Comments By Robsteeler

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0783118001555110739-78800.jpg avatar

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Castleton on Hudson Pilot. Tight parking

Jeremy, I've been to that Rotterdam Pilot. Parking sucked so bad and I was almost out of hours so I used points to pay for premium parking. Lots of room there. 😂

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Castleton on Hudson Pilot. Tight parking

Oh, eff both of those places. 😂

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Leasing!

I'm not tempted anymore to lease. I would definitely not be tempted if I leased and still had to depend on someone else to pick my loads. At least Schneider let's you handle everything yourself. You pick the loads yourself from the app. I'd like that aspect the most I think, but not enough to do a lease. I've read some of the trip planning articles and I see some companies allow their company drivers to get all their loads for the week set up to plan. That's one aspect I would really like. With my company I get a load. Complete that load. Wait for another (I've been lucky, I usually never have to wait, but I hear other drivers complain that they wait days sometimes. I'm usually constantly running) then deliver that load and get another. I never have more than one load unless there's a holiday or computer upgrades where they have to give me several loads at once. I've done much better that way because I was able to plan better. But back on topic, the only thing that I see leases offering that I'd like is the planning aspect, but I see I could get that and still be a company driver at several different companies.

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Castleton on Hudson Pilot. Tight parking

Sometimes I feel like an idiot backing in and pulling up a bunch of times. Sometimes I even slide my tandems all the way back so my tail swing is gone. Had to do that at Marshall's in Philly last week. But I don't care what other drivers think. If I get it in and don't hit anything I call that a win. 🙂

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

LOW FREIGHT---IS THIS TRUE?

I've been so busy, I needed some time off. Really run down. I've been burning up my 70 and running off recap hours, but I got stuck in Florida last week with no freight for a day. I'm staying home till next Friday and getting blood work done on Tuesday. Hopefully I'm just tired and old, not coming down with something.

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Accident at fuel Island

10 whole months. My company allows that as well, but I completely disagree with it.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime Inc TNT students will see increased mileage requirements in training

Just a question about the simulators...how close are they to how a steer tire blowout feels, or a full on skid on ice? I had a slight skid on ice in my actual truck, and it didn't seem the same to me as the Sim.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

New driver legs and but are killing me!

I keep my seat low and move and flex my legs as much as possible. Unfortunately, the new cascadia has a different hood mirror design and I've had to increase my seat height to see them. I've noticed a difference, but I've adjusted my seat down until I need to crane my neck to see the mirrors. It's a compromise, but it's put me almost where I was before. Move as much as possible.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Ozarks

Yep, mountains, dense fog, and dark are a scary combination. Even our eastern "tiny" mountains.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime Inc TNT students will see increased mileage requirements in training

Brett, you say freight is slow, I say freight is slow, everybody says freight is slow and right now I'm waiting for a load, so why why is it that every time I hit an OC, yesterday for one, I see full classes of trainees. The OC I stopped in also had rows upon rows of brand new trucks with the plastic on the seats as well. What do they know that no one else seems to know?

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime Inc TNT students will see increased mileage requirements in training

Why is there such a disparity in training miles from company to company? At Schneider I only drove two weeks with my trainer (plus or minus 6,000 miles) and then they put me solo. I loved getting out on my own, but in retrospect, I really needed more training.

YOU needed training? I only had a week, which broke down to 3 1/2 days of actual driving training with a home daily guy. He rushed through the day so he could make it home. I'm lucky I didn't have an actual accident. The little incidents I had would have been prevented with a bit more experience. I really hope I'm past that sort of thing at this point, but I don't want to get complacent. The saving Grace is that Schneider's instructors really are top notch. I think the incidents I had resulting in more training really helped.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Terminated by Schneider

Just a tip that I've noticed. It's mostly steering input that triggers these events. Any sudden, or jerky movements WILL trigger stability control. That's why I repeat SMOOTH out loud as I go through turns. I can go twice as fast around a turn if I'm completely smooth and deliberate. If I'm going 9 mph(one of my events) and jerk the wheel it will trigger. Also, you may be issued a new truck, P4 in our parlance, with no training on it like I was. Just remember to go smoothly around turns, and don't hit the brakes as hard as the old Freightliners. The discs grab harder and faster and will trigger a critical event hard braking if you hit it too hard. I've also noticed that the sensors for the cruise control are not as precise as the last one. It doesn't want to slow me down for when people are really in front of me. It gets me much closer to traffic than I like. I think there is a way to adjust that and I'm going to ask about it. Also, sometimes it doesn't see stopped traffic. DO NOT DEPEND ON IT TO STOP YOU! You shouldn't anyway, but sometimes you think it'll slow you down and it won't. But it will for an overpass shadow. 😂 Bottom line...be very careful with it. It's different than you're used to. Ask for training on the new truck.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Terminated by Schneider

The sensors are crazy, and have given me weird critical events as well. Some of them don't even get back to my DBL for some reason. I just had a stability control the other day turning into traffic. I was going 6 mph and hit a bump. I think when the wheel is turned, these things are super sensitive. I also had training on the new truck after two critical events. A stability control event, and a hard braking. The difference is as soon as I saw how sensitive the new truck is, these things would not have triggered my old truck, I asked for more training. Now I talk to myself every time I turn. It has been working mostly. I did have a critical event recently where it actually said I crashed the truck. Never triggered to the company. I was driving in a construction zone and it got wonky because a sign was ahead and it lightly put on the brakes and flashed red. Then I turned because the road turned and it triggered a collision critical event. With this said, I can't believe Schneider terminated you. They very much try not to. I'm not sure if you had an attitude, or something else happened. Good luck.

Posted:  11 months ago

We bare all!

I'm heading for Jacksonville this morning. According to Trucker Path, there's a dearth of truck stops in the area.

Posted:  11 months ago

What Are The Best Truck Stops, And Why?

Nose in. Oh, dear God I learned my lesson on that. Took me 30 minutes of sweating (which was hard because there was a foot of snow on the ground), cursing, and getting out a looking CONSTANTLY. I kept sliding in the snow, and some nice gentleman made his own spot close to the back of the trailer. There was tons of room and no spot behind me, I was tired, and just pulled in and went to sleep. Fun times, but I made it out without hitting anything. I won't nose in again!

Posted:  11 months ago

We bare all!

That's all I need. Bad enough missing my wife, I'm not gonna torture myself. 😂

Posted:  11 months ago

Pre trip- what is the DOT requirement

The only thing I don't do is pump my brakes. Especially with how loud they are on the new truck. I'd be getting a beat down the first time I did that at 0330. 😂 But there's absolutely NO WAY I'm pulling out without making sure some nice person didn't pull my 5th wheel while I slept. My inspection takes maybe ten minutes or so. So I usually make coffee while I wait. I'm just being realistic. I don't think anyone does a real pre-trip the way DOT wants it done.

Posted:  11 months ago

Surviving my 1st year

I'm assuming you have direct deposit and she has access to the money? Also, you need to have time to talk each day and stuff to do to make you less lonely on the road. No, not lot lizards, books, PC, or some sort of TV. I have an iPad that I watch TV with, and read my books on.

Posted:  11 months ago

Not my day

I've been getting so many live loads lately that 400 miles would be a good day. I came flying into Pilot today with 10 minutes left on my clock and 380 miles run. Spent more than 6 hours between a live load, and a live unload.😐

Posted:  11 months ago

Pre trip- what is the DOT requirement

On our last weekly safety call, the safety officer said we should be doing half hour pretrips, because it takes 10 minutes to do the cab/brake check alone. I used to make sure I logged at least 20 minutes, but I've been extending them since the call.