Comments By Rhino

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0526657001639438554-81674.jpg avatar
  • Rhino
  • Comments:

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Question for my LTL brothers

I think not sure but I think if we start a run n they cancel it they give us a 8 hour mini. I will have to ask on that.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Local jobs??

I work for reddaway. I’d see if their hiring in your area or yrc. They hired me right out of school but that may of just been luck as well. Lol but good place to get experience. Benefits r great to.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Final numbers 2021

Only half way thru my year have another 6 months to go. But 6 months in Im at about 35k.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Driver pay from my perspective

I would kill for our trucks to be governed at 70. Sadly they r at 63. 😭

We've hired a lot of people as well I'm currently 22nd out of 65. 4.5 years ago I was 35 out of 38.

Lucky! I think nearly 3 years ago I started somewhere around 138 or so, maybe even 144, now I'm 133 of 180. They're still hiring like 15 more drivers. It's nice having people below me but I'm not really moving up. These guys that got hired at the beginning of this hiring craze got it made. By the end of their first month or 2 they'd have 20 guys or more below them. Regardless, so far it's kept me from the limited crap weather We've had in our area. Got more trucks coming in March or April which should get me an assigned truck. Mixed feelings about it I really like the Volvos and these new ones are internationals. Most guys that slipseat won't take the 2022 internationals we have cuz they have no power. They've got them neutered so badly to save fuel mileage it's ridiculous. Governed at 70 and it's not uncommon to drop 10-15 mph EMPTY on some of the I80 hills. If I take one I always just set cruise to 63 or 65 so I don't look like a dummy passing everyone just to fall flat on my face on any sort of hill regardless of how much weight I have. Some guys that drive them claim they've been passed by raider express rofl-3.gif

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Off trucking topic - TV shows on the road

Haha joe is my favorite right next to sal!

True life crime like the first 48 or any of those. Or impractical jokers lol. Of course this is in hotel room as I’m in a day cab

OMG ... I LOVE Impractical Jokers too, hahaha! (I'd marry Sal in a prior life, LoL !) (And I'd take down Murr... .haha!)

Good suggestion; they ARE on Y/T, too !

~ Anne ~

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Off trucking topic - TV shows on the road

Posted:  5 months ago

COVID Mandates and trucking companies

My employer hasn’t said anything yet so Im thankful there.

Since my employer is enforcing the COVID 19 mandate, this brings up a question. Are the trucking companies enforcing the Covid19 mandates? Yes, the courts have determined they are unconstitutional and yes, one of the courts (don't remember which Circuit Court) reinstated the mandates; however, I REFUSE to take an experimental EUA jab for anyone! The politics aside, I would like to know if I change professions, will I have to comply with these shots? Thanks folks!

Posted:  5 months ago

Running Doubles

See it now lol

See below.

0975905001640119267.jpg

Posted:  5 months ago

Running Doubles

Ya that’s why I had to ask lol cuz looked like it in the pic.

I only position the dolly in front of the trailing unit, not under it. Then back and attach the lead trailer to the dolly, then push the dolly under the trailing unit.

I thought the same thing as Rino and was going to ask. The picture looks like the dolly is already hooked to the rear which I thought was odd.

Posted:  5 months ago

Running Doubles

Ya but I get paid to wait for the mech lol so it works out. I do carry some easier parts like seals n stuff.

G u guys back your dolly under the trailer first? I put mine in front back the lead trailer in front of that hook dolly to it then push it under the trailer.

I just had a glad hand break on me. The receiving end the metal tab snapped now waiting on a mechanic. Trying to get to Reno gonna be a long night now.

If you had a sleeper cab, you could carry lots of spare parts and the tools to repair your way out of delays.

good-luck.gif

Posted:  5 months ago

Running Doubles

Posted:  5 months ago

Running Doubles

When I was in Denver and slc i never experienced any ice build up on them guess I just got lucky. Luckily I won’t have to deal with that very much as I live in Vegas n we don’t get that cold lol

Is there ever a problem with excessive ice buildup on the lines between the two trailers, ie pulling these apart?

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Running Doubles

I like doing it because I’ll take the pay to do it lol

We have to do our own as well we aren't afraid to break a nail unlike those ABF and YRC drivers. smile.gif

I've called the terminal before if I was running late and asked them to have a spotter or another driver do it.

0010175001639891565.jpg

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Running Doubles

We here at Reddaway hook our own except in Salt Lake City they build sets and trips for us and we just slide under it. I don’t like it. I like to build my own. I prefer doubles and triples over long box. I like the bend in the middle.

Question for Banks and Auggie; do you do your own setups? Or does the spotter/yard jockey do them?

We hook our own sets. I think the only LTL outfit that has sets hooked for drivers is YRC. I prefer to do it myself. Gives me more control over it. It's why I don't like meets. I have to trust someone else's pretrip and a lot of times I'll find things that me question whether that meet driver did a pretrip at all. I've found hooks resting on the dolly instead of in the loop and electrical cords not connected.

0496767001639865378.jpg

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

What an experience!

Lucky u lol but least I ain’t doing it for free lol idk how much I’ll have to do them going to Reno or salt lake

OD doesn't provide them unless required by law. And as far as I know if you need them they don't want you on the road but that maybe different in the rockies.

We don't have them here thankfully so I will never have to deal with them.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

What an experience!

There not bad. I drive a twin screw today n it felt weird lol

I chained by myself today n surprisingly nailed it without having to redo any lol but soon as I put them on and rolled they cleaned the roads and took off the chain requirements. Smh

Single axle day cabs are quite the interesting unit! I do like the rear visibility and the turning. I haven't had one out in midwest weather with a set, but good to know that you had a good first trip!

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

What an experience!

Thanks! Ya that’s true lol i wouldn’t wanna bobtail in that weather in a single axle. I was nervous for a bit, down hills is what spooked me lol

Good job! My first time in snow and ice with a set was interesting I didn't do it in the mountain. Them single axle day cabs do not get much traction lol.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

What an experience!

Well Monday night they had us go to Salt Lake City. Layed over and got a call if I wanted to go to Denver. I said why not will be good money. Going there easy. On way back was different story lol should note I came up with my buddy another driver who was following. We had to stop and chain and go over a hazmat route (the 6) that was a bit scary being my first time driving in snow lol wasn’t bad tho wasn’t like a foot of snow on the road haha. Finally made it and they asked us to go to Denver again tonight. We’ll see what tonight brings

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

My New Gig

I’m not skilled enough to back a Dolly on the back of a trailer so I just use tractor to back it to my trailer

Glad to see you back. How long did it take to get the hang of building the doubles?

About 1 week. Backing the dolly up to the trailing unit was the hardest part. It’s 12’ long and requires minimal steering input. I run 4 sets per night; 2 loads and 2 empties.

Thank you!

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Class B to class A

I had class b as well but I went to a private truck driving school to get my class a. I got hired right out of school ( call it luck I guess) at reddaway (aka yrc,yellow). Check them out they have truck driving schools.

Apply For Paid CDL Training and your application will be sent to numerous companies. Unfortunately your experience with class B basically means nothing when it comes to class A.

A path we don't typically recommend is trying to get on with an LTL carrier. Chances are you'd have to start working the dock and wait for a dock to driver, or driver apprentice position to open up. You could also see if anybody in your area utilizes class A and B vehicles and get them to get you your class A. Most of this advice is location dependent.