Comments By Phil C.

https://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr297/Tugarol/12032018_399941083535179_6300129813194294259_n.jpg avatar
  • Phil C.
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 years ago

Does my friend need a class A cdl or any cdl?

Is there something keeping him from getting his CDL? The written tests are a walk in the park with the help of the High Road on this site. He obviously has the skills to drive. He just needs to pass the Driving, Backing and Pre-Trip at the DMV and he is good to go. If he gets busted for driving without a CDL, it could cause some real problems for him, as well as some real difficulty in obtaining his CDL after the fact. Just my$.02

He would have to take said tests in a vehicle which requires a cdl, which he doesn't have.

Posted:  3 years ago

Does my friend need a class A cdl or any cdl?

So if his trailers GVWR is at 10k and he is using a non CDL straight truck he is fine? but if its at 14k he needs a CDL? Is it true that he needs one if he starts hauling for profit for other people with the same setup?

Hauling for profit or not has nothing to do with it. Its all about the gvwr of the truck and trailer as the persian conversion defined it.

Posted:  3 years ago

TSA Approval, how long to take hazmat?>

Hey Drivers n future Drivers

I got my Approval letter from the TSA for my hazmat, was just curious if anyone new how long it is valid for? I thought was 180 days from the date, but I can't find the page to confirm.

I noticed that TMC requires Hazmat, passport and twic 30 days after employment, wanna get these taken care of before I continue on with them.

Thanks

David

Your TSA threat assessment is good for 5 years. Your DMV can access it without the letter through their state portal, but you may need the actual letter for the first time. You can obtain a new letter at any time as long as your threat assessment is current. So there is no time limit on the letter just the time limit on the threat assessment itself.

Posted:  3 years ago

Gaming and internet help on the road

Reading comprehension is your friend. " But I've only had 1 34 hour reset in 3 months that was not at home." In other words, all his resets have been at home except for one. Not he has only ever had one reset.

Posted:  3 years ago

Pre-trip electrical trailer brake inspection

On smaller trucks with trailers with electric brakes there is a brake controller located in the cab, usually under the left side of the dash, there is a sliding control that you would use to manually engage just the trailer brakes. There is also a dial to set the amount of brakes on the trailer for loaded vs empty. There is also a safety device that is like a cable that will lock the trailer brakes. When you do the tug test it is testing the spring brakes on an air brake system when the system is depleted of air, in your case the tractor. To tug test an electric brake trailer you would need to either set the dial high and manually engage the trailer brakes with the slider then tug, OR, pull the safety cable then get in the cab and tug. Im guessing here because I have only driven large gooseneck trailers pulled by a pickup that had electric brakes on the trailer. So take it for what you will.

Posted:  3 years ago

Can you take your cdl test in any state?

It may have changed but I had to prove residency in New Mexico to get mine, whereas a year later Arizona didn't even ask. Now in Missouri I had to prove residency again. So it may vary state to state, but I think you have to have to have your CDL in the state you're living in and you have 30 days to obtain a new one in a new state you move to.

Portable generator question.

If you haul ANY amount of a flammable liquid, like gasoline, on a CMV, you are subject to Hazmat rules. It must be in a DOT approved can not more than 8 gallons, those cans are pricey too. Just be aware if you have a little plastic gas can on a CMV, you could be in trouble if they really wanted to push it, the fines are quite steep.

Posted:  3 years ago

Getting into trucking with bad mvr?

You will most likely need 3-7 years accident free depending on the company. Two accidents and two tickets in the same year is a big red flag.

History of DWIs and getting employed

Aslo here: "(3) A holder of a CLP or CDL is subject to disqualification sanctions designated in paragraphs (b)" So when it says "holder" that is one who already has a cdl. If it were relevant to the OP's case it would say "applicant", and not "holder".

History of DWIs and getting employed

The disqualifications listed in the link above are relevant only to drivers who have a cdl already. If you have never had a cdl you can get one with 3 dui's. However it will be tough to get a job especially OTR, but it is not impossible This is the relevant text: "any combination of offenses in this Table while operating a non-CMV, a CLP or CDL holder must be disqualified from operating a CMV for * * *" So if you use your best reading comprehension it is talking about someone who already has a cdl or clp, not someone who is trying to get their first CDL. The person who said go to your DMV is correct.

Throwing Chains

Bailing wire them its a good temp fix

Posted:  3 years ago

Am I the slowest truck on the road when hauling 40k lb load??

I use the jake brake on low when climbing and shifting, it drops the rpm fast so you can shift sooner rather than wait for the engine to spool down normally. Phil

Posted:  3 years ago

"Obey the Sign or Pay the Fine"

WHOA, DUTCH!!

When you mentioned "medical card", I realized that mine was in a box of old paperwork that I had removed from the truck! Fortunately, I am home today, and the card it now in my purse.

You may have saved my butt big time! THANKS!!

"As of January 30, 2015, Class A, B, or C commercial drivers which certify as “non-exempted interstate” drivers are no longer required to carry their Medical Examiner Certificate in their possession."

Posted:  3 years ago

"Obey the Sign or Pay the Fine"

I remember a recent post where people were defending the "9 is fine 10 your mine" supposed buffer. My response was...there is no buffer. People above claiming its all about the money are mistaken. Its about safety. It probably costs the town money to write low violation speeding tickets. Most fines for speeding 1-10 the ticket is $30 bucks. However, if you fight it and go to court you could add $188.00. Add to that the cost your insurance will go up, and I don't really agree with the article I will link here, its for full coverage insurance, and you could end up paying something like $1800 for that speeding ticket in the long run. But that makes the insurance company money, so lets ignore that since the posts above are talking about the government making money by enforcing the speed limits.

So if you factor in wages and fuel and other costs for the officer, paperwork processing costs, equipment costs like computers and radar guns, they (the government) are losing money. If you go to court the money you spend there goes to paying the courts wages, processing, equipment, building and utility costs and etc. So just how much do you really think they are making off a speeding ticket and what do they do with that money?

The reason they enforce speed limits does have to do with money, but not in the way you think. When speed limits are not enforced, people tend to speed more and more. And then you get accidents. Accidents are what really costs the city government a lot. You have police response, fire department response, DOT response for signs and such, ambulance response, towing and clean up. So its not speeding tickets that make money, its speed limit enforcement that saves money. Its about keeping people safe and keeping traffic moving. How many traffic jams are caused by speed related accidents? My guess is its quite a lot, perhaps 90%.

So personally I like speed enforcement. We are professional drivers, we (should) obey all traffic signs and laws. We should realize that safety is the number one priority. We should plan our trips so we don't have to speed. IF you drive 500 miles at the speed limit of 65 it takes you about 7.7 hours. IF you speed and go 70mph the same 500 miles takes you 7.15 hours. So by taking unnecessary risk and speeding, you save half an hour. Half an hour at 65mph is 32.5 miles. Say you make $.40 per mile. $.40 x 32.5 = $13.00. So by speeding and taking all the risks associated with it you make an extra $13 that day. For me that is simply not worth the increased risk that comes with increased speed. More accidents = more rules and regulations, like we don't have enough already. It also costs more fuel to go that 5mph faster, so you lose your fuel economy bonus.

So My opinion, and that's all it is just like everyone else posting here, is that speeding, especially in your semi, is a lose lose lose situation. The risks and negative factors far outweigh the $13 you might make, and your driving record will be permanently affected, which affect your hire-ability, your insurance, your reputation, all of that. IS it really worth it? In my mind, no, no its not.

Phil

Phil, I completely understand your point. Speeding is unnecessary and dangerous. BUT...... 1 or 2 MPH over the limit is simply a money grab. There is no such thing as a $30.00 speeding ticket in Arizona where I live. $250.00 and up. If a State or Municipality is going to state a zero tolerance policy on speeding, even 66 in a 65, that is a money grab pure and simple. If you try to go to court and fight it, with that policy in place, the Judge will slap you down. Points on your license, big fine, done. I'm Sorry, that is just not right. My RANT is over, you may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Actually in Arizona, where I am from, 1-10 mph is only a $15 fine, over 10mph over the limit is the $250 fine. Since we were talking about the 1-10mph fine my previous statement stands as true.

CDL School Update and Offset Backing Question

Practice practice practice. Also if your having a problem with which way the trailer is turning, try this. Put your hands on the bottom of the wheel. When your hands are on top you turn the wheel the opposite way the trailer goes. But when your hands are on the bottom of the steering wheel, you turn the wheel the same way you want your trailer to go. Another tip is to always go slow backing, just idle along, but keep it moving. By the time you think you should correct to straighten out again you probably are too late, so try and anticipate it. Use both mirrors, and spot mirrors. Try to imagine the trailer tires pulling you into the spot instead of you pushing them. Just some tips that helped me but its really just a matter of keeping calm and practicing. Also watch other students and learn from their mistakes.

Posted:  3 years ago

Declined by Prime Trucking School...

Hi, first time posting on here. After a long bout of unemployment (if you don't have a CDL in western Oklahoma you aren't working apparently), I've decided I needed to make a change in my life. I've always loved trucks...being around them, watching them on the roads, etc. so I'm resolved to see if I have the right stuff to join in.

Unfortunately, as I stated before I've been unemployed since last August, other than a few odd jobs here and there. Money is scarce, almost non-existent. I did some research (mainly on this site) and Prime seems like a fine company to work for. I sent in an application for their trucking school (I already have my CDL permit). This morning, a recruiter called and said they were declining due to my work history. What confuses me is I don't have a history of hopping from job to job...the last job I had I was there for almost 4 years. Ive never quit a job either (layoffs and company restructuring got me). Is this something that other companies will say as well? It's pretty frustrating.

I've contacted Swift, and a local trucking school as well (American Trucking School in Oklahoma City). I'm determined to make this change, but it's not gonna be easy it seems.

Any gaps in your work history must be filled in. If you were on unemployment you must show exact dates and have some way to prove it like pay stubs or tax forms or something. Talk to the recruiter about what specifically is the problem and work to fix it. You can still be approved, dont give up, most companies want a 10 year work history and any gaps in employment must be verified somehow. Get a letter from the people who hired you for odd jobs, use exact dates the timeline must be accurate.

Posted:  3 years ago

High Road Training Program?

You need Combination vehicles, air brakes and general knowledge tests to get your permit. When you are consistently getting 100% on the practice tests here you are ready to go take the tests at the dmv.

Posted:  3 years ago

"Obey the Sign or Pay the Fine"

Forgot link: NC speeding costs

Posted:  3 years ago

"Obey the Sign or Pay the Fine"

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Living in one state and having a cdl from another state.

Best answer is above ^^^, you have to get your cdl in your state of residence within 30 days of moving there, because its also your car license.