Profile For Don

Don On The Web

1 year ago

Don's Bio

Baby Trucker

If you would like to contact me, my mail to use is dongoho624@outlook.com

Posted:  3 days, 14 hours ago

Watched the evening news about automated trucks

I watched the NBC evening news with the segment on self-automated, driverless semi-tractors. I get a bad feeling when I see a company pushing how "truly revolutionary this will be". I only see all that can go wrong. Technology is "jumping the shark".

Posted:  5 days, 19 hours ago

Wasted Day

My company does not give us routes or route suggestions, so we drivers take the route we choose. I almost always take the fastest route. Sometimes it may add 10-15 miles, but will knock off 30 minutes of actual drive time, and time is money. The company pays a.specific .cpm for that delivery, so going the longer but faster route may slightly decrease the actual .cpm, but I get back to the home base and pick up my next load faster also. Evens out eventually. They only care about us getting the load to our consignee on time and safely.

Not saying it's a bad company, but this has been my only company, and I suppose I'm a little spoiled. I do what I want. For example, my current load, I didn't like the route suggestion, so I'm having trainee go a different route. As long as we are where we are supposed to be when we're supposed to be there, they leave us alone. No handholding or babysitting.. just get the job done on time or early. Haven't talked to my dispatcher in over 2 weeks, but I did message him a joke earlier today and said hi.

Posted:  1 week ago

CFI's schooling process

Oops, since you stated you are supposed "to arrive the 24th", everything should be set. Are you traveling by car, flying or by bus? If by bus as I did (ugh, the memories on the grey dog), Cortney will call about 1 week before your start date to confirm you are still coming and give you the bus ticket confirmation number you will need to get your tickets at the bus stop/station you will be leaving you from. If you are flying or by car, hmmm...then I have no clue. Again, don't worry. She should call you next week, but feel free to continue trying to call her before then.

Have you read any of the CFI training diaries from members here who attended either Truck Dynasty or Crowder College? Both Big Scott's and mine you can currently find on page 6 in the CDL training diaries forum.

Posted:  1 week ago

CFI's schooling process

I attended CFI's sponsored school at Crowder College. Cortney was my recruiter. Did she send you information about your class starting date, itinerary, etc.? I received an email with attachments showing a copy of the contract with CFI for their sponsored school along with information about what to expect, CFI in general, benefits, etc.. Then I called her to confirm my start date and review the information sent in the email attachments. Once everything was confirmed, Cortney sent information about my travel itinery and bus transportation. You do need to be persistent and keep calling her or leave messages on her voice mail. CFI has quite a number of applicants to their schools, so she is swamped, I am sure. I had to call a couple of times and email her also, but she will return your calls or emails. I did not attend Truck Dynasty, but Big Scott, another member here, did. The instruction at Crowder College was excellent and I assume Truck Dynasty is also. Embrace your time there. For me it was a terrific experience. Good luck.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Followed GPS onto Frozen Lake

Great advice regarding the use of electronic resources and the telephone. Most consignee are very helpful with providing special information on getting to their site.

I always used various sources for directions and made sure at least several of them matched up. I would use my GPS, I would look at the Qualcomm directions, and I would use the satellite view on Google Maps. If it seemed straightforward and pretty obvious I'd go with those as long as two of the three matched up with each other.

If I had any doubt at all I would call the customer and get directions. The thing about calling the customer is that they know the little intricacies of getting into the place that won't show up anywhere else. You can pick up some very important little details from actually calling the customer.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Rollovers

In the last week, I noted 4 tractor-trailer rollovers on exit ramps or what I call "tight bends" on roads. They were not weather-related because the roads and surrounding areas were clear and dry. Not knowing any other factors and traveling the same locations often, I have to assume excess speed were the causes for the rollovers. A definite reminder for myself to watch my speed on ramps and tightening turns.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Had minor fender bender today.

I meant Google Satellite View.

Get an overhead satellite view on Google maps to see where you are,where you need to be and how to get there. Is there a safe place to turn around up ahead? Maybe a big parking lot

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Had minor fender bender today.

Google Maps overhead has got me out of a few pickles these past 9 months.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Your Favorite Truck Stop

Home, is my favorite stop.

Posted:  1 month ago

Was let go today.

Greed will get 'cha every time

This whole scenario reminding me of something that happened when I first got to Prime. A woman driver fell whole getting out of the truck at a shipper. Prime paid the bills immediately, paid her for time off, and even gave her an in-house classroom teaching job. Then someone prompted her with the "get a lawyer" line. She did, and it turned out the customer had a video of her going forward out of the truck rather than backwards with the 3 points of contact. Automatic termination. Failure to follow company policy and insurance fraud are now on her DAC. Im sure she never got another driving job.

Many times the "I'm suing" can backfire. Im really glad Marc is being cool. Good luck!

Posted:  1 month ago

What CDL training company does not use hair follicle testing?

A "couple months" lapse in use may suffice for either urinalysis or hair follicle tests. Hope you are really, truly serious about "leaving that life behind", because there are enough hazards out here to worry about. Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol on the roads, no one needs nor wants.

Posted:  1 month ago

Music Time...

Different online radio stations featuring 30's-40's era, '70's soft or mellow rock, ESPN Cleveland talk shows. Recorded music includes Buck Owens, Dwight Yoakam, and Merle Hagard. Also The Runaways, ABBA, Steve Miller Band and other 70's Rock/Top 40.

Posted:  1 month ago

We Had A Major Truck Accident

Wishing you a quick recovery to full health.

Posted:  1 month ago

DOT "tricks" should be aware of?

Typical loads hauled range from 8,000lbs and the heaviest load has been about 25,000lbs, driving a single drive axle. At FAB, we usually slide our tandems all the way forward to the one hole.

Posted:  1 month ago

DOT "tricks" should be aware of?

'Tricks' isn't the right word, because no one 'tricked' me. What I meant to ask if what things should I do (besides making sure my truck/trailer should pass inspection) and should not do that will ensure I continue to not get a citation during any future inspections.

Posted:  1 month ago

DOT "tricks" should be aware of?

About 10 days ago, I was pulled over by Ohio DOT for a safety inspection. I got a clean inspection (and a company bonus...whooo...hooo), but I am curious about things I should be doing to make future inspections go smoorhly. Also are there tricks DOT does to catch us in violations? I ask because years ago, I received a seatbelt violation after being stop by a Ohio State trooper for not having a license plate light. My truck at the time did not come with one. After I stoppped, I had to unbuckle my seatbelt to get into my glove box for my registration, and did not refasten it when the trooper came up to the window. When he told me why he stopped me, I pointed that out to him, that my pickup did not have a light installed. So he comes back with a seatbelt violation. I explained to him why I unbuckled it, but well, you know how that went. Anywhoo, back ro mt DOT inspection. Whenn the inspectors came up to the pasdenger side they knocked. I could not reach far enough over to open the door with my seatbelt fastened, but damned if I was going to unbuckle. Quite a site when I finally managed to open the door. I did not want a seatbelt violation. I explained to the inspectors why I did not open the door right away. Call me paranoid, but you never know.

Posted:  1 month ago

Top 10 things you absolutely have to have in your truck

#10 really should have been #1, along with some Buck Owens.

10) A Merle Haggard C.D. - no self-respecting truck driver hits the road without taking the Mighty Merle along for the ride!

Posted:  1 month ago

Getting out of trouble

Believe me when I say that I have found myself in a few 'pickles' during my first eight months driving. My worst was my first weeks with CFI and going into a long residential driveway (consignee on phone told me take the first right from the road I was on. Yeah, uhh...no) at night and having to blind back out onto a county road. I have gotten out of these situations usually by taking the time to analyze the situation and my surroundings. Some have been resolved with patience and some by plain luck. Regarding backing, I always take backing as a challenge to test and improve my skills. There have been some tight situations, especially places in Cleveland or Buffalo. I get a satisfaction after I am docked, that I did so cleanly and without smacking anything. Time out here has improved my backing skills to where I rarely have any anxiety.

During my rookie tour, I've made several mistakes. Okay, more than "several", no surprise to the experienced drivers. Turning into the wrong entrance. Wrong way at truck stops. Going into the shipping office when I needed the receiving office. As a result, I've gotten quite a bit of "bonus" backing experience. (Well, might as well look at the positive aspect). For those who are in school or just beginning, it took me 3 weeks on my own to become fairly good at backing. I say fairly good because I still need to get much better. After 4 weeks, I no longer fear backing, even in tight situations. Twice now I've messed up and got on rural roads not designed for trucks and I've had to turn around. Now it's hard to reverse directions on a two lane rural road. You can't turn into a normal farm driveway or a field road. It may be miles before you can find a good spot. Here is what I've done. Go to the first crossroad. Turn left onto the crossroad and get straightened out. Stop. Most of these rural roads are lightly traveled so make sure there is no one coming from either direction. Back straight up across the road until you are behind the intersection. Then it's another left turn and you can go back and get on your route. What are other techniques to get out of self imposed trouble?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Was it something I said?

Hey, my parents had a 1970's Ford LTD station wagon with that fake wood paneling. I had some great times cruising in that behemoth.

Maybe in 1980 it was; then again, people thought fake wood pannelling on station wagons looked cool too.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Pallet fell over

We use the door straps with FAB, hauling IP.

A driver can get seriously injured if a pile of stuff falls against the right door when you open it. I learned of a safety technique from shipper International Paper. They require a safety strap attached between the doors when opening them. Thinking that a great idea, Iooked at a truck stop and sure enough they sell them there. I now have one in my side box....if there is any doubt, I use it if I have a live unload. An extra 15 seconds might save your @$$