Comments By Villain

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0438179001526840534-78679.jpg avatar
  • Villain
  • Comments:

Got My CDL - Thanks to the Trucking Truth Community!

Congratulations dancing.gifdancing.gifdancing.gif

On the mechanical side

The auto-shift on my 2016 Freightliner Cascadia is great...as long as I'm not trying to merge on to the Interstate, climbing, descending, passing. The shift point to upshift is 1450rpm no matter what the position of the accelerator pedal. From a stop or the scales it skips 5th,7th,9th. Climbing it will bog down at 1050 - 1100rpm before stubbornly downshifting. I find myself driving in manual mode a whole lot of the time. Maybe I'm just a manual man at heart.

Errol!

That is so cool to meet a fellow TTer!

Please Update Your Avatar

I've uploaded my avatar twice, but it always goes back to the red truck.

What are top 10-20 rookie / student driving mistakes in first 6-12 months ?

"#11. Going for the difficult parking spots at truck stops instead of parking in an easy spot and walking an extra 15 feet. Most accidents occur at truck stops so its a good habit to be extra vigilant in them." - Daniel B.

Disclaimer: I have 3 weeks Solo experience so maybe I'm just doing it the hard way.

Yes it's nice to find a pull through spot. Sooner or later though you're going to have to back in. At first, I would go to a truck stop & find the back row. I practiced backing in to a spot with empty spots on both sides. Then I started backing in to spots with a truck on my near side. Now, I still try to park in the farthest row (it's healthy to take a longer walk after sitting all day), but when I pull in at peak times, if there's a spot open, it's mine. I might pull up & goal 10 times, but I'm getting in. Leave the ego behind.

You have to become proficient at backing. So while you want to be safe at all times, you have to seek out opportunities to hone your skills. For me, the truck stops have been a great place to get better at backing.

Too Windy to Drive?

"Like many things you tend to get a feel for the wind and when common sense kicks-in signaling to shut down. A sustained wind speed of 35-40 with significantly higher gusts is where I get concerned and reduce my speed accordingly and if need be, park".

That's a quote from G-Town in a post about high winds. Im on I40 at the weigh station just West of OKC. I parked because as I was driving the cross wind had the end of my trailer on the white boundary line even though the truck was centered in the lane. I am empty. There is a high wind advisory and the truck is rocking as I write this. So why am I questioning if I should be stopped? Because I have 5 weeks of experience and I don't yet have a feel for the wind. I don't want to be unsafe but at the same time I don't want to jump at any little thing that goes boo in the dark. Is running empty that much more easy to blow over?

What is the point of a DSE??

What they should do is some kind of VR thing with sensors. On an overtake & pass see whether you're locating the driver's face in his side mirror to see if his head is down looking at his phone or whatever & when you don't have the other truck take a little swerve at you.

Have you come around a bend & see a cascade of brake lights sprinting at you to check if you are scanning far enough ahead & respecting the need for following distance.

You Might Be A Super Trucker If...

Have you had an encounter with a Super Trucker? Here's one of mine: You might be a Super Trucker if... you blow by me doing like 80mph, with every tire on your passenger side in my lane, and blowing the air horn so that I know your a badass. About 5 miles later I blow by you... doing 5mph... at the weigh station.I toot the city horn as your standing by your rig... watching the DOT guy shake his head as he puts a tape measure to your load! LOL

$60 Lesson

I just remembered why I don't remove the load locks. I watched a video of truck backing in. Little bit downhill from the start of the lines to the dock. As he was backing, the upper pallet came crashing down. He didn't jerk the truck or anything like that.

$60 Lesson

Once again I am master of the oblivious, missing the obvious solution!

$60 Lesson

Payed the lumper. Stopped at gate for trailer inspection. Came in with 4 load locks, leaving with 3 & 1 of those broken. Guard puts me on the phone with supervisor. He tells me sorry nothing I can do! So I tell him that if I ever deliver here again, the lumper won't be paid until I can inspect my trailer & know that I'm leaving with the equipment I came with.

I've only been allowed on the warehouse floor at Washington Fruit. I'm hooked to the dock so I can't pull forward & check. How do I make sure this doesn't happen again?

ELOG

I work for Tommy Freight out of Chicago. Small 10 truck company. We don't have Qualcomm or similar. When I get dispatched it is with a text message attachment of the broker, load, & stop information.

ELOG

We use a free Android App - AORBD. The form asks information like Truck #, trailer #, there's a field for Shipping document #/Shipper Name/Commodity. Also Origin & Destination etc. You can have only 1 form per day, so I can't fill out a new form when my transit status changes.

About asking the boss, he's real informal about things like procedures. Which would be okay if it was him explaining his logbook to DOT/LEO not me!

ELOG

I am overnight here at the receiver for a 530AM delivery. Later today I will be on a different load. When I start my shift & fill out the form it won't reflect my status later today (origin, destination, etc.). What is the correct way to fill out the form when you're ending the day on a different load than you started?

Enough with the Winter!

Got up at 5am left at 6. Took I80 because if not now, when? Didn't realize the climb was so close, I hadn't even finished my coffee! Got in right behind Old Dominion. I have yet to see an OD lose his track on a curve so I've developed the opinion that they're good drivers. He was going 50MPH no matter what anyone else might have wanted him to do. I was good with that. We wound up last in a convoy of about 20 trucks, which meant that 342 tires were breaking the trail for me.

I'm glad that during my training, I took every opportunity to drive in manual mode without using the Jakes. It would of been a hell of a time to be figuring it out for the 1st time! It was a great learning experience. Thanks for checking on me.

Highway 87 & 260 from Tempe AZ to Holbrook AZ

I don't know about those particular roads, but I do share your fear of heights. What I do is refuse to look at the drop off. I just concentrate on the road and my truck. I was going to Yakima from Portland running empty. The wind pushed me around a couple of times then I had to cross a bridge. Luckily I crossed alone, I just focused on the ending of the bridge. Hang in there.

Enough with the Winter!

@ Wiggle Wagon thank you! I can be kind of rigid in my thinking. I'm going to check that out.

Enough with the Winter!

Beware of freezing fog.

Freezing to my windshield?

Enough with the Winter!

So I've decided that starting at 2AM is not gonna happen. Just got a call from the boss. Really glad to hear him say it's all about safety & if I don't feel safe then to wait. So I'm going to wait for daylight. Just found the 511 phone number so I will be using that as the starting point for deciding. Thing is, I've been on the job for just 8 days, worried about not driving when I could.

Warm Engine Before Driving

Forgive me for being dense. But how does running the engine keep the fuel & DEF in the tanks from freezing?