Comments By Wild-Bill

• 1 year, 6 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Game: Word Association

Classic

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Thoughts on Forward facing cameras.

OS, I got to see Zig speak in person many years ago, it was an absolutely amazing experience. He is by far the most dynamic, engaging and entertaining speaker I’ve ever seen in my life. And I’ve seen a lot of them.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Thoughts on Forward facing cameras.

Donald, are you getting a bunch of video coaching events sent to you or are you just worried about it? I’ve been driving for Roehl for 6 months. My first month solo I had a few videos sent to me for various things. Now I almost never get them. Like Old School said they made me a better driver.

Following are some of the common things that will trigger the camera and how to avoid them. If you drive with the safe seven you were taught in GYCDL, you’ll virtually eliminate the videos.

Slow down & stay back- When the warning light comes on saying you’re too close. You need to get your following distance back. Just back off a bit and you’ll be fine.

Know Whats Happening- come to a full stop at all stop signs, watch for stale green lights.

Expect the expected, Yield to others and reduce the risk- hard brakes are most often a result of either not being aware (see above) or being too aggressive. Expect everyone around you to exhibit the worst possible driving behavior and react accordingly. That driver you see coming up on you fast will cut you off to get to the exit your approaching. Expect it and let it happen. Fight it and you’ll end up with a video sent to you.

Prepare to drive- Have your snacks, drinks, sunglasses, smokes and whatever else you need ready to go. Reaching around the cabin will cause a lane departure. Also, knowing your route and stopping points will help prevent hard brakes, stability alerts and all sorts of other bad things from last minute lane changes.

Hope that helps. If you are getting specific coaching events let us know and we can help. As I mentioned, as you get better the videos will go away. I honestly thing they’re not sent as a bad thing but as a way to help be a safer professional driver.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Are there any ever restrictions on carrying cordless power tools on company trucks?

I haven’t read your other post about safety but it’s now on my list of things to do. Should be entertaining.

I’m just curious, you say you’re concerned about the mess a can of wasp spray will make, but, your post talks about a chainsaw to take off limbs or someone’s head. Aren’t you a bit concerned at all about the mess of cleaning up severed limbs and the resultant blood spatter?

If you’re that worried, run a ratchet strap between the door handles at night, no one is getting in past that. But, as others have said. There are many, many, many more things to concern yourself about than having some random person enter your truck while you’re sleeping.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Who is more guilty

I’m sure other companies have the same thing but for us, a call or PC message are the same thing. Every call is recorded and voice to text transcribed and filed the same way messages are.

I was talking with my FM the other day and during the conversation she said something about sometime when we’re not on a recorded line I can tell you about that.

So, they know anything they say or write is recorded for posterity. As others have said. There’s more to this drivers story. No one is going to put themselves on the line verbally or in writing to tell a driver to violate HOS rules.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Pack-Rat, where are ya heading?

Sounds like we’ll miss each other. I’m leaving Peoria around 5. Thanks for the warning on construction. Seems like every city and town in America is torn up right now.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

RECENT CDL GRAD (GOT TERMINATED FOR VIOLATING COMPANY POLICY)

PJ were you in the infamous class that celebrated graduation a little too hard and almost all got sent home? They still talk about that in GYCDL.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Pack-Rat, where are ya heading?

Looks like you’re at the I-80 truck stop. I’m heading through Davenport in the morning on the way to Muscatine. And chance we’ll cross paths?

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Fighting the Trucking industry.

I’m glad you mentioned that Bobcat. I was reading this and the swift post and wondering when he was going to mention that he drove trucks in the army for seven years...

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Friday Short Haul - Love's requires masks, 10-million-mile driver, brake check blitz, and TuSimple truck incident

I’m really not trying to offend anyone but, I’d like to make a heartfelt plea that we stick with trucking truth and try to stay away from COVID opinions. I get it, there are strong feelings on both sides of the topic. Every time the topic is mentioned the conversation turns into a big echo chamber of noise back and forth and usually results in a whole bunch of finger pointing about who does and doesn’t get it.

You folks are experts on the trucking industry and I come here to get an edge on my career, and I value that advice. I also think my doctor is very good at what he does, but I wouldn’t think about asking him for advice on my trucking career. Just like I wouldn’t ask my mechanic for political advice.

If you read JRod’s original post it was a simple plea to wear a damn mask. There was absolutely nothing political about his original post though many read it as political because somehow dealing with a global pandemic has become a hot button political issue for both sides of the spectrum.

There are many things that are assaults on our personal liberties that people just take for granted. I personally think seatbelt laws are an assault on my personal liberties, but it’s the law and my company requires it. I think pants are uncomfortable and legally, I can walk around in my tighty whiteys without violating any public indecency laws, but most places have a no shirt no shoes no service policy and it’s just common decency to wear clothes. So, guess what, I buckle up my seatbelt, put on clothes and wear the damn mask because that’s what the companies I frequent ask me to do, even though I don’t want to do any of those things. Call me sheep if you want, but to get along in society (or a career) sometimes you need to do things you do t want to do.

I don’t recall ever seeing someone get into an argument at a store or restaurant about shoes or shirts being an attack on their liberties. Or arguing with a cop over seat belt use. Maybe I’m just not shopping at the right places.

Alright I started with a plea for restraint, and then couldn’t restrain myself. See how hard it is. Again, I’d like to see if we can call a moratorium on COVID responses going forward right after open season for anyone who wants to beat me up for my rant.

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

HOS - can I get there from here?

Yes, correct I already have a delivery appt and it was already a tight timeframe without the delay. I’ve been getting some pretty tight runs lately which is good.

I finally got loaded 4 hours later. I talked to the shipper and since they don’t have any more deliveries or shipments they agreed to let me finish out my break in the alley next to the building. So 6 hours of sleep and I can get rolling at 3:00 am tomorrow. That’ll give me enough time to run the remaining miles in the morning before my appointment.

Sometimes a little negotiating, some creative planning and a little luck can get the job done too.

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

HOS - can I get there from here?

Thanks for the speedy replies

Unfortunately can’t sleep at the shipper, I had thought about that as a possible solution. Should have mentioned it

I’ve only been here 2 hours it will probably only take another hour or so. So, not gonna be able to get 8 out of it.

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

Can recruiters be trusted?

I had a similar concern about trusting my recruiter starting out. I can tell you that everything she told me was accurate and what she told me would happen did. Everything From rate of pay, miles and even a need for time off for a preplaned vacation all came to pass just as I was told.

Recruiters are not in the business of telling fairytales

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

HOS - can I get there from here?

I have a dilemma, I’m trying to work through How I can make this load work.

Here’s my situation - I have a 714 mile run starting at 17:00 on 7/22 in Hillsboro, WI (about an hour NW of Madison) and ending in LaVergne TN (just S of Nashville) with a 6:00 appt on 7/24 I thought I could get a couple hundred miles done tonight and Get to the cons late on 7/23 for a morning appointment. However, the shipper is running late it’s now 18:30 CDT and I’m not in a door yet.

So, I have 3 hours left on my 14 and 5:40 left on my 11. Once I get loaded I’ll probable have an hour or less left to drive today. Is there someone out there smarter than me (not hard to do) That can help me figure out if it’s still possible to get there on time? I’m sure I can get 620 or more miles in tomorrow. Just not sure how to fit in the other 100 miles before 6:00. If I wind out my clock today and tomorrow I’ll be parked at 9:00 (ish) EDT and won’t be able to roll till 7:15 and still have the better part of two hours still to drive.

I’m not well versed on the 8/2 split can that help me here? Any other ideas?

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Backing practice - Store Deliveries

Both of those are ugly, packrats is just just devious. I’m gonna need a Boy Scout troupe worth of spotters, a pack mule, laser level, and two rolls of duct tape before I can even start. Seriously, who designs those things. Did you have to pull into the street to set up for a straight line past the parked trucks and oddest on the blind side for the dock? Or is there enough room to swing around in front of auto parts store?

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Good dry van company reccomendations

I’m sure there are a ton of good van companies out there. Swift, Prime, Roehl all come to mind. Use the application on this sight and you’ll have plenty of opportunities. The companies will be what you make of them. We have drivers from about every company out there on this site and they’ll all tell you how great their company is.

Roehl has a decent van fleet. I think the top end pay is .525CPM. It looks like we hire from Northern Florida. The van drivers are mostly drop and hook and they keep them moving. I have a friend in van division and he loves it. Also, refer pays a bit more (top end is .585 CPM). But refer is mostly east of I-35 for us. So, if you want to see the west, might not be for you.

If you decide to go that route please let me know so I can pick up a recruiting bonus (not sure if that’s allowed here)

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Well I screwed that up. Accident and lessons learned.

I’ve been thinking about wether to post this or not and finally decided maybe someone can learn from my error and some of the follow up conversations.

A few weeks ago, I was heading into a shipper to load early the next morning. It was late and very dark. Small town, no lights. I pulled into what I thought was the truck entrance and noticed there was a truck in a door facing into the entrance that would make the turn in very tight. As soon as I pulled into the driveway, I had that feeling in my gut telling me to back out, pull around and find a better way in or a safer place to park until I can see it in the daylight. (I should know by now to always listen to that voice) I made it as wide as I could but it was like doing a tight u turn off the street. I knew the trailer was going to track onto the lawn but Being late, tired and stupid, I made the turn anyway. What I didn’t see was the sign.

I got parked in back and shut down for the evening. On my walk around I noticed my trailer had a wavy section on the bottom rail. I thought since many of the trailers I pick up have some damage that surely that was there earlier and I just hadn’t noticed it earlier. Wrong! In the morning as I walked to the Shipping office I noticed my tracks in the lawn, and the poor sign that I flattened.

After calling it in, I was set up for a DSE (driver safety evaluation) at a terminal. It’s basically going through a close quarters course with an instructor to make sure I can handle the truck, GOAL appropriately, have good situational awareness etc. the course was pretty tough and I picked up a few pointers from the feedback.

The interesting thing to me was that as soon as the instructor got into my truck he told me “I looked over your file and I can tell that you’re a good driver from your communication. I know you’ll do well, just relax and let’s get through it.” I thought, now what in the world does my communication have to do with my ability to drive. Later it dawned on me that it probably wasn’t so much that it shows proficiency behind the wheel, but a good driver as in good attitude, on time, not complaining etc,

When my FM called for feedback on the DSE, I mentioned the “good driver” comment and she said there’s a good deal of truth to that. Communication both good and bad shows up in a persons driving behavior and visa versa.

Consequences were that I’ll lose my 1cpm safety bonus for 90 days and I’ll miss out on a 9cpm performance increase for next quarter that I was really looking forward to. That’ll be about $3k of income for the quarter which hurts but I get it. No PIP or probation period.

I’m very disappointed that I blew a solid rookie year with a stupid decision. I’ll pay more attention to that gut feeling. A short walk with a flashlight would have saved a lot of time aggravation and money. I’m glad though that a good attitude and strong work ethic helps smooth over a bad decision. Nearly every post here talks about a performance based business and I think overall I may have got off a little easier than some might have because of decent performance a good attitude and building relationships.

As a side note and update, the accident hasn’t impacted the loads I’m getting. I’ve been getting much better loads with tight delivery windows. I’m on my third consecutive 1200+ mile run on this outing and all of them have had barely enough time on them. I’m winding out my clock and having to get creative at times to be on time. It seems like they trust me to get the job done and keep rolling.

My FM even got me an extra 550 mile run on the Fourth of July when she saw I was going to have some down time. That’s the way I like it. I no longer have to ask for extra. She just loads me up when she sees any sort of down time. I called to say thanks the other day and she said “the better you are, the better I can be” She is pushing back on the planners to keep me moving. Thats teamwork. It took a while to build the relationship but it’s paying off. Hopefully staying busy like this will offset the loss of CPM increase for the quarter.

Posted:  10 months ago

Brand New CDL.............TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!! 🎉

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gif

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

How is your year going?

I went solo sometime in February so, This will be my first full quarter solo. What with the low starting CPM and training pay for January, the first half pay doesn’t look great. I should get a nice raise and a little bonus after this quarter is over. I’m learning the job and earning the trust and respect of my FM so, hopefully that will start to pay off in the back half of the year.

Here are my stats so far.

0376047001592082098.jpg

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Congsingnee refusing nonfood pallets what to do?

The only logical thing is to contact your dispatch/FM/DM or whatever your company calls it BEFORE you leave the cons. We have a team that specifically works on overage and shortage and damaged issues. As a company driver that decision would be “above my pay grade” and after many years of management I think I like it that way.

Let them work it out with customer service, the shipper and cons.

Let us know the results. I’d be curious to find out how it worked out.