Profile For Dan M.

Dan M.'s Info

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Company Driver In Training

6 months, 3 weeks ago

Dan M.'s Bio

Over 40 years in kitchens and sick of it. I spent 10 years during that time owning a small produce business. I partnered with a farmer that allowed me to drive the 26' box truck with air brakes w/o a CDL. I'm looking to make the move to trucking and I hope I have what it takes. I'm good with people and a great driver and have been someone who used to work 90-100 hours a week in the summers. Loved the advice from the pros and hope I can be accepted into the fold. 4 older kids and 3 ex wives later...

Dan M.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

How does a truck driver protect themselves

You can fill a pillow case with batteries or filled soda cans then beat the crap out of someone. Am I the only one here from the Philly/NJ/NY area? LOL

Rainy you’re not, lol. First of all we have a “look” that says keep walkin. But really most of it is being aware of your surroundings and being cautious always.>

Sorry, messed up the quote again

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

How does a truck driver protect themselves

Geez, been in W Memphis at our lot for 2 days...is it really that bad here ?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Anyone carry their laptop?

Brought mine with me for the 4 weeks out with a trainer...didn't even take it out of the bag. Too darn busy to use it. Not a bad thing though, had a great time.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Jersey Dan finally out on the road !

Thanks !Nk, good luck in school. See you out here after.

Posted:  2 months ago

Jersey Dan finally out on the road !

I sure will Brett thank you. I keep looking for everyone at Love’s !! lol

Posted:  2 months ago

Jersey Dan finally out on the road !

Hey guys. Out with the trainer finishing up week one. Loving it so far. My trainer and I have gotten along pretty well. I’ve asked to do most of everything which was ok with him. Want to be great at ALL of it. Besides having to maneuver in very tight areas of Houston and all of the construction through Texas, Arkansas and Oklahoma...been great. And if anyone from Texas is asking about the 2 million bugs missing...tell them they’re in my grill and windshield. Lol

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Deer hunting

Damn...I was on 81 after taking the Cape May Ferry and Chesapeake Bridge through Virginia. Saw quite a few.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Music For The Road

Golden Earring..."I been drivin' all night my hands wet on the wheel" lol Love that

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Thinking of Buying a Boat

Lol beautiful...even if it is a bit obsessivedancing.gif

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Finally went otr

Congrats BucketHead, hopefully I will have that same positive attitude about my experiences too. I love the support from the seasoned vets here but its guys like you who I'm following also to get that perspective. Keep it up.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

New OTR driver with low mileage loads

The key to making money is to keep your doors closed. Talk with your fleet manager ask what you need to do to get more miles. Then do what he says.

Indeed, keeping the doors closed (implies you are driving) is definitely important, but only one of several “keys” to making money at this...

I totally agree with everything Old School and Susan have said thus far. The relationship with your driver manager, and/or the person you report directly to is vitally important to your success. It’s a “process” that you must constantly work on and build upon. Do not underestimate this dynamic.

Good luck.

Hey G-Town. I actually start orientation tomorrow and am wondering about that initial meeting with my new DM and how they will go over things like that. I sure want to start off on the right foot.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Don't forget your landing gear

Wow, I can't believe it rolled! Ugh, that's a huge bummer. It's so easy to have one moment of inattention turn into a mess out there. I think that's one of the toughest aspects of being a driver; it's hard to stay focused at all times, especially as the day gets long and you start getting tired.

Going to try and absorb as much as I can from my trainer so I'm not that guy.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Distractions Can Kill Your Career, or Worse - article by Rainy

That was a great read Rainy. Just arrived in Kentucky earlier today getting ready for orientation tomorrow. I am naturally one who heaps pressure upon myself so I will try and follow your advice and cut myself some slack.

Couldn't help but wonder on the way through Virginia and Tennessee if any of you guys were within sight...saw all of the companies represented here. Even mine !!

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Can You Spot The Impostor?

Work hard, be humble, give it everything you have, and appreciate those who are willing to help you out. Take pride in being the best you that you're capable of being and having the courage to get in the ring and fight the good fight. If the veterans tease you, laugh with them, because they're right - you do look silly. And hey, that's ok because you're doing all you can to get better and you will get better. It just all takes time. And that's ok too.

Wow, what a simple and respectful response. Man I love this site.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Just passed my road test...PTL here I come.

Congratulations!!!

Thank you G-Town. When I went to the school today to get my certificate and talk to the owner, felt very good when I was leaving and Steve Bradway (owner and lifetime trucker) was on the phone and told them to hold on as he "had to say goodbye to one of our Professional Drivers".

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Just passed my road test...PTL here I come.

Paschall Truck Lines.

It's kind of like TMC - PTL is what they go by. The great thing about working for either one of those companies is that you'll never forget how to spell their name! smile.gif

Congratulations Dan!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

That's true Old School...thank you.

Just want to work hard and be respected by my Company and my peers.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Just passed my road test...PTL here I come.

dancing-banana.gifundefineddancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifundefinedgood-luck.gif

Thank you Rainy and Big Scott...got my days worth of Potassium !

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Just passed my road test...PTL here I come.

Congrats. I guess will ask, what company is PTL? If there is an acronym I don't know I ask. I guess army life taught me something lol

It is Paschall Truck Lines out of Murray Kentucky. Lol I know Army...I thought some holy rollers at first with PTL (praise the Lord). Going to orientation on the 18th, then out from there. Looking forward.

And thank you guys, will be picking your brains soon.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Just passed my road test...PTL here I come.

Thanks Turtle.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Worst Day Ever

Oh yeah.. and as we were leaving with truck and trailer in tow, just on the other side of the overpass.. the DOT officer was watching to make sure I didn't try to pull that trailer. Glad I stuck to my guns and refused when tow driver tried to convince me that my pulling that trailer was the same as him towing it.

So sorry, glad you're ok though.