Profile For PorkChop

PorkChop's Info

Oakland Park, FL

Experienced Driver

4 years, 3 months ago

PorkChop's Bio

My entire life has been spent perfecting my skills as a Mechanical Engineering Designer. I've designed and developed everything from simplistic inspection gauges used on production lines and in Quality Control departments to complex, automated production line machinery used in the manufacture of implantable medical devices (think stents and angioplasty). Most recently, I was heavily involved with the design and manufacture of new, light-weight, ballistic protection panels used in rotary wing aircraft deployed in various "sandy" locations around the world. It was a 9-5 office job which meant I was actually working 6am to 8pm in the office and 2 more hours at home. Sleep and work were pretty much all I did, all with very few rewards, excluding the pay, which was FANTASTIC. But, life is MUCH MORE than money. I was never fulfilled with my accomplishments. It just wasn't worth it.

Once I completed my active duty stint with the Marine Corps (MOS Auto/Diesel Mechanic) back in 1976, I landed a job working in the public works department for a small (at the time) burb in the NW suburbs of Chicago. I was with the streets department in various capacities. Thinking back to it now, this was the most enjoyable job I've ever had. The majority of my time was handling all of the heavy equipment, dump trucks, rollers, front-end loaders, and backhoes. Wintertime was filled with endless hours plowing snow from the streets and flinging all of that rust-inducing salt. We were all worked hard. While most people were snuggled in their wee little beds dreaming of sugar plums and such, we were out there getting the roads ready for them to get to their respective jobs. It was cold, hard, thankless, and lonely… AND I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

So now being on this far side of the hill, I'm looking to recapture some of that youthful romance of the road by trying my hand at OTR driving. With no more family to worry about, no home time requirements, and very few bills to be concerned with, I'm looking to ride out my life, pushing the borders of this great Nation working toward that next sunset.

Well here it is, 3½ years later, and I've been to all 48 of the contiguous United States (it only took 1½ years to accomplish that), coast-to-coast, border-to-border. From Sequim, WA to Miami, FL, Otay Mesa, CA to Bangor, ME. Kind of like that Willie Nelson song, "I've Been Everywhere, Man".

PorkChop's Photo Gallery

Posted:  4 years ago

Well this chapter of my life is over!

Way to go Ken C! What the h*** did you do to Daniel that got him to quit training?

rofl-2.gif

Posted:  4 years ago

?'s on uploading photos

I haven't done anything like it on a phone of any kind, so I won't be able to help. Sorry!

Posted:  4 years ago

Got a bike for the road!

Daniel, BTW, COOL photo of the truck . . . who are those handsome dudes flanking you, anyway??

Jopa

Prime's Motliest Crew

Prime truck drivers standing in front of Prime truckrofl-3.gif

Posted:  4 years ago

Pedestrian Killed by Tractor Trailer

I personally feel that it's time to start regulating passenger vehicles and their drivers more along the lines of CDL holders are regulated (e.g. driver physicals, pre-trip inspections and safety regulations). Why aren't "average" drivers required to put out reflective triangles when they're broken-down on the side of the road (it would have saved the guy in this case)? Would a pre-trip inspection have prevented this vehicle from being broken down in the first place?

sorry.gif Just venting!

Posted:  4 years ago

?'s on uploading photos

I am completely tech unsavvy. I have a galaxy sIII. How do I upload photos? What is a photo address? Any shortcuts? Thanks Bart

Directly above this area, as you're entering a new post or reply, there are eight blue buttons…

LinkButtons_zps7f0378a8.jpg

Click on the "Photo" button and enter the appropriate web address of the image that you want to insert. The image MUST BE uploaded to an image sharing website (I use Photobucket). Many are free to use for a limited amount of storage space.

Posted:  4 years ago

Have Not Been In

I'm so glad that you've posted! The only company that has responded to me (as a new CDL trainee) is CRST. I suppose it is because that my current mailing address is Plantation, FL (near Ft. Lauderdale). My biggest concern with them is that they are almost exclusively team-trucks and I was really wanting to go solo. What can you tell me about CRST that could get my fat a$$ in gear and sign with them?

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Solution for on the road sickness

We have also found certain places give us upset stomachs everytime we eat there.

Umm, don't eat there?

rofl-3.gif
sorry.gif

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Had a question and wonder if anywon knows if its true?

Ahh, you didn't mention that the misdemeanor was drug related in the other thread. Yeah, that might change things up a bit. Drugs are definitely the Devils doing! Why don't the kids ever listen to their parents? We tried to warn 'em.

Sorry, that "rant" wasn't directed at you, just a generalization. So many people come here looking for advice on the things they've done wrong in their past. I can't help but wonder if I'm the last person on this planet that has never been arrested for anything, and had never had anything traffic violations, ever! Boy, I must've been a real boring, goody two-shoes throughout my life; although it certainly doesn't feel that way!?

Anyway, it really depends on how long ago the incident took place and the companies policy/acceptance of our past mistakes. Some are a bit more lenient than others. Stay tuned, some more knowledgable members should be chiming in shortly.

good-luck-2.gif

Hope that helps.

The best way to find and get , basics Technology

$300 to $800 dollars for the type of CBs I use and love.

Alright, NOW you've done it! I just GOTTA ASK, "Hey Guy, what kind of CBs do YOU use"?

good-luck-2.gif

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Wanted to say thanks to everyone here at trucking truth

I have a few questions, ive been reading some recents posts and theres something that's making me nervous. Im 26 years old, but this is my dream job and ive never wanted anything as bad as this. I hope my age wont be considered to young?

Absolutely NOT. Minimum age for Interstate is 21, Intrastate is 18. I'd be just slightly more concerned with the misdemeanor, however, it will probably be a non-issue.

good-luck.gif

We need TT stickers for our trucks

Hey Brett, Here's an idea, more of a brain-fart really, but nonetheless; a number of members have mentioned how they would like to help support this website and your efforts into it, and I am certainly one of them. Although I'm not wealthy, alright, flat-broke if you must know, but I'd be willing to kick-in a couple of bucks to hire an online designer to work with you to come up with a great, professional logo that could be used for everything that has been mentioned, even swag (Frisbees and chew-toys, I mean balloons) for GuyJax! Perhaps you could initiate/create a donations page for this purpose.

Like I said, just a thought…

sniff, sniff.

Anybody else smell that?

confused.gif

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

It happened quietly and very few people know.....

May 24th 2011 fmcsa changed a few definitions to the type of portal tanks a flat bed could haul before requiring a Tanker endorsement.

Hey GuyJax, is that typo? Did you mean to type, "May 24th, 2014"? I hope so, because a regulation that changed over three years ago, shouldn't have snuck up on anyone!

embarrassed.gif

Either way, great info, and goes to show how we ALL need to keep abreast of what's going on in the industry, especially where our gooberment is involved!

Driving from Las Vegas to Chicago

Summary I-70: It's a bit shorter, but you'll climb much higher. It may not be as windy as Wyoming. You have an alternate (but longer) route if needed.

I'm no expert, but having a Plan-B is always the better alternative.

You Tube Trucking Videos

What do u mean? i havnt watched all of trucker josh's videos so i may be missing something.

Josh tends to be more discreet in mentioning Allie than she is. Watch some of her videos from about mid-May or so, maybe a bit earlier. Those two just "get all giddy" with each other, although I'm sure neither will outright admit it.

shocked.png

OMG! We're starting to sound like a bunch of old housewives, sitting around the table gossiping about "our stories"!

rofl-3.gif

Been a Long Time Coming

50 YEARS OLD? Holy cow, you're ancient!shocked.pngsmile.gif

Not really, I was just kidding! Fifty is nothing! You're actually at the perfect age. I believe the average new recruit in trucking is 45-55 years old. I'm 56 and just started sending out applications.

good-luck.gif

Help..before start doing anything

From what I understand, if your medication is taken by mouth, should not be a problem, however, injectable medication is a no-go.

On the other hand, I just found this over at the DOT website…

Diabetes Exemption Program

Others will add their input I'm sure, but this exemption thing MAY be something to look into.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Minnesota State Patrol searching for semi that nearly hit girl waiting for school bus

shocked.pngwtf.gif

WHAT THE Flamingfiretruckfromhell was he thinking? AND ON THE SHOULDER?

wtf-2.gif

You Tube Trucking Videos

If he hasn't been mentioned yet, I enjoy Trucker Josh's videos, too.

Agreed, he's fun to watch. How about the little "soap opera" thing he's got going with "Allie Knight"? As has been mentioned elsewhere, "it's cute", perhaps a little "Kanuk vs Yankee" trucker romance is in the works? LOL

smile.gif

We need TT stickers for our trucks

First of all, I certainly hope that you've already gotten the go ahead from Brett, after all, this is HIS baby.

Secondly, I would recommend having a "professional designer" create a simple(r) logo design (again, with Bretts approval) that could be easily used across a multitude of applications (e.g. shirts, hats, coffee cups, mouse pads, decals/stickers, etc.). The banner that Brett uses on this site is well made, looks great, and it encompasses the overall feel of the website. But how well will it work, in its current format, as an embroidered patch on a nice polo shirt? Is the logo going to be screen printed? Embroidered? Both? How many colors? How much detail? You really need to be able to use the logo in many ways and places without it losing any of its basic integrity, and without making the product look "cheap". This holds true for ALL corporate logos. Just look around at all of the fast-food chains, truck stops, hotels/motels, gas stations, etc., they are all simple, one or two color logos (yes, some are more, but multi-color logos are more expensive to reproduce).

JMHO