Comments By Viking

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0929626001577819592-86004.jpg avatar
  • Viking
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  4 months ago

Crete idling

I'm with CR England, not Crete however we have a "no idle" policy.

Our trucks do NOT have APUs and will shut off after a few mins UNLESS it is OVER 73 degrees or UNDER 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

Therefore in the summer we idle, in the winter we have the bunk heater. Only in the spring/fall does it really suck when it's not quite hot enough to idle but still uncomfortably warm in the truck.

Posted:  4 months ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

Lovely day down in South Carolina.

0291589001586824076.jpg

Posted:  4 months ago

What are your preferred hours to run?

18:00 - 19:00 to 07:00 - 08:00.

On my usual account ( when the world isn't in a silly panic) I run almost exclusively in the Northeast on a dedicated Sysco account. Should go without saying why I prefer these hours. Haha.

The bonus to me is, I've always been a night owl anyway so my body likes this schedule as well.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Howdy folks and here's what troubles me about COVID 19

Personally I keep well over a week's worth of food/water on the truck at all times. Do all my cooking in the truck.

And that's before this craziness..

As for miles, they haven't changed, still 2500 - 3300 a week, but I have been hauling more hazmat then usual. Hazmat bonuses are nice! smile.gif

Cooking on the truck might seem hard unless you are just popping frozen goods in the 'wave. I can also see making cold sandwiches out of an ice chest. There seems to be limited space and no kitchen sink with running hot water, no stovetop, no barbecue grill, no range oven, no chest freezer, no cupboards and no dishwasher. I'm a germ freak. A truck is not a train, RV, yacht or a ship for living spaciousness. My impression was that drivers mostly ate in hearty hot SQUARE meals in restaurants, cafes and diners along the way with pretty waitresses' pouring coffee. Think "Mel's Diner" on the TV show ALICE from the '70's.

Limited space? Sure is.

No sink? Nope

No running water? Bottled water isn't just for drinking.

No stove, oven, grill, freezer chest? Sure there are, just have to supply your own that's either 12v or your inverter can run.

Cupboards? Plenty of cabinets and other creative storage solutions.

Dishwasher? Nope. Two options here. Bring your own and handwash in sinks at truckstops. ( No thanks) or use disposable silverware plates bowls.

I can supply myself with food for a week for 50 - 75$ at Walmart. Or.. I can spend about 20$ per meal at a sit down restaurant in a truck stop... assuming your not sleeping at a shipper/receiver/rest area. Which one makes more financial sense?

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Howdy folks and here's what troubles me about COVID 19

And that's before this craziness..

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Which companies have driver facing cameras?

As of 3/1/20 C.R. England has Outward facing cameras only. They do not record audio, but they do record telemetry data, including fuel pedal, brake pedal, speed and such.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

First few months trucker wife - am I overreacting?

Your husband should be looking for dedicated solo opportunities on the cre career path on his toolbox app. They open anywhere from 3 - 6 months experience usually and you can actually get on the wait list while waiting for your trainer.

Dedicated usually pays much better then OTR with England

Dedicated has more home time options.

Dedicated usually in my personal experience has better DMs.

Dedicated has Solo positions, which is the only way you can ride with him.

Source: Been with CRE for Two years. Been on a dedicated account for 1 year 8 months.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Passed cr England upgrade

Welcome aboard the England team.

Hope you get a good partner to to team with in phase 2.

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Safety question

Uhm.. in my honest opinion that isn't something you should just ignore and needs to be fixed properly. No matter the bump your air lines shouldn't detach..

As for your question your question about losing air on the highway? Hazards on first thing, and work your way safely to the shoulder. No jerky movements just smooth and controlled.

Posted:  7 months, 4 weeks ago

ELD Malfunction

Easy enough. What is the reg now for paper logs, seven days before your eld has to be back up and running? Not exactly sure so someone feel free to educate me or confirm please.

I believe it is actually a maximum of 8 days assuming you are using the 8 day / 70 cycle. And as previously stated you are also required to have your previous 8 days in paper, which can usually be emailed/ faxed to you from your companys logs dept.

Posted:  7 months, 4 weeks ago

What status should we use in stopped traffic?

One little thing I noticed in the explanations given here is the 30 min break is currently required after a maximum of 8hrs since you first went on duty ( aka pre trip) regardless of when you actually started driving. They are proposing to make it not start counting until you begin driving but that's only a proposal currently.

Posted:  8 months ago

2 incidents with 1 company and another with first company

Funny how all the "horror stories of England" are so popular yet.. I've been working for them for 2 years making good money and miles. embarrassed.gif

And with your record.. you don't really seem to have the luxury of being picky with who you work for, why should any company take a chance on investing in you when they can get someone who has ZERO incidents? At this point you should probably find a job that will take you and get yourself 2 to 3 years clean accident free driving before worrying about who your working for.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Bizarre Change of Opinion

Couldn't agree with you more Brett. 9.9 times out of 10 what ends my day is the 14 not the 11.

The point I was getting at is all the whiners calling ELDs the devil. But that 14hr rule was brought about way before ELDs.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Bizarre Change of Opinion

The most common complaint I see for ELDs is the "Stopwatch" thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but the actual HOS haven't changed since before the ELD mandate. The only thing the ELDs actually did was make it much more difficult (not impossible) to cheat and not follow the HOS. If anything the HOS are the problem not the ELD.

Im 100% with old school on this one. I too am able to consistently run 3k+ miles a week 100% legal under the current HOS. Time management is key. When it's work time, get to work.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Views From the Office Window (Post Yours Please!)

30 min break at PA welcome center, Tioga PA.

0045942001574944363.jpg

Posted:  9 months ago

HazMat test question...

Sorry... question may be Driver is responsible for displaying correct placards.

If the driver knows they are wrong can he just display them (his job) because the shipper provided them (and they are incorrect)?

I display "Flamable" knowing it is "Explosive"?

embarrassed.gif

Absolutely NOT!

And trust me, you do not want to see the ticket for an improperly placarded vehicle.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Dedicated

I'm currently on a dedicated account that "guarantees" 2000 mi a week.

In reality I run close to 3300 a week. The guarantee is usually just the minimum. Always room to run more.

Posted:  1 year ago

Hours of Service changes

As it is now the 30 is required within 8hrs of going on duty regardless of when you start actually driving. I like the proposed change to make it required within the first 8hrs of actual drivetime.

I'm all for it. Much needed flexibility. However I wouldn't get too excited because I doubt it would actually go into effect before 2021 and that's being optimistic imho.

Posted:  1 year ago

Time sure does fly when you're having fun!

At least your truck has the sleeper door, last time I had to move trucks I had the pleasure of moving everything in the passenger side door. That gets old fast.

Congrats on the shiny new ride.

Posted:  1 year ago

No idle laws

NY and MA for sure allow no exceptions.

I idle anyway. If I get a ticket, I will fight it. I can’t keave my pets or kids in the car so how can I be expected to sit in a truck all night with no AC?

And got those saying leave the windows down, yesterday it was in the low 70s, went out for an hour or two and left my truck windows open. Came back it was 85 in the sleeper.

Not to mention the security risk that comes with sleeping with the windows down...