Comments By Bart

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-mountains.jpg avatar
  • Bart
  • 9 years ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  7 years ago

I gotta know, current drivers that were prior US Navy????

GMM1 USS Long Beach, USS Halsey, USS Brooke

Job Corps...

Welcome to the forum Cory. I apologize to everyone on here that about the only time I post is when someone takes a dig around Swift but it gets in my craw and makes things hard to leave alone. Cory I have worked for Swift going on 2 yrs now and have had nothing but a great employment experience. I did not take their training but got my schooling thru WIA. I chose Swift after sitting at our local truck stop and seeing who had the most freight coming thru my small town in western Colorado. Hands down it was Swift. That told me they could probably get me home when I needed to be there. They do. I wasn't aware of the reputation they had on the road, didn't care then don't care now. Swift gives me a great truck and all the miles I can handle. In my FIRST year I made +- 40,000. I am on track for $50,000 this year if not better. You will hear the Veterans on here say don't listen to the negative crap you get on some of the other forums out there and they are correct. These mega-companies are MEGA for a reason. They know how to get and move freight. Which is good for us drivers. My first year was OTR then I was fortunate enough to get offered a spot on a dedicated route. It had a lesser CPM but I get to go home for my 34 hr reset and occasionally I will stop by home just to do my 10 hr break. Also I get extra stop pay (5 or 6 stops a day sometimes) plus short haul pay on the local runs and a quarterly bonus on miles I run. I run out of a small terminal at Walmart DC in northern Utah that has really nice facilities for us and terrific people to work with. We cover the Seattle area Boise Id. Up I to northern Montana over to New Mexico all over Utah, Las Vegas and occasionally down to So. Cal. For produce backhauls. These are some of the most beautiful areas of our country. So, if "you would even be willing to work for Swift" I reply you would be lucky if they were willing to let you work for them.

What is the weirdest/coolest/interesting Freight you have hauled?

I worked in a plastic injection factory before I started driving. Bart were you hauling for church and Dwight out of Chesterfield Virginia, they make the Trojan condoms and my dad worked for them as a mechanical engineer for many years.

Yep, Josh the very same Church and Dwight.

Best decision ive ever made...

The only guy to post before me is a Swift driver. Ironic, right???!!?? I'm a Swift driver also. We have more million, 2 million, 3 million and even one 4 million mile safe drivers than probably any Co. Out there.

Stop the hating and dissing. Especially new guys, you pick up on rumor, innuendo and internet and CB BS and run with it. It ****es me off that people take what they hear and not go out for themselves and see who has the safe miles and tons of freight and relies on BS to form an opinion. Do we have a lot of doofus and unsafe drivers? Yes!! But per capita we are one of the safest Cos. out here. End of rant That is all

How do I keep clean while on the road?

I get the "Big Wet Ones" from the health and beauty section in walmart. I always keep 1 canister in my refrig. It is cooling and cleansing at this time of year

What's In Your Tool Bag?

3 lb thumper, star wrench set asst of pliers and such. On the cooking side a select-a-blade kit is invaluable

You might be a trucker if......

If one minute you can't believe how much you miss your family and the next you wouldn't trade what you are doing for anything!

Central Oregon Trucking

COTC was awarded 2014 2015 "best fleets to drive for" if I were a flatbedder I would certainly consider them. Beautiful equipment also.

Swift drive cam

The camera has 2 lenses. 1 facing out and 1 facing in the cab. It records in 20 second loops and does not store them unless an event (hard brake, stability control) activates it. The driver also has the option of pushing a button on the cam to capture a 20 second loop if some fool does something stupid that may be dangerous. If the driver is the fool and does something stupid and dangerous it will also capture that 20 second loop. 10 seconds before the incident and 10 seconds after. I try not to act the fool when driving so like guyjax I am all for this new technology in my truck.

Swift drive cam

I have had my drive cam in for a week now and the sky hasn't fallen!

Great food places

Boise stage stop. I84 east of Boise. Can't recall exit# Got a perfectly cooked piece of roast beef the size of my head and all the trimmings for about $10.00. Good liver and onions too. I have to get that on the road cause Momma won't let me cook it at home😄

VIDEO: “If you’re driving 80 mph, how long does it take you to drive 80 miles?”

Cogito ergo dumb

SWIFT in cab cameras

I too drive for SWIFT. About all I can say to all this hoopla is "WOW". I'm not even sure if this will even have live feed capabilities. If it does, monitoring it would be the absolute most boring job on the planet. Go ahead and stick your camera in my truck as long as my pay is in the bank come Tuesday, what the hell do I care. It is after all thier truck. People need to get over themselves.

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

Piano player in a house of ill repute

Yep-It's Spring... Tornados are here

Not trucking related, but nothing beats a typhoon in the South China Sea on a U.S Navy warship. 3 Times. each more awesome than the last!!

Trucker Humor: Trucking Company Name Acronyms

Swift- swing wide it's a freaking trailer Prime- please remember I'm minimally experienced

Truck Drivers Road Music... favorite songs for favorite stretches of highway

I had to come 600 miles to Denver for winter simulator training ( why didn't they just come ride with me for half a day?). So I've got Segers " get out of Denver "all dialed up for my run out of here in the AM.

What is the weirdest/coolest/interesting Freight you have hauled?

38,000 lbs of condoms from Virginia to Pennsylvania. Guess there was a party in Pa!

Wow, didnt see that commin!

I am driving a Walmart grocery dedicated out of Corrine Utah. Took a load out yesterday with 2 stops here in Utah and 2 stops In Montana. Then had to pick up a load of potatoes in Idaho for a back haul.

So I get to my pick up in Rigby Idaho at noon and an older fellow drives up in a shiny car and tells me he just came back from lunch and could I put it in door 6. So I do. Go into the office and he says his crew is still at lunch and will load my asap at 1 pm. I tell him that's great, is there somewhere in walking distance to grab a bite to eat, he tells me no not really and then hands me the keys to his beautiful Buick Park Avenue Ultra and proceeds to give me directions to this little cafe in town!!!!

Now, I've had experiences with shippers, both good and bad, but I think my jaw actually hit the countertop! This guy doesn't know me from Adam and he gives me his keys!

I thank him and head into town following his suggestion for the diner. Nice pleasant place. Get a really good steak sandwich and when I go to pay the cashier tells me I get a 15% discount because "Craig" called and said I was one of "his".

Get back to the potato place and my load is ready, paperwork is done and he thanks ME!

Craig and Rocky Mountain Produce in Rigby Idaho get my vote for "Shipper of the Year"

Any similar stories?

Trouble on the backing range

Just remember, xceleration does not rule when going backwards!!

See what I did there?