Comments By Spaceman Spiff

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0359126001533620957-80117.jpg avatar

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Prime Flatbed; Springfield, Missouri; Spring 2020

Particularly enjoyed the adverse approaches to problem solving between the trainer's actions and Rob's inner monologue. Keep turning those miles and soon you'll just talk to yourself like the rest of us.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Scale question

I was under the impression that APU exemptions don't exist anymore?

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed Variety

2,100 lbs. Wish me luck.

0531914001591473619.jpg

Strap life

0270644001591473660.jpg0369103001591473697.jpg

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Shut down survey

1.) Truck stops. Mainly for showers but I rely on coffee to much and it never comes out right from the microwave.

2.) Loves if I can. Parking lots are a bit smaller but they have mechanics, always seem friendly and helpful, showers feel the cleanest and their fresh ground house blend is the right kind of buzz, almost like Chick fil A Thrive coffee.

3.) I try not to shut down at shipper or receiver. Mainly due to no coffee. But it means I failed in my daily goal. I try to offload in am, load same day and get down the line a bit before evening. I've found one or two places that have employee showers that I can crash after a short walk through a cool factory.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

FM relationships

Feels like nothing but net from the three point line

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucker Expenses have to pay ?

Yeah it is just a .PDF emailed to you after you get off the scale. Seriously convenient and no one has to yell through the speaker to each other.

It did fail once at the TA in Ontario CA, but for the most part I would advise anyone reading to line that app up ASAP

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime tnt

Something to discuss with the fleet manager then. Tell them directly you would rather wait without pay. I'll be curious to know what they would do if it means your trainer can get another trainee and keep rolling so the freight can keep moving.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed Variety

Delicious red onions

0414783001590117811.jpg

I ran those cross straps through the pallet after taking these tho

0107419001590117887.jpg0070690001590117931.jpg

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime tnt

It seems to vary but consider this. I spent almost two weeks in the Campus inn not getting paid waiting to upgrade. Eventually me and two other drivers were handed keys to a rental car and drove to Pittston to get our tractors.

If it's bonkers at least it's paid bonkers. Definitely ask what time frame you are looking at tomorrow or soon. Getting some solo time will be awesome once you are in your own truck. Eye on the prize

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

General trucking career questions

My example... Live in a tiny house in the suburbs of San Diego. Before I left, I drove around the secondary and primary streets in my area looking for other trucks. I found three areas clear of signs, private entrances, etc and photographed them.

When I ask for home time, I let the dispatcher know about two weeks before I need to be there. I can do this from anywhere in the country because they have time to work me back to the socal area now.

Usually I don't get into San Diego directly, but they put me in the LA or San Bernardino county area. Then I can drive the truck and trailer all the way south. No cost to me.

I unhitch the trailer on the curbside in front of a storage facility on a main road that has a clearly marked parking lane. There are usually two other trucks there. I purchased a kingpin lock and lock it in. Then I drive the mile or so back to my house and just ease the truck back onto my tiny driveway.

If I'm visiting family on the east coast, I will get unloaded either NC or the DC area usually. Family is in the Roanoke area so I will drive from Raleigh or northern VA. Park the trailer at a warehouse my dad used to work for and apply the kingpin lock. Drive tractor to my parents house and park on the lawn.

The company will help you , just give notice early, not last minute.

And you're right, some folks get rid of their apartment and do a year in their truck or longer to stack cash. Maybe a storage facility to park your car in is an idea?

If you're in apartments, you'll have to find nearby street parking and make sure its clear of no parking signs etc.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Flatbed Freight Forecast

Gotta say, I've been busier in the last four weeks than on average.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Whats the best starting company for someone in Utah?

Bippity bump.

But seriously this isn't Reddit.

Super awesome company paid CDL training is whoever takes you on to run their freight. Swift, FEDEX, TMC, Rhoel, doesn't really matter.

What matters is the effort you put into it.

Utah is great because of the industrial expansion constantly happening.

Apply to all the companies you can.

Posted:  3 months ago

Finally finished driver training

My friend just had a student upgrade early. He delivered his first solo load today. Check your truck thoroughly and report any issues. If you're in Joplin, go to the tractor shop and get fluids, oil, washer, and coolant. Get fuses and Velcro as well. Make sure you have 4 straps, broom, lock, nail puller, and fifth wheel puller. Good luck to you.

What is a fifth wheel puller?

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Truck Stop Follies and Assorted Stupidity

Got one!

Driving on 40 in NC. Trucker pulls up next to me and starts waving and honking. He has no CB and trying to talk with the windows down is just too loud.

I figured this guy was signaling that something on the load had come undone or something of that nature and waved back "thanks" as I began easing off to a wide shoulder. Much to my surprise, he begins slowing and pulling off in front of me. Now I'm worried something bounced off and smacked his truck?

I hop out and begin his way while he gets out and...begins opening the cargo doors on the trailer. Curiously I wander closer, eager to see the black market discounts I may have offered to me today.

He shows me pallets of the Truly hard Seltzer drinks stacked up two by two with air bags in between and explains he has no fastening system for rearward motion. He can't get a hold of his company and has been trying to flag down random flatbedders for further ideas.

So I'm looking and not seeing much as far as ratchet equipment, all the hooks are too large or mishapped to fit any of the slotted frame. I laughed to myself thinking this is the first time I've ever looked inside a dry van.

He asks me for some bungee straps and I told him there's no way those would do anything except lighten my truck a few ounces after I gave them to him. Then I just casually asked why his company never gave him load locks.

The lightbulb lit up and his eyes went wide. He suddenly returned with a pair of nice load locks and slapped them into place. I just...watched at that point, still a bit shocked.

Turns out he was a flatbedder before and just forgot.

Imagine flailing your arms at trucks for a while, trying to get them to pull over, then showing them the problem only to realize you just completely forgot about the only pieces of gear on your truck for rearward securement.

About 20 miles later I passed a load lock in the middle of the highway. Hope that kid made it to wherever.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Truck Stop Follies and Assorted Stupidity

I'm starting a new thread dealing with idiotic, preventable things you may have seen occur at truck stops, rest areas, or shippers/receivers.

Backing fiascos, stand-offs, loads that shifted, bridges that were too low (or trucks that were too tall), etc. G-Town constantly stresses, "Watch Your Wagon!", and I always say, "Don't make it onto the TV news."

Post any pictures and the story behind it.

I will start with this backing fiasco from last week. This was in Texas at a truck stop. The culprit was attempting to back in, got his setup wrong, and clobbered this poor guy hard when then the trailer swung around. The victim was parked, taking a break when this went down. He was towed away after dark.

0510004001588767962.jpg0170280001588768015.jpg

I would have guessed he drove straight into that cab, holy hell.

Great thread idea.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Dead man's pass

Thanks ! Can't wait to slide west again, back into some mountains and drier air like you're in.

Hope you get a chance to check out the dark sky tonight, debris of Haley's comet should be a good show all this week.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Dead man's pass

Ha, yeah my little 1/4 threader but no air tools yet. Have connections and all but I think I can get away with electric for the majority of the tasks needed.

Currently the trailer is jacked up on one side so he can fanangle out the airbag correctly (maybe?). I'll be building my own mud flap at the TA Carlisle PA after this.

Looking forward to Lombardi's truck stop on 95 in Jersey tomorrow if anyone else is sliding in there for a 10! Maybe not a great place to hike like OP is doing today but I'll get a few good pics of the skyline or something.

0104431001588541963.jpg

Old school is right again. All part of the game, so find that silver lining whenever you can!

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Dead man's pass

Ugh the techs impact wrench just FELL APART, killing me smalls...

0166587001588540676.jpg

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Cat Scales

It amazes me that I've never seen a photo of someone putting a cat on a cat scale and taking a picture.

Also, if you haven't downloaded the cat scale app, do it today. This is so easy and is emailed instantly to you. Don't have to park and run in or even push the button. Highly recommended.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Dead man's pass

Ugh your poor teeth and kidneys.

But good on you making your own adventure! Oregon is great this time of year. I'm in PA on side of road waiting for a tire and air bag replacement. Gotta make New York City tomorrow with only 6 hours on my 70.

Although a hike would make me all sweaty and nasty...I guess pros and cons to each situation.