Comments By Jason

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0700602001544278616-83208.jpg avatar
  • Jason
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Enjoy the room while you can, space heater in the truck crapped out last night after we parked in our reserved spot. Woke up 2am with ice forming inside the cab...30F. Freightliners don't idle...ugh, so to use dash heater someone has to pump the accelerator every few min.

Starting to head south today, hopefully last of the negative temps... (-6 w/o wind atm)

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Don’t cram too much....minimum 2 weeks between permit and test attempt.

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

20+ hours riding greyhound will test patience of a Saint. Means to an end...doesn't change reality that it sucks.

Posted:  7 months, 4 weeks ago

Stupid DMV...

Argument could be made that Prime’s motto equates to “Hurry up and wait”. You’ll find out soon enough.

Posted:  7 months, 4 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

I lucked out. Picked up by a PSD trainer today. Her current trainee is testing tomorrow but we’ll be hitting the road Monday morning. Got some hours on Qualcomm while helping other student review. Learned straight back and L/R offset...and how to fix a botched attempt. Definitely a well defined formula on the pad, curious to see how it works in the field.

There are still 60+ waiting for trainers...some even from class before ours. Impressive really...about 350+ students for first 3 weeks in January.

Posted:  8 months ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Hi-Val was first.

One of them mentioned ‘rollover’ as the “unforgivable #5”; but they never spell out what the first 4 are. I image discussing Hi-Val loads is one of them. What the other 3 are is a mystery. I’ll ask one of the Sim people tomorrow.

Patrick- make sure you bring additional contact info for your last employers. HR info specifically if you can get it. At least a handful of us (In my group) got calls from our Recruiters late today that they are having trouble verifying our employment history. !?!?!?!?!

Mind blowing that they have waited so long...I put in my app and paid my fee mid-December! I’m a sim test away from finishing the orientation and now when I have the least resource to assist them... they are asking? Whatever they have asked for; bring extra. What’s good and complete before you get on the bus isn’t really.

I get Rainy’s point of doing things in stages; but getting my last boss to fax Prime an employment verification letter would have been real easy when I was still employed there. Trying to get it less than 8 hours after I’ve already moved on... not so much.

Posted:  8 months ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

You are going to have to put your video aspirations on hold and/or heavily censor it. One of the CBT (computer based training) that you have to complete is an agreement that everything Prime shares/teaches is proprietary and meant for only their employees/trainees. Head’s up.

Posted:  8 months ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Actually I think there’s some blame at both ends on the background check. “Supposedly” (and I know this b/c he was my room-mate) he was honest about the Felony on his application but his date was off by a few weeks. Well whether it’s 3 years 10 months or 11... it’s still within 5 years. Looks more like Prime Recruiter rushed to fill a seat without getting approval or running the minimal check before giving the guy a bus ticket!

Don’t want to hijack your thread. Looks like they’ll have the Main Lab fixed by next week. They were putting down new carpet today so you’ll have fewer hiccups.

I got my permit and license transferred today and CBT’s are done. Just 2 hour sessions for Sim lab everyday for the rest of the week. No chance of getting to the pad or other until this weekend.

Posted:  8 months ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Day 2 about to begin. Lost two people yesterday. Bad background check discovered after he’d made the bus trip (which really sucks by the way... to arrive only to be told to leave) and someone else tried to cheat the drug screen. It’s been a little crazy. Last week major water break forced Prime to relocate the entire hotel for two days. The break was under C4 which is the main computer lab... so we’re all limited to a dozen PC’s for CBT... for 90+ that’s rough. Thankfully a few of us have our own. I managed to get drug test, physical, and file review done. Not everyone was so lucky.

Permit test, CBTs, and Simulation training today. Haven’t met the author of this post yet; not knowingly. I’m in Group 2; D Sim group. (Because C-4 is unavailable...they had to split us up; next biggest classroom only holds 55).

Posted:  8 months ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

Getting on the bus late tomorrow; starting Orientation on January 21.

Recruiter created a little crisis today asking about the medical card and my permit (after telling me repeatedly in the past that I have to retest, etc in Sprimo). I got my learners in GA before I applied (to show genuine interest in this path). He seemingly forgot I was headed to MO?!

Not the most audacious start; but he did warn last month that January was going to be 'crazy' busy.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Supreme Court rules in favor of truckers

Heard the saying "Squeaky wheel gets the grease" or something? Folks cry loud and long enough- someone will throw money at them to shut them up; but then they will NEVER shut up.

Unfortunate fact of life.

A bit off topic; but what DO company's do with all the trucks when they are 3+ years old? I keep hearing/reading about how big carriers keep their fleets current and I assumed that the lease scam was just a way to off load used equipment.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Broke down in SLC UT. 😢

I'm sure there are worse places/locations to get stuck for 4-5 days.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

What are some hobbies you do?

If you like to read; check out https://www.royalroad.com/home otherwise known as Royal Road Legends. It's where new, indie, web novelist posts their stuff for free. Another is fictionpress.com but their search engine isn't as robust.

Soak up a lot of hours this way.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Prime or TMC for someone who is new to trucking.

Spoke with a TMC recruiter briefly; knowing flatbed really wasn't for me but out of curiosity.

They require you to lift 80lbs regularly, easily or something like. If you've worked in an office most of your life and aren't in great physical shape...

Something to keep in mind.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Break in employment - prepping for Paid CDL interview/acceptance.

Yes. Everything i have submitted so far expecting to submit again as they look for differences during the interview. Suppose that's how some get caught lying.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Break in employment - prepping for Paid CDL interview/acceptance.

10 days and counting until I leave for Springfield, MO and Prime Orientation.

I'm starting to put together my travel kit and it's kinda ugly. I'm a tall, big guy- so all my stuff together makes a big package; add in sleeping bag and pillow and ugh!

Do I take the duffel bag with wheels or try to cram it all into two smaller, malleable bags?

Read somewhere I'll have to share bunk space with whatever I take?

Do I need steel-toe boots specifically?

Better to take too much and plan on mailing some of it home?

Is there a locker or storage at the Millinium building for overflow?

Sure there's a list of stuff to bring; but there's reality of how much space that's going to take vs how much I can expect to have...

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

My Prime PSD experience

Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully all my W2's will show up by the first 'break' and I can get my taxes done too!

Trying to get all the distractions covered before I start the big adventure; but there's always something.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

My Prime PSD experience

Have a question for any Prime Driver/Trainer about home-time during training.

My Dentist screwed up an extraction last week, etc... In short doesn't look like they'll be getting my permanent 'bridge' back from the lab until after I've left for training. I've already paid my $100 and locked in a start date for January 21st. Bus leaves on the 19th. I don't want to push that back, but I also have to return to get the bridge installed. I live outside Atlanta, GA.

There's nothing in the documentation/orientation about home time from the first day of Orientation until you Upgrade and get your own truck. That said I'm pretty sure it's going to take 3? months (PSD/TNT) to drive 40K miles? Assume I would get time off when my trainer does...or do trainees go non-stop until the mileage quota is fulfilled?

How does home time work if you don't have your own truck yet...and don't live next to the terminal? Curious.

Posted:  9 months ago

Residency issues.

When i worked oil fields in Gulf of Mexico I was out for weeks/months at a time. Found a college town with student housing rentals. Usually offer a flat fee to rent a room that includes everything for 2-300/month.

Pricier than a mailbox but good enough to get your 'foot' on the door and then downsize.

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Break in employment - prepping for Paid CDL interview/acceptance.

Application cleared. Locking in January 21. Got a month (less with holidays) to get my stuff squared away for a long absence.

Anything in particular I should take that's not on the usual list?