Comments By Spaceman Spiff

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0359126001533620957-80117.jpg avatar

Posted:  3 months ago

Flatbed Variety

That is too cool, I always wondered if it was a crane or some raised dock system that got those trailers on like that.

0842769001571368549.jpg

Here's a pair of elevators going to the University of Utah area for new construction installation.

Posted:  3 months ago

Maintenance Times on different fifth wheels

Tim...Todd?

Posted:  3 months ago

On food storage ideas for when you go solo

Hello all, Many of us use these on the railroad. Just put container of food in, plug it in and let it go for hours. Will reheat food, cook frozen meals, and cook meat from raw to ready to eat. Just an idea that doesn't take up much space. https://myhotlogic.com/hot-logic-mini/

Thanks Grit, that looks really cool, may have to send for one.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

On food storage ideas for when you go solo

Susan you have the sat tv too. I forgot that I'm adding a small TV soon as well, going to have to get creative.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Off to Prime to Start Training

No worries, 99 percent of drivers out here are very friendly and accommodating. Just keep your ears and eyes open and try to learn the CDL portion at first, not the entire job/industry.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

On food storage ideas for when you go solo

That Foreman grill seems space friendly. I should consider that.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

On food storage ideas for when you go solo

This was the truck I did PSD in. This is from the pride and polish event Prime does every year. You can find it on YouTube , it's Prime pride and polish 2019, minute mark 21:30.

He built out a lot of space maximizing equipment and containers. Up in the top bunk there is a shelf system for his students gear. Nifty ideas but way beyond my skill set.

No that is not champagne.

0898354001570919507.jpg0762093001570919522.jpg0301671001570919539.jpg0995218001570919552.jpg

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

On food storage ideas for when you go solo

I do sometimes wish we could find the motivation well to cook, but it's just daunting to find a place to store the appliances and clean them etc at this point. Plus the last time I made a stew in the Crock-Pot, I ended up eating it in one sitting watching Archer. Not my proudest moment upon realizing the Tupperware was going back on the shelf, MT.

For those that cook, what's your regimen? Laying a skillet on the engine block for some eggs and ham? When do you have the energy? The cleaning time? My PSD trainer had a pack of baby wipes as his kitchen sink. Bleh.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

On food storage ideas for when you go solo

Yeah that aged yogurt punishes you for making that mistake. Same goes for the forgotten chicken.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

On food storage ideas for when you go solo

Hi all

It's been six months give or take a week since I left for Prime's training program. Naturally I have learned a few things about trucking in that time but I'd like to show some things on my truck for the prospectives that are curious for storing food.

Originally I had illusions of being motivated enough to cook and use recipes and ideas from this site out on the road. In short time I learned this motivation was not making an appearance and have decided to embrace that fact by adhering to my current dietary choices: if it's not on the truck, I can't eat it.

While I'm not capable of clean eating exactly, I've tried to limit myself to light indulgences when the urge strikes on a particularly long day, i.e. chocolate with almonds instead of a pint of Ben and Jerry's.

My truck is a 2018 cascadia, with what I believe is a Freightliner refrigerator mounted to the deck under the carpeted area (strange I know).

0380088001570905930.jpg

Here's the fridge with junk drawer built in top.

0627275001570905990.jpg

Inside I've stowed 2 bags of apples, bag of carrots, bag of grapes, yogurt, a roasted chicken and 5 wrap style sandwiches. The freezer is tiny and I have 3 bags microwaveable veggies and a secret chocolate bar for previously mentioned bad days.

0695276001570906140.jpg0161426001570906189.jpg0024931001570906243.jpg0301857001570906294.jpg

I carry 4 gallons of potable water in 2 separate containers, one for backup drinking water and tea, another for washing hands or whatever. I live on sparkling water and carry close to 100 lbs in at a time when I hit a Wal Mart.

0136175001570906422.jpg

The cupboard has various canned goods in case I get stuck somewhere, very necessary for the upcoming winter months I think. I also keep popcorn for similar reason.

0237254001570906549.jpg

Ok, so I'm cleaning the truck now during my 34 here in Carlin NV off I 80. That's gonna keep me in a prepared mode for the week ahead, knowing I'm clean and stocked for the road. Got a Monday morning delivery in down town San Francisco.

What kinds of things do you stow in your truck?

0266777001570906757.jpg

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Complete truck driver's packing list. Did I leave anything out ?

Amazon cheese sounds suspicious...

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Trucking Statistics

Thanks Britt smile.gif

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Delivery to New Construction Sites; Don't Search Google Maps

Ditto to turtle. Not sure what our parameters are and I always try to find out first.

My first route was from salt lake City to Seattle. My trainer locked all the GPS to the address and it came up as routing us north 15 to 90 west through south Washington state. Trainer said eff that, jubitz has a sweet deal for st Patrick's day meal. So we drove along the beautiful Columbia River between Oregon and Washington, stayed in Portland then up to Seattle. This is about 100 mile detour. So I guess the minimum threshold for having a problem is over 100 miles?

Rob, I gotta tell you, I really thought I'd have seen a cell phone leaving a truck window at rapid velocity by now.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Delivery to New Construction Sites; Don't Search Google Maps

My company (Prime) has a lockout on the app and my Qualcomm while driving so I have taken to pre programming a "Delivery" contact in my phone. Each time I get a load, part of the trip plan is re programming the delivery number there. This way, if I get the two lane road with no sides like you mentioned, or I am unsuccessful in getting a person to answer until I am close, I don't have to also block traffic or panic looking for an accessible stopping point just to call again.

Most trucks in Prime are 2018 or newer and have all kinds of connection you will sync your device with. The downside is if said device wants to link with all smart devices (GPS, radio, smart watch, etc), you end up yelling at lots of inanimate objects like a lunatic when they try to steal the mic connection from each other when the phone rings.

Past that, slow is the correct speed and try to find a safe parking area the day before that is nearby in case you really can't find access or the site itself. No one likes driving around your big blinking butt in the wee hours of the morning (no experience with that or anything).

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Preparing For Cdl School

Cheers and safe travels

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Setup

A trailer smile.gif

Posted:  4 months ago

My Truck Has Been Sold...What!?

Still at the terminal? Want to see your new truck!

Posted:  4 months ago

In Sprimo tonight

Short delivery about ten minutes from there Prime terminal in Springfield. Training pad looks good with the re paint. Anyone training in it today?

Posted:  4 months ago

Thinking About Leaving Schneider

Aww yisss , come to the flat side

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Driving for Prime

I still say bad words going through Atlanta in a four wheeler.

I was through Atlanta couples days ago and only said one or maybe two ugly words.

Atlanta is an hour drive from Atlanta.