TruckingTruth logo

My training diary with prime inc. Paul F.

Topic 19116 | Page 2

Page 2 of 7 Previous Page Next Page Go To Page:
Paul F. 's Comment
member avatar

38 hours. I've never been on a greyhound before. It seems I have an adventure before me. I have plenty to read, and I'm blessed with the ability to sleep anywhere. I understand there is wifi on the busses, and power so I can access via an app, all my dish network TV and dvr stuff as well as Netflix. And music. I just hope I don't have to take the Browns to the Super Bowl on the bus, or in the station lol.

James F.'s Comment
member avatar

Pete

When and where will you be going to training? I will be leaving on 15 of May going to SLC.

Paul F. 's Comment
member avatar

James, I'm going to Springfield MO. I'll be there Sunday about 5 am with a whole day to decompress from my bus ride before starting orientation. I'm packing tonight 2 days early to make sure I'll have room in my 1 duffel for all my 💩

Paul F. 's Comment
member avatar

I know it doesn't sound like much but I'm conditioning myself to read every sign I see, even while in my car, and today I drove over a railroad track that I've driven over countless times before and for the first time I saw the "exempt" sign , and I knew what it meant.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Kori M.'s Comment
member avatar

That's actually a great thing to do. That was a hard part for me getting used to reading all the signs. I wasn't used to it. So that's wonderful that you are doing that to get used to it. And that awesome you get to prime so early on Sunday. That extra time will come in clutch the first day. It's a long one and everyone is exhausted from the trip.

I know it doesn't sound like much but I'm conditioning myself to read every sign I see, even while in my car, and today I drove over a railroad track that I've driven over countless times before and for the first time I saw the "exempt" sign , and I knew what it meant.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Paul F. 's Comment
member avatar

So I'm Lying in bed 2am NY time, packed 95% ready to board the bus tomorrow evening. I'll fall asleep after a bit of poker. I'm excited to start training and worried as well. I've heard there is as much as 80% attrition (failure) in the first year, I have high confidence in my chances of being in the 20%. I did have a conversation with a friend of my cousin, who is an experienced driver. He has been a company driver, as well as an owner operator , and he did not have particularly kind things to say about prime, other big carriers, the police, the DOT , and dispatchers. He sounded legitimate, and convincing, and has gotten me worried a bit, but not discouraged. I'm going to chalk it up to him being a "terminal rat". He told me the $$ would be awful the first year. DUH! I'll be training for a bit for low pay, and inexperienced as well, so I'll make mistakes, THAT I'LL LEARN FROM, and also the way I see it is prime is doing this to make money for themselves, and have taken a chance on a totally wet behind the ears guy like me. They're not going to make me a billionaire but will pay me fairly, and still recoup some of the training expenses. They will Also supply me with a truck to drive. 150-200k (mostly a guess). The would not be able to hire anyone if the business failed because they were foolish. Also if they treated the drivers as poorly as this guy suggested, why would anyone want to work for them. I've been a restaurant manager for 20 + years, and I've learned that people do NOT quit companies, people quit people. If thief boss treats them like 💩, they won't hang around for very long.

Sorry everyone. I'm in an overtired, over stimulated, state of rambeling incorherely.

Goodbye for now.

Terminal:

A facility where trucking companies operate out of, or their "home base" if you will. A lot of major companies have multiple terminals around the country which usually consist of the main office building, a drop lot for trailers, and sometimes a repair shop and wash facilities.

Owner Operator:

An owner-operator is a driver who either owns or leases the truck they are driving. A self-employed driver.

DOT:

Department Of Transportation

A department of the federal executive branch responsible for the national highways and for railroad and airline safety. It also manages Amtrak, the national railroad system, and the Coast Guard.

State and Federal DOT Officers are responsible for commercial vehicle enforcement. "The truck police" you could call them.

Dispatcher:

Dispatcher, Fleet Manager, Driver Manager

The primary person a driver communicates with at his/her company. A dispatcher can play many roles, depending on the company's structure. Dispatchers may assign freight, file requests for home time, relay messages between the driver and management, inform customer service of any delays, change appointment times, and report information to the load planners.
Paul F. 's Comment
member avatar

I'm on the bus. !!

Kori M.'s Comment
member avatar

Woooo have fun! Hopefully you find someone else on there headed here it helps the time go by. I'm here right now heading out in a couple hours to finish this load. Will be back in about a week and a half to upgrade.

Paul F. 's Comment
member avatar

They lost my bag, I got nothing!

Paul F. 's Comment
member avatar

In Springfield now. Start orientation tomorrow. AND they found and returned my bag. Woot woot!!!

Page 2 of 7 Previous Page Next Page Go To Page:

New Reply:

New! Check out our help videos for a better understanding of our forum features

Bold
Italic
Underline
Quote
Photo
Link
Smiley
Links On TruckingTruth


example: TruckingTruth Homepage



example: http://www.truckingtruth.com
Submit
Cancel

Need help? We have instructions for sharing photos from photo sharing sites



example: http://www.truckingtruth.com/images/header.jpg
Submit
Cancel

Click on any of the buttons below to insert a link to that section of TruckingTruth:

Getting Started In Trucking High Road Training Program Company-Sponsored Training Programs Apply For Company-Sponsored Training Truck Driver's Career Guide Choosing A School Choosing A Company Truck Driving Schools Truck Driving Jobs Apply For Truck Driving Jobs DOT Physical Drug Testing Items To Pack Pre-Hire Letters CDL Practice Tests Trucking Company Reviews Brett's Book Leasing A Truck Pre-Trip Inspection Learn The Logbook Rules Sleep Apnea
Done
Done

0 characters so far - 5,500 maximum allowed.
Submit Preview

Preview:

Submit
Cancel

Join Us!

We have an awesome set of tools that will help you understand the trucking industry and prepare for a great start to your trucking career. Not only that, but everything we offer here at TruckingTruth is 100% free - no strings attached! Sign up now and get instant access to our member's section:
High Road Training Program Logo
  • The High Road Training Program
  • The High Road Article Series
  • The Friendliest Trucker's Forum Ever!
  • Email Updates When New Articles Are Posted

About Us

TruckingTruth was founded by Brett Aquila (that's me!), a 15 year truck driving veteran, in January 2007. After 15 years on the road I wanted to help people understand the trucking industry and everything that came with the career and lifestyle of an over the road trucker. We'll help you make the right choices and prepare for a great start to your trucking career.

Read More

Becoming A Truck Driver

Becoming A Truck Driver is a dream we've all pondered at some point in our lives. We've all wondered if the adventure and challenges of life on the open road would suit us better than the ordinary day to day lives we've always known. At TruckingTruth we'll help you decide if trucking is right for you and help you get your career off to a great start.

Learn More