Profile For Jason

Jason's Info

GA

Rookie Team Driver

3 months, 2 weeks ago

Jason's Bio

Mid 40's, no kids, no significant other...and no prospects. Doing my time as a trainee and learning to be successful..

Posted:  5 days, 9 hours ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

The ad for leasing was his 2017 W-2 from Prime. Gross pay $328,000. He readily admitted he only took home half....but still! He's been a trucker for only 2.5 years total...all with Prime.

No the issue is Prime acknowledging they screwed up when they refilled his tire fund, and then refused to refill his emergency fund which is substantially less than what he actually lost. (I didn't say he didn't have one). If anyone else had been at fault....host of support folks at Prime would've has his back, but now he's getting cold shoulder.

And you don't make an official request on Qualcomm to talk to the CEO unless you are damn sure of the facts/situation. He's still got 6 mos left on his 3 year lease.

Posted:  5 days, 17 hours ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

I ran into Britton at the Campus Inn week before last; he was waiting for a TNT. He didn’t seemed OK.

My dispatcher wanted an update on my 2nd TNT trainer... I replied “0 of 2”.

At this point I don’t want to see what’s behind door #3... I just this over with! My new trainer isn’t a bad guy at all, but he’s preoccupied, angry, and (I suspect his obsessing over the situation is making him) sick. Three things that make poor trainers.

Prime really screwed him over. He took his truck to Prime Mechanic shop to get the ABS valve on his tractor repaired after it failed and they installed it backwards! [Essentially any braking that would trigger ABS caused all 4 of his service tires on the tractor to lock up completely] A mistake that cost him 3-4 settlements (almost a month of down time). Seems the Peterbilt dealership finally figured it out. Now Prime replaced the tires that were damaged; but down time? So sorry- SOL.

He’s lease...but 3-4 settlements would be bad for anyone; but because he’s lease- he can’t litigate. Prime’s hiding behind the arbitration agreement. Thursday he had me send a QC message to dispatch asking for a sit down with Robert Lowe.

Trainer’s never going to let this go; so he’s short tempered, impatient, and distracted leaving him little time for me. Twice now we show up for a delivery, wide open parking lot, no other trucks or activity nearby, and he’s kicked me out of the drivers seat because he feels nauseous and wants his bed.

I’ve got 10K miles left on my 30K requirement.

Hope Britton and others are doing better.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Certainly. Supposedly handles different, touchy? Different turn radius...backing too. Idk, find out on Friday.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Oops.... He didn’t want to pay while HE was on vacation.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Back at prime1...off truck. Trainer didn’t want to pay while I was on vacation. Got another lined up coming from Fla. Peterbuilt though; only driven Freightliner so far so another learning curve. 17K miles left in TNT.

Thanks for replies.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Heading back to Springfield soon for my permanent license; wonder if PSD staff will tell me if he’s still in the program?

Kinda curious myself; but it’s easy to get involved and think about posting, but never never actually doing it.

I’ve had a tumultuous 2 weeks myself. Worst was leaving my phone in the Shower Room at a Pilot in WI...and not figuring it out until I was in PA. To fix that I arrnaged a prepaid padded envelope sent to the Manager at the pilot who put it back in the mail for me. I opted to send it to my dispatcher vs home. As I mentioned my temp CDL expires soon while going home is not certain. Not the only way to ‘lose’ access to a phone and we rely on it for so much at Prime. Fortunately my trainer still has his for live load calls, etc. Thinking I may need to get a 2nd phone as backup.

(Right now I have a 2nd Verizon hotspot and a iPad without an air card...that’s it. Good for email and surfing, but can’t make calls, etc. The 15GB/mo limit goes on the hotspot disappears in days!)

Saw lots of crashed, rolled, and stranded trucks/trailers along I 90. Been lucky to dodge all of the big storms so far.

As I contemplate a trip home; I was considering my hazmat endorsement. I noticed or more accurately not noticed any hazmat trucks at any of the overnight parking since I started driving. Company driver...OTR...money in miles; but if hazmat is all short, done in a day? Would I be shooting myself in the foot by getting it?

I could see how short high value loads works out for Lease drivers; but company? Thoughts? I’m assuming hazmat would be on par or better than high value loads.

What else... developing a modest antipathy for QualComm; but I did figure out how to report errors! Trainer damaged a trailer this week... $500 deductivle taken out and all because he couldn’t be bothered to get out and look. If my trainer has a fault...it’s arrogance. Expensive reminder he’s not; but he just shrugged it off like no big deal. He’s lease...

Still trying to get swapped. We worked out this smoking thing; but now he planning a 2 week vacation this month...and that’s a long time for me to set at home I didn’t plan for without a paycheck!

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

So how’s PSD phase? Should be heading back to the pad/prep for Test after week or so.

My TNT trainer started great...and then he declared he was going to quit smoking and he wasn’t going to tolerate it from me around the truck. Hmmm....never going to happen. He literally fumigates the truck every time I get in trying to cover the smell that attaches to all smokers. Lol...and then he complains he can’t sleep well because the air is foul.

Sure I need to quit; but this is not the time for it...and to have my trainer try to force the issue? I spoke with his dispatcher already; 99% chance I’m going to swap out next we hit Springfield. I only have temp lisence still so a trip back is certain..and soon. He’s also forcing me to drive only nights. I figured 10 hour shifts...I’d rotate into days eventually; but he’s taking an extra 2-4 hour nap in the mornings before starting his shift (whenever he can).

Win some/lose some. So far MN farthest west; we keep circling the East. Florida was nice...but I packed almost NO ‘Summer’ clothing.

Hope you are doing better.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

I was so focused on air break test missed a few obvious items on in pre-trip. Fortunately not enough to fail. Trifecta and done. Waiting for TNT.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Heard an interesting rumor tonight that might shed some light on the lack of trainers.

Heard this from a guy who finished his TNT over a month ago and opted to stay with his trainer because there aren’t any ‘new’ trucks to be had. Due to some kind of miscommunication there are some 2000+ fewer trucks available for lease this year. Trainees are being offered another $300/week (1000/week gaurunteed) to stick with their trainer as a team driver. There’s no reason to upgrade... there’s no trucks!

OR they could come sit in the hotel for $700/week for a month plus, etc.

Shortage should be rectified in 4-6 weeks. However trainers that are keeping their trainee vs taking new ones... well that’s definintely an X factor fewer available for the rest of us. Couple that with bigger than usual interest in Prime PSD...

Thought I’d share...

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Get as much backing time on the pad as you can. Five days on the road and trainer wont let me do any. Her job is to prep me for passing cdl exam...no more. Not until TNT will i get any practical backing experience. Kinda bummed.

Still plenty of other stuff to pick up. Springfield to Columbus, OH to Salem, VA to Mt Sterling KY and now to GA in last 3 days. Driving backroads through mtns was a bit nerve wracking pulling a full load. Lots of practice using the Jake break.

Hell of a time to hit Atlanta...Superbowl on Sunday...so the nasty traffic will be that much worse!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Enjoy the room while you can, space heater in the truck crapped out last night after we parked in our reserved spot. Woke up 2am with ice forming inside the cab...30F. Freightliners don't idle...ugh, so to use dash heater someone has to pump the accelerator every few min.

Starting to head south today, hopefully last of the negative temps... (-6 w/o wind atm)

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Don’t cram too much....minimum 2 weeks between permit and test attempt.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

20+ hours riding greyhound will test patience of a Saint. Means to an end...doesn't change reality that it sucks.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Stupid DMV...

Argument could be made that Prime’s motto equates to “Hurry up and wait”. You’ll find out soon enough.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

I lucked out. Picked up by a PSD trainer today. Her current trainee is testing tomorrow but we’ll be hitting the road Monday morning. Got some hours on Qualcomm while helping other student review. Learned straight back and L/R offset...and how to fix a botched attempt. Definitely a well defined formula on the pad, curious to see how it works in the field.

There are still 60+ waiting for trainers...some even from class before ours. Impressive really...about 350+ students for first 3 weeks in January.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Hi-Val was first.

One of them mentioned ‘rollover’ as the “unforgivable #5”; but they never spell out what the first 4 are. I image discussing Hi-Val loads is one of them. What the other 3 are is a mystery. I’ll ask one of the Sim people tomorrow.

Patrick- make sure you bring additional contact info for your last employers. HR info specifically if you can get it. At least a handful of us (In my group) got calls from our Recruiters late today that they are having trouble verifying our employment history. !?!?!?!?!

Mind blowing that they have waited so long...I put in my app and paid my fee mid-December! I’m a sim test away from finishing the orientation and now when I have the least resource to assist them... they are asking? Whatever they have asked for; bring extra. What’s good and complete before you get on the bus isn’t really.

I get Rainy’s point of doing things in stages; but getting my last boss to fax Prime an employment verification letter would have been real easy when I was still employed there. Trying to get it less than 8 hours after I’ve already moved on... not so much.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

You are going to have to put your video aspirations on hold and/or heavily censor it. One of the CBT (computer based training) that you have to complete is an agreement that everything Prime shares/teaches is proprietary and meant for only their employees/trainees. Head’s up.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Actually I think there’s some blame at both ends on the background check. “Supposedly” (and I know this b/c he was my room-mate) he was honest about the Felony on his application but his date was off by a few weeks. Well whether it’s 3 years 10 months or 11... it’s still within 5 years. Looks more like Prime Recruiter rushed to fill a seat without getting approval or running the minimal check before giving the guy a bus ticket!

Don’t want to hijack your thread. Looks like they’ll have the Main Lab fixed by next week. They were putting down new carpet today so you’ll have fewer hiccups.

I got my permit and license transferred today and CBT’s are done. Just 2 hour sessions for Sim lab everyday for the rest of the week. No chance of getting to the pad or other until this weekend.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Day 2 about to begin. Lost two people yesterday. Bad background check discovered after he’d made the bus trip (which really sucks by the way... to arrive only to be told to leave) and someone else tried to cheat the drug screen. It’s been a little crazy. Last week major water break forced Prime to relocate the entire hotel for two days. The break was under C4 which is the main computer lab... so we’re all limited to a dozen PC’s for CBT... for 90+ that’s rough. Thankfully a few of us have our own. I managed to get drug test, physical, and file review done. Not everyone was so lucky.

Permit test, CBTs, and Simulation training today. Haven’t met the author of this post yet; not knowingly. I’m in Group 2; D Sim group. (Because C-4 is unavailable...they had to split us up; next biggest classroom only holds 55).

Posted:  2 months ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Getting on the bus late tomorrow; starting Orientation on January 21.

Recruiter created a little crisis today asking about the medical card and my permit (after telling me repeatedly in the past that I have to retest, etc in Sprimo). I got my learners in GA before I applied (to show genuine interest in this path). He seemingly forgot I was headed to MO?!

Not the most audacious start; but he did warn last month that January was going to be 'crazy' busy.