Profile For Garrett J.

Garrett J.'s Info

Riverside, CA

Company Driver In Training

5 months, 2 weeks ago

Garrett J.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 month ago

Pay Rate on Driver's Pay Stubs?

I was, for 2 years up until March 2021. Funny thing, I quit because at that .34 cpm I was maxed out. A month after I left they called me offering me .51cpm to come back. I politely declined as I am making more than that plus have an inverter and APU/EPU in my truck with my current company. Point being, you hear a lot of crap about Western Express but I had a really good experience with them and had they offered. 51 before I left I'd probably still be there.

My recruiter told me I start at .34 solo then get a raise every month till I'm maxed at .50 in 5 months... but that's just a recruiter talking. Every company driver I talk to cant give me a definitive answer and none even know how much they're making because Western stopped divulging cpm on pay stubs earlier this year right around the time they started promising a "pay increase". Hmmm...not suspicious at all.

Its quite frustrating how non-transparent this company is. But oh well, Im just a total newbie looking to get my foot in the door and get experience so I'll stop complaining. They seem to strive to work with those like me who are completely foreign to this industry.

Everything is going ok so far and I have a great trainer.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Pay Rate on Driver's Pay Stubs?

Unless they've changed it since March of 2021 they indeed DO put the CPM on the check. It was probably a lease purchase driver you talked to. They get paid by the load so there is no cpm listed on their checks.

I've been hired by Western Express and should be starting either Monday or Tuesday. However, I was speaking to a current driver at the yard and he told me that drivers' pay stubs there don't include the pay rate/cpm. Only miles driven for each load, total pay for each load, and grand total payout for the week are disclosed.

Is this abnormal? I suppose you could roughly figure out your pay rate with the information given, but still... just curious.

0982603001629077962.jpg

Interesting...

He may have been a lease-purchase driver. All he told me was he was on his 2nd solo month. I'm going to try to get a definitive answer to this when I'm at the yard tomorrow.

Are you with Western, Mikey?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Pay Rate on Driver's Pay Stubs?

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

At-fault accident in personal vehicle grounds for disqualification?

I should re-phrase that...

I mean I hope I'll be busy enough being BASED out of socal.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

At-fault accident in personal vehicle grounds for disqualification?

Garrett, I did start my career at Western Express. My choices ended up being limited. There came a critical realization during the beginning of my trucking career where I determined it wasn't so important who I chose to start with. What became important was that whoever I chose reciprocated with my choice. Western Express did just that - they chose me. I got a great start to my career and I learned a great deal while working for them.

Truck drivers determine their own destiny. This career is completely performance based. The name of the company has no effect on what you can accomplish. That part is on you. Take your responsibility seriously and execute your tasks diligently. There’s not a company name out there that can do those things for you. Make your own mark out here. Don’t rely on names or reputations. None of it will matter when you are out here on your own.

Most people worry themselves excessively over what they think is their critical decision concerning which company to start with. It really is not a very important decision. Far more important is the decision of how you will conduct yourself as a rookie. You can build your own foundation for a great career at just about any trucking company that hires rookies. It would be far better for people to ignore all the chatter online concerning these companies that hire rookies. Most rookies that post those ridiculous online reviews and comments about "starter companies" don't have a clue about what makes for success at this career. They look for the company to be responsible for their success. You simply cannot do that in this business. You will be the only one who is accountable for your success or failure.

I am proud of the time I spent at Western Express. I learned a great deal about how to succeed at trucking. None of that was taught to me by them, but rather by the way I approached the career. Every time there was an issue, I worked on finding a solution. I never reacted with the knee-jerk reaction that says my company was a bad place to start. That is the current train of thought, and it is as bogus as it is irresponsible. It only leads people to jump from one company to the other without ever learning how to be successful at trucking. Get started somewhere that will take you and then prove to yourself and to them that you are capable of handling this job like a professional. That is the best way to get started. The company name is irrelevant.

Very wise words...

I was starting to suspect a lot of the truths you mentioned there. Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

Got orientation with WE on Monday...wish me luck!

My only concern is that I want to do OTR flatbed but my recruiter said I'll be starting in dry van for a few weeks then they'll route me Nashville to do their securement training and switch to flatbed. Just hoping I can really take his word on that...cuz flatbed is probably the biggest draw WE has for me. Also I hope I'll be busy enough/be getting enough loads doing flatbed here in Southern California... It seems most, if not all of their flatbed business is East of the Mississippi. I just hope my location doesn't turn out to be detrimental to having a steady work flow.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

At-fault accident in personal vehicle grounds for disqualification?

Hey Anne,

My application with them actually expired, but all I gotta do is submit another one. Its no issue. My recruiter is still desperately trying to reel me in.

I am heavily debating Schneider and Knight though. Only issue with them is I may not pass the hair drug test... I just got a hair test on my own accord to see if I'd pass. Schneider said if I fail the hair test they report it to the ol drug n alcohol clearinghouse.

I know..Im terrible.

I appreciate you still being interested in my progress though. Ill keep you updated. I feel I should just suck it up and go with Western though. One thing that worries me about them is that their website is literally nothing but a job advertisement though.

Prime actually sent me home because I failed their virtual driving evaluation of all things...

I just got sent home. It was inevitable, I screwed up in several ways. Basically set myself up for failure. Oh well, live and learn.

I could still get on board with Western Express. I have 8 days to decide. Spoke to my recruiter and he said starting cpm is 51 for dry van and 54 for flatbed. I find that hard to believe though- there must be a catch.

Im considering putting this whole truck driving thing on the back-burner for the moment though and re-evaluating things once I'm in a better place.

Thank you all so much for the support and help over the past few months. I would've been very lost, aimless and discouraged without all the help and insights with something so new and unfamiliar to me.

Haya, Garrett;

Did you go ahead & decide to go with Western this week?

Still wishing you well~

~ Anne ~

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

At-fault accident in personal vehicle grounds for disqualification?

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

At-fault accident in personal vehicle grounds for disqualification?

At orientation for Prime today I took the honest route and put on my paper application that I recently (in the past year) had an at-fault accident in my personal vehicle. This is the only accident I've ever had in 12 years of having a license, but it happened when I had my class A. I feel like I might have just screwed myself and I'm really bummed... but I just figured I should be honest- based off things I've heard of recruits being sent home for not being honest about their driving record. Does anybody know what Prime's specific policy regarding similar situations is? Am I going to be sent home?Apologies if the info is already on the site somewhere, but I have yet to find it after much searching.

Posted:  2 months ago

Prime's physical test for flatbed division

Garrett, did they not test you be fore you get to training? Seems silly that they would pay for someones travel and wait until they are there to test when every city in this nation has labs.

Anyway physical test info is useful as I just signed up with Prime Flatbed. My trining is set to begin August 2nd?

Thanks

Yes, I did a urine test in my home state last week. Although its unlikely, doesn't mean they won't hair test once you get there, right? They could just make you pay back what they reimbursed you for travel.

Posted:  2 months ago

Coming to Prime as a C-seat

So, I thought I would include everyone in the process as it stands right now if you come to Prime as a C seat. Which means with a CDL but with little to no experience.

I got my CDL with a DOR Skills Test Waiver. Basically, I drove trucks in the Army for 12 years and I qualified for this program. I took the written tests and paid $100 to get my CDL A.

I came to orientation as a C seat so everyone who had their CDL already were separated from those going into PSD.

The first day we had some introductions, paper application and general rules and pay info. Then we got bussed over to the main terminal for a DOT physical. We did our file review after lunch. After that we were free to go to our rooms or classrooms to complete the CBTs. I completed mine that day.

The second day we did a driving simulator evaluation. Very easy. Just watch the signs. Then we took a logs class and automated transmission class. I also did the flatbed agility test which consisted of lifting a tarp off the ground, putting it on a 6 foot shelf and then putting it back down.

The third day we had our clearing meeting and got our badges and benefits info. It’s worth mentioning that as a C seat the requirement is 40,000 truck miles before you can upgrade. Apparently that changes from time to time.

They found a trainer for me the second day so I was already in contact with him. He’s from my area and we know some of the same people. We left out for Oregon with my first load the next day. Which brings me to my current situation. Stuck at a truck stop in Indiana waiting on my appointment time to drop my second load. Oh well…

Did they not have you do a "preliminary driving skills evaluation" since you already had 12 years' Army experience?

Posted:  2 months ago

Coming to Prime as a C-seat

If that is a policy I haven’t been made aware of it. One of the Prime veterans might know better. I drive mostly during the day but that’s because that’s what works best for my trainer and I. He’s training me but it’s still a team drive so we have to do what’s best for the team.

Gotcha. Yeah I'm just hoping I don't go straight into the night shift right off the bat... that would be pretty rough.

Did they give you a hair follicle test by chance? I took a couple puffs about 7 months ago and I stupidly put that I used an illegal drug in the past two years on my med card, so I'm stressing hard that they might hair test me. I know I would pass a urine test though.

Posted:  2 months ago

Coming to Prime as a C-seat

Congrats! If all goes well I'll be starting flatbed TNT next week.

I've heard its against their company policy to have the trainee drive nights? Is that true? Because I've also heard that most trainers make their trainees drive the night shift.

Posted:  2 months ago

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

Most of your reasoning is not based on reality.

In theory, flatbed would get fewer miles because of the securement. However, and if Kearsey jumps in, she can verify this, but, on average, you spend a lot longer waiting at the shipper and receiver with reefer than it does to take me even my longest securement.

As far as busy or slow season, if you look at the DAT load boards flatbed ALWAYS has more loads per available track in any other division. And it completely went off the charts during the covid pandemic. So, while there is a supposed Slow season in the winterhave never slowed down in the past year at all in any way shape or form.

Hey Chief... would you say you averaged about 5000 miles a week during your flatbed training?

Posted:  2 months ago

Prime's physical test for flatbed division

I started my driving career as a flatbedder at Prime.

Picking up a box that weighs 100 lbs and lifting it to your chest

Yes, a weighted milk crate, but it wasn't 100lbs. More like 50lbs, if that. Nothing to worry about, females do it too.

taking a rolled tarp off a 6 ft shelf, putting it on the ground, then putting it back on the shelf?

Yes, but the shelf is only around 4'6, the same height as a flatbed deck.

How much does the tarp weigh?

I can't remember exactly, but I recall it being 60-70lbs. With proper lifting technique it isn't a problem. The trick is in keeping the momentum of the lift all the way up to the deck. Firmly grab the sides of the tarp, lift with your legs, and then use one knee or the other to assist your arms for the remaining boost up to the deck. All one motion. It's all about the momentum.

The agility test isn't as much about testing your strength as it is to see if you're using safe lifting techniques to avoid injury.

Thanks for all that Turtle, I'm honored you replied. Its been a pleasure reading your training diary.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Prime's physical test for flatbed division

I did the agility test last week and am now on TNT. It’s separate from the DOT physical. All they made us do was pick up a tarp and put it on a shelf then take it back down. No box lifting or anything else. Everyone did it no problem. Hope this helps.

Yes, thank you. Definitely helps.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Prime's physical test for flatbed division

I started my driving career as a flatbedder at Prime.

Picking up a box that weighs 100 lbs and lifting it to your chest

Yes, but the shelf is only around 4'6, the same height as a flatbed deck.

How much does the tarp weigh?

Yeah I read somewhere on here that its 100 lbs. I had a feeling that was pretty excessive.

Thanks for your response Turtle! I'm honored

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

I also keep feeling a strange pull to at least try flatbeds. I'm nowhere near enough experience though yet.

Are experienced drivers saying you want to get decent experience in dry van or refer before trying flatbed? Or is that just your personal feeling? Or a combination of both?

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Prime's physical test for flatbed division

Are they currently doing hair follicle tests?

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

Most of your reasoning is not based on reality.

Good to know... interesting too. Thanks for that Chief.

Hey, on a really unrelated note... this scary scenario just popped into my head: driving for 10 hours in almost total silence.

For the vast majority of TNT, you're driving while your trainer's back there sleeping- then you trade, correct? So since one person is always sleeping (or trying to) the driver cant play music/podcasts/audiobooks/whatever though the speakers. Can you listen with your headset?

I'm a musician and music is a pretty big deal for me. Not being able to listen to anything while driving for about 10 hours sounds pretty unpleasant.

Not asking Chief in particular, asking anybody. Didn't want to start a brand new topic for such an insignificant topic, so I figured I'd just ask here.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

Best to err on the side of caution, instead of throwing it to the wind.

Yep, my thinking exactly.

Yes, already got my class A. Went to a private school.

Prime does $1400 in tuition reimbursement as long as you get to orientation within 45 days of getting your license. Unfortunately, looks like I wont be making the deadline. :(

WE does up to $6000 in tuition reimbursement. Pretty badass huh