Comments By Will H.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0923168001532193236-80493.jpg avatar
  • Will H.
  • 10 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Got To Get A Sleep Study Done

My CPAP changed my life. It really did. It takes time to get it dialed in and adjust it just right. Even then I would have nights where it would just be a pain in the backside. However overall its worth it.

Also expect to change the mask, head peace, and hoses once a 3-6 months.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Lying Recruiters And The Dirty Lies

Happened again!!! I log on to study and then I get caught up reading threads like this one eating the proverbial pop corn.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Question About Prime's Application Process

I apologize if I missed spoken. He said tankers is needed. It would be nice to also get hazmat as an extra.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Question About Prime's Application Process

Doug. The Recruiter had told me to get my permit while I am waiting. This also includes tanker endorsement and that hazmat would be a good idea too.

Like you I have some things to do first, so I am aiming for April.

I am still shopping around but really at this point everyone else is probably going to be my safety companys. Prime is telling me that for my area they have liquid and regional reefers.

Getting stuck in one region in some ways would suck, but other ways it would be nice to know all the good stopping points in my region, which would be PA to Main. Also since I live dead center of the region (Connecticut) and right off of a major highway I should be able to sneak in an occasional 34 hour reset or even a 10 hr at home.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Question About Prime's Application Process

I applied to them yesterday and had gotten a call today by a Recruiter named Ryan. He told me the 30 day thing also. Maybe your info went awry?

Hopefully we will see each other rather on the trading yard or out one the high wat

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Lying Recruiters And The Dirty Lies

Ar some point just about everyone learns the same life lessons. This one is about looking before you leap coupled with learning the sub text of words given by recruiters and salespeople.

Just yesterday I had spoken to a Recruiter who had told me I could earn 1-1.5K a week and home every weekend and sometimes nightly since their yard is so close to my home. Since this seemed above the norm I had ask around and on this site. On reflection he didn't promise me that much, or told me a CPM with fleet average miles per week. By using words could and might really means eventually I could.

So I sought out advice from people who seems to rather talk me like it is as n not what I want to hear; even if it's in your face akin to tough love. Even with this vast resources of knowledge, I still take with a grain of salt. I take some time and process it to ferret anything that seems incongruent with what I think I know. Normally one of three things happens. One, what I thought I knew isn't based off fact. Either because of bad info, from random people on other sites, or bad assumptions and I re-adjust these facts. Two, it fits and I absorb it. Three: it doesn't fit with what I know as fact, which has not really happened to me yet in this site.

So what I am trying to say is, you are responsible for the information you receive and to truly understand what a salesperson is selling you. You do this by asking questions. The fact that you didn't even know your CPM or how you are going to be compensated tells me you didn't ask or even read your contract. If you did then it wouldn't matter what the recruiter told you, it would be in black and white and simple math would tell you how much you could have expected.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Western Express

Thanks Old School. What you said lined up with my own thinking on this. The Recruiter had remained me of a fast talking used care salesman using words like you can get between x and y, not saying you will or you CAN earn as much as.... not the average noob gets about x.

Thanks guys. I am sure I will be pestering you more later as the speak with more Recruiters.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Western Express

Thanks G-Town. That's what my understanding was too. It seemed a bit too unrealistic for out of the gate.

I am still a little early in the process since I am about 2.5 months out from being freed up to go trucking not a month, but I am gathering info and starting to talk to recurters.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Western Express

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I had spoken to a Recruiter from Western express today.

I have a few questions for Old School (or anyone else), since yous I understand you work/worked for them. The Recruiter had told me that the average starting pay for a noob is 1-1.5K a week with weekends off and I would have to get a CDL on my own first. The question is how realistic is this pay scale? It seems a bit high for a noob like me combined with that work schedule.

Next question is, assuming it is a realistic pay scale, is it worth giving up the extra safety net that gained by company training that the megasite offers? Paying for the school isn't a problem since there is a school not far from my home that I can use my GI Bill for, but I also understand the advantages of company schools.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Packed and ready to head out to Wolding.

Great now I want a Bison Burger and New England isn't the place to find a good/fresh one. 🤨

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

CDL permit wahoo!!!!!

It's like the old joke. What do they call the person who graduates from a medical school with the worst GPA?......Doctor.

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

Packed and ready to head out to Wolding.

Congrats, I graduated from college in March; when should I start applying for paid training? I am thinking in the next few weeks.

Posted:  5 months ago

Military or Government Freight

However using a military retiree id card for business is a major no no. I used to run security at a navy base before I retired from the military.....with that said it does smooth out the occasional hick up....

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Familiarize yourself with your fire extinguisher

1 Report/alert someone 2 Make sure the area is safe for you to fight it.

3 Class A fire. Anything that that turns into ash. Use CO2 bottle with short burst at the base of fire. Class B fire. Fuel fire, cut off source of fuel. Don't use water unless you are jettesting the fuel (probably not an option) CO2 is not meant for this kind of fire just get safely away. Class C. Electrical fire. Turn off the source. Once power is out and there is still a fire than it's now a class A fire. Class D. Burning metal that makes it's own oxygen when burning. I have no idea if a truck would have something like this such as magnesium. Get away and stay away.

After the fire is out then you need to worry about reflash. That is when embers re ignited or the original cause is still present.

This is truncated Navy Shipboard fire fighting that I modified due to a lack of other fire fighting gear such as PKP, AFFF, or Halon.

This is just what I would do, but ofcourse follow the instructions on your bottle and company training.

Posted:  7 months ago

A strong case for much better needed trucker security and the laxing of gun laws nationwide.

Todd... What exactly is the George Zimmerman mentality?

A mind to survive at all costs.

But Zimmerman started the fight got his back side handed to him then he had to go for his gun. So yes Zimmerman did end up having to use deadly force to protect his self in a fight he started.... there are better examples to follow.

Don't let random stories make you think that there is more going on then there really is. Ya it sucks that guy got beaten up but how does that compare to the general population statistically?

Also don't get me wrong I am a big 2nd amendment supporter, it's just I also believe that avoidance is the better way.

Posted:  7 months ago

Trainer using drugs

What???

I think that says it all.

OP please add some info and the last bit was a bit muddled.

Posted:  7 months ago

New per diem laws and affect on lease vs compny

Definitely hire an accountant. But I find this interesting because I am certified to do taxes and about to finish my accounting degree.

Posted:  7 months ago

New per diem laws and affect on lease vs compny

As I understand after reading the IRS rules on per diem is that you need to fill out a detail experience report every so often to be tax free else its taxable....unless there are exceptions for trucking which is possible.

So after re reading the IRS instructions I realized that i had read the old rules which seemed to have had some wiggle room for the expense reporting. The new rules seems a bit confusing at first. 1099 people didn't seem to change too much but the w2 people did. What I can gather is that you can no longer itemize but the per diem stacks on top of the new massive standard deductions increase. Also starting Oct 1 2018 the per diem cap goes up from 63 to 66 per day for transport jobs only.

I will have to wait until the IRS issues the new rules in December to get a better idea since they only have the 2017 rules posted and can really go by other peoples interpretation of the new rules (unless I want to fork out a ton of cash for the books)

Posted:  7 months ago

New per diem laws and affect on lease vs compny

Posted:  7 months ago

VA apprenticeship

It's crazy how some of this treads make a crazy right turn