Comments By Will H.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0923168001532193236-80493.jpg avatar
  • Will H.
  • 9 months, 1 week ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

VA apprenticeship

Old school. Ya I go to school in New Haven, but I live near Norwich about a hour away. Maybe one of these days I can by you a cup of coffee at the travel center.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

VA apprenticeship

I am embarrassed. I know I should not be, but when I see fellow vets act this way it embarrasses me. I looked at this thread today and was hoping to see some good info on the military apprentice programs. Instead I found a vet acting like a child.

Even I as a hopeful driver saw the red flags in the OP post. He was wanting the Military apprentice program but didn't want anything to do with Snyder.....who is kinda known for that program since they advertise it in the military magazines,l. All because his school recommended them he said he wanted nothing to do with Snyder.

Next he said that recruiters lie to people and inferred that his Army Recruiter had lied to him. Over my 20 yr active duty military experience I huard this BS a thousand times. When you ask the guy who is making the claim you find that the person made assumptions or took an answer of "will some people dont end up in the middle east but...." and they decided that means that they are never going to deploy, or other nonsense. They hear what they want to hear.

Lastly if OP doesn't think that 15 years of experience in a career is enough to give advice or training than what did you do when your NCOs with 4 years of experience told you how to do something? If you came to me with that Attitude while we were active duty I would have made sure you had plenty of training......

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

First week finished

Man, that sounds brutal. Glad you made it through and kept your job. I'll do my best to learn from your pain, I'm sure my company has a process just like that and I never want to see it.

Rob has a lot of great lessons for us in my honest opinion.

Rob keep at it. Don't let them get you down. Just focus on what you need to do one step at a time and be safe out there buddy.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Living in the cab, what is that like?

While I am not a driver yet, u an a full time RVer. Since we mostly dry camp we don't want to waste a lot of water or fill our tanks cleaning dishes so we use paper plates and then clean everything with the Clorox bleach wipes. Works like a charm and very multi purpose. Just wipe the stuff off with a damp paper towel if you want to get excessive bleach off.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Atlas

I highly recommend a small magnifying glass. I don't need it very often, but grateful that I keep one for the times I've needed it. Pick one up at a Walmart or any truck stop for under 5 bucks. Who needs that gargantuan large print monstrosity lol.

FYI smart phones have magnifying glass apps now.... easy to use and free.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Driving with chains

Once I become a driver, safety is going to be my 1st piroaty I like the park it idea. However I can see some of my 34 hour resets being spent practicing with the chains.

Posted:  7 months ago

Hwy training without living in truck?

Whenever I hear people my age or older complaining about how a lot of younger people are "snow flakes" I always think that they have always been around. And several times a week I am proven that I was correct. This posting is yet more evidence. I really hope OP that you find out what you want and what sacrifices that you need to make to reach your goals.

Posted:  7 months ago

Is Parallel Parking Absolutely Mandatory for Texas CDL Skills Test?

Sometimes they make you simulate a breakdown and railroad crossing (with a train coming) too. I was lucky to not be put with those testers so I just had the basic driving and straight line backing and parallel.

So, they have you simulate breaking down on a RR track with a train coming? Why? To see how fast you can get out and run?

Do you get extra points for messing your self?

Posted:  7 months ago

What I thought I knew-well I didn't

Just dust off and remember what they call the person who graduates from medical school with the lowest GPA...doctor.

Posted:  7 months ago

Now that's a long bridge!

Can you imagine how long an accident based traffic jam would be backed up? It would be the first 100+ mile back up

Posted:  7 months ago

Don't Be Fooled By Owner Operator Math - Old School's First Podcast!!

My brother was a O/O working for a high CPM I believe it was 1.60. He thought he was going to be raking it in. He quickly found out that he was just making a bit more than driving a company truck and saw the train wreck that would be down the road. He ended up having to take on a partner and pay him something along the lines of 30 CPM total truck miles for it to work out and have a good exit. I had also twisted his arm to put his self on a CPM pay and to bank to pay for repairs and maintenance.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Learned a valuable lesson today

There is a bad prison joke to be made here. 🤔

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

30 day CPAP use

All I can say is that my CPAP machine changed my life. I get restful sleep now and have tons more energy during the day. Plus not using one if you have sleep apnea could hurt your health and even kill you. If the doctor says you need one its worth the annoyance and you get used to it fast enough.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

I have 2 minor (personal) at fault accidents and 1 moving violation.

I am not piling on, but for my own info.. I think I read in the hand book that you have 1 month(?) To report an accident even a non commercial one to your employer... or was that just guidelines or did I dream it?

So I take it that's a depends, but you should regardless. And yes I quoted myself.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

I have 2 minor (personal) at fault accidents and 1 moving violation.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Hello, I need help finding cdl Training. [request from a very obnoxious dude]

Funniest/saddest part is that he was too good for certain companies.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Truck Stop.Parking!!!

I was just goofing I figured it was something that was over my head 😀

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Truck Stop.Parking!!!

UH? Did I just have a stroke or do you need some rack time?

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Hello, I need help finding cdl Training. [request from a very obnoxious dude]

Its like listening to the guy who says he went to jail for 10 years for not wearing a seat belt....but fails to mention the 20 pounds of drugs in his car and an outstanding warrant for a major crime

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

20 Signs You Might Be A Serious Truck Driver

I am sure he his just goofing....I hope he is goofing.....ok I don't even drive yet and I already know guys that would be a 20 out of 20.