Comments By Viking

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0979775001558138356-86004.jpg avatar
  • Viking
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  5 months ago

Truckers Path new routing highly inaccurate

Yeah I could see that actually happening if you drove during the day out here.

Posted:  5 months ago

Truckers Path new routing highly inaccurate

Most likely cause is it's using a lower average speed in it's calculations.

Posted:  5 months ago

Surviving my 1st year

Another thing that will save you several dollars is redeeming the points on the FREE fuel rewards cards that every truck stop chain has. Use these cards every time you get fuel for the truck. In less than two months, you should easily accumulate enough rewards points to get a lunchbox plug-in cooker/warmer for free. I save my bonus points for a long time and make large item purchases. The last GPS I got was over $400. Utilizing my free points (free $$$), I only used less than $75 of my money.

Great point packrat. I've used these points for gloves, tools, that hose that let's you use your trailer air supply to air up your tires.. all kinds of stuff. embarrassed.gif

Posted:  5 months ago

Surviving my 1st year

Since you have a fridge you're covered on keeping things cool/fresh.

An option I haven't seen mentioned for heating food up is a 12v lunchbox stove. I personally have the roadpro one. Was about 30$ on Amazon. I use disposable cake pans to avoid having to clean the stove daily. 3 for 99c at Walmart. You can heat up a can of soup/ spaghetti os/ chilli whatever in about 30 mins.

I haven't done it myself but YouTube has plenty of videos of people actually cooking home quality meals, think chicken and veggies in the stove.

As Bruce mentioned a can of soup is like 1$?ish plus 30c for one cake tin and boom hot, healthyish food. Way way better then anything you'll get in a truck stop for way way cheaper. dancing-banana.gifgood-luck.gif

Posted:  5 months ago

Austrian Trucker Babe in the US for TV Show

What about the possibility of getting your BABE a Commercial Learner's Permit and teaming her up with a duly licensed CDL holder?

I hereby offer my services, but I want the BABE to be close to my age group (let's say 35 to 55), shapely, long hair, able to work long hours, etc. And I want photos in advance so I can pick out the one I deem most suitable. Maybe we can work out a wedding of convenience so the BABE can get a green card. Have your people get with my people to work out the details.

Oh Bruce... rofl-2.gifrofl-1.gifrofl-2.gifrofl-3.gif

Posted:  5 months ago

Pre trip- what is the DOT requirement

From what I've gleaned from actually reading the regulations there is no mandated minimum time that must be spent according to the DOT. Your company may have a minimum and I believe I heard somewhere certain states expect a minimum (heresay) but believe the 15 min minimum is a carry over from paper logs when 15 mins was the shortest duty status block you could log.

Also Bruce I understand why your doing it that way, but technically that is considered falsifying your logbook. Might be hard to prove unless you tell a dot officer what your doing but yeah.

good-luck.gif

Posted:  5 months ago

Energy drinks

Sleep. It doesn't come with a sugar crash. dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Just a funny trucking picture to brighten your day

0076619001557614908.jpg0704396001557614956.jpg0938106001557615044.jpg0425372001557615132.jpg

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

My first 45 days as a truck driver

Congrats on surviving all that mess and without hitting anything! Looking forward to the next 45 days? smile.gif

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Communicating With Dispatch

Just the other day I picked up a refer backhaul drop and hook. Upon inspection I noticed the shipper set the refer incorrectly according to the BOL. Not by much but when your 1-2 degrees from 32f and the loads not supposed to freeze not much can be a big deal. I corrected the refer setting to the bol. Then I noticed The refer was also almost empty. We are supposed to only fuel our refers at the terminal.

Before leaving I sent in a freeform informing them I needed refer fuel, where I was going to get it, and about the refer temp difference. I also included my ETA to delivery. The message I got back from them was " Thank you for letting us know, and figuring out a way to get it done. You always do."

That brought a rather large smile to my face. smile.gif

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Some Guys Don't Know How to Treat a Woman

embarrassed.gif

Now there's something you don't see everyday!

rofl-2.gifrofl-1.gif

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

My story so far..

Hello, Viking. What's with the name? Are you a Vikings fan? I'm a Packer fan, but no big deal. Lol.

Stick around, there is a great group here and there is great information and experiences exchanged.

Nope, not into football in the least. It's an old nickname I picked up when I had crazy long hair and beard and it stuck. 😂

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

CR England Trucks With Three Bunks

Watched the video and it was interesting to see how they do the third bunk. Lot's of storage sacrificed, I guess those three people teams need to pack light.

Maybe this is a good place to ask a question I've had. I've never been in a truck while someone else was in the sleeper when the truck was moving. I've never had to use the "net" that holds the person in the bunk. What are the rules and regulations regarding sleeper berth use when the truck is in motion? And that third bunk over the seats, can someone be in that while the truck is on the road?

If the truck is moving your supposed to have the net/belt on. As for regulations from the DOT on the upper bunk not sure but C.R. England company policy is no one in the top bunk while the truck is in motion on a two bunk truck, can't imagine it's different for the 3 bunk trucks.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

My story so far..

Yeah MA parking is... Not ideal.. luckily SYSCO in Plympton allows you to take your break on their property which is great because I'm based in Front royal VA. By the time I get there i usually have 1.5 hrs or less left to drive and by the time I'm unloaded less then 30.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

My story so far..

Well, hello there.

Recently found this forum/site and have been lurking the forums for the past week or so and figured I'd say hello.

I started my truck driving career in March of last year with C.R. England. I already had my CDL from my previous employer but no experience driving.

After 3-4 days of orientation i was on my trainers truck. That was an experience to say the least. There were three of us on the truck. The trainer and two students.. and this was before the new 3 bunk trucks..it was a mess.. thankfully after about 5 days the other student decided trucking wasn't for him and quit leaving me with a more traditional training experience. By the time I got off his truck a month later I was comfortable in my ability to run solo if needed.

After upgrading to what they call phase 2 they put you into a team with a "Lead" who is someone with a month or two more experience then you. I most certainly did not enjoy this phase but I knew it was just a phase and soldiered on. Eventually I got a call for a dedicated account I applied to while in orientation.

I started on that account in July just over 4 months after being hired. And boy do I love it here. It's a solo position that is pretty much northeast only driving, mostly driving at night.

In fact I'm going to Boston tonight.

Anyhow i do consider myself an experienced driver at this point but I am always looking to learn! I also really like the positive atmosphere on this forum.. the amount of negative Nancy's around you all the time is just oppressive and this site is a beacon of light in the darkness. So thanks for that guys!

Stay safe out there! -Viking