Profile For Sid V.

Sid V.'s Info

3 years, 9 months ago

Sid V.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Sid V.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

PC under load.

Well, if it's sop to use yard moves for the local guys i'll come out an apologize for my ignorance.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

PC under load.

Rob, do you think it's really that necessary to do what you're doing? Is it really necessary to log yard moves for less than a 2 min coast? Is it really necessary to keep bouncing between duty statues? What are you accomplishing? Are you trying to make a zig zag pattern on your logs that nobody cares about? I would almost bet my next settlement that you drive off the property and forget you're in yard moves more times than you would admit if your actually doing what you say you do.

Yard moves are on duty so it would not affect your drive clock unless you're over the 14. I didn't read banks' post but he would have been over on his drive time whether or not he used a bunch of yard moves.

When people start going overboard on hours of service they tend to forget what they were made for. It is to make sure the driver has had enough rest to drive. I mean, do whatever you feel like you should be doing. If you want to save a few min's on the 14 hour clock than go for it. By all means.

Ryan, i can't believe your company would agree for you to drive over your hours to make a delivery. I hope you don't get inspected in the next seven days. It is in my experience that the trips are run day in and day out. If you're running out of time doing them then you may be doing something wrong and i would ask other drivers how they do that load. I've had loads with multiple stops that you had to take a 2 hour break during the first unload to do a split break so you had extra time coming back and that was how the trip was meant to be run.

Nobody uses yard moves that i know of.

As Ryan stated there's several people that have stated they use it regularly. I log yard move several times a day. In our gated DC i Log in to truck, YARD MOVE to where my trailers located. Hook up, pretrip YARD MOVE to fuel island to fuel reefer, YARD MOVE to wash bay to have a pretty truck before I leave, maybe even office if I need additional paperwork. Upon return to the DC I may log yard move as soon as I badge in our gate if my 11 or 14 are within 10 minutes. I'll park my trailer, post trip, then YARD MOVE to the trucks assigned spot. That right there is 4 yard moves on an average day. Sure, drivers that run out of the terminal use it more than an OTR driver does. In a post a couple days ago Banks mentioned a day his plans kept getting changed. He logged 10:56 on the drive line and needed another driver to come pick him up. If he didn't log yard move while hooking up or looking for trailers he would've been even farther away. Just because your situation doesn't provide a big advantage by logging yard move doesn't mean it doesn't for others.

I made a calculated decision to deliver the load on time and take the hit on HOS violation. I was in contact with dispatch to inform them that this was my plan.

It's your CDL do as you see fit. Personally, I'm not violating for anyone. If I did my best to get it there on time and communicated any delays I did my job. If a wreck shut the roadway down, or they scheduled it to deliver without enough time that isn't my problem. Do you think dispatch would have your back if you're involved in a wreck? Doubtful. For those new to this industry please do not think it's acceptable to willingly violate HOS. If you're pulled in for an inspection within 8 days of violating you risk an expensive ticket. Your ticket will be hundreds if not thousands of dollars based on the state. If you're carrying hazmat it could be over $75,000 according to a quick Google search. Have enough violations it'll affect if you stay employed at your current company or can land another job at all. If you're involved in any sort of accident while violating you're risking a lawsuit against yourself and your company and possibly even jail time depending in the severity.

Still think its worth it? You do you, but my livelihood is much more important to me than a large corporation losing a few dollars due to missed appointment time, or the few dollars more I'd make the following day if I'd make it there by violating. Your company isn't going to lose a customer over a single missed appointment. Even if they do, if I do the best I can getting it there on time and communicate any issues I really don't care......

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

PC under load.

For all you youngins that don't know the history of "yard moves"...

It was an old rule that was obsolete and not used. When the FMCSA went to ELD's they failed to realize that when you run out of time in a customer's dock there was nothing you can do except sit there for 8 to 10 hours. Nothing. Anything you did would put you in violation because, at the time, you could only use PC time if you weren't ladened with a trailer along with a whole bunch of stipulations.

Well, trucking companies refused to move from docks, the police were called, there wasn't anything anyone could do.

So in a panic, the FMCSA dug up the old "yard moves" rule in order to be able to get the trucks out of the docks, but what they didn't realize is that yard moves put you on duty. So there was really no point in using it because you'd be waiting hours to get unloaded, then use yard moves to go a few miles, then have to immediately take another 10 hour break to reset the clocks you just turned on.

After much grief, the FMCSA finally relented and decided to make the PC rules more laxed so we could use them to get out of docks and to a safe haven. What's the point?

Nobody uses yard moves that i know of. Drivers should not be ashamed to used PC if you're doing what you should be doing. It was given to us to use.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Accepted into Cypress Trucking School

I don't know, maybe it's 3 for a beginner, i've always had to give 10 years. Here's the reg.

§ 383.35 Notification of previous employment.

(a) Any person applying for employment as an operator of a commercial motor vehicle shall provide at the time of application for employment, the information specified in paragraph (c) of this section.

(b) All employers shall request the information specified in paragraph (c) of this section from all persons applying for employment as a commercial motor vehicle operator. The request shall be made at the time of application for employment.

(c) The following employment history information for the 10 years preceding the date the application is submitted shall be presented to the prospective employer by the applicant:

(1) A list of the names and addresses of the applicant's previous employers for which the applicant was an operator of a commercial motor vehicle;

(2) The dates the applicant was employed by these employers; and

(3) The reason for leaving such employment.

(d) The applicant shall certify that all information furnished is true and complete.

(e) An employer may require an applicant to provide additional information.

(f) Before an application is submitted, the employer shall inform the applicant that the information he/she provides in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section may be used, and the applicant's previous employers may be contacted for the purpose of investigating the applicant's work history.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Accepted into Cypress Trucking School

Hi aj

It's a federal mandate that a company has to have 10 years of work history in the driver's file. It was a response to some terrorism stuff that happened years back.

Any reputable carrier will require this. I wouldn't even enter into this industry until you do. Sorry for the bad news.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

PC under load.

Yes you can use pc if you run out of time in the dock. That's one of the reasons, if not the main reason they made that reg.

Posted:  1 month ago

Employing spouse in trucking (non driving)

David, I'm curious what type of freight you run. You're talking about permits and a dedicated broker you use so I'm assuming it's some kind of specialized or heavy haul?

I will warn you that i have heard of nothing but negativity about the current market as a whole. The spot market has been in the toilet for the past 7 months and I've heard of nobody saying they're trying to expand anything right now.

But your an adult, you can make your own decisions, just be careful. If the broker is showing you good paying freight, tell him to show you the freight rates that's coming out at the receiver.

Posted:  1 month ago

Employing spouse in trucking (non driving)

Hi David

First, what do you mean by growth? Are you trying to build a fleet or hire o/o's? You may want to ask your insurance how many additional trucks they will allow you to have per year. Most of them won't let you add more than one or two trucks and have strict rules.

I would say the most important question is financially justifying your wife in your company. If she already has a good paying job with benefits, she's going to bring more than that to your business. If you're losing her benefits i can tell you that the marketplace is very very expensive compared to the private sector because you have to pay for 100% of the premium.

You should ask your cpa, but i would think bringing her on as an employee would be the way to go.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Super sleeper trucks

Hi Sean,

I have thrown around getting a super sleeper myself. Unfortunately, you probably will have to ask the owners about it at some point.

I talked to one owner a few years ago and he says he hauls government contracted freight. In top of that he made it a point that he only hauls freight when the market is good.

From what I got out of it is that he's basically very financially secured, and hauling freight as an on the side retirement gig.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Trucking economics, trucking economies

Hi bk,

Deadhead miles most of the time are baked into the rate on the load. For instance, if you look at what shippers pay for loads going into places like Denver or Florida you'll see that they pay twice, sometimes more than a normal load. This is because freight volume at the receiver is so bad that more times than not you're bt out unless you want to haul some cheap and heavy freight.

Ultimately, it all trickles down to the consumers that pay for it. Anything that raises the cost of buisness gets put into the price.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Roadmaster schools

I went to roadmasters in Orlando. Yes, they are owned by werner ( at least when I went). I feel they are a great school.

One thing I will say was there were instructors there that could not make it there as a full time job. I don't know if it was the lack of hours, pay, or the standard of living in Florida. Good luck to your friend and hope he can make it work.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Accounting for single owner operator?

Hi Willa.

From your post I can already tell you your accounting software is the least of your problems.

You need to sit down with a cpa and make sure your buisness is structured correctly. I hope someone is walking you through the process because you don't want to have a taxable income in six figures at the end of the year.

As far as your accounting question, it is a complicated as you want to make it. I do everything with paper and pen and I give my cpa a very detailed spreadsheet at tax time. My buisness is very simple, I only use 3 brokers and everything is has a paper trail.

Posted:  2 months ago

To all the experienced drivers

Hi Thomas,

You will find that the more you get into the industry, the more you will ficus less on miles and more on other issues such as safety, on time delivery, clock management, health etc.

In fact, when I talk to people and their mindset is focused on miles I know they're either new or still don't understand what it's about.

As an owner, more miles is viewed as a negative. Miles means more wear and tear on the equipment, and that means more maintenance and more taxes. The only time I look at miles is when I do quarterly ifta taxes and it's a number that I just gloss over.

To me, anyone that pounds out 700, 800 miles to me is insane. To company drivers that may seem like an accomplishment, but to me that almoa t borderline torture.

Anyways, take it for what it's worth. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Should I jump into trucking and quit my solid job now as a recession looms?

Hi Mack

The trucking industry as it stands today has already been in a downturn for about 4-5 months. So, the o/o's you are talking about have already went out of business. These are people that bought equipment that had inflated payments and they were taking a risk that the market would stay at an elevated state. Now, mostly the people that are left are o/o's with paid off equipment or with really low overhead.

I do not believe that there will be an apocalypse of o/o's becoming company drivers. The reason being is two things. First, being company you have to follow the company rules. Secondly (and i might get pushback) the money you make as a local or regional driver does not compare with that of an o/o. I say that mainly because of the tax liabilities of a w2 compared to a 1099.

In any case, if you want to get into truck driving you shouldn't let anything stop you. Imo, you should get in as soon as you can because if the economy starts getting worse and people start losing jobs you will have to compete with the influx of new people trying to get in.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Fired from walmart...

Hi Sharon,

A person that tells you to bang on the side of the trailer to see if it's empty obviously has never driven a truck.

Be a professional. If there's a question about a trailer being ready to take, make sure it has a green light. Bend your knees at the dock and make sure the dock plate is down with your eyes. Pull back the black plastic seal and make sure the door is closed and there's no hazards. This will take you less than 10 seconds. It's not that hard.

I don't feel bad for the people that got let go. They could have caused injuries or death from pulling a trailer out when it was not ready.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Improving CSA Scores

Csa score goes against a carrier not a driver. Maybe you can ask them to clarify. Maybe it's your psp report?

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

First Post and Loving this Forum! Feedback needed

Hi starlighter,

Just a few things, and these are just my opinions. You may want to consider truck driving after your daughter goes off to school and you can put your full attention on truck driving. There's a sharp learning curve and you wouldn't want to put more stress on yourself wondering when you're going to get home.

I would start by looking around your area for local jobs and seeing if there are any that hire with little experience. Memphis is big hub for freight so there maybe some intermodal companies, but generally local work is a lot harder than driving a truck across country. They usually have very early start times, and heavy physical requirements.

Good luck.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Long detention times waiting for completed paperwork

More than likely they're counting up everything manually and making sure it's in good shape.

Put yourself in the sleeper birth. If they take more than 8 hours you can split your break or if they unload more than 2 hours your next break can be 8 instead of 10.

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

Sign of the times?

Hi Davy,

The freight market has been in the toilet for the past 3 months going on 4. But i've seen some of the rates go up this week so maybe it will only be a temporary slowdown for you. Good luck.

Posted:  4 months ago

Florida kingpin law. Need some advice how to measure

Hi twosides,

Kingpin law just means they don't want you driving with your tandems all the way back.

You're light. Move your tandems all the way up towards the truck and you'll be fine.