Comments By JJlearner

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/flag.jpg avatar

I finally did it!

Congratulations dancing-banana.gifdancing.gifdancing.gif

Overnight parking at rest stops in PA

It isn’t about the backing, etc. I prefer rest stops, etc.

Two reasons. It is quieter, and I am losing 5 pounds a week staying away from truck stop food. And saving money. So 3 reasons.

2 weeks in TNT and I was thinking the same. If Truckers start parking at rest stops instead of truck stops we won't gain that extra pounds. So once I go solo that is what I am going to do.

Husband/ Wife Team Drivers

Hi did you try Prime Inc. You guys should apply there together. Once applied and selected you both can go for 1 week orientation together. After that he will start his 40K training with a trainer and you will go for 3 to 4 weeks of CDL training. After you get your CDL you will go for your 30K training w/ a trainer. He will get a guaranteed $600 a week while in training and you will get a guranteed $700 a week in your 30K training period. You guys probably will finish your training at same time and after that I think you both can start team driving.

Here is a linkPrime Inc CDL Training

New Truck

I believe that it is standard equipment with Prime. Three years ago when I started with Swift, no APU's, refrigerators, or inverters. My new truck has an 1800 watt inverter and a refrigerator. No APU though, still need to idle for A/C. Competition for drivers is pretty fierce right now. Companies are adding these amenities to their trucks to lure drivers. smile.gif

Oh ok thanks Tractor Man. Now I got it. So I probably will get one. nice.smile.gif

What is the strangest thing you've seen?

As a TNT student I haven't seen anything yet but this breathtaking view from Deadman Pass lookout area was so great.

New Truck

Awesome Congratulations Jamie.dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif I was in the impression that every truck comes with an APU. Both my PSD and TNT trainers trucks have that. Hope in the future when I go solo the truck they assign me will have that.

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

I think Britton went for prime training 1 week before me and I was reading his diary very interestingly. I bet he is a very nice guy but I wonder his last post can give wrong ideas to new students. Another guy in psd program with me did the same thing. He said he came to prime only because he doesn't have money and he doesn't want to take 15k student loan and spend 6 months in a CDL school. I can understand why some people take advantage of company school , especially when companies like prime is paying interest free loan and free food. Personally I will never think about leaving a company without finishing my commitment.

Pre-Trip Inspection Preparation

Hi doug all I did was studying Daniel's Pre-trip pdf file. I watched few youtube videos just to get the basic understanding of parts and location, after that I was just reading Daniel's file. When I took the test I said the exact words from that and i got 89 or 90 and the guy who tested me went and told my trainer that "He is good"

I kind of liked this video. If you get a chance please check.

Final Recap and Impressions of Roehl and Their Get Your CDL Program

Lol Mr. Professor X started training 4 months ago and he changed his profile to experienced driver. That tells us everything about him.

I am not confident but company wants me to take the driving test

Thank you Marc, Bruce, Feanor and Old School. Yes Od School as long as I drive I am going to consider myself as a student.

Can Truck Drivers Make More Than Web Developers?

Hi Moses I dont have any experience as a truck driver to give you an advice but I was in your situation. That is the only reason I am commenting. Few months ago I got laid off and I was making 90K. The only reason I came for driving is because I love driving and I am not even thinking about how much I am going to make for next 2 or 3 years. All I am thinking now is how to be a good driver and I want to learn as much as I can. People may have different opinions but my advice is just don't go for driving only to make money. Do it only if you love it.

I am not confident but company wants me to take the driving test

Thank you all moderators and everyone else on trucking truth who helped me to get through this and also educate me about trucking Industry.

So I didn't Trifecta but this is what happened. I was able to take the test this Monday. Before taking the test I read all the comments here once again and I have to say it really helped me.

Pretrip.- I had to do the entire truck and I missed only one answer. My only worry about pretrip was that I may forgot to push tractor and trailer brake before doing the air brake test. Luckily that didn't happen.

Backing - Jesus I was so nervous last week but when I started testing I was so calm. I had to do straight line, offset right and parallel park driver side. I did all 3 with out any points :) I just did what my trainers taught me at prime and it was perfect.

Driving- I was driving perfectly fine but there is an area where there are 2 signs. 45 miles and the other sign says trucks 20 miles. I saw the sign and reduced the speed , I even told the examiner that speed limit is 20 and reduced the speed to 18miles. But it was downhill and cars were merging and I was looking at the cars and speed went up to 22 and he said I am sorry we can't continue the test since you went over the speed limit and failed me. I should have been more carefull.

So Prime was able to get me another test date today and I went and did it. I passed :)yeee. When examiner said i passed I started crying like crazy lol. My trainers who were waiting for me thought I failed again. What a feeling it was, when i graduated from college I didn't feel nothing but getting a CDL is a total different feeling.

So now I am officially a Prime Driver. Tomorrow I am going to start my TNT.

Thank you all for all your help.

Is there a way how to legaly get a work permit in the US as a driver

If you go to any state DMV sites this is what it says. "You must be a US citizen or non-US citizen with a valid Permanent Resident Card."

I am not confident but company wants me to take the driving test

Thank you Bruce, Old school and Pete. This is why I love trucking truth. Reading your comments really made me more confident and I am less tensed now. I am taking the test on Tuesday next week. Hi Bruce I am with Prime but taking test in Pittston, PA. Here prime doesn't have a testing pad and they use a rival state recongnised CDL school. I am not sure it is just a rumor but people are saying that they purposely make students fail so that they can make more money from prime. But I don't how it works if a student does things perfectly. So I am going for test on tuesday and try my best. Thank you all.

I am not confident but company wants me to take the driving test

So I got only 8 hours of backing practice on the pad. I am good with straight line backing but I am really not confident about all other 3. But my company wants me to go and take the CDL test. I am pretty sure I am going to fail. Just 8 or 10 hours of pad time - Is that what they normally give?or they are trying to push me and try my luck so my trainer can get the next student and move on? All I can tell for sure is that I am 100% sure that I won't be able to do backing in that test.

How Old is Too Old?

"...World Health Organization (WHO) had declared that 65 years old is still considered young. Before, based on the Friendly Societies Act (1875) in Britain, old was defined by age of 50. The UN has not adopted a standard criterion but lately 60 years old was referred as the border age to the word “old”. However the health organization had done a new research recently, according to average health quality and life expectancy, and defined a new criterion that divides human age as follows:

• 0-17 years old: under age

• 18-65 years old: youth/young people

• 66-79 years old: middle-aged

• 80-99 years old: elderly/senior

• 100+ years old: long-lived elderly

...."

New tax law changes hit truck drivers hard

From a not-yet-driver: you can't deduct your meals or cell phone for other jobs either. I used my cell phone at work and have to prepare / buy meals while I'm at work. Not sure why it would be expected that you COULD deduct these?

Per diem and meal deduction

Prime PSD program driving hours - question

Thanks turtle this helps. Now I understood and I got a great trainer. Can't wait to pass my CDL.

Prime PSD program driving hours - question

Hi question to prime psd students / Trainers? Approximately how many hours you get to drive every day. My trainer drives some local dedicated fleet and I get to drive probably 80 to 120 miles and get to practice straight line backing 6 or 9 times a day. Is this typical or am I getting less driving miles since my trainer drives locally?

Best Pre-trip video tutorial for Prime students