Profile For Smart C.

Smart C.'s Info

3 months ago

Smart C.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 month ago

CRST Exit Oppurtunities???

Smart C said:

Uh, yeah every company has bad reviews and complainers.

Most CRST complaints are about teaming in general from newbies who didnt know what they were getting into, or about the non compete clause of the contract they failed to read before signing. That says more about the drivers than the company.

And sorry, but it took me one search to find 5 poor pay reviews for Millis. So search and ye shall find.

Please enlighten us on how long you sat waiting for loads. Give examples of how your dispatch was incompetent. Oh wait, you CAN'T because you still havent gotten a job yet.

More rumor and baseless assertions with no experience at all. We have experienced CRST drivers on this forum who not only dispute this, but offered to answer any questions you have. Yet, you belittled them by saying "Im still trying Prime because they are a better company". Really??? How would you know? I love Prime but since I never worked for CRST i could not possibly make such an arrogant statement. Not to mention what is good to me is not good to you. the idea of whether a company is good is subjective. Every driver wants different things, so this is an unfair statement.

You have made statements regarding your poor work history including being terminated from a few "meaningless jobs". This is an example of a poor attitude that does not get things done out here.

Sorry, but what you "heard" has as much credibility as someone without a CDL passing judgement on companies that are well established and beloved by many.

28 cents per mile compared to significantly more guaranteed at other companies like Prime and Millis is not subjective. Saying I was fired from a meaningless job (a job not related to trucking "many" years ago) is not having a bad attitude. Obviously (should be) I am not making my own judgements/conclusions based on experience, rather the opinions of those that actually have experience. So no, they are not "baseless assertations". I never belittled anyone concerning CRST vs Prime. I was asked whether or not I was still interested in Prime. I have talked to drivers who have worked at both companies.

Prime is usually proclaimed the better company. Am I not allowed to take this into consideration? My goodness...it doesn't make it an arrogant statement. Same thing with waiting for loads. CRST drivers have said (a lot) they have waited on loads. Prime drivers rejoice about consistent miles (a lot). But I guess I have to ignore that as well because if I don't, *I'M* making a *baseless* assertation?

Posted:  1 month ago

CRST Exit Oppurtunities???

Misunderstanding team pay is also a contributing factor in the bad pay horror stories. If the night driver is cranking out 650 miles a shift, and the day driver is cranking 450 miles, it looks lopsided--until you realize the day driver is not only dealing with traffic, but also bumping twice as many docks as the night person.

Each driver can feel cheated. "All he does is drive all night. He never has to deal with customers, drop and hooks or cranky customers. I even fuel more than him". While the other guy is saying "Come on...450 miles, he is slacking!"

One guy here bashed CRE team pay not realizing all miles are paid and split. No matter how we explained it, he insisted he would only make $750 per week average. And he didnt even work there yet, just bashed!!!

Yes. The split pay for teaming and the misconception that comes with it is a good point. But anytime I hear someone say "If you have bills to pay dont come here" (CRST) , I for the life of me, cannot determine what the pay really is.

Posted:  1 month ago

CRST Exit Oppurtunities???

How concerned are you about the horror stories regarding the pay?

Smart C, there are horror stories about the pay in trucking at every major carrier there is. Who do you think writes these horror stories? Well, let me enlighten you. Those things are written by the very people who have not figured out how to make it as truck drivers. I can think of three people in this forum over the last few years who got started at CRST, and they did very well. You have got to realize that trucking is a performance based business. We get paid based on how much we can accomplish. Unfortunately it is not that easy for new drivers to excel at this, and then when you pair them up with another driver who is a serious slacker, you have a recipe for disaster. There are problems with starting this career as a Team driver. You can't blame those problems on the company or accuse them of not paying well just because you aren't turning the kind of miles that produce nice paychecks. As long as you and your co-driver are getting it done, you will do well. If you can't muster up what it takes, then you will do poorly. Trucking is something that doesn't work out well for a lot of the people who try it.

People are so accustomed to having regular jobs that pay them a certain amount of money for whatever time they spend on the job. It just doesn't work that way in trucking. We get paid for being productive. It is actually a great way to get paid in my opinion, but it sure separates out the pretenders. You will do just fine at CRST if you can prove to be productive. The problem is not only that you are inexperienced, but you add another layer of difficulty onto it by having to join yourself at the hip with another inexperienced driver who can prove to be a big drain on your pay. People have these problems and then all they know to do is blame the company and claim they pay "slave wages." If they were honest with themselves they would figure out what is going on and do what they can to turn things around for themselves. I learned all this stuff while I was rookie driver at Western Express, a company that was always maligned online about how low their pay was. Ha! I made fifty grand my rookie year. There were several people who went through orientation with me who quit before three months had gone by - all of them blamed it on the really low pay they were getting. How can we say the company pays slave wages when I made far more than most rookie drivers do during their rookie year? You will always be the determining factor in your pay. All those people who write those horror stories about their lousy pay must own up to the fact that they didn't produce anywhere near what was necessary to earn a decent wage. That's the harsh truth about trucking. Unfortunately very few people own up to their responsibilities in this matter, it's far too easy to lay the blame on the lousy company. It's a total cop out as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, it's unfair to say there are consistent horror stories for EVERY company. There's no denying that CRST seems to be one of the companys with the MOST negative reviews about pay. You take a company like Millis for example...I haven't seen ONE bad thing said about rookie pay.

You can't prove to be productive if you are sitting for days waiting for loads. Dispatch there is known to be incompetent especially fill in ones. I don't hear this about Swift or USA Truck for other examples. What seems to be consistent at CRST is that hard working, ambitios drivers are willing to get things done and CRST does not give back the way they should.

Posted:  1 month ago

CRST Exit Oppurtunities???

Hi All,

If I end up at CRST, how easy is it to get on with a company where I can become solo OTR? I really don't want to team, however, I'm willing to stick it out for the ten month contract as my options are limited.

Welcome Smart. I am heading to CRST in May. I suppose you might say I have "new man's enthusiasm." I'm not at all ashamed to claim that, in fact, it feels good to get a foot in the door. However I want to ask you, if you don't mind, how come you don't sound very excited to be going there? Maybe I'm wrong, if so please forgive me I mean no disrespect at all. But when you say you're "willing to stick it out..." That doesn't sound very good to me. If this isn't where you want to go, you won't only be unhappy, you will also make others miserable as well. Anyway I hope the best for you and that you will be happy. Perhaps we will meet up someday.

How concerned are you about the horror stories regarding the pay?

THIS WAS MEANT FOR DOUG C...

Posted:  1 month ago

CRST Exit Oppurtunities???

Hi All,

How concerned are you about the horror stories regarding the pay?

Posted:  1 month ago

CRST Exit Oppurtunities???

Hi All,

As others have mentioned, you might wanna look eslewhere. I worked for CRST and did just fine. I spent some time reading about what I was getting into. And it really blew me away to hear everyone talking about how to "get out of the contract" once I was in the facility at Cedar Rapids.

You just rode a bus to get to a job you don't even want? Now... All those people just got trained and were put into trucks with other drivers that want to be there.

Case in point my first codriver drove himself home while I was asleep. He woke me up and I drove myself some place to park and sleep for the rest of my off time.

Now I'm on a team load by myself. Just save yourself some time and money by getting a job you want. Not to mention the same for someone else.

I'm not that kind of person however. I'm not going to drive myself home in the middle of the contract. I said I'm willing to stick it out for 10 months and I'm a man of my word. I'm college educated and plan on going to grad school after trucking. I'm a very disciplined person and feel I'm making the most intelligent decision for my life moving forward. My concern is about what to expect at the end of the 10 months not whether or not I'll make it...because I surely will.

Posted:  1 month ago

CRST Exit Oppurtunities???

Smart c says

That's not what you posted in a different thread a month ago.....you said

Not trying to nitpick but we cant help you if your not honest with us.

I was referring to my LAST THREE YEARS OF EMPLOYMENT (What they told me is all they verify/care about.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

CRST Exit Oppurtunities???

If you don't want to team, I'd highly recommend finding another carrier. We've had lots of disgruntled drivers come in here trying to get out of that contract. There are drivers that are happy there, but teaming is not for everyone. Starting your career with less than a year experience and a couple thousand dollars debt would be a tough hill to climb if you were to bail after signing up. There should be more options available depending on where you are.

I'm prepared to go to CRST because there is no other company I know of that doesn't care about employment history. My employmenthistory isn't terrible (just a lot of jobs, some overlapping, never fired) or anything...I'm just worried about the verification process AFTER ALREADY HAVING TRAVELED TO THE SCHOOL. It's not a risk I want to take. I've considered MILLIS because they check everything out BEFORE you leave. Not sure I'll be able to pay 500 dollars however.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

CRST Exit Oppurtunities???

Hmm.. Interesting, never heard of that part of CRST. Sucks you cant transfer there for Solo before the end of the 10 month contract.

CRST does have a few solo opportunities. They do own Pegasus. Pegasus is solo drivers for the most part.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Career Change and only going to drive for 5 or 6 years - help!

Where do you even meet women while OTR?

Yeah Barry. A big difference. All the single women in your age bracket wherever you work will be after you. Better to lie and say you are married. Seriously, the only difference it makes is to you and your schedule. You can usually choose how long you want to be out if you go over the road. If I wanted to keep going for 2 months because I didn't need to be home, I'm sure my company would be happy with that. So I can't think of a reason being single would be a factor. If there is something, one of the experienced drivers will bring it up.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

CRST Exit Oppurtunities???

Hi All,

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

CRST First 28 days pay??

I'm still going to try Prime as they seem like the far better company.

Smart C. I just read through your previous posts and if ya don’t mind me askin, what happened with Prime?

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

CRST First 28 days pay??

This in a sense is my question that you sort of mentioned. Miles corresponds to pay. If my co driver and myself are willing to run hard and accept any load offered to us, what is the average miles driven in a weeks time? I'm looking to start in February. I know the winter can be slow. Is February at least better than December?

Hi guys,

I've heard very conflicting info on this. I've heard that during the 28 day period following school, you don't even make enough money to be comfortable on the road!

Others have said 400 - 600 a week. Has anyone recently been through this phase at CRST?

Good mornin Smart C. Happy Holidays. 😀I am the Ambassador for CRST here on this site and one of their Lead Drivers. I am most definitely glad to answer any questions you may have about CRST. If you have read a lot of the stuff on this site you will come to find that this industry is completely performance based. Yes there are students that have made that much before during their 28 day time on their Lead Drivers truck. It’s all about the miles. If we get good miles and are willing to run good loads then the pay will be good. If not then it won’t be so good. Where are you at in your trucking journey? Are you just inquiring, have you gone through school yet? If not and you are just in the research stages, then I recommend starting here:

Also make sure after you do those above links if you are still interested in CRST you check out my diary from my experience goin through school with CRST. It hopefully should give ya a good idea about what possibly could happen and what to expect.

Millionmiler24s CRST Diary

Especially check out that 2nd link in the starter package. Brett’s book is an EXCELLENT read and it gives a legendary account to also what could happen in this industry.

Also very important: CRST is a TEAM only company, so take that into account if you really want to join CRST. If you do decide to join up, welcome aboard and we will be glad to have ya. 😀

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

CRST First 28 days pay??

Hi guys,

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Prime' s employment verification/background...being sent home

WHAT DOES IT MATTER WHAT WE SAY? you got responses then you asked again. you asked a recruiter and you dont believe him and dont believe us.

they, like all employment verification will ask "From what dates was he employed and is he hirable again?" aka was he fired?

The paper specifically says "3 years for all nondriving jobs and 10 years for any CDL driving jobs"

What paper? Their site says they want 3 years initially then all 10 once there for EVERYONE. You tell me they're "very tough and selective". So why wouldn't I be skeptical when they tell me they only verify three years?? It's not that I don't believe you or them, however because of a inconsistency, I cant help but be a little confused.

Are they rehireable? What an unfair question. I had a crazy chef I worked for. Busted my ass..had to quit. When I quit, he was very upset because my notice was only a week/he's crazy, always mad, always throwing things. He told me if anyone called he would tell them he wouldn't hire me again. But I wasn't fired, I quit. Hopefully I can give them Hr's direct number and he'll never be contacted. If direct supervisors are contacted, I might be screwed.

Posted:  3 months ago

Prime' s employment verification/background...being sent home

There were a few ppl in my class that got snagged on the work history gaps. They will give you until the following Monday to get it worked out. The big ones is to come clean both in urine and criminal back ground and do not be late for roll calls.

Do you know if the gap was within the first three years or all the way back within the 10 year period? I called Prime. The guy claimed they ask for 10 years employment BUT ONLY VERIFY THE FIRST THREE. Just hope that's not a lie!!

Posted:  3 months ago

Prime' s employment verification/background...being sent home

DO THEY CARE IF YOU'VE BEEN FIRED FROM NON DRIVING JOBS? What do they ask employers when they call? Also it is indeed 10 years at orientation regardless of commercial experience....

Posted:  3 months ago

Prime' s employment verification/background...being sent home

Hi guys, I'm really concerned about a couple things. My past 3 years employment, MVR, etc will surely qualify me for orientation. When they look back at my 10 years however, I'm wondering how heavy a weight that will hold. The biggest (maybe only) issue is that I've been fired from a few meaningless jobs while in college. These were jobs like Jimmy John's, luxury hotel, grocery store. The reasons were mainly atttendance because I was always studying.One job I opened a snack in line before paying....I know. Do they care/ask the employers WHY you left your job? Or are they just seeing if you were really employed? I've never had a commercial driving job.