Profile For Professor_Eye_M

Professor_Eye_M's Info

Chicago, IL

Preparing For School

5 months, 3 weeks ago

Professor_Eye_M's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Stevens Transport & CFI

I'd forgot to add...

With everything that was said with Stevens Transport, should I be worried and forget about the whole pre hire letter or call them and give it a shot? I don't have anything else on my record that should hinder me.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Stevens Transport & CFI

I have a question for Trucking Truth and any drivers who are employed with Stevens Transport.

Last week, I had filled out an application to Stevens Transport for the CDL training. This was one of my strongest choices to get into, besides the fact that their contractual commitment is 3 years. When I had applied, I already had the mindset that they will say NO due to my record but from the suggestions that the experienced drivers on here had said to me, which was apply like crazy, that's what I did. APPLY LIKE CRAZY! I didn't apply like crazy per se, but I did apply to that application link on here. As well, I had put an application/profile on Driver Pulse. Before I know it, I had recruiters calling me like crazy. It was a great feeling to have companies calling me trying to get me in their program at the beginning. Once I had revealed to them about my record, the NO's just came flying in all over the place. I wanted to just lie and keep it all a secret because I just wanted to get on the road and get the experience. But I couldn't. I had to be honest. This is what most experienced truckers like Old School, Rainy D, Brett, Big Scott, and many others on here preach to us newbies, especially us newbies with records. So I had to man up and be very honest with them. At first, it was very discouraging to have these NO'S thrown at my face. But I remember something what Brett had preached throughout so many posts to newbies who gets so discourage..."HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?" I don't believe this was verbatim but the emotions were the same. So I had to ask myself HOW BAD DO I WANT TO BE A TRUCKER? And the answer is simple, BADLY. Plus, that's how life works. When you want something so bad, you will have to work hard to get. It won't be easy. Once you get it though, it will be more appreciative rather than it to be handed to you easily.

Now, what's exactly on my record that I'm receiving so many NO's? Here are the following:

2015 - Misdemeanor charge for battery/makes physical contact. Still under supervision until my fines are fully paid.

2016 - Failed DOT drug test while attending KLLM company based CDL training (Not sure if it was reported. Regardless if it was on my DAC or anywhere else or not, I want to be honest rather than being secretive. I don't have anything to hide or am I embarrased about it. Plus, I heard trucking companies will find out about it.).

2017 - +15 mph Speeding ticket in Missouri (it's been paid)

I could give a sob story about each event but what's been done, is done and mistakes were made. These are nothing but life lessons and I thank God I had manifested through each one. It could had been worse.

With that being said, I had applied to Stevens Transport with the mindset that they will say NO instantly. So what do I have to lose? Throughout the application, I was faced with a couple questions that I wanted to lie but I know I have to be very truthful. The questions were:

1) Ever tested positive or refused a pre-employment drug or alcohol test? I had answered YES and explained that it was in 2016. However, I didn't specify it was a DOT test.

2) Have you had any tickets in the last 3 years? Number of tickets in last 3 years. I had answered 1 ticket and explained it was in 2016 in Missouri going +15 mph.

Unfortunately, there wasn't any questions pertaining to felonies/convictions, otherwise, I would had truthfully explained about that as well.

After I'd finished and submitted the application, I felt very bittersweet about it because this was one of the companies I wouldn't mind working for, minus the 3 year contract (this isn't a deal breaker or anything but 3 years sounds pretty nail-biting, however, beggars can't be choosers.). Anyhoo, about a few days later I had received a pre hire letter from Stevens Transport. That really had shocked me because it was so unexpected. I had to rethink to myself about if I had truthfully answered the questions on the application, which I did. Immediately after realizing that I did, I felt like there's hope and it had uplifted my spirits; I became more determined to overcome this obstacle of what others may had just simply gave up. From my research, I understand that a PRE HIRE LETTER is simply an invitation to an orientation to weed out the applicants and it's not an official letter of employment. But just to see a pre hire letter in my position can really give a person courage and hope. I haven't called them back to go through a background or whatever because A) I'm not planning to go to any CDL training until around June or July of this year. I want to get all of my ducks line up. B) I just have that small fear that they will say "sorry, you're not a qualified candidate." Fearing the unknown is a b**ch sometimes. As a wise person once said to me "A scared man can't win and a dead man can't play."

On another note, I had received a message from CFI asking me to give them a call about my application. When I had seen this, I immediately thought about Big Scott who parlays on here. If you're reading this Big Scott, what would you suggest? Would I qualify? I know it's better for me to call the recruiter but what are your thoughts?

Thank you all for reading.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

CDL Training With CRST Has Has Been Granted

Congrats to you Doug. I'm sure everything will work out for you at CRST. It sucks that Prime had turned you down but everything happens for a reason and maybe this will be your grand opportunity for success.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

DAC Report

You're right Rainy. I don't want to be the one who makes that forum about HOW I WAS SENT HOME BECAUSE I DIDN'T THINK IT THEY WOULD FIND OUT. Certainly don't want to look like an idiot and make matters worse for me. I will have to just bite the bullet and do the right thing and do what is required. I honestly don't care if I'm making $0.17 per mile or $0.24 per mile, I just need the OTR experience for at least 1 year or 1 year and some months and then from there, opportunities to make more will come. I will just have to accept a lot of NO's before getting that one YES after completing both the SAP and the Return of Duty Process.

I truly appreciate all of your kindness and advices you all gave me and will take heed to what you all highly suggest for me to do.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

DAC Report

Thanks for the advice Rainy. So how should I approach this when asking a recruiter? Do I fill out an application and afterwards, talk to the recruiter or just call him/her and ask if they can look up and see if I do have a failed dot drug test?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like an idiot or anything.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

DAC Report

Just to put this out there. I'm not trying to find a "loop hole" or a way to cover up this up. I just want to make that this is on my record or not. If so, I don't mind taking the SAP program. If not, I don't want to waste my time and money. That's all.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

DAC Report

Ok. Thanks Old School.

If there's anyone out there who knows, let me know ASAP. It would be very appreciative.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

DAC Report

Thanks for the reply Old School. Is there a way I can request a report on seeing about a failed drug test?

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

DAC Report

Hello to all who are viewing this forum.

I have a question regarding this topic. So for those who know me from my previous forum, I had a failed pre-employment dot drug test about 2 1/2 years ago with KLLM's CDL training and never even made it to getting a permit or orientation. From those who had responded, they all gave me some wise words and knowledge on what I needed to do. And took great heed to it as well.

Before I had posted that forum, I had requested for a DAC report with Hireright earlier this month. I'm not sure if I had requested for the right forms/reports, however, I did check the box that indicated "DAC Employment History File" which includes employment history records and identifies existence of alcohol/controlled substance test history, if any, as submitted by former employers. Then a week later I had received an email from a representative as follows:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dear (…………..),

HireRight received your 1/16/2019 request for a copy of your consumer reports in which you selected the option for “All Reports”. To be sure that we are providing you with the information you would like to receive, I would like to speak with you to clarify your request. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Our records indicate that a background report for you was recently ordered by Caterpillar in 09/2011. If this is the report you want to receive, you may simply reply to this email and we will forward that to you as soon as possible. However, if this is not the report you requested and would like HireRight to provide additional reports (if any), please call me at 000.000.0000 extension 000000 so I can confirm exactly what information you need, or you may respond to this email.

If I am unable to contact you by 1/24/2019, I will fulfill your request by sending you a copy of any report(s) provided by HireRight about you within the past 30 days. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And no, I didn't fail a drug test at Caterpillar...

So my question is, did I request for the right forms? The representative did call me a week later to clarify and she said that caterpillar was the only company that was listed. So I had cancelled the order. After doing more researching with DAC reports and how it's been said that there can still be something on those reports and to get a copy by mail/email to verify, I had re-requested for another report and check almost all the boxes and ask for all reports.

Should I be concerned and go off and do a SAP course or should I be relieved and excited to know that I'm just moments away of going off to a school and get my CDL and get OTR asap?

What do you think? I should be receiving my DAC report within 13 days and counting just to be very sure.

Professor_Eye_M

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Here are my ten choices for company-sponsored CDL training

Thank you all for the encouragement. To be honest, I was a little down for about 30 minutes or so after Old School's post, but that little mustard seed inside of me is always sprouting faith and told me not to give up. I came along way and learn too much to just throw it away because of a small mistake. I'm not going to give up and after all of the information I'd gained about trucking, there's NO WAY IN HELL will I ever mix drugs/alcohol with driving. I just can't fathom the thought of being intoxicated and ramming behind a vehicle and moments later I find out that I had just killed a family, let alone a little baby. I would be beyond traumatize. I just see this as God's way of saying that I need to leave drugs alone. Plus, this could had been worse to where if I had a CDL and I was caught with drugs in my system, the consequence could've been more dire than just getting popped prior to getting any sort of CDL. As the old saying goes, "When there's a will, there's a way" and I have a will to getting a CDL. This just requires a lllloooonnnggg set of baby steps. Plus, I knew at the very beginning when I told myself to focus on getting an CDL that there will be bumps and hurdles. So I had already mentally prepared myself. That's the soldiers way.

Let me ask you all another question. Since you all know that I was popped, which was around 2 1/2 years ago and from the responses, I have to now take a SAP course if I'm ever considering of OTR. I cool with that. Rules are rules. With that being said. Let's say if I took another route and went to go for a CDL B and found a transit bus service who will train on the job and the only thing I have to do is get my permit first. And on the application, it asks that if I had failed a DOT drug test in the last 2 years and I said no (truthfully it was over two years ago , would I still be penalized because I did failed one that was over 2 years ago and still have to do a SAP or should I be in the clear? I heard many of times, if they don't ask, don't tell.

I'm thinking, hell if I can't get into OTR with a CDL A, at least I can get a CDL B and work that for awhile until I can get things straighten with this whole SAP/Failing a DOT drug test thing. Of course, I will leave this in God's hands and let the universe direct me. Until then, I just need some advice, opinions, suggestions, etc.

Thank you all once again for your responses. You guys are awesome!!!

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Here are my ten choices for company-sponsored CDL training

I guess even though I never had gotten a CDL, I'm pretty much SOL. That's a bummer. I guess I have to look for a different career choice and say goodbye to a trucking career.

Thanks for the response Old School

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Here are my ten choices for company-sponsored CDL training

It's not that I want it to be privately or anything nor am I ashamed or anything, I am new on here and from all the responses that Brett had been putting on here, I'd felt that his knowledge would be beneficial but I can ask publicly.

So here's the situation. I had applied at KLLM about 2 years or so ago and I had soon started in their training program, which was going through the classroom portion of the course (training to get a CDL permit). Soon, the classroom was taken to do our DOT physical. When I had took my physical, unfortunately I had failed the drug test. I wasn't thinking at that time because I was going through a dark period moment in life. I'm not making any excuses or anything and take full responsibility for my mistake. That was 2 years or so ago and hadn't applied or even tried to get back into getting into the trucking industry.

Recently, I had revisited the idea of making another attempt to get into the trucking industry and this time, I'm doing some extensive research in what to expect in this industry, something I hadn't done in my first attempt. Thus, I created an account on TT do get more an educated insight of how to become successful.

So the question is, with the failed pre employment drug test, what are my chances of getting a company to give me a shot with their company-based CDL training? I had done some exhausting research on the web, including on TT, to find answers. So far, I'm getting some conflicting answers. Should I just hang it up and find another career or would I have a shot?

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Here are my ten choices for company-sponsored CDL training

Thanks Old School!

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Here are my ten choices for company-sponsored CDL training

Will do Doug C. and keep us posted with whoever company that brings you in. I would love to hear your progress.

Hey Brett Aquilla, I have a question for you that I would like to ask you personally. Is there a way I can send a message/email to you in confidence?

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Here are my ten choices for company-sponsored CDL training

Thank you everyone who had responded to my question with your wisdom and knowledge. As I'm a newbie on here, I'm not familiar with how to do add "quotes" from responses onto my reply.

To PJ and Raptor, I will be looking into some of the links Big Scott had posted on here to get a better fill about schools.

To Brett Aquila, I had venture into most of those links last night. I had especially read "Brett's Book: The Raw Truth About Trucking (free online version)." Even though it was only 88 pages, it was very, very, very insightful. It had really curved and narrowed my focus. I loved how it had breakdown between OTR, Regional, and Local. Furthermore, how it had breakdown between dry van, reefer, tanker, and let's not forget Dump Trucks. I had started reading this book around 10pm last night and finished around 2am with a throbbing headache (in a good way due to soaking up every word into my rookie-sized brain). It's not that I'm a slow reader, I wanted to envision and have a great understanding with every word. I didn't want to skim through it like the average joe and at the end, feel like I'm now Mr. Know It All. When I had posted this forum, I wasn't aware of this book and my choices were oblivious. After reading the book, I had re-approached my choices, it's now a totally different viewpoint with different questions to ask myself. I kind of feel dumb now for posting this forum because I'm learning now it's not about what school/company you go to, it's all about the mindset and the willingness to know that this industry is a HYPER-COMPETITIVE industry and you have to keep those wheels turning to make money. Oh yeah, let's not forget about attitude. I had witness through YouTube videos, there are a lot of negative mindsets on the road and so many videos on how people quit the company because of A, B, and C. Not sure why? After reading that book, now I have an idea as to why. I can see trucking isn't for everyone. Not to throw out my life story out there, which I won't right now, but I think trucking is for me. Somehow when I had evaded that thought throughout my life because it sounded extremely intimidating, somehow I get re-approached with the idea, like BAM, a smack in the face. Rather it be through a conversation with someone out of nowhere or through a subliminal, lucid-based dream that I can't seem to explain (and this had happened countless of times). That internal feeling seems to follow me a lot lately. Maybe the time is now to follow that internal instinct that perhaps God and the universe are constantly throwing at me. I don't know, call me a spiritualist. I know trucking can't be that bad that to where I want to bash a company who had gave me a chance to get a CDL with no money down and a truck to make money and get the experience needed to solidify my career. I don't know. So much to learn, especially those logbooks lol.

To Doug C., I wish you nothing but the greatest of success in your trucking journey. My plans is to start in April 2019. From my research and understanding, it will be tough and bittersweet in the beginning as a rookie. At least for me as I have 0 experience on my end. Not sure if you have any experience with those big rigs. Hopefully we'll continue bumping into each other on here throughout our first year and give encouragement to one another. I'm sure we will need it.

To Old School, thank you for your response in my last forum and I had listen to both podcasts/recordings you had posted. After listening to them, I have to admit, I was discourage for a second. Not sure as to why? Maybe after reading Brett's book for about a few hours or so and suddenly listening to your recording, I think I was just overwhelmed. After with an adequate amount of sleep, I'd waken up this morning with a fresh perspective on things and I'm coming to understand that it doesn't matter if I go to a CDL school or go to a company-based CDL training. The reality is, it's all about your drive and motivation. True, going to a CDL school you're able to better hone into your skills, get more of training with adequate time, and get all the practice you need prior getting a CDL and going OTR versus going to a company-based CDL training and cramming about only a certain percentage of knowledge to you in such a short period of time (between 4-6 weeks, give or take) before going OTR. So there are pros and cons with both sides of the fence. It's all about knowing that this OTR lifestyle is right for you. And the only way I can find out is to take that leap of faith and JUST GO FOR IT! Hopefully, this all makes sense. I'm just a rookie with 0 experience whose only speaking for instincts, however, I am doing constant researching every chance I get. Rather it's reading this and that, watching YouTube videos of people praising companies or giving companies the middle finger, telling their opinions about the lifestyle on the road, or even watching videos of truck accidents. If it involves trucks, I'm absorbing as much as I can so once I'm accepted to a CDL school or company-based CDL training, I am more aware of what I'm getting myself into, than opposed to, not knowing a damn thing going into this head first, only to put my trustful heart and soul to those salespeople (The Recruiter), only to tell me what I want to hear. I surely don't want to get caught into the "Matrix."

Once again, thank you everyone for responding and I know I will have tons of more question along the way of my journey.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Here are my ten choices for company-sponsored CDL training

Hello trucking truth users,

I have ten choices for company-sponsered CDL training and would like some insight/feedback with these choices. If anyone of you had ever or is working for one of these companies, what are your views/opinions.

Thank you for your responses and knowledge in advance.

Here are my choices:

1. C.R. England 2. Knight Transportation 3. MCT Transportation, LLC 4. Millis Transfer, INC. 5. Roehl 6. Stevens Truck 7. Swift Transportation 8. XPO Logistics 9. YRC Freight 10. U.S. Express

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Just a rookie here who's looking to start his trucking career this year

Hey Big Scott,

Thanks for taking the time out to respond. So, these are/were my choices at the beginning: ------------------------------------ ------------------------------------

AVERITT EXPRESS CARTER EXPESS, INC CELADON CENTRAL REFRIGERATED C.R. ENGLAND CRST FFE TRANSPORTATION JIM PALMER TRUCKING KNIGHT TRANSPORTATION MAVERICK TRANSPORTATION LLC MCT TRANSPORTATION, LLC MILLIS TRANSFER, INC. PRIME TRANSPORTATION PAM TRANSPORT RAIDER EXPRESS ROEHL SCHNEIDER NATIONAL STEVENS TRUCK SWIFT TRANSPORTATION TMC USA TRUCK US EXPRESS VERIHA TRUCKING WERNER ENTERPRISE WIL TRANS XPO LOGISTICS YRC FREIGHT -------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------

I had narrowed it down to C.R. England, Swift, Stevens, and Roehl. I'm considering of putting Prime into my solid choices. I have until April to have a concrete decision so I'm still open for any suggestions. I will definitely look at CFI

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Just a rookie here who's looking to start his trucking career this year

Thanks for the reply Old School.

From your response, it doesn't scare me at all. It kind of sounds like any other job where they will train you the basics and afterwards, they will put you out into the "battlefield" and learn as you go. I don't let any videos via YouTube to be the determination of what to expect. I do, however, watch such videos where both people praise the industry and people spurt out their negativities. From my life experiences, it's better for me to go embrace the negativities and learn through them than to assume that everything would be all rosy with rainbow gumdrops. How can you learn anything assume everything will be perfect? I embrace challenges and from my research so far with trucking (especially OTR), is full of never-ending challenges, and a man like me loves challenges. That's what separates a soldier from a coward, per se.

I don't and wouldn't want anyone to hold my hand in this business. My philosophy is "teach me what you know so I can apply it and move on." I have goals to accomplish and I just want to be as successful as the next man/woman or better so I can teach the next person.

Once again Old School, thank you for your response and hopefully you and many other truckers on here are able to continue to intel me with much great wisdom and knowledge of the trucking game to become the next successful trucker.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Just a rookie here who's looking to start his trucking career this year

Hello to all here on truckingtruth,

I have a question to all who had obtained their CDL as a company driver. I don't have a CDL and my plan is to enrolled into CDL school through a company sometime in April 2019. My options are C.R. England, Swift, Stevens Transportation, and Roehl. I'm still doing my diligence in researching. I have 0 experience in driving trucks and I'm pretty stoked in learning the art of driving semis, however, I'm very patient to research in what I'm getting myself into. And the pros outweighs the cons.

So here's my question. Once I'm accepted to a company and go through their CDL training, am I able to practice driving trucks as much as possible (i.e. practicing backing up, parallel parking, etc.). I was just curious because it's been said countless times that backing up is one of the hardest things to do when driving trucks.

Any answers will be gratefully appreciated.

Professor_Eye_M