Comments By Chuck S.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0766472001537896957-78844.jpg avatar

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

The Guys Who Do The Most Complaining Put In The Least Effort

The title of this says it all... and the other side of this coin should say... the hardest workers don't have time to complain ... right

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Routing

When I was new to trucking our company would route us around every big city in the country (before we all started using gps) then one day I decided to drive right through St. Louis on s 70 and not take the bypass. Well that was the norm for me if there were no restrictions and it wasn't rush hour. Atlanta was no exception.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Ask for new trainer, or suck it up?

It's sad we can't put down our phones...even truckers. I was headed up to Seattle with a student and happened to be following one of our company trucks when all of a sudden cars started spinning and parts started flying everywhere. Turns out my fellow truck driver from my company who happened to be a trainer and was driving at the time (after the accident it was told to me by an investigator that he was texting at the time of the accident) rear ended another semi who was slowing down for someone on the side of the road. When the texting trainer reacted his first instinct was to hit the brakes, problem was he didn't have time to hit the clutch. The transmission exploded into a million parts all over the road.

Fortunately everyone survived this accident, a good career was lost in the aftermath

Moral of the story ... yea you guessed it

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Real Old School Trucks

Olny=only ... sorry

and I forgot to say... that was loaded or unloaded

Chuck, that's hilarious!

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Real Old School Trucks

62 mph uphill or downhill hammer down... didn't matter ... olny two problems... you needed to put your foot on the dash to get in out of gear, and if you missed a gear you needed to stop and start all over again

Posted:  3 months ago

Boredom on the Road

If you have an excellent work ethic you will not be bored. Keeping busy is easy in this career. Approach everyday with a willingness to do the best you got and then take it to the next level beyond that, and the only thing you will be thinking about is parking at the end of your day hoping you stay awake long enough to get a couple of bits of food before you pass out.

Boredum is a strong theme in my life right now and i am worried about being bored out of my gourd when i get out there. I am hoping that audiobooks and my phone will be enough to keep me sane, but i get bored easily and i tend to get sleepy when i am bored. What do you guys do to ward off the mind numbing spectre of dullness or are you mostly content to watch the universe move around you while you stay stationary?

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Truck parking during home time

Every company is different...best be upfront with them before it's too late. Most companies are concerned about their equipment. They don't want it stolen or vandalized. Parking tickets are going to be your responsibility.

I asked my neighbors ... they just didn't want engines running all night ...

never had a problem

good luck

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Career change

At 54 and starting your second career, if you stay healthy, you can work as long as you want. I met several truck drivers who made this a career well into their 70's and beyond.

be safe out there

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

How do OTR drivers manage to stay in good health?

Watch what you eat. Seriously!

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

I can never see any reason under the sun why trucks should ever be overweight.

It comes down to the bottom line every time. Maximizing every load is going to be every shippers goal. Some shippers will have scales, and some don't. Some shippers have smart people loading trucks, and some don't. It's always going to come down to the driver to make sure he or she is at legal weight. For over 10+ years I pulled about every trailer ever made, and had 1 overweight ticket. So it can be done.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

What is the toughest single skill to master as a student semi driver?

Backing up a big truck without a doubt.

this will sound like a big fish story, but it is true I just don't have video to back this up but,

I don't recommend anyone do this at anytime in their career as a truck drive

one day years ago as a rookie driver I was sitting in a dock getting unloaded when a trucker pulled up in his rig ( a nice rig at that ) and proceeded to back into the dock next to me and what happened next left me speechless .

After he put in reverse and let out the clutch his door flew open, he jumped out on the top step, facing backwards while standing on the step he guided the truck into the dock all while he had his left hand on the steering wheel and his right hand holding the phone up to his ear.... only to jump in at the last min. to stop the truck ... no bs

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucking and a recession

I never missed a beat all through the mess of 2008 and 2009. maybe if you only haul car or high end furniture... otherwise the groceries still need to move

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Can I Physically Handle Trucking?

Depending on the company you choose, some have you walk a short distance with 2 or 3 different sets of weight. the most I was ever required to carry was 75 lbs. and had to walk with it 10 steps. then I was required to lift that same weight from a low shelf to a shelf that was about shoulder height to me.

again different companies do different test.

the only real world test I ever got on a dock was a company I delivered to would only give me a hand jack to unload 1 pallet. Well it just so happened that 1 pallet weighed 2000 lbs. I couldn't move it with my little 240 lbs frame, but I got lucky and Tiny walked by (another driver that had to weight every bit of 500 lbs) oh yea ... we got it out...

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Need advice - Hubby with Trainer from Hell

He needs to ask for a new trainer.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

How many times roughly do you have to stop and chain up your truck annually?

You will find a wide variety of opinions when talking about chains on this site. I can say from all my years on the road running mostly the western states, that it's really hit or miss. some years i chained up more then others, but an average of maybe 7 to 10 times what i learned though ... if you time it right and hit those chain up areas about noon-ish sometimes you could catch a break on the chain laws

just sayin

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

Need advice on going out OTR with a trainer

When I started training new drivers years ago I had a list of rules for the truck. It started out with a couple of pages (hand written) nothing formal. over the course of a couple of years it ended up getting much shorter, and it became one rule.

You need to listen. When you quit listening, I am done training you.

Just listen

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Suspicious Fumes from the Vents

Need to stay on this with the shop. I had an exhaust leak that my company shop never found. finally the dealership fixed it, but I payed a price. I didn't feel good for about a year. These types of problems can end a career.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Don’t make the same mistake I did.

A 47 year veteran truck driver told me the best advise early in my career that kept me out of trouble.... learn to stay in the right lane out of everybody's way

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

What's easier to train?

There are only a couple of reasons you would train someone with experience either they didn't pass the drive test with a new employer, or have been out of the business for a period of time and needs a refresher course

either way I have several years of training under my own person belt, and it was much easier for me to work with someone starting out new with no experience. problems with training someone who claims to have experience, or actually can drive a big truck. anyone can claim to have experience, but the truth becomes known quickly once they get behind the wheel.

Have my first trainee and was curious on others opinions. What has been easier for you to train? A new driver coming out of school that you can mold to finish how you know it should be or an experienced driver that may "know" what they're doing?

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

CB Question(s)

a few shippers and receivers use them, dot in california likes to yell at you in the scales, some truck stops use them when you are on their scales, it's handy when you need them. you will probably spend 100 bucks for a start up system, you can spend a lot more then that if you want.

you might want to get a hand held (portable) radio to start out with... might be all you would need tip ... don't put batteries in the hand held, just plug it into the cigarette lighter when you need to use it... good luck

Hey guys, Maybe a silly question but I've seen people talking about buying a CB - do trucks not come equipped w/ a CB? Or maybe people just like the upgraded / fancy ones? How important is getting a "good" one? Thoughts / advice on CB's? Thanks!