Comments By Phishtech

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0457308001537796781-79382.jpg avatar

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Almost there

Finished truck driving school last week when I passed my driving skills test. Took my Tanker test yesterday and passed (it was really a no-brainer test). Took my HazMat test yesterday and failed so I took it again today and passed.

Now after all this I find out I still have to have ANOTHER background check and more finger prints since I did the HazMat.

Gonna report to Schneider next Tuesday to start the real training, can't wait.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Dedicated vs Intermodal

Thanks Old School. Your years of experience and knowledge of the overall trucking industry makes me want to listen up when you chime in on a post. I'm gonna take your advice and stick with the Costco route. I'll let everyone know how it goes when I start.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Dedicated vs Intermodal

Be careful of dedicated routes. Many require you unload the truck yourself and after all that stressful driving, that might be hard. you will already be exhausted.

also, make sure intermodal divisions are also company drivers. some companies, including my company, intermodal is for lease ops only and that is a whole other issue you dont want to deal with. so.be sure to ask.

Schneider's Costco dedicated is 100% no touch drop and hook, dry van and reefer.

Their intermodal is all company driver. The Costco dedicated starts in Laredo or Dallas TEXAS then runs thru TEXAS Oklahoma Louisianna and Kansas. I feel sure the Costco dedicated route will be a lot less stressful than a typical OTR job, although if I were single I'd really like the OTR.

I was hoping a Schneider or other intermodal driver would post up what kind of miles and pay I could expect.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Dedicated vs Intermodal

Hey Phistech,

I went through the same dilemma when I went through Schneider. Either Dollar Tree or Intermodal. And also like you I wanted the one that would get me home the most. I ending up going Dollar Tree however in the end they probably both would of ended up being equal. Now for Intermodal Chicago is a major hub and pretty much all containers being picked up was somewhere in the city. So definitely hard on a new driver. The regional guys I believe did alot of runs to Indianapolis and back and after 3 months I think you are "elgible" for local. How long you'll have to wait for local can be another story. So I hope this helps I don't know anything about cosco so couldn't comment there

And now that I think about it if you go on youtube and search a channel called Ricecake ftw he was a Schneider intermodal driver and filmed a lot of his experiences. Hoped this help alittle. And you definitely have my respect going in trucking at your age.

Costco dedicated starts either in Laredo or Dallas which is where Costco has their distribution centers.

From there I'll drop loads in TEXAS Louisianna Oklahoma and Kansas.

Schneider intermodal delivers to rail yards within 400 miles of Houston.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Dedicated vs Intermodal

Gotta report to Schneider's Dallas training site in a couple of weeks. My Green Bay recruiter tells me they'll start me at 37 cpm, while my local recruiter said 40 cpm when I talked to him.

I'm trying to determine which would pay more in the long run (miles driven). Green Bay says I'd average 2000 miles a week driving a dedicated Costco route, but I can find nothing about average miles for their regional intermodal jobs.

Gotta be home weekly for the wife's sake so these, pay wise, seem to be best for my needs.

Please advise me on this as I'm a 72 year old newbie.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

On the subject of CB radios.......

Would you please recommend a good brand to use?

Amazon has several from $60 and up. Thanks

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Anyone carry their laptop?

Just wondering if taking my laptop along would benefit me since it has a large screen and all the navigation apps I should need like Google Earth, Maps, etc. I even have some software I haven't used called Streets and Trips. And thanks

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Need a job, come to TEXAS.......

How much experience are they looking for do you know?

From what I understand, a lot of the companies in the oil fields will take you with no experience and train you.

Also, the folks who haul sand to the fields live in man-camps and work 3 weeks on 1 week off and a minimum of 12 hours a day. They're booming and need people. Best bet would be to do a little computer searching and get your info.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Need a job, come to TEXAS.......

ODESSA, TEXAS (Reuters) - Job fairs are stocked with people hungry for better opportunities, but inside the MCM Grande Hotel in Odessa, Texas, oil services giant Halliburton is the one doing the wooing.

“We need to hire you is our message,” said Chris Redman, a field services manager with Summit ESP, which Halliburton acquired last year.

More than 500 men and women flocked to the hotel in Odessa, Texas, on a Thursday last month to be courted by Halliburton, which needs people to handle everything from oilfield technicians to truck drivers, as oil production booms and qualified workers become more scarce.

The U.S. unemployment rate is 3.9 percent, just off an 18-year low, but job growth has slowed more recently - notably because companies are having trouble finding people.

That is particularly true in the oilfields of West Texas, where workers from local towns like Midland and Odessa have flocked to the oil industry for higher pay. According to a June Dallas Federal Reserve Bank survey of 60 oil executives operating in West Texas, more than half cited difficulty finding workers as a potential drag on growth.

Halliburton, the second largest provider of oilfield services after Schlumberger, is adding more than 175 jobs a month, hiring executives say. Redman said people with commercial drivers' licenses are in particular demand, but numerous attendees at the jobs fair do not have that license.

Janice Venables, 57, drove out to West Texas from Mississippi a month ago, after being laid off from Mississippi Power last year. She is applying for two jobs with Halliburton, but says she has applied for as many as 26 other oilfield jobs.

“I don’t care where I go. I just need a job, and I’ve heard the wages are good,” said Venables. She lives in a recreational vehicle with her dog and cat, does not have a commercial driver's license, but has started the process to enroll in a commercial driving class this fall.

Kenneth McGowan, 21, drove 12 hours from Mississippi with five friends, some just above the legal age to work for Halliburton, to apply for oilfield jobs.

Like many in attendance, they heard about the fair through a Facebook advertisement. McGowan, who works as a stocker at a Walmart, hopes to find a job providing cementing services for wells.

“I’m not worried about the long hours,” said McGowan, who is supporting a 3-year-old daughter. He does not have a commercial driver's license, but said he is prepared to get one if needed.

McGowan and his friends are not the only job hopefuls to make the trek from Mississippi, where employment in June was 4.7 percent, one of the highest levels in the United States, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The rush to apply for commercial drivers' licenses comes as demand for truck drivers, in the oil industry and elsewhere, has driven up wages for anyone with the license.

Frank Hardin of Tennessee, who previously drove trucks delivering sand with Amerifield Inc, said he recently landed a job as a driver CIG Logistics.

Instead of getting paid per load delivered, he now has a salaried position with CIG, which starts workers at as much as $85,000 with full benefits. Hardin welcomes the change.

“That’s what everyone wants. It’s a cakewalk for guys who’ve been on the road for years,” he said.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Well, it finally happened.......

At Schneider's HQ in Green Bay, Wisconsin, someone dropped the ball and quit using Houston Community College as their go-to training school for this area because they checked on-line and found it took 6 - 8 weeks after completion to schedule a road test at any DPS location. They didn't check with the college and see that they were certified to give the road test on campus.

So I put a bug in my GB recruiter's ear and informed her of the facts.

Got a call from GB yesterday and they had set me up to start school next Monday. I'm on my way!!! WoooooHooooo!

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

A lesson in patience, Brooklyn, and Chinese takee-outee moped delivery.

That's exactly why I live in the South!!

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

WHAT A GREAT BIG BUMMER !!!

Thanks to all for the advice. After Yuuyo said what he did I called the HCC truck driving school and sure enough they DO give you your driving test on-campus. Makes me wonder why Schneider would drop them with the excuse that it takes too long to do the road test ??

Anyway, I still need to be trained to drive a big rig before I test out, so it looks like I'll sign up with HCC for the August 9 start date and let Schneider pay me back. I'll also be looking at other local carriers now.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

WHAT A GREAT BIG BUMMER !!!

Unfortunately, Schneider has stopped using HCC for their training. I suppose I could pay for it myself and Schneider could reimburse me.

Thanks for the help.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

WHAT A GREAT BIG BUMMER !!!

As some of you know, I've been waiting for Schneider to give me the go-ahead to start school at a local community college about 10 minutes from my house.

Schneider HQ called today to say it's a no-go because after completing the school it takes 6-8 weeks to get in to DPS for the road test. I have to say I can believe it since Houston is a MAJOR transportation hub. They offered to send me to Minnesota for a faster turn-a-round. I'd have to pay for meals and personals and they don't pay during training.

Did a web search and there are plenty of small towns within 150 miles of here that would be easy to get in for the test, but that's probably not an option.

Any suggestions someone can throw at me? Other local companies would have the same problem.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

All that studying and the test only had 20 questions

Been studying here on TT, doing the practice tests over and over to get ready for the TEXAS Class A combination exam.

Finally got into the DPS office today and the test only had 20 questions, go figger. I actually think they don't want anyone to fail.

What was weird is that I only recognized 6 questions from the TT tests that I studied, the rest were worded to imply some event that might happen while driving and you had to figure out what best to do to mitigate it. I only missed 3 and now am waiting for Schneider to tell me when to show up for their school.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

I'm confused, need an answer

Phishtech, I had a guy go through my permit class a week or so ago. He was a 20 year city bus driver (with air brakes), so by taking the Combination Vehicle test, all 20 questions, he got his CDL-A permit and stepped over to the CDL school.

You should have no problem.

And no, that's not me in my avatar either.

I kinda figured you weren't that handsome.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

I'm confused, need an answer

That's a great idea!!

My dad was born in Nacogdoches way back in 1900. I've spent many a day on Sam Rayburn catching White Perch and bass. He's gone now and I really miss those days.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

I'm confused, need an answer

Yes, all the school busses I drive have air brakes.

Schneider wants to hire me and I was a little confused about how to make my B class license into an A class. Brett put me on the right path.

The biggest problem I'm having is getting into a Texas DPS office. The Houston area is BOOMING BIG TIME and so many people are gravitating to this area because of the abundance of jobs. I tried 3 times this week to get in, once I showed up an hour before they open only to find about a hundred people already waiting to get in the door. The DPS super centers are even worse.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Sleep Apnea

I dearly love my cpap machine. I don't even know I have the mask on at night and my whole life changed for the better when I started getting a REAL nights sleep.

If you are a military veteran the VA will hook you up with a machine and all the gear for free and you can get a new mask and hose every 6 months.

Like Rainie said, keep the mask clean. I wipe my mask down inside and out every night before bed time with alcohol wipes. Also, the filters they give you are not worth the effort, they let too much dust through. I cut a square of blue shop towel (from Walmart) and snap the little air inlet window over it and since they're a tighter weave than paper towels they stop 100% of any dust that might get in other wise.

Once a week I take the mask apart and soak it, the hose, and water dish in warm bleach water with a little dish soap solution for 30 minutes.

Don't be bummed out, be glad they caught it in time.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

I'm confused, need an answer

Thanks, Brett.

BTW, if anyone is wondering, that's not the real me in my avatar picture.