Comments By PorkChop

• PorkChop
  • Comments:

Pre-Hire letters

Joe on the top of the page "trucking jobs " theres a feature where you can send one app to all companies !

DAGNABBIT! I looked there! I even entered my zip code! Nothing happened. wtf.gif

Okay, Took a deep breath and looked again. This time I scrolled down the page. Sure enough, there it is. So I repeat…

DAGNABBIT!

thank-you.gif

Pre-Hire letters

Please help me clear-up this foggy brain of mine. I recall reading somewhere on the forum that we need to fill out an employment application at various companies, and hopefully, in return, they will send out a pre-hire letter. I vaguely also recall reading that there was a way to apply to many companies with one application. Have I lost my mind! If not, where can I find this Magic App"? confused.gif

You Tube Trucking Videos

I'm a big fan of Indiana Jack and J Canell. Jack makes some very visually appealing videos and focuses mainly on the "adventure" side of trucking, while J Canell does a wide variety of trucking topics, including "tours" of the new trucks that he drives/delivers to various outfits.

JMHO

LittleJoe

What do you do when you notice someone pulled your lock around the kingpin open?

I truly hope that this was just a one time oversight, and that it originally didn't lock correctly. Good catch on the walk-around though! It's sad to think that someone would do this as a prank or revenge. wtf.gif

So that leaves me with a rookie question, "Is there a way to chain/cable and lock the release handle in the locked position?" Although, I can think of a couple of reasons (DOT included) that might frown of this practice.

Site change

Unfortunately that's not possible right now. But I'm sure its on Bretts to-do list.

Actually, that's not exactly true. You can get a list of all posts from a particular user, although it is not in any particular sequence or order that I can make out. Just type the user's name into the search box near the top-left of the page (see picture below) and hit the Enter/Return key on your keyboard and violà!

SearchBox_zps4f216048.jpg

Hope that helps!

good-luck.gif

LittleJoe

A Primer on Prime (get it?)

Holy Smokes! Jopa! Are you actually out on the road? I was starting to think that it would never happen!!

Congratultions! Hope it goes well for you. Do you think your back pain is from your recent fall at church, or something new?

LittleJoe

A new TruckingTruth video section?

Yeah, I would have tags and categories for the videos just like blog articles do.

I think for educational purposes having some videos would be great. It would not be things like truck wrecks and knuckleheads. It would be things like pre-trip inspections, trailer drop-n-hook, inside the cab tours, and maybe some interesting thoughts and perspectives on the career and lifestyle of OTR driving...things like that.

100% GO FOR IT!

Semitruck Brands

Stand back everyone, Bretts about to have a wet dream!

shocked.pngPakistani Truck decked out in chrome and paintPakistani Truck decked out in chrome and paintrofl-3.gif

Sorry Brett. I couldn't resist.

Okay, I could have, but I didn't want to!rofl-1.gif

… just kidding, bro! Just goes to prove that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and blind people!

Prescription adderall

Being that Aderall is an "amphetamine mixed salt", my guess would be that it would NOT be accepted, as the main, key-word is "amphetamine". This is at the very top of the no-no list. However, as has been suggested, check with your recruiter, as well as the DOT list.

The following is taken directly from the U.S. Department of Transportation, F.M.C.S.A., website

49 CFR 391.41(b)(12)(i)(ii)(A)(B)

"A person is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle if that person —

Does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11 Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug.

Exception. A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who:

Is familiar with the driver’s medical history and assigned duties; and

Has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver’s ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle."

Regulations Versus Medical Guidelines (Guidance)

LittleJoe

A new TruckingTruth video section?

Before they are published for active viewing they need to be vetted for content cause if I wanted to see entertaining or trashy videos I can log into YourTube and the site would fill up with videos that people thought were interesting but has nothing to do with actually teaching about the trucking industry.

Agreed 100%

Majority of UTOOB is garbage. Well made (i.e. - high-definition video, quality sound, informative content) videos would be welcomed. Videos that rant or rave about individual companies are useless. Videos that highlight the lifestyle and/or driving techniques and procedures are probably the most worthy, although currently the most elusive.

On a personal note, I really enjoy the videos by Indiana Jack, and most of J Canell's. They are usually upbeat and positive, and as far as I can tell, mostly factual (at least from their own point of view, naturally).

Semitruck Brands

Lonestar_zpsc975d20f.jpg

wtf.gif

WTF is THAT?!?

Sorry, looks like CRAP!

sorry.gif

Truck smashes into overpass

A trucker driving along on the freeway notices a road sign in the distance that reads 'Low Bridge Ahead.'

Sure enough, the trucker gets stuck under the bridge. Cars are backed up for miles.

Finally, a police officer arrives at the scene. The cop gets out of his cruiser and walksaround to the truck driver. He puts his hands on his hips and remarks, "Looks like you got stuck, huh?"

The trucker replies sarcastically, "No, officer, actually I was delivering this bridge and ran out of gas

Here's your sign!

rofl-3.gif

Checking back in.

Glad to hear that you're doing well Tracy, and congratulations on the new rig!

By the way, your current pic reminds me of Dusty Hill of ZZ Top fame! Should leave it! smile.gif

LittleJoe

Dale Earnhardt is alive and pulls a rock hauler.

Reminded me of this video…

!!! LANGUAGE WARNING !!! (for our more sensitive viewers)

Truck goes airborn.

Food?

Now to really answer your question, buy and cook your own food. A small cooler/refrigerator, a microwave and possibly a crockpot/slow cooker and you can save tons of money.

From what I've been reading here lately, this really isn't an option if you plan on going to Prime. Aren't they switching over to the LW tractors for OTR? There's not enough room in those for a refrigerator and/or microwave. Or is there?

LittleJoe

OTR full time even on your days off? Please share.

Littlejoe, you hit the nail on the head! What school will you be going to?

Haven't heard about the one your going to. I was thinking McFatter Tech., but now I've got to look into Sheridan Tech. (you've piqued my curiosity). That's IF I can get funding through WIA. If not, I'll be trying to get into one of the Company CDL courses.

As far as a permanent "home address", I was thinking that once I got hired by a company, I'd find a super-cheap efficiency or other rental property located within a few miles from a Company terminal. That way, if I must take home time, I would be close sp they would ALWAYS be able to get me there!

Roll Call: Springfield, MO this week

"Programs, get your programs, HERE!!"

Jopa

I'm holding out for the popcorn and peanuts!

LittleJoe

Please help! Never-ending training with USA Truck. Can he come home?

…. Besides, the homecoming will be a bit sweater that way, eh?

Jopa

smile.gifsmile.gif

Are you saying that she'll give him the cold shoulder, or did you mean to say "SWEETER"?

rofl-3.gif

OTR full time even on your days off? Please share.

This is EXACTLY what I am planning to do as well, with the exception of home time. The plan is to spend home time wherever I happen to be at the time I take it, and absorb some of the local color. I don't want, nor do I need a "permanent" home location.

The flow of great information just never stops here

Good luck to you, Randy!