Comments By Robsteeler

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0783118001555110739-78800.jpg avatar
  • Robsteeler
  • 1 year, 6 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  4 months ago

Are Drop And Hooks Really Any Better Than Live Loads? - article by Rainy

Lot of good points. I still prefer D&H, but there are places like Marshall's in Philly that you've literally got about 6 inches on each side of the trailer. I always slide my tandems all the way back when I go there. I had a live load at a metal recycler in NJ a couple weeks ago that it took me longer to back down the street, blindside and pull inside the building than it took them to load me. 15 minutes loading and I was on the road.

Posted:  4 months ago

New truck :)

Congrats! I've got the same truck (2019) but in Schneider livery. I love it overall. They come with a great memory foam mattress too.

G-Town, the new ones seem slightly more maneuverable to me.

I did think the new ones had less storage than my 2016, but it's so nice inside I almost don't care. Good Luck with yours, and watch out for the phantom flashers!

Posted:  4 months ago

Another kidney stone!

Started the day in Hamburg, PA at the Cabela's. Felt like I was getting a UTI, and since I'm prone to them, I figured I'd have to figure out how to get into an urgent care. My load was headed down to the Carlisle OC, so I started rolling at 0330. Stopped for a bathroom break and picked up a breakfast sandwich on the way out, which I scarfed down, and started rolling again. The irritation turned into a slight pain, which quickly became intense. I was getting close, so I ditched my idea of stopping on the road and calling an ambulance (yes it was that bad). So I got to Carlisle and stopped in the fuel isle and went inside. Ambulance took me to a local hospital and it was a kidney stone. Had one about 3 months ago, I'm not sure if I mentioned it on here, but I didn't find it to be as painful as people always seemed to make out. Thought maybe I was just tough. 😂 Well, I'm not. I thought my appendix must have burst it hurt so bad. I'm out until at least Monday hanging out in my truck. If anyone is in the Carlisle OC, send me a message! 🙂

Posted:  4 months ago

Schneider Pulled a Sneaky On Me

I had a similar load last weekend. I picked up a load on Friday that had to go to a Walmart DC on Sunday. Since you are not allowed to deliver early to Walmart, I squeezed in a 34 since I was running off recaps already.

Posted:  4 months ago

Local Job With Schneider

Good Luck! I'm heading to Brooklyn tomorrow 😔 very excited. 😂 I've been doing pretty good on milage since I went OTR. I take 6 days off at the end of each month, and I still get a paycheck even on those weeks. I would like to see my wife more, so things could be changing this summer. (Plus I haven't talked to that guy yet about the supervisory position.)

Posted:  4 months ago

Some people...

If you’re going to smack talk, at least spell properly.rofl-2.gif

Posted:  4 months ago

Does Roehl Charge Tuition If You Fail Your CDL Exam?

I delivered to the shop rite in Stamford, CT. Just getting there was no fun and the dock was really tough in the parking lot. I also love the place I was at last week in Carlstadt, NJ. Metal recycler on veterans ave. Not fun in traffic.

Posted:  4 months ago

Getting Hire With Preventable Accidents

Dear God, this post is ridiculous. Why beat around the bush? Just tell us what happened, and what you did. Secondly, why even post if you don't want to get back into driving? 😒

Posted:  4 months ago

Does Roehl Charge Tuition If You Fail Your CDL Exam?

I failed at my company sponsored school. They gave me another test the next week, which I also failed. Schneider paid for a few more hours and another test in my home state, so I had to do everything over again, but I finally passed maneuvers, and failed on the road test because my tandems rubbed the curb going around a jug handle. I could have easily given up at any number of points. So Schneider was done, and wouldn’t come up with anymore money for tests. I had to rent the truck and pay for the test myself, which I passed the next week. The point is, you have to put forth the effort and do the work. I worked my butt off in a lot of pain, because I didn’t want to give up. I didn’t give up and now I’m almost done with my first year at Schneider. Keep pushing yourself.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Ok to run with no brake lights or turn signal on trailer.

I’ve had to spread connections open with a screw driver or pocketknife. It’s usually Hyundai trailers that it happens to for some reason.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Birthday Today

Happy Birthday! Are you at Millwood by chance? I’m heading there in the morning. I thought that was you in Hamilton.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Challenging dock for a newbie.

I hadn’t seen that. I’ll check it out.

At least I’ve gone from being terrified at the thought of having to dock to just being mildly anxious. Lol

That's how I was. I used to be staying up at night wondering if I'd have a really bad dock in the morning, and if I'd be able to get it in without hitting something. I don't even worry about it now, I know I'll get in even if it's ugly! 😂

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Why does this offer come now?

Yeah, some days I feel like catching a bus home, lol!😂 Other days, I absolutely love what I'm doing. Every day though, I love driving the truck, so that's why I'm torn. If I did this, it would be the end of driving. I don't think I can do that. I don't know. I'll really have to think about this.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Best Mattress For OTR Driving

I had a topper in my last truck. Very nice, but the new mattress is amazing. I have the hybrid memory foam at home and like it, but my new truck came with solid memory foam and it's amazing. I love it.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Why does this offer come now?

I'm really a bit torn right now, and I kind of wish this offer came a year or so ago before I started this. I know a guy that was my lieutenant when I made sergeant, then I was his Captain after a few years just contacted me. He's upper management with a company that handles delivery logistics nationwide for Amazon. He wants to hire me for administrative work managing dispatchers in their Philadelphia office. He knows how well I did in my leo days with that and he offered me close to my current pay. I would be home every day though. The issue is that I spent so much blood, sweat, and tears to get where I am now, just over a month away from finishing a year driving. I would probably jump on it if I hadn't worked so hard and perservered though so many difficulties. I'm not sure if I should meet with him and discuss it as he wants, or just tell him I'm not interested. Any thoughts guys and gals?

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

VERY Choppy Job History.... Where should I apply?

If you are really good at maneuvering, you should try Schneider. I had trouble, so it was a struggle, but I was out with a trainer for a week. 3 1/2 days in actual time driving with the trainer. It wasn't enough for me, and I had a couple of minor issues in the first couple months. Honestly though, Prime or Schneider will definitely take you with a sketchy job history.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Late Home Time

When I was Northeast regional I was late for home time almost every week. They would give me live unloads constantly on Fridays and I'd get stuck overnight because I'd run out of hours. I'm OTR now because I got tired of it. Now they can only mess it up once a month. 😂

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Update on my trucking journey

I've got bad knees which makes it tough getting in the trailer, but the good thing is that all of Schneider's trailers have built in ladder steps. It's easy to get up and down. Now, granted, I haven't done it with one leg, but check them out and make sure whatever company you go with has that. Also, Schneider doesn't have an agility test for dry van.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Leasing!

Bruce, you're not driving anymore? I thought you were still with Schneider. I must have missed an update somewhere. I like that Schneider doesn't push the leasing as well. I know most big companies do, but I've never even heard a sales pitch yet. I'm not doing it myself. I'm almost at a year. After that I'm playing it by ear. I may switch accounts to dedicated, or see if I can get a local gig. I'd like to stay at Schneider if possible, but we're planning on moving out of NJ next year, God willing and it depends on where we go. We still haven't decided where to move to, lol. OUT OF THE NORTHEAST.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Castleton on Hudson Pilot. Tight parking

Jeremy, I've been to that Rotterdam Pilot. Parking sucked so bad and I was almost out of hours so I used points to pay for premium parking. Lots of room there. 😂