Profile For Dan M.

Dan M.'s Info

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Preparing For School

2 months, 3 weeks ago

Dan M.'s Bio

Over 40 years in kitchens and sick of it. I spent 10 years during that time owning a small produce business. I partnered with a farmer that allowed me to drive the 26' box truck with air brakes w/o a CDL. I'm looking to make the move to trucking and I hope I have what it takes. I'm good with people and a great driver and have been someone who used to work 90-100 hours a week in the summers. Loved the advice from the pros and hope I can be accepted into the fold. 4 older kids and 3 ex wives later...

Dan M.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  16 hours, 21 minutes ago

Starting out regional and "paying your dues"

Whichever you decide, I suggest doing the High Road Training Program on here. It’s how I got my permit.

I did as well Steve and am amazed at how much it helped me pass the test.

Posted:  1 day, 16 hours ago

Started CDL School yesterday !!

Dan...where did u go? Smith n solomon?

We had US Express in today and Werner next...getting closer to sinking in with having recruiters come talk to us.

Posted:  1 day, 16 hours ago

Started CDL School yesterday !!

much cheaper anywhere outside the northeast.

Looking for a trailer to store my stuff instead of putting everything in storage. Might not look back if I get out of Jersey.

Posted:  1 day, 16 hours ago

Started CDL School yesterday !!

Buy groceries in Al or MS not NJ lol

much cheaper anywhere outside the northeast.

Dan...where did u go? Smith n solomon?

I know Jersey isn't really cheap for anything. No Rainy, am going to Bradway in Vineland. More of a smaller "old school" style of Company and school, and it's 30 minutes from my house. Will be getting in the truck by Friday...can't wait.

Posted:  3 days, 15 hours ago

Started CDL School yesterday !!

Dan M.

I am also a Dan M.

You must be good people then !! lol

Posted:  3 days, 16 hours ago

Started CDL School yesterday !!

I do plan on staying out OTR and living out of the truck...will see how that goes. Have gotten a clearer picture of things from all the great posts from all you guys. Appreciate the advice and info.

Gotta come up with something better than...Dan lol

Hi Dan. As a former OTR Driver with years of experience "LIVING OUT OF THE TRUCK" I can tell you a couple of things that may be of benefit to you. I used to stay out 4 to 8 weeks at a time in the truck.

Yes that's what I was figuring on.

1. Your life with revolve around your job (let's be honest, when you are living out of the truck then the truck runs your life while you are in it). But use it to your benefit (make the most of it).

2. Invest in your success. Buy a good Truck GPS Mapping Tool (I spent $400.00 three years ago on a Rand-McNally 730 with a 7-inch display which I still use today that has it's own quirky behavior in Routing, but is easy to learn and see).

Was wondering some companies say "turn-by-turn" directions...have seen the good trucking GPS and thought it would be a good investment.

3. Get your own coffee-maker to go in the truck (I purchased one in Pennsylvania at a TA to park for the night) and it ensures hot coffee or tea anytime.

My Kuerig is coming with me !

4. Buy a Road Pro oven (looks like a lunch box) and you can have a "hot meal" anytime while you are out.

5. Get an Igloo cooler for icing cold drinks, etc. (or invest in a fridge if you can see the monetary benefits).

Would get a fridge if not in the truck...not sure about what the APU's can handle as far as power.

6. Keep your mind on something positive (give up your regrets of the past).

Yes divorce 3 will be final at the end of the month...plan to look for some land in a few years.

7. Buy groceries and supplies when you are at home (I usually spent $120 - 150 every 4 weeks at a local home store for the month).

I can live very cheap and simple and was figuring just what you did.

Living out of the truck is exactly that. The truck determines when, where, and how you stop as well as when, where, and how you go. So just go with it and make money. Make it work for you not work you personally.

OTR is exactly what it is - you live out of the truck.

Wonder about where to park and address to use and things like that. Also can I keep a trailer at the terminal ?

Keep it real and in perspective at all times.

embarrassed.gif

Peace

Really appreciate the advice and making me feel welcome to all, and to you classA !!

Posted:  3 days, 20 hours ago

Started CDL School yesterday !!

I'll take him, if it comes to that. Pray it doesn't though, of course.good-luck.gif

I will keep that in mind PackRat. The only problem with him is he's meaner than all get out. Hates everyone but me. Would take some getting used to him.

Not even sure how many people do travel and work with their pets, and how do they generally do out on the road. Wondering if Brett ever took his GS on the road ?

Posted:  4 days, 17 hours ago

Started CDL School yesterday !!

Best wishes, Dan! Keep us posted on your progress. I know you will do well.

Best Regards, Colin K.

Thanks Colin, I sure will.

Posted:  4 days, 21 hours ago

Started CDL School yesterday !!

Best of luck, Dan. Make the most of the opportunity!

Thank you Jeremy...can't wait. Love the pic of the Shepherd driving the truck. My biggest anxiety right now is maybe having to give up mine before I start my first job.

0652995001526742725.jpg

Posted:  1 week ago

Started CDL School yesterday !!

Thanks Old School...don't know how they wouldn't break. Have been "pre-approved" by 4 companies already so the process is going well so far.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Started CDL School yesterday !!

After much research and going through almost all of the High Road course, I decided top pony up and go to a private CDL school in South Jersey. I had gotten my permit with all endorsements and MAN how boring these 2 days have been with people who haven't studied a lot ! I did refer a bunch of students to the site. Look forward to getting finished and becoming a professional. Btw what the heck is a "glass division" ? Got contacted by a company who has openings when I get my CDL if I'm interested.

Gotta come up with something better than...Dan lol

Posted:  1 month ago

Signed up for private school today

Signed up today after doing a lot of research and soul searching. I have the means to pay myself and decided to take it a little slower and more personal. I start in a few weeks. Really have enjoyed the advice and suggestions from this group. I will be taking the written test next week after going through most of the High Road program (fantastic). Got my DOT physical done and ready to go. Have to downsize with the house and figure out the car and things but I'm ready for the change. Thanks again Brett and to all you guys.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

No Home Base

Thanks Rainy. The car is a big consideration. If I commit to the lifestyle, is it worth keeping the car ? Can I be successful on the road for extended time ? Have to get my affairs in order first before I decide but I really am leaning towards doing it.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

No Home Base

My situation is so similar to Serenity. Looking to get started but want to live out of the truck. Really appreciate all the responses from such good people.

0334890001522860236.jpg

The pic is for the Jersey girl !!! I'm from and live in South Jersey.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

First year pay totals with Prime

Love your posts and responses Rainy...from Jersey also.