Profile For Sid V.

Sid V.'s Info

2 months, 2 weeks ago

Sid V.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  4 hours, 54 minutes ago

Moving while out of hours?

If you're asking if it's ok to move when you're out of hours without asking your company, I would say you better make sure you can get over there without triggering the clock.

It's not really that big of a deal if you go .1 miles in violation, but it may mess with the clock. Let's say when they're finished you've went over by 2 hours. Now, if you creep over and accidentally trigger your clock you will have to take a 10 hour break once you get there.

If you go there on PC, since PC is logged in off duty you would only have to take an 8 hour break before you can leave.

Anyways, it's up to you.

Posted:  5 hours, 8 minutes ago

Moving while out of hours?

They changed the personal conveyance law so that you CAN use it empty or loaded. Your company may have its own rules so obviously as them. I linked the faq and they answered it under #6.

Posted:  5 hours, 27 minutes ago

Springfield, IL Walmart Bans Trucks Entirely After City Issues $50k In Fines!

The funny thing is Springfield is the Capital, so to get anything done with your cdl it goes through Springfield and a lot of it you have to show up in person.

I had to go renew my plates for my truck a couple months ago, drop my trailer at the nearest truck stop and bobtail into the heart of downtown. I was waiting for the police to gun me down.

Posted:  4 days, 23 hours ago

Seeking advice regarding first purchase of truck

Hi red,

Hrm,

I would recommend buying a truck with a warranty on it instead of gambling on an older one.

I would say one of the most important thing is how much you have in your savings after you buy the truck.

Posted:  5 days, 6 hours ago

Intro to O/O Health Advice

I get my health insurance through the obamacare marketplace. I pay over 400/ mo for health and dental.

It is definitely a huge expense for o/o that needs to be accounted for in the rates you charge.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Can you be an actual owner/operator at Prime?

OS, i didn't say anything about forced dispatch. I said if i only used one load board and there was only one load available within 200miles and it was a 45k beer load going I've mountains, i would take it.

That's pretty sweet that you have that kind of relationship with your dispatcher. I was just glad my old dispatcher picked up the phone when i called, lol.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Can you be an actual owner/operator at Prime?

I'm a second year o/o running under my own authority.

The problem with buying your own truck and bringing it to a carrier is you are relying on them too much. You are relying on them to have enough freight, keep you rolling, to pay high enough rates, to dispatch you properly, not to mention the legal stuff, permits, yearly fees, plates, plus you have to abide by their rules.

The less you rely on other people the more control you have, and more if a chance you will have to succeed.

For instance, i use 7 different load boards, and from then i can find maybe 1 or 2 loads i want to take. If i just used one companies board id probably be forced to take loads that i didn't want and if you're being put in that situation you might as well just be a company driver.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Clock Management and 34 hr resets

Chuck, so you're saying you want to drive 7 days/ 365?

The way i look at the 34 reset, is when before i drove i worked at a place that offered their employees four (ten hour days) instead of five (8 hour days) and almost everyone took the four day with week, as did i.

If you're primary reason is to make money and get rich in trucking i think you're in the wrong profession. That's my opinion at least.

I have personally spun this web every way possible, and the bottom line comes to this... if you run 10+ hours a day consistently, and sit it out doing a reset, are you available to go pick up a load during a reset?

Can you legally drive anywhere to position yourself for a load during that reset?

If your driver manager calls and tells you he has a load for you a couple of hours away from where you are, but you are doing a reset, can you tell him you can head that way to be ready for the load?

People have responded to my post that I am wrong giving advice that I am about to give again on HOS.

My response to them... if you want to set somewhere for 34 hours and play video games...KNOCK YOURSELF OUT

if you want to make money and work everyday you are away from home ... don't work more then 8 to 9 hours on line 3 and 4 on any given day.

These truck companies will not wait for you to do your reset. They will find the next available truck to pick up that load. So if you are sitting in Wichita, Kansas waiting for someone to call you and tell you there's a load available, do you want to be that driver who has to say... sorry I am stuck here doing my reset ...

seriously ... you can work everyday and never take a day off and never need to be that driver who has to say ... sorry I can't get that load cause I can't manage my hours well enough so I can be available for that next load...

if you average 8.5 hours of line 3 and 4 every day you can work every day without taking a day off ... do the math

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Clock Management and 34 hr resets

I would see if you can use personal conveyance time to go do laundry, shower, get food, etc. That's what it's for and that time is all off duty so it won't mess with your reset.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Would you have stopped sooner?

I'm a little confused. You're going 620 miles on your trip. Did they give you enough time for a 10 hour break? If not then you just go with it, nothing you can do.

If there is time for a 10 hour break i would have tried to go through atl at around 1 or 2am. You lose so much time there. I would stop at a t/s before atl, and figured my clock out, split my break if i had to.

Cutting it that close is too stressful for me, but hey, I'm old. Lol.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Insurance for new DOT

That seems really high, but maybe it's because you're 25. Mine was 6k first year and I had 2 yrs of exp with an accident.

You should have got insurance before you bought the truck. I don't even know how they let drive it off the lot without it.

I use pro guard out of Inverness, Illinois. You can give them a try but they're probably just as high as everyone else.

Posted:  1 month ago

Brakes

Make sure your trailer hand brake lever isn't stuck. Mine for stuck once and burned up the brakes.

Posted:  1 month ago

MAJOR Changes with me but definitely for the better.....:

I never thought about giving the extra safety speech to females but one night I walked with a student to a truck stop and we cut behind the shop and it was dark and she made a comment that she would not have gone that way unless s someone was walking with her.

So just the fact that it made her uneasy really opened my eyes about extra safety p precautions. I know they've heard it a million times but I still said it.

A weapon Sid?

Like what kind of a weapon? Firearms are prohibited by most of the carriers we work for (in this caseCRST) and the shippers & receivers we frequent.

Posted:  1 month ago

MAJOR Changes with me but definitely for the better.....:

Wow, congrats.

I've trained a mix of males and females and here's some advice I could give.

Get there bucket/plastic bag ready for makeshift toilet.

You always have to keep bathroom locations in mind because females can't just jump out of the truck and go behind the tractor. So, if you're going into big cities like Baltimore or Chicago where there's not a lot of truck stops make sure they're all set before you go into the city.

Also, when they get up from their breaks be sure to be close to a bathroom. But it did that with males and females.

I always had to give extra emphasis on safety like not walking in dark places, always have a weapon... That kind of stuff.

I always showered everyday or every other day so hygiene was never an issue.

The only thing I didn't like about training females is that my company would call them daily for 6 weeks making sure they felt safe and it just got annoying after a while.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

DOT "tricks" should be aware of?

*Trailer abs light

The only things I've heard about is dot measuring bridge law with a tape measure and fussing over trailer and lights.

But every dot officer I've personally encountered has been very helpful and honestly just thankful I can speak and comprehend English, lol.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

DOT "tricks" should be aware of?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Study suggest that the ELD Mandate causes unsafe driving behavor.

I'm an o/o and I am totally for elds. I like them a lot.

But like old school said, the implementation was horrible.

My first eld company lasted a year and went out of business. My second company doesn't have theirs programmed correctly. When I put myself in sleeper for 8 hours I get all my time back. I tried telling them, but talking to their customer service in India didn't do anything except confuse them. So I'm looking for a third company.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Isn't regulation a good thing?

Ok. We're all going to have to agree to disagree because I'm not going to argue on the internet. Honestly, I don't really care what raised rates. I didn't buy into the hype. With the extra money I made I paid off my truck and lowered my operating expenses by 50 percent and saved a good chunk.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Isn't regulation a good thing?

I'm an o/o.

Here is an article where the ATA says there's 3.5 million truckers. Not sure what year this was written. What I meant was available drive hours was lost. A lot of it. And because supply and demand that's what mainly drove rates up.

Secondly, listening to " experts," and "industry leaders" is very toxic. At the height of the rates they were saying the high rates were here to stay. You can make tons of money for the foreseeable future..Blah blah blah. Then a downturn came and all I hear is nothing from these experts again. All I see now are people that bought into the talk and now in financial distress.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Isn't regulation a good thing?

You don't think millions of truck drivers’ available hours being cut by electric logs has anything to do with rates rising? Ever heard of supply and demand? Lower the available hours, the higher the demand for them.

I believe that some freight was front loaded. But to say that enough freight was front loaded that lasted through the retail holiday season is crazy. Where did they store all this freight? The warehouses are all the same sizes as the year before.

Freight is fairly consistent meaning trips go 2 to 3 times a week for 8 months for example. You don't haul 200 truck loads in a month and then haul nothing for the rest of the year unless you're talking seasonal things like produce.