Comments By Phishtech

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0457308001537796781-79382.jpg avatar
  • Phishtech
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Need a job, come to TEXAS.......

ODESSA, TEXAS (Reuters) - Job fairs are stocked with people hungry for better opportunities, but inside the MCM Grande Hotel in Odessa, Texas, oil services giant Halliburton is the one doing the wooing.

“We need to hire you is our message,” said Chris Redman, a field services manager with Summit ESP, which Halliburton acquired last year.

More than 500 men and women flocked to the hotel in Odessa, Texas, on a Thursday last month to be courted by Halliburton, which needs people to handle everything from oilfield technicians to truck drivers, as oil production booms and qualified workers become more scarce.

The U.S. unemployment rate is 3.9 percent, just off an 18-year low, but job growth has slowed more recently - notably because companies are having trouble finding people.

That is particularly true in the oilfields of West Texas, where workers from local towns like Midland and Odessa have flocked to the oil industry for higher pay. According to a June Dallas Federal Reserve Bank survey of 60 oil executives operating in West Texas, more than half cited difficulty finding workers as a potential drag on growth.

Halliburton, the second largest provider of oilfield services after Schlumberger, is adding more than 175 jobs a month, hiring executives say. Redman said people with commercial drivers' licenses are in particular demand, but numerous attendees at the jobs fair do not have that license.

Janice Venables, 57, drove out to West Texas from Mississippi a month ago, after being laid off from Mississippi Power last year. She is applying for two jobs with Halliburton, but says she has applied for as many as 26 other oilfield jobs.

“I don’t care where I go. I just need a job, and I’ve heard the wages are good,” said Venables. She lives in a recreational vehicle with her dog and cat, does not have a commercial driver's license, but has started the process to enroll in a commercial driving class this fall.

Kenneth McGowan, 21, drove 12 hours from Mississippi with five friends, some just above the legal age to work for Halliburton, to apply for oilfield jobs.

Like many in attendance, they heard about the fair through a Facebook advertisement. McGowan, who works as a stocker at a Walmart, hopes to find a job providing cementing services for wells.

“I’m not worried about the long hours,” said McGowan, who is supporting a 3-year-old daughter. He does not have a commercial driver's license, but said he is prepared to get one if needed.

McGowan and his friends are not the only job hopefuls to make the trek from Mississippi, where employment in June was 4.7 percent, one of the highest levels in the United States, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The rush to apply for commercial drivers' licenses comes as demand for truck drivers, in the oil industry and elsewhere, has driven up wages for anyone with the license.

Frank Hardin of Tennessee, who previously drove trucks delivering sand with Amerifield Inc, said he recently landed a job as a driver CIG Logistics.

Instead of getting paid per load delivered, he now has a salaried position with CIG, which starts workers at as much as $85,000 with full benefits. Hardin welcomes the change.

“That’s what everyone wants. It’s a cakewalk for guys who’ve been on the road for years,” he said.

Posted:  10 months, 4 weeks ago

Well, it finally happened.......

At Schneider's HQ in Green Bay, Wisconsin, someone dropped the ball and quit using Houston Community College as their go-to training school for this area because they checked on-line and found it took 6 - 8 weeks after completion to schedule a road test at any DPS location. They didn't check with the college and see that they were certified to give the road test on campus.

So I put a bug in my GB recruiter's ear and informed her of the facts.

Got a call from GB yesterday and they had set me up to start school next Monday. I'm on my way!!! WoooooHooooo!

Posted:  11 months ago

A lesson in patience, Brooklyn, and Chinese takee-outee moped delivery.

That's exactly why I live in the South!!

Posted:  11 months ago

WHAT A GREAT BIG BUMMER !!!

Thanks to all for the advice. After Yuuyo said what he did I called the HCC truck driving school and sure enough they DO give you your driving test on-campus. Makes me wonder why Schneider would drop them with the excuse that it takes too long to do the road test ??

Anyway, I still need to be trained to drive a big rig before I test out, so it looks like I'll sign up with HCC for the August 9 start date and let Schneider pay me back. I'll also be looking at other local carriers now.

Posted:  11 months ago

WHAT A GREAT BIG BUMMER !!!

Unfortunately, Schneider has stopped using HCC for their training. I suppose I could pay for it myself and Schneider could reimburse me.

Thanks for the help.

Posted:  11 months ago

WHAT A GREAT BIG BUMMER !!!

As some of you know, I've been waiting for Schneider to give me the go-ahead to start school at a local community college about 10 minutes from my house.

Schneider HQ called today to say it's a no-go because after completing the school it takes 6-8 weeks to get in to DPS for the road test. I have to say I can believe it since Houston is a MAJOR transportation hub. They offered to send me to Minnesota for a faster turn-a-round. I'd have to pay for meals and personals and they don't pay during training.

Did a web search and there are plenty of small towns within 150 miles of here that would be easy to get in for the test, but that's probably not an option.

Any suggestions someone can throw at me? Other local companies would have the same problem.

Posted:  11 months ago

All that studying and the test only had 20 questions

Been studying here on TT, doing the practice tests over and over to get ready for the TEXAS Class A combination exam.

Finally got into the DPS office today and the test only had 20 questions, go figger. I actually think they don't want anyone to fail.

What was weird is that I only recognized 6 questions from the TT tests that I studied, the rest were worded to imply some event that might happen while driving and you had to figure out what best to do to mitigate it. I only missed 3 and now am waiting for Schneider to tell me when to show up for their school.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

I'm confused, need an answer

Phishtech, I had a guy go through my permit class a week or so ago. He was a 20 year city bus driver (with air brakes), so by taking the Combination Vehicle test, all 20 questions, he got his CDL-A permit and stepped over to the CDL school.

You should have no problem.

And no, that's not me in my avatar either.

I kinda figured you weren't that handsome.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

I'm confused, need an answer

That's a great idea!!

My dad was born in Nacogdoches way back in 1900. I've spent many a day on Sam Rayburn catching White Perch and bass. He's gone now and I really miss those days.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

I'm confused, need an answer

Yes, all the school busses I drive have air brakes.

Schneider wants to hire me and I was a little confused about how to make my B class license into an A class. Brett put me on the right path.

The biggest problem I'm having is getting into a Texas DPS office. The Houston area is BOOMING BIG TIME and so many people are gravitating to this area because of the abundance of jobs. I tried 3 times this week to get in, once I showed up an hour before they open only to find about a hundred people already waiting to get in the door. The DPS super centers are even worse.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Sleep Apnea

I dearly love my cpap machine. I don't even know I have the mask on at night and my whole life changed for the better when I started getting a REAL nights sleep.

If you are a military veteran the VA will hook you up with a machine and all the gear for free and you can get a new mask and hose every 6 months.

Like Rainie said, keep the mask clean. I wipe my mask down inside and out every night before bed time with alcohol wipes. Also, the filters they give you are not worth the effort, they let too much dust through. I cut a square of blue shop towel (from Walmart) and snap the little air inlet window over it and since they're a tighter weave than paper towels they stop 100% of any dust that might get in other wise.

Once a week I take the mask apart and soak it, the hose, and water dish in warm bleach water with a little dish soap solution for 30 minutes.

Don't be bummed out, be glad they caught it in time.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

I'm confused, need an answer

Thanks, Brett.

BTW, if anyone is wondering, that's not the real me in my avatar picture.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

I'm confused, need an answer

OK, I already have a CDL with a Passenger and School Bus endorsement.

What do I have to do to make it a class A so I can drive a truck?

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Chafing while driving long hauls

Hmmmmm, maybe you could shave your butt and uh, whatever else that needs to be shaved.

I'm not kidding, I do a lot of kayak fishing and you gotta lighten the load so-to-speak to keep from chafing, especially in the summer.

Maybe you could wear bib overalls??

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Finally found the right company

Yes, I agree with all of you, and for everyone's safety I'll prolly go with the Costco dedicated. I can still be home enough and still get enough miles to gain experience if I choose to change to another venue. I'm saying all of this and I'm not even hired on yet (lol).

Thanks for all the wise advice, I'm old enough to take it and learn.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Finally found the right company

Hmmm, that's good advice and I'll have to ask about it next week when I have another sit-down with my recruiter. Since you said what you did about tankers I looked into maybe a dedicated route. One of the big ones for Schneider is a Costco dedicated that runs from Houston to Louisiana, parts of TEXAS, Oklahoma, and Kansas. One of the things I like about Schneider is an inexperienced driver can get a $7500 sign-on bonus. Not bad for a rookie.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Finally found the right company

Been studying the web site here, checking out different carriers, research and more research, and I finally got the perfect one.......I hope.

At 72 years old I didn't really want to go out of state to one of the schools, the wife can't handle everything by herself for that long of a period of time. I got an invite from Schneider Trucking to sit down with their recruiter on Monday morning. Their place was about 5 miles from the house. Had about a 3 hour talk and found out they did their training locally (within 2 miles of my house !!) He sold me on regional tankers because they haul non-hazard material and I'd be home every weekend. Offered me 40 cpm to start and they're even going to pay for my school training which will be about a 30 minute drive from the house. Unload the truck, drive back empty cause they clean their own tanks, no one else allowed, same pay while driving empty. I still have to pass the pre-hire physical test but I should be OK on that. So far I'm really pleased except I think their medical insurance is a little high. Gonna give it a shot, seems like a win - win for me. Their region is the bottom eastern quarter of the U.S., no NE or central.

Please feel free to give me your opinions before I sign on the dotted line......and thanks.

Posted:  1 year ago

Need help getting started

Hello, everyone. Newbie here who lives SE of Houston in Deer Park. Been driving a school bus for 5 years now but need to change careers. I'm 72 years old and semi-retired. My son drives a reefer for Maverick and said I should try them, recommending I also try for a reefer job because of my age. He warned me that at my age the irregular sleep patterns might be a problem for me. Maverick turned me down saying I was out of their hiring zone, so I'm wondering if someone here can point me in the direction of a good company in this area where I could get a job driving a regional refrigerated route.

Still studying for my permit and should be taking the test soon. I know, you're wondering why I want to keep working at 72.....I can't help myself, I need to stay busy, I can't get used to not having a job and having something to do every day. I like to work.

Thanks, Robert Yarbrough