Comments By SOBER-J

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/black-kenworth.jpg avatar
  • SOBER-J
  • 8 years ago
  • Comments:

This Job Can Give You a Lifetime of Stories to Tell

That's crazy isn't it but I believe every word of it. The biggest buck I ever saw was running across the road at a major intersection just in front of a Mcdonalds and hardees.

By the why did you get a message from me? I sent out a few of the private messages just to see if it works and I don't think there is a private message option on my profile. I'd just like to have all the perks from this site that are available.

thanks Sober-J over

More news from US Express

I was able to talk to my US Express recruiter this morning, we had a good long chat and went through my 2 page list of questions. I got a lot of things answered. She was just really not sure about how the refresh works and said she would find out for sure next week before she gets back in touch with me. From our talk and what she could tell me I still come to orientation for the Mon - Wed then have an extensive road test and be on my way in my own truck.

So I'm still a bit nervous and really exited all in the same. She also talked to me about being a trainer. After 30 days of safe driving I would be eligible to take out new cdl grads! I have to admit that was unexpected, but the more I think about it though the day the more I think I might be into it.

Well that's down the road a ways. Got a few hurdles of my own to focus on now. Going by DMV in the morning to grab a fresh Cdl book and get to studying. My plan is, if what she is telling me is correct, I'll just sit in the front seat on my bus ride up and play the role of "Road Test Giver". Not going to tell the driver just going to sit back and watch and take notes on any thing and everything that I think will help in my road test.

Here is another concern I have though. As I found out earlier this week many smaller comps (well at least 2 that I know of) do not report to the DAC. So the only place on there is Schneider. I still have all my W2s and a lot of old log books from the 2 comps I was with after Schneider. Problem with one is, dispatcher at that time died a couple years ago and a lot of the office staff has changed. I have to give them a call to make sure they remember me and let them know US will be calling. Guess if no one in the office knows me I will take my W2 down there and find someone that hopefully still there when I was. Then they should be fine with verifying my employment.

The other comp is about an hour away and I just won't have time to go there next week. Long as I get "Comp 2" to verify I will have the 18 months in ten years that I need.

Some of you may end up with me at US Express as your trainer one day. No smoking, no drinking! Be the job. Ha ha

I'm Sober-j over

Going to US Express in 10 days. Give me all the info

No problem at all. I did my first year with Schneider. That's when I started driving Big trucks. Before that it was Class B for 7 years. When I left Schneider I came to 2 smaller local companies for a total of 2 more years between them both. So 3 years total.

When I first started talking to the recruiter the refresh was mentioned so I thought I probably be with someone for a few weeks at least. The other day when I talked to her she was asking about if I would drive up or take the bus ticket. When asked what the plan was, meaning do I go to orientation for the 3 days then come home and start with refresh the next week or go straight into the refresh after orientation. That's when she said I would just do an extensive road test then be in a truck.

I wasn't able to talk to her today but she told me earlier that she was working on the 4th so I will definitely know exactly whats going on when I talk to her tomorrow.

Honestly I would be more comfortable going though some type of refresh in a truck before being thrown into a road test. Like I said its been over 5 years since I shifted a gear. I'd really feel better with a chance to get the ring rust off. And I will make sure she knows that next time we talk.

Sober-J over

I'm in!!! Orientation with Melton Truck Lines in Tulsa, OK

Definitely sounds like you have the right attitude. When I was in school my trainer was also x military as am I. I always liked the straight forward no nonsense way of communicating. We had one guy that just couldn't take his style, he quit and tried to get the trainer in trouble for picking on him. They even question those of us who were with this trainer and asked if we wanted to switch to a new one. My reply was, I'm here to get my CDL and be a truck driver. His job is to train me. Doesn't matter what approach he takes because if he does his job I'm going to succeed.

Sober-J over

Log Book Question

Ah, that makes more since. Yeah sorry if I confused you Tom A.

Sober-J over

Posted:  8 years ago

Newbie questions from the Mrs.

Your story reminds me of myself and my wife when I started. I was 32 and married with a 3 year old daughter. Trying to get out of debt and planning to stay a year on the road then get local. Long story short I did just that.

We always talked everyday. Always talked every night before bed and told each other good night and lots of "I love you's". there were times that I could not get by the house but would be only a hour or two away and we would meet and get a motel or sleep in truck together. Also times I was passing though The area but not for my days off and we would meet at the local truck stop. That year (2005) at thanksgiving was an example. We had our dinner in the truck at the local TA. Just me her and my daughter. It wasn't from the TA though. Home cooked from Grannies. Ha ha

Thing about this business is you can get angry or stressed about everything that you cannot do because your apart. But if you get a little creative you can enjoy a lot more than just the home time and still "Be the job."

One of my biggest mistakes was doing exactly what you are about to do. I came in with the plan to do the year then get out and get local. I pretty much wrote the rode off before I even got started and the smaller local companies were a big disappointment. Which is why I been out for over 5 years. I won't get into all the reasons. Just a little advise. Nothing wrong with having a plan. Just not quite as easy to find out the info on local smaller comps.

Enjoy your new career because you are in it too.

Sober-J over

Going to US Express in 10 days. Give me all the info

Time is almost here for me to get back on the road. I start my orientation July 14 . With US Express just thought I would see what info anyone has. I will be on the Northeast regional that gets me home weekly. I'm a little nervous I have to admit. I haven't shifted a gear in 5 and a half years. From what the recruiter is telling me, and we all know they can be a bit deceptive, orientation 3 days then I take an extensive road test and on my way. Got a friend who still driving local and he's going to let me take his truck around a little just to be able to do some shifting. I imagine it will be like riding a bike but no one is usually sitting beside you observing when you jump back on a bike, right.

Thanks in advance for the input.

I'm Sober-J over

Log Book Question

Can you be a bit more specific? On duty not driving is just that. Its for fueling, pre trip inspection, switching trailers, pretty much anything your doing if your not in the sleeper or off duty on your time. Just a hint, I wouldn't spend 8 hours trip planning on the on duty line. I did trip planning on my own time to save hours, off duty line or sleeper berth. Remember you have the 70 hour rule so you don't want to burn your hours with a lot of on duty, and trip planning will get easier and you want take that long after you do it a few weeks.

Hope that helps but I may not be answering exactly what your asking.

Sober-J over

Driving for Schneider vs. ABF, US Express

I started my big truck career at Schneider, went to there school back in late 2004. That's where I did my first year then took local job with some smaller companies. I have nothing but good things to say about the "Pumpkin" Truck. Be glad to try and answer any specific questions you have but of course its been a while since I was there. I will say they are all about being safe and legal. They kept fairly new equipment, scheduled maint., Also had very nice operating centers that you can get to, to stay out of the truck stops.

Don't get offended about being in a pumpkin truck. We were told by the trainers and even management about all those orange cones you see out on the highway. They are actually Schneider eggs that are about to hatch. Ha ha.

when I was there was always plenty of miles. They were also doing some new things with your home time so you were able to schedule when you wanted to be home and go back out. Then there is the number of dedicated accounts you could run that get home weekly and it didn't take long to get on one.

Logging has changed, gone to computers. Most likely by now there is more technological "stuff" being used, but I would bet as far as miles, money, and home time they would be one of the best out there. When I look back at my life choices, if I had the chance to do it over, I would have stayed with them. Going to the smaller local companies was a disappointment and why I left the business for awhile.

That's my two cents, but of course the decision is yours. Good Luck and keep in touch

I'm Sober-J over

Posted:  8 years ago

DOT Drug Testing: Urinalysis or Hair Follicle?

Exactly right. On both. Doesn't matter how much hair you have and if you think you going to shave everything that's a no go or refusal. Unless of course you have that medical condition causing you to not grow any hair at all. Then you will have a Doctors verification for that.

There is a youtube clip that is a labs promo for why companies should use the hair test. It shows that one of the first things they do when they get your sample is chop it into tiny pieces. Then the solution then the test. Not that hard to find if anyone wants to.

Sober-J over

Finally made it!

Way to go Chris! You got the right attitude brother! BE THE JOB, BE THE TRUCK DRIVER! The money will follow you!

I'm Sober-J over

Is it worth it?

Mountain girl sounds really smart and I think I would listen to her!

Posted:  8 years ago

Need advice from more experienced drivers...

Greetings everyone! I am the new guy around the forum... I have no experience in trucking nor do I have my CDL

Basically my question is I have been given multiple opportunities to go through a Company Paid CDL school...I was expecting to only get accept by one school or two at the most due to my sketchy job history as I have been working through temp agencies just to support my wife and kids while I was in college....

Here are the schools:

Roehl CR England Central Refrigerated CRST MCT Transportation *Knight(I have received a prehire letter but have not been in contact with them at all regarding what they offer)

Now I know nothing about these companies aside from all the negative feedbacks about CR England. As it sits Roehl is offering more pay and the home time is also the best out of all of them. So obviously it is my number one choice...According to the people at Roehl I start getting a pay check after the first 8 days of CDL school. Now I am not sure if I am misunderstanding her or not but I was under the impression that I pay for Food, Transportation, Lodging, and I do not get paid until my 4th week or so? She says that they pay everything except food and once I finish with the first week I can start earning a pay check making $600/week until I complete training? I do not want to commit to something and end up getting there and sleeping on a street corner for 3 weeks. She also told me that my starting pay was .35/mile for flatbed which is what I am interested in pursuing through Roehl if I choose them. As far as the other companies they were about all the same except for Knight.

My overall concern is getting enough miles in and paying the bills but also getting some home time once or twice a month.

Any advice would be helpful or experiences would be great too!

I have no idea who to go with because I am cloudy on the other companies... I did some research but everywhere I have looked says contradicting things... I hope to do OTR for a year or two and attempt to land a local job...

Thanks in advance!

Brother your on the right track. Not sure who pays what and all that you just have to hammer that out with the recruiters and sounds like your doing just fine. Just make sure you get any question answered that you want to know before you go to any school or company. Company school usually goes something like this.

you don't have to worry about being left on the streets. I mean if you go to school and just totally F it up then yeah, they not going to hire you and they not going to keep letting you stay in the motel.

Far as lodging and meals. Hotel should be paid while your there in class. Continental breakfast is usually there at motel and lunch is usually provided. Dinner, probably going to be on you. Remember this is all company paid training at company school. different companies are going to have different pay rates while your in school and in training.

Now once your done with all that and in your own truck give yourself some time to settle in and see how everything works. But realistically you can average 2500 miles a week just like they tell you. So just do the math 2500 times 40 cpm is 1000 a week and that's not counting short hall extra or stop off. Trust us you not going to starve driving a big truck. There is money to be made but there lots of hurdles and hoops to go through to get to your own truck. This site has just about everything that you probably want to know and then some.

Just keep digging and talking to companies. Decide if you want company school or private. If you go private its more money out of pocket up front but you could get more reimbursed back to you from the comp that you sign on with. Cause once you finish school and if you keep clean and safe you always going to have a job, no career!

I'm Sober-J over

The DAC Report

Ok here's what I found out today as afar as the DAC goes. I went to the website which was given to me which is HIRERIGHT.COM. It was given here so you can find the link just search through our conversations. They are the DAC. There is a 800 # you can call. Rosemary who was the person I talked to was nice enough to tell me, after I gave her my SS #, That Schneider was the only company that has reported any thing on me. Now let me tell you I drove for other smaller companies since then that obviously just do not report to them for this DAC. This DAC thing is apparently a paid snitch web company. It appears, and I only say this from what I know about me, that trucking companies choose whether or not they want to report to them or not.

Here is more that Rosemary was so kind to tell me. After 7 years any accidents or incidents, which I had none with Schneider, is gone. All it shows is I worked there from x date to x date at this company, Schneider. Also after 10 years even the company that you worked for is gone.

I have drove for smaller companies and they just do not report to the "DAC" its fact.

Now is this paid snitch web company legal? probably not. The problem is we are working men and women who do not have the time, money, or recourses to fight against them. They know it! And they will keep doing it until they are stopped! They know that if they disqualify someone from a position that individual will most likely do nothing about it and just move on. That's what they hope.

Bottom line is when you get your truck don't F up. Cause big brother is watching. Especially if your driving for these big companies. Guys and gals if you stay safe out there and keep yourself clean your not going to have much to worry about except PU, DEL getting the job done, getting paid and getting home. BE THE JOB, BE THE TRUCK DRIVER. That's what we got into it for.

Yes I think its crap that we have double standard after double standard placed on us as drivers. Sometimes it seems that THEY treat us as no more than prisoners on work release. Confined to a 10 by 10 cell and able to go home on the weekend. THE truth is we are more than that. You all are more than that. You may not get it yet but you are what keeps this country going. Don't forget it and don't let them rob you of who you are. You, me, all of us are the back bone of this country. Without us the whole economy would stop moving. The worst part of trucking is if you mess up at one carrier it could be your last.

Finally just don't give them any ammo against you. Stay clean and stay safe and they got nothing. Hell, they can't even find the logs on the computer for God sake and they supposed to be.... you get the point.

I'm Sober-J over

Veteran Hiring

So I am looking for assistance. I am recently retired from the military after 7 years. In 2006, I obtained my CDL and for about a half a year I drove for a company that is no longer in business and since then I have been out of the truck but my CDL is valid and as is my medical card. I am having a difficult time finding a company to hire me. No DUI, No tickets, clean criminal background and etc. Any suggestions without having to go through a "refresher" course, because I have found the "refresher" means talking a CDL driving class all over again and I am not willing to use my GI Bill on such.

Thanks,

Ryan P. Bowman

Sorry that's US Express

Ryan I have been out a while myself. 5 years. I will be talking the refresh threw Express. Not costing e a dime though. You might want to check them out.

SoberJ over

Veteran Hiring

Thanks,

Ryan P. Bowman

SoberJ over

DAC report

DAC report is like a DMV report, only for commercial drivers.

You can request on Here

It's free or you can call them . Takes about 15 days to receive.

Companies will send accident, tickets, and various other info to your DAC file.

Well here is something else that sounds against our rights. My understanding is that for any other job, except trucking, the only thing that can be said is... if the individual actually worked there and the dates they worked and also they can say we would or would not hire them back. Think I will start checking into this one to. I can not wait to get back into trucking, but I have a long term goal to make it better. Not really sure how to do it but this web site is certainly a great start. Can't thank everyone that keeps it going enough!

Sober-J over

Thanks for the info David. Think I will request mine just out of curiosity. I worked for a couple small companies in the past and not sure if they even participate. That seems to be the case here. Looks like the company you worked for would have to file a report against you.

SoberJ over

Posted:  8 years ago

Computer logs vs log books

Sober J., it's a great question!

First, let me tell you a story about law enforcement checking your logs. I was inspected seven or eight times this past year. Of those seven times only two officers wanted to see my logs after they found out I was on e-logs. One of them was in New Jersey, and he didn't have a clue as how to check it so I handed him a small card we have which has some very confusing directions on it, and after glancing at it he said "well I'm sure everything is fine, I know you can't cheat on those electronic logs anyway", and he didn't even bother after that. The other officer was in New Mexico, and he took my qualcomm in his hands and says "Hmmm,, I've never seen one like this, well just let me take a look here and see what I can find." I'm watching him pretty close because I had violated my hours the previous day just because I had to to get my delivery to it's destination on time. He didn't want to embarrass himself in front of me, but it was obvious he didn't know what he was doing. He ended up over in the area that records your fuel mileage and some performance measurements and he just sort of clicked around in there for a few minutes looking at data that was useless to him and then he hands it back to me with "well that all looks just fine."

Each company sets their qualcomm up with their own parameters for what you can get away with. You will be able to figure out how to sleep at your receiver and start your day without starting your fourteen hour clock, I do it all the time. You've got to figure out hoe to do this stuff if you want to make some money.

Oh, I almost forgot, yes you can get copies faxed to you, your company will show you how to do that. If they don't just ask and they will be able to help you.

For a driver like yourself who may have bee accustomed to running "swindle sheets" it will seem a bit restrictive, but I have found that if I manage things correctly I can still make a decent paycheck while running around on the edges of obeying all the new rules. There is still a little creativity to it, but not like the "good old days."

Ha ha sounds like same ole stuff. Those DOT never could hardly read a log book anyway. Now they staying away from it even more. I not to much for this new technology but it might not be so bad. I not trying to run 4000 miles a week anyway but we out here to make money and I sure don't want to be getting down there to low. Well keep the wheels rolling.

Sober J over

DAC report

DAC report is like a DMV report, only for commercial drivers.

You can request on Here

It's free or you can call them . Takes about 15 days to receive.

Companies will send accident, tickets, and various other info to your DAC file.

Sober-J over