Profile For Don

12 months ago

Don's Bio

Baby Trucker

If you would like to contact me, my mail to use is dongoho624@outlook.com

Posted:  8 hours, 37 minutes ago

Your Favorite Truck Stop

Home, is my favorite stop.

Posted:  4 days, 3 hours ago

Was let go today.

Greed will get 'cha every time

This whole scenario reminding me of something that happened when I first got to Prime. A woman driver fell whole getting out of the truck at a shipper. Prime paid the bills immediately, paid her for time off, and even gave her an in-house classroom teaching job. Then someone prompted her with the "get a lawyer" line. She did, and it turned out the customer had a video of her going forward out of the truck rather than backwards with the 3 points of contact. Automatic termination. Failure to follow company policy and insurance fraud are now on her DAC. Im sure she never got another driving job.

Many times the "I'm suing" can backfire. Im really glad Marc is being cool. Good luck!

Posted:  5 days, 8 hours ago

What CDL training company does not use hair follicle testing?

A "couple months" lapse in use may suffice for either urinalysis or hair follicle tests. Hope you are really, truly serious about "leaving that life behind", because there are enough hazards out here to worry about. Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol on the roads, no one needs nor wants.

Posted:  5 days, 8 hours ago

Music Time...

Different online radio stations featuring 30's-40's era, '70's soft or mellow rock, ESPN Cleveland talk shows. Recorded music includes Buck Owens, Dwight Yoakam, and Merle Hagard. Also The Runaways, ABBA, Steve Miller Band and other 70's Rock/Top 40.

Posted:  6 days, 15 hours ago

We Had A Major Truck Accident

Wishing you a quick recovery to full health.

Posted:  1 week ago

DOT "tricks" should be aware of?

Typical loads hauled range from 8,000lbs and the heaviest load has been about 25,000lbs, driving a single drive axle. At FAB, we usually slide our tandems all the way forward to the one hole.

Posted:  1 week ago

DOT "tricks" should be aware of?

'Tricks' isn't the right word, because no one 'tricked' me. What I meant to ask if what things should I do (besides making sure my truck/trailer should pass inspection) and should not do that will ensure I continue to not get a citation during any future inspections.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

DOT "tricks" should be aware of?

About 10 days ago, I was pulled over by Ohio DOT for a safety inspection. I got a clean inspection (and a company bonus...whooo...hooo), but I am curious about things I should be doing to make future inspections go smoorhly. Also are there tricks DOT does to catch us in violations? I ask because years ago, I received a seatbelt violation after being stop by a Ohio State trooper for not having a license plate light. My truck at the time did not come with one. After I stoppped, I had to unbuckle my seatbelt to get into my glove box for my registration, and did not refasten it when the trooper came up to the window. When he told me why he stopped me, I pointed that out to him, that my pickup did not have a light installed. So he comes back with a seatbelt violation. I explained to him why I unbuckled it, but well, you know how that went. Anywhoo, back ro mt DOT inspection. Whenn the inspectors came up to the pasdenger side they knocked. I could not reach far enough over to open the door with my seatbelt fastened, but damned if I was going to unbuckle. Quite a site when I finally managed to open the door. I did not want a seatbelt violation. I explained to the inspectors why I did not open the door right away. Call me paranoid, but you never know.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Top 10 things you absolutely have to have in your truck

#10 really should have been #1, along with some Buck Owens.

10) A Merle Haggard C.D. - no self-respecting truck driver hits the road without taking the Mighty Merle along for the ride!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Getting out of trouble

Believe me when I say that I have found myself in a few 'pickles' during my first eight months driving. My worst was my first weeks with CFI and going into a long residential driveway (consignee on phone told me take the first right from the road I was on. Yeah, uhh...no) at night and having to blind back out onto a county road. I have gotten out of these situations usually by taking the time to analyze the situation and my surroundings. Some have been resolved with patience and some by plain luck. Regarding backing, I always take backing as a challenge to test and improve my skills. There have been some tight situations, especially places in Cleveland or Buffalo. I get a satisfaction after I am docked, that I did so cleanly and without smacking anything. Time out here has improved my backing skills to where I rarely have any anxiety.

During my rookie tour, I've made several mistakes. Okay, more than "several", no surprise to the experienced drivers. Turning into the wrong entrance. Wrong way at truck stops. Going into the shipping office when I needed the receiving office. As a result, I've gotten quite a bit of "bonus" backing experience. (Well, might as well look at the positive aspect). For those who are in school or just beginning, it took me 3 weeks on my own to become fairly good at backing. I say fairly good because I still need to get much better. After 4 weeks, I no longer fear backing, even in tight situations. Twice now I've messed up and got on rural roads not designed for trucks and I've had to turn around. Now it's hard to reverse directions on a two lane rural road. You can't turn into a normal farm driveway or a field road. It may be miles before you can find a good spot. Here is what I've done. Go to the first crossroad. Turn left onto the crossroad and get straightened out. Stop. Most of these rural roads are lightly traveled so make sure there is no one coming from either direction. Back straight up across the road until you are behind the intersection. Then it's another left turn and you can go back and get on your route. What are other techniques to get out of self imposed trouble?

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Was it something I said?

Hey, my parents had a 1970's Ford LTD station wagon with that fake wood paneling. I had some great times cruising in that behemoth.

Maybe in 1980 it was; then again, people thought fake wood pannelling on station wagons looked cool too.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Pallet fell over

We use the door straps with FAB, hauling IP.

A driver can get seriously injured if a pile of stuff falls against the right door when you open it. I learned of a safety technique from shipper International Paper. They require a safety strap attached between the doors when opening them. Thinking that a great idea, Iooked at a truck stop and sure enough they sell them there. I now have one in my side box....if there is any doubt, I use it if I have a live unload. An extra 15 seconds might save your @$$

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Started new job

"Donnie"?! Haha. I am paid mileage, Packrat

Are you being paid mileage or hourly, Donnie?

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Started new job

I've thought of that or maybe some other treat, but I would probably eat them on the way there. I may have to think of something, if I keep getting these load assignments, which are first back to IP, first in line to take it (the load). Part of the issues lately are due to the load being assigned by FAB already late for a scheduled appointment. I get to our dedicated customer (International Paper) who state "if you have any problems, call us. That means, "you're on your own." So I race on over to Campbell's praying for an open dock. Campbell's gets upset that "I am late". So, it is usually "go to the back of the line" if there are others waiting. This only occurs at Campbell's Gate 2, which are live unloads. If I get a load to Gate 1, those are drop and hooks.

If you go there a lot you might try getting to know some of the people working there and start bringing donuts or something. Seriously. $10 worth of donuts might mean another $200 in your paycheck.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Started new job

Better to amuse myself than tell them

Are they really slow getting you loaded/unloaded or something?

Haha! I think that's got to be the problem. I mean Don found the time to make new signs for his truck! rofl-1.gifrofl-2.gif

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Started new job

Yes Brett they are extreeeemely slow uoading, when they decide to doing so. Our dention pay is low, so it is the double whammy. I think my dispatcher hates me, haha Just kidding on the latter....I think?

Why do you hate it? Are they really slow getting you loaded/unloaded or something?

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Started new job

Since FAB runs me out to Campbell's Soup on a daily basis, I have decided to change companies. I hate that place (Campbell's), haha. No, seriously. I hate this place.

0374163001549649917.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Drivers ignoring NY I-90 (and other) bans.

Driving on Hwy 5 from the town of North East to Dunkirk, I glanced over to take peeks at Lake Erie. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to see more in the Summer. Where does West Side deliver in Dunkirk? FAB delivers boxes to the Cott Beverages (Welch's/Refresco) warehouse on Stegelski .

Ooh I love driving to Dunkirk, along the bay. It's beautiful there. Man it's been almost a year and a half since I've been up that way. Maybe I should go back full OTR.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Drivers ignoring NY I-90 (and other) bans.

I assume you are referring to 5 being closed East of Dunkirk, because 5 in PA to Dunkirk was definitely open. Even that road was slick in spots. Saw a semi with it's nose buried and right side leaning over a little in what was probably a "ditch" hidden by snow.

Last week, New York had a ban of CMV's on I-90 and other highways, routes. Being the lucky guy I am, I was sent to Dunkirk, NY just as the bad weather was hitting NY. Yay me. I-90 is my regular route to Erie, PA, Dunkirk (and Buffalo), so I had to find another route that did not have a ban. Luckily 89 in PA and 5E in New York were the roads I took to get me to Dunkirk. On my way through PA, I saw a few semi's on the side of the road, one even on it's side. Numerous cars also.

Per the news, there was a 21 vehicle accident somewhere in New York (Batavia?) that involved numerous trucks , which were banned from I-90. Why would drivers ignore the ban and drive that route? Either they were not aware of the ban (although PA had alerts on I-90 stating this ban), cannot read English, or just said "the heck with it."

Your thoughts?

Yes, it was Batavia, and another on 190 in Buffalo. I was riding that out in Erie, PA. Luckily, route 5 was closed past Dunkirk, or you might have been in violation. :)

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Drivers ignoring NY I-90 (and other) bans.

Your thoughts?