Comments By Robsteeler

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0783118001555110739-78800.jpg avatar
  • Robsteeler
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year ago

Why when I back.

I also have problems with judging distances, but my biggest concern is is that I seem to not be straight in the docks half the time. It's embarring to have to keep fixing my position. I was so crooked last week that I pulled up and kept making it worse!😂 It took forever to get myself straight in the dock.

Posted:  1 year ago

Schneider Pulled a Sneaky On Me

I thought the company was too big to keep track of that stuff, and I thought I was just lucky getting a brand new truck and pretty much never sitting anywhere, but I must be doing something right. I got a ride to the pharmacy with another driver because Schneider won't let me drive anything while I'm on meds, even the company car. This driver did nothing but complain about the company the entire time. He's an older guy with a lot of time in the seat, and I wonder how. He was a terrible car driver, going in a do not enter driveway, all over the road, and too busy complaining to pay attention to the road. He was complaining about his old, beaten up truck too, and was shocked when I told him I had a brand new truck that no one had ever had before. All his trucks have been old. He mentioned that he's all for himself because the company didn't care about him and they don't mess with him because "he don't play." He said they never mess with his hometime because they know him at the company and he'll call his lawyer. I couldn't believe this guy, and I'm sure they do know him, and not favorably. I was in a lot of pain riding with him, and he was painful to be around. I think there's a lot to what Brett says, and I didn't really believe it until I saw how an "old timer" is treated in the company vs. a rookie like me who never has a problem when I need to be off, and gets new equipment and anything else I've asked for. It's all in your performance and attitude.

Posted:  1 year ago

10-speed vs. Everything else

I saw Peterbilt has auto 18's now. The computer does all the work I guess. Are they automated manuals like the Detroit 12?

Posted:  1 year ago

Another kidney stone!

I was told to drink more water. The problem is I limit my drinking while I'm driving because otherwise I have to pull over constantly. I'm not sure what to do to make my bladder hold it, lol! I usually try to drink more when I stop for the day.

Posted:  1 year ago

Are Drop And Hooks Really Any Better Than Live Loads? - article by Rainy

Lot of good points. I still prefer D&H, but there are places like Marshall's in Philly that you've literally got about 6 inches on each side of the trailer. I always slide my tandems all the way back when I go there. I had a live load at a metal recycler in NJ a couple weeks ago that it took me longer to back down the street, blindside and pull inside the building than it took them to load me. 15 minutes loading and I was on the road.

Posted:  1 year ago

New truck :)

Congrats! I've got the same truck (2019) but in Schneider livery. I love it overall. They come with a great memory foam mattress too.

G-Town, the new ones seem slightly more maneuverable to me.

I did think the new ones had less storage than my 2016, but it's so nice inside I almost don't care. Good Luck with yours, and watch out for the phantom flashers!

Posted:  1 year ago

Another kidney stone!

Started the day in Hamburg, PA at the Cabela's. Felt like I was getting a UTI, and since I'm prone to them, I figured I'd have to figure out how to get into an urgent care. My load was headed down to the Carlisle OC, so I started rolling at 0330. Stopped for a bathroom break and picked up a breakfast sandwich on the way out, which I scarfed down, and started rolling again. The irritation turned into a slight pain, which quickly became intense. I was getting close, so I ditched my idea of stopping on the road and calling an ambulance (yes it was that bad). So I got to Carlisle and stopped in the fuel isle and went inside. Ambulance took me to a local hospital and it was a kidney stone. Had one about 3 months ago, I'm not sure if I mentioned it on here, but I didn't find it to be as painful as people always seemed to make out. Thought maybe I was just tough. 😂 Well, I'm not. I thought my appendix must have burst it hurt so bad. I'm out until at least Monday hanging out in my truck. If anyone is in the Carlisle OC, send me a message! 🙂

Posted:  1 year ago

Schneider Pulled a Sneaky On Me

I had a similar load last weekend. I picked up a load on Friday that had to go to a Walmart DC on Sunday. Since you are not allowed to deliver early to Walmart, I squeezed in a 34 since I was running off recaps already.

Local Job With Schneider

Good Luck! I'm heading to Brooklyn tomorrow 😔 very excited. 😂 I've been doing pretty good on milage since I went OTR. I take 6 days off at the end of each month, and I still get a paycheck even on those weeks. I would like to see my wife more, so things could be changing this summer. (Plus I haven't talked to that guy yet about the supervisory position.)

Some people...

If you’re going to smack talk, at least spell properly.rofl-2.gif

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Does Roehl Charge Tuition If You Fail Your CDL Exam?

I delivered to the shop rite in Stamford, CT. Just getting there was no fun and the dock was really tough in the parking lot. I also love the place I was at last week in Carlstadt, NJ. Metal recycler on veterans ave. Not fun in traffic.

Getting Hire With Preventable Accidents

Dear God, this post is ridiculous. Why beat around the bush? Just tell us what happened, and what you did. Secondly, why even post if you don't want to get back into driving? 😒

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Does Roehl Charge Tuition If You Fail Your CDL Exam?

I failed at my company sponsored school. They gave me another test the next week, which I also failed. Schneider paid for a few more hours and another test in my home state, so I had to do everything over again, but I finally passed maneuvers, and failed on the road test because my tandems rubbed the curb going around a jug handle. I could have easily given up at any number of points. So Schneider was done, and wouldn’t come up with anymore money for tests. I had to rent the truck and pay for the test myself, which I passed the next week. The point is, you have to put forth the effort and do the work. I worked my butt off in a lot of pain, because I didn’t want to give up. I didn’t give up and now I’m almost done with my first year at Schneider. Keep pushing yourself.

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Ok to run with no brake lights or turn signal on trailer.

I’ve had to spread connections open with a screw driver or pocketknife. It’s usually Hyundai trailers that it happens to for some reason.

Birthday Today

Happy Birthday! Are you at Millwood by chance? I’m heading there in the morning. I thought that was you in Hamilton.

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Challenging dock for a newbie.

I hadn’t seen that. I’ll check it out.

At least I’ve gone from being terrified at the thought of having to dock to just being mildly anxious. Lol

That's how I was. I used to be staying up at night wondering if I'd have a really bad dock in the morning, and if I'd be able to get it in without hitting something. I don't even worry about it now, I know I'll get in even if it's ugly! 😂

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Why does this offer come now?

Yeah, some days I feel like catching a bus home, lol!😂 Other days, I absolutely love what I'm doing. Every day though, I love driving the truck, so that's why I'm torn. If I did this, it would be the end of driving. I don't think I can do that. I don't know. I'll really have to think about this.

Best Mattress For OTR Driving

I had a topper in my last truck. Very nice, but the new mattress is amazing. I have the hybrid memory foam at home and like it, but my new truck came with solid memory foam and it's amazing. I love it.

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Why does this offer come now?

I'm really a bit torn right now, and I kind of wish this offer came a year or so ago before I started this. I know a guy that was my lieutenant when I made sergeant, then I was his Captain after a few years just contacted me. He's upper management with a company that handles delivery logistics nationwide for Amazon. He wants to hire me for administrative work managing dispatchers in their Philadelphia office. He knows how well I did in my leo days with that and he offered me close to my current pay. I would be home every day though. The issue is that I spent so much blood, sweat, and tears to get where I am now, just over a month away from finishing a year driving. I would probably jump on it if I hadn't worked so hard and perservered though so many difficulties. I'm not sure if I should meet with him and discuss it as he wants, or just tell him I'm not interested. Any thoughts guys and gals?

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

VERY Choppy Job History.... Where should I apply?

If you are really good at maneuvering, you should try Schneider. I had trouble, so it was a struggle, but I was out with a trainer for a week. 3 1/2 days in actual time driving with the trainer. It wasn't enough for me, and I had a couple of minor issues in the first couple months. Honestly though, Prime or Schneider will definitely take you with a sketchy job history.