not Operating a Vehicle

Mitch A, with your driving citation history, I believe you are taking a chance with going to a private school to get your CDL. As others stated, the private school will (probably) accept you for training, but will trucking companies hire you afterwards? Why spend thousands of dollars of your money just for companies to tell you "sorry" afterwards? Companies that offer sponsored training is the way to go. If they accept you to their training program and you graduate and obtain your cdl, you will have a job waiting. Then you drive for a set amount of time for them and your tuition costs are reimbursed. Some compaies also give you the option of just paying your tuition if you like with no further work commitment. CFI in Missouri was the best decision I could have made. Training at their Crowder College campus in Neosho was really good, not to mention room and three very good cafeteria meals were included in the tuition, which was thousands of dollars cheaper than private schools here in Ohio.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Happy New Year

I have no major issues with FAB. They keep me rolling. Paychecks are accurate. Equipment is fine and they make repairs when needed. Love our LOCAL mechanic. Happy New Year.

Happy New Year Everyone,

I want to start this post off by telling you right off the bat that you really do have to be careful when your looking small mom, and pop companies. As I found out today after I tried to give my 2 week notice to my boss (lets call her Linda). Me, Linda, and her son were all in the office talking about my paychecks. The same topic we were talking about Monday night while I was driving when I driving trying to tell her all the bills I had to pay on. I tried to her that I had not noticed that I made more money after we redid the W-4 form. Going into Christmas I was $500 in the red. I felt depressed because I couldn’t get my mom or stepdad any Christmas gifts. Why $675 a week just isn’t enough when I really have to be making $1000+ a week. As meeting progressed her son left and it was me, and Linda. She starts to bring up about one of the drivers who had been on a medical absence because of surgery or whatever, his doctor cleared him to come back. At that moment I tried to give her my 2 week notice, and then she said “you don’t need a 2 week notice” just go ahead and clean your truck out. I tried to wish her well, I tried to tell her on a personal level I liked her, but I couldn’t stay doing this. She just kept blowing me off. Tried to wish her all the best, and none of the worst. I did get that much, but NO Happy New Year! No text Message Saying Merry Christmas. No warning about the impending snowstorm that I would be driving into. NO Layover pay, NO Detention pay, I would suspect that I was getting hosed on some miles to. NO bonuses for being out on Sunday or Holidays.

These people came off as being anti-Christian maybe? For a company like this one I do pray that god will find them and hit them over the head, question is would they say outch? They claim to be republicans.

The tanker drivers I have spoken to all have said that I should be doing a lot better after 2 years. I’m now at 28 months and counting.

So please let this story be a learning lesson for everyone. BE VERY VERY Careful about some. Mom and pop shops can be really really good or they can be really really bad.

Take care; All the best & Happy New Year2021! May you have a prosperous new Year!

MNBenny

Benny .... when Tom (husband person) left driving for Ted (asphalt person) we had a way to go.. to get paid. Tanks were fun, asphalt was great for 4 years .. each year(til winter) and .. then.. it all wasn't. Sounds like 'our' sob story, tbh. Ted's wife got ALL the rigs in the divorce .. and we could buy'em ALL .. or nary a one. Yep. Comfort went to conundrum. (ps: had to pull flats in the winter, which we knew NADA about... boy, I'll post that someday when I'm ready to catch the heat....)

Since finding a 'small'ISH' 400 power units place.. life is good. Any way you could step up to something like this, without quitting the game? O/S is entirely correct.. and our former Bossman .. ie: O/O GUY was a tank yank, as well. (Race, Creed, Gender, Political affiliation, nonwithstanding.)

Just like Bugs Bunny to Yosemite Sam .. 'Be Vewy Vewy Careful!'

Wish you well, sir. Been there, with my husband.

~ Anne ~

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

What’s everyone’s 20?

Home and off for 11 days vacation.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Slip seating

2029? Wooster drivers are driving tractors in the 1260's and '70's. Lol

The key is to find an older truck no one wants to drive and make it known its yours. Park in same spot. Cone it off. It takes time but eventually you'll own a truck that isn't assigned to you but everyone knows its yours. This is what I did and I have been driving the same truck for 9 months without sharing it ever at OD.

Exactly what my hubby did ... stepped back from #2029 (Mack Pinnacle AMT) to #1213 (Int'l 10sp) ... NOBODY wants the ole' manual, haha!

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Slip seating

Oh, I feel your pain relating to either slipseating or sharing a truck. Other drivers who use the tractor I usually have will bring it back to the yard with 1/2 a tank, not taking out their garbage, not getting lights or wipers fixed. Not replacing spare oil and other fluids stored in the cab, and so one. I leave nothing of mine in the cab, or it is a guarantee anything I do will be gone.