Comments By Don

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0786699001601988838-78090.jpg avatar
  • Don
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Well my day is off to a rough start

The only time I heard a driver get banned from a Receiver/Consignee is because theywere being belligerent to the Consignee's employees, and this was at our biggest customer. Doh! He was promptly terminated. Being banned for "taking too long to dock"? Wow!

I’ve certainly never heard of somebody getting the boot from a shipper/receiver because they took awhile to back. That’s just the nature of the beast. I have however heard of drivers getting the boot for being confrontational or not polite. But maybe that’s just me.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

End of CFI Training

Congratulations. Glad your trainer is doing a great job. My trainer at CFI was really great! We got along very well and he taught me a lot in those few short weeks. The idea of backing may seem daunting to you now, but I believe all new drivers feel that way. Your backing will improve weekly. My only suggestion is take every backing opportunity as a personal challenge. When backing, give it your 100% attention and take your time! I cannot stress this enough. Getting in a hurry will only cause more anxiety and could lead to a big problem that could have been avoided with patience. Also, If you have ANY doubts about where your trailer is in relation to an object or another tractor/trailer, do not become complacent and tell yourself ahhh, it will be fine"," because the next thing you may hear is a sickening "crunch." G.O.A.L...G.O.A.L....G.O.A.L!

I still love challenging myself when backing into a dock or space I have not been to before. Some places, you may think to yourself, "there is no way I can back into this spot." If you take a moment to get out of the truck, look around your surroundings for obstacles or something you have to contend with, you will feel more at ease. And once you get that tail "into the hole," you will give yourself a big "YES!" and high-five!

I’m on my last five days out with my trainer, and if all goes well, I will be upgrading July 6th. The journey has been challenging and exciting at the same time. I’m nervous and looking forward to driving my own truck. My only apprehension is my backing. I still struggle with backing and is turning me into a nervous wreck. My trainer at CFI has been great and patient with me, and he says that with more experience my backing will improve.

I want to thank the members of this website for their wealth of knowledge, which made my decision to join CFI and easy one. Any tips for backing? Again, thank you all!

Posted:  4 months ago

Do shifted loads show up on DAC?

Ohhh, I don't know know if you will receive the blame or not. If your headboard was pushed out 10 inches, I would think it would require a good amount of force to do so. I feel your pain about the loading of your trailer. I could go into a rant about the poor job our Shipper does on a daily basis with loading our company's trailers.

Posted:  4 months ago

Refusing delivery

Oops. "Bird-One." lol. Sorry about that.

Haha Bird-dog I think I like that one better thanks Donnie! On a serious note to say couldn’t we pretty much give that reply to just about ever OP that comes through here? We definitely could. But we don’t because people come here looking for advice from experienced drivers. Perfect example would be how many drivers have come through asking about how long to give for a two weeks notice? Quite a few. Never have I seen “ask your company” seen a wide array of responses.

I probably asked a lot of dumb questions when I first came through here almost 6 years ago and but was always grateful to get a timely and constructive response!

Hey Bird dog. It has nothing to do with "being a top-tier driver out of the gate." We all started from scratch. My point was, the OP should be asking his company what he should do. You know, the people he works for who would know what he is to do and will direct him? Every company is different. Personally, as good as the Truckingtruth is, if I have a situation with a load, etc., I will ask my company for instructions.

I see nothing wrong with what the op asked. Strangers on this website just may know how a company may typically respond to this situation. We’re here to help. We can’t all be top tier drivers out of the gate!

smile.gif

It amazes me how people cannot use common sense and think for themselves. Like strangers on the internet know how a company manager will respond. OP, call your manager and ask THEM!

Did you ask your dispatch? Company management would have a better answer for you than strangers from a website.

Posted:  4 months ago

Refusing delivery

smile.gif

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

So am I hired?

If you "want and need this job seriously badly," then you are going to need to change your attitude. In your first two posts, you have 1. Stated "you feel like you are in prison already" and "the company is dumb," and 2. "You cannot deal with a (big meany) trainer" who BTW is trying to train you in three weeks how to be a safe driver so you are able to go solo. I bet most of us would love to hear your trainer's side of this story. No doubt, we would get a true indication of what is occurring. I seriously doubt the company told you that you "were hired and then (you) weren't." I bet the truth is you either misunderstood the recruiter, or assumed you were hired when you were accepted into their program, or were not paying attention to what was explained during the start of training. Naahhh, that could not possibly be what happened. No company hires a student until after they complete the CDL program, pass their tests and obtain their CDL and then completes road training. If you don't grow up quick and change your attitude, that job you "want and need seriously bad" may get pulled out from under you. You need to realize that you are being tested by the Company every day. Contrary to your arrogant opinion, they are not "dumb." They deal with arrogant, no-it-all students everyday. If a student driver is causing issues, that company will cut it's losses and the student will still be responsible for training costs if they were removed from the program due to fault of their own. Read your contract again. STOP listening to other students or drivers BS (and that's what your "buddy's" story is), and take responsibility for your success. YOU are the only one responsible for whether you succeed or fail.

Well it wouldn't suck if the trainer wasn't just a straight up *******. And I don't think it's too much to ask to know if I'm hired yet. They said I was then I got told I wasn't till I finish training.

I gotta deal with this guy for three weeks. I in no way mind that hes a hard ass and I actually like that but it's no excuse to be a total and absolutely ****ty to deal with individual. Already feels like I'm in prison. I LOVE the driving btw and I want and need this job seriously badly.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

So am I hired?

You are not even through your training with C.R. England, but "they are dumb and you are ready to leave"? Not a good sign if you are already complaining and ready to bail after a few weeks. You are not officially hired until you complete your road training, which is part of the training program. No matter what you say "your Buddy did," if you quit, you will be liable for the cost of your training. How long was your CDL school and road training; a few weeks?

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Just a little bumed out

Depending on your misdemeanor, I am surprised you didn't get it expunged?

The applications ask about issues 3 to 5 to 7 to sometimes 10 years ago. There is nothing asking about "Any" or "all" periods of time. So, no I didn't disclose since Misdemeanors over 7 years old legally do not have to be. Guess this carrier was being extra through and picky, I understand their position, it's just a little deflating.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Dad won’t let me start a career in trucking

Another spot-on post, Old School.

So, how about you telling us who was about to hire you when your Daddy said no.

I think you put more on your dad than is necessary. You aren't really available for a job because you haven't done the things necessary to land a job. Poor old dad gets all the blame, but you are a grown man who can't get hired. I'm sorry you feel you have to blame it all on daddy. You have an old stale license and nobody will hire you. That's the problem. Dad may not like the idea, but he's not the reason you can't get a job.

Hello, i need an advice

Cut loose from your parents free rent and meals. Take some responsibility for your own career. You've given your parents reign over your life by living on their goodwill and charity. Grow up man. Grow a pair and choose your own destiny. We can't help you as long as you are still permanently attached to the teets that nurtured you through your childhood. As it is right now they expect you to be around there helping them with their own dreams. You've got dreams of your own, but no ability to make them happen under your own power. You are helpless. You've got to liberate yourself.

I'm pretty much convinced your dad is right. This is going to be too hard for you. You are way too dependent on others to have the independence of an OTR trucker. It is all a romanticized dream of yours. The reality of it will shake you. That's probably why you have a license but never had a job. Maybe you can enjoy just having the dream, but we aren't really able to help you figure out how to do that.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Dad won’t let me start a career in trucking

Ryan stated, " you think I rely on them?" Seeing that you live with your parents, then yes, you "rely on them." Thus, you ARE dependent on them.

Getting "advice" from parents is different than "my Daddy won't let me." I mean, really. Does Mommy wash your underwear for you, too?

Ryan stated, "ur opinion says i cant be dependent on this job." No, your own comments clearly show such.

Old School's reply to your original post is spot on. As a grown adult, if you have to get Daddy's permission to start in the truck driving industry, or anything else in life, then you lack responsibilty and emotional maturity required to be anywhere near a Semi-tractor. And don't even reply with a "you don't know anything about me" because I have a good first impression from your posts. Take your thumb out of your mouth and grow up. Stop blaming Daddy for your lack of motivation and self-reliance, move your ass out of Daddy and Mommy's house, and start acting like the adult you should be.

no offense but u think i rely on them?? lol sorry but we’re not like u guys that when u turn 18 u decide to become independent, we still get advice from our parents somehow because they’ve experience thats the thing, ur opinion says i cant be dependent on this job?? lol we’ll see about that sir..

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Falsifying Logs can land you in jail.

This right here. Do not let dispatchers/company coerce you into doing something illegal that will cost YOU if you do it. I can't count how many times I have been told, "this is a hot load and it has to get there!" Or, "owe, we will pay your overweight fine if you are stopped", etc.. Oh well, someone else with the hours will need to run it."

Thanks, Scott, for bringing this point out.

It's true, a lot of drivers might think that driver Out Of Service is all there is for common FMCSR violations. But there's more to it.

Also, often on TT we read "my dispatcher made me drive while over weight limit/out of hours/etc." Here what the author, a lawyer, says about that:

I recommend that drivers simply refuse to drive in violation of any commercial vehicle safety regulation. If they do refuse to violate an FMCSR, then they have legal protection against retaliation by the carrier, and they also avoid the possibility of criminal prosecution.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Refusing delivery

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Three top carriers sign up for 6,775 TuSimple self-driving trucks

The first fatal accident caused by a self-driving truck and it's large financial cost could very well sour a companie's views on them.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

What makes local truck driving so appealing to drivers VS Over the road?

I drive local.

Pro's: 1. Monday-Friday with weekends off. 2. Home daily, i.e. typical "9-5'er"-like feeling to job. 3. Trip planning is non-existent. I know my routes, how long it takes, where Smokey Bear usually sits, etc.. 4. Same customers and their "unloading habits/quirks."

Con's:

1. Driving to the same customers frequently can cause boredom to set in if you let it. 2. Glorified Pizza Delivery boy feeling.

Overall, I really like driving local.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Wait time...

I watch my paystubs like a hawk! In fact I made a milage pay Grid so I already know what I will/should get paid for the runs I made for the day.They have been very good with paying all milege, stops and other pay. It is rare I have a question or need to notify payroll of an omission.

😅😅😅

I have never been paid for the first 90 minutes, and neither have any Wooster drivers that I know. The ONLY time I was paid the entire time at a consignee was when they sent me a couple hours earlier and I waited 3 hours. Then, I had to remind JB twice.

The longest I have ever waited to get unloaded has been about 3 hours. Thankfully, that has only happened a couple of times. We don't get paid detention during the first 90 minutes. I really dislike that policy.

Yes, you do. For example, if you are at the consignee for 3 hours; you'll get paid detention for the FULL 3 (including that 1st 90 minutes.) Tom does, anyway!

~ Anne ~

Maybe a talk w/ Jim bum is due? Happens here, per the 'me' secretary! (I check all papers and checkstubs; how I found YOU were a D.O.M. nominee, remember?!? I read everything!)

Now, you've got me on 'double check and check again' mode; but I'm pretty SURE it is.. here. Maybe they're shorting you ?!?!?

~ idk ~

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Wait time...

I have never been late for a delivery, UNLESS the load was dispatched late, which does not happen often. Our company pay sheet specifically States detention for one stop loads is after 90 minutes. I want ti know what Anne's Hubby's secret is for getting all detention paid.

And I think detention gets thrown out if you're late.

0527203001618593073.jpg

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Wait time...

😅😅😅

~ Anne ~

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Local driving is so good!

It is rare that have a 5 stop load, but when did, the consignees were fast to unload. We are a "no touch freight" company.

You have no control over unload time; sometimes consignees are quick, other's may be as slow as molasses straight from the freezer [...] the only negative I see is dependent on how quickly the consignee unloads the trailer.

It all depends on how a local company operates. Apparently, my schedule is different - I leave the terminal fully loaded and have 5-10 deliveries, once I am done, my tablet receives a few pickups, all in the same area. Loads are usually 1-5 pallets, and I have a full control over time. Once I back into a door and come in, I can either let dock people do their job with a forklift or grab my pallet jack and take the load from the trailer myself. Either way literally takes minutes. And in rare cases when they tell to wait (even 15 minutes), I call my manager and he tells me to leave. The OT unfortunately starts only after 50, though...

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Wait time...

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Refresher and who does not hair test - midsize company

My radar always goes up when someone's first questions pertain to "who does hair follicle testing?"