Comments By Stevo Reno

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0158651001588559545-18588.jpg avatar
  • Stevo Reno
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

My Awful experience with Schneider National as rookie.

No luck, till I got hired with Schneider/blockquote>

This comment right here,is exactly why you need to man up and stick it out dude. Don't think jumping ship so soon won't make your luck better after 1.5-2 months. It will make it even that much harder finding a new gig elsewhere. Don'tknow where you went to "School" but I'm almost thinking, to a private one?

I'm just not seeing it being easier finding someone else to bring you on with that little bit of drive experience. Good luck in what ever choice you make, I'd stay where you are, get more experience under your belt, like 1 full year, THEN maybe look someplace else to drive, increases your odds a little better.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Team Dispatch vs Solo Dispatch with Trainer

You're going to have to go out with a trainer, no matter what company. Anywhere from 1 month to 3 depends, Prime has 1 of the longest training and for good reason.

Just be a sponge and suck up all knowledge given, with a "go getter" attitude, and the trainer time, will fly by....

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Orientation at New Legends next Monday

Well, I'm bored, and need to restock my retirement head start cash roll. So Friday I applied at Legends, where my last ex-co driver drives for locally, within So. Cali. Sent in all my needed doc's and pics of my FMSCA account.. Showing all 0's nothing on it. All set for 2 days orientation $250 paid, pee test 1st day, results by 2nd day then should be all good for a little drive/parking test, tractor assignment.

When asked what I was looking for, I said NO northern states, like to stay on the I-10 / I-40 route, so they have an open, Dedicated Home-Depot run from Cali to Texas and Oklahoma, great, sign me up! hahaha $0.59 cpm which is fine, 1 penny less than I was getting, I can live with that fine. Told him I can stay out 2-3 weeks at a time, after 3 ya need a lil break from the truck.....At least the sleeper/cab will be only me no teamin' stuff again ( he asked )

From what I KNOW, they do keep up on truck maintenance, Terminal is in Rancho Cucamonga, not far down the Cajon Pass from me. And I will bring tractor home with me as well....Can't wait to get back in the groove again, bankin' them "C" Notes

dancing-dog.gif

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

What Dashcam should I get?

Yes, Chris, some companies do install their own cams, not all...Mostly mega carriers do

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Backing practice - store edition

Yep same as Andrey, can't see enough of the area, my first thought was coming in from the left, pass fuel pumps, hook a right, straighten out and back in....Been in a few tighter spots, and just took a bit longer, and a GOAL or 2, to make it in.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Objects in the road

Seen countless things here on the I-15 Cajon Pass in Cali. nice O/O trucks new chrome stack top half, 6 ft long came off, bounced along the white lines, end over end, right past me. Another day a pick-up pulling a trailer with 3-4 huge granite slabs, went around a curve too fast. Trailer flipped over right on his tow ball, truck stayed upright/attached. Worst, was harley rider took a spill right in the center of the lanes. Car's stopped to block him as others waving traffic around, until emergency could get there, plus it was just a wee bit foggy. Hoped he was ok in the end, don't know how or why he lost it.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Automatic with manual option disable

CRST also disabled the manual option. What griped me the most about auto's is going uphill, some grades the truck barely creep at 27-29 mph if I was lucky. I expected it to have a kick down feature like our cars do, mash the gas,it kicks down a gear to gain a little more speed hahaha....Sometimes I'd push n hold down the lever to try and maintain 10th or 9th gear, up hills, it'd work a little bit, but then do it's own thing....And using 4 way flashers in slow mode, kicked out cruise. Used to be the turn signal switch, or headlights, wipers, would kick out cruise, but they changed em to not do it at least.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Stay out of democrat cities

I too was up in and around Portland, and Seattle,Frisco etc when the SHTF, never knew stuff going on as wasn't traveling in the deep of it. But I told dispatch I will NOT slow down like that Fed Ex driver did if my paths blocked ! I will take em all out, lol told by my DM, "He'd expect nothing less" jokingly of course...

Just glad we never ran into any of that crap up north !

Oh well, Philippines is closer to re-opening their borders, so planning to be over there by around March 2022, and outta this slowly becoming, 3rd world country

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Thoughts On Overtime Pay

Years back when I was a mechanic, I went to Fontana Ca.for an interview @ Western Express, for a diesel tech position. The supervisor interviewing me was going over my resume~ then he mentions work hours...60 hrs per week,every other Saturdays. What grabbed my attention, was when he states pay is $18.50 hour, and they DO NOT pay O.T. I say anything about the NO OT. So he says he has others to talk to they'll call me maybe later, Ok, fine...I Wasnt going to take the job anyways.

1 week later, he calls me to return for another interview. Goes over the same speil, now he takes me around to the shop. Mentions I'd be doing tire repairs/changes, and road calls and batteries. Uh NO I ain't doing tire work, most places I worked before had tire guys and that's ALL they did. Anyway he again mentions the pay rate, hours, and NO OT.

Now I speak up on no OT and tell him, "Dude we are in Calif, the labor laws for ANY mechanics are paid OT after 8, and triple time over 12 hours. He say's well, "I'm just saying what corporate says in Tennessee" lol No thanks buddy, pays way too low and working 60 hrs at straight time ain't working for me, maybe corporate in Tennessee, needs to learn Calif's labor laws...

I'm not scared to work, but pay me properly for it.... I did 93 hours, in 1 week, Mon-Fri at HazMat tanker place in LA ,I worked for, and got OT/Dbl Time pay, plus I was sole mechanic keeping the 20 tractors, and tankers rollin'

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Load miles calculation

TCB,,,,,CRST don't allow use of I-70 West of Denver, EVER!! Guessing because, they've had problems/wrecks, before with drivers....(NO They don't hire the smartest people)

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Load miles calculation

Yep that zip-to-zip thing is crap lol You can enter the delivery zip code, miles from actual drop point. Some companies do pay door-door, not many. Companies get a lil extra $, I guess well, they do have ALL the overhead to cover...Though your 226 mile difference seems a lot !

We had times we did a few trailer moves "city work" like for Fed-Ex, it was 6-8 miles but paid half that, I told our DM (jokingly) "What? it pays us the way the crow flies? Best and funniest move we did, was, we took an empty, from San Antonio to Miami, 1,200 miles ! then we bob tailed back from Miami to San Antonio

I had to call him to confirm this run, since it was 2,400 miles hauling NOTHING ! lol Yep, customer was paying for it for some "special thing" they were gunna do. Weird, since our drop off, had at least 5 empties already ! Oh well, moneys, money in our pockets.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

PSD/Orientation With Prime Inc., Springfield MO

Betting so Packrat, some lease guys are too finicky sometimes, which I understand. The MAX rpm's you EVER wanna see, is under 23-2400 rpm's, that still won't hurt them engines. Was rare a time or 2, that's where that's where our jakes went, tried to keep em in the 2000-2200rpm range IF possible, depending on the grade of the downhill.

I preferred to not pass 2000 rpm's but sometimes, you gotta roll with it, to maintain safe speeds, and NOT overheat the brakes....It's also 1 more learning curve, to figure out in the truck you're driving. Not all react the same.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

What direction does one take?

Im guessin ANY trucking company in your area, or where you'd wanna work at?

Craigslist maybe? have seen some ads for that here, in So Cali.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Personal life details

Just share, whatever YOU feel the need to period. A trainer is only a short time thing, and who's to say you stay in touch later? My trainer was from India, not the turban wearing type, just his goofy open sandles. Nice guy, we got along fine 95% of the time lol

I'm an open book, got nothing to hide or be ashamed of. My ex wife, who recently died of cancer, was Hispanic. We never had issues being mixed, but we are from So. Calif, lol a melting pot, and lots of mixed couples.

I wasn't into blonde females, and wanted mixed kids for some odd reason LOL.....Both were born with thick black hair maybe 2 inches long at birth, and both were just over 9 lbs each. My daughter/1st born, is dark toned like her mom, son was lighter skinned, could'a passed for a filipino in his teenager years. He looked more like me.... Before his death in 2013, he got more, street thug gangsta looking, with some ugly a$$ jail tattoo's

Oh I will get looks in Philippines, out with my filipina girl, but that's normal there, so no big deal being mixed couple. In the end, I never really cared what people thought of me, I am me, like it or not period. Not on this earth, to please strangers, I will never see again in life.

Don't sweat the small stuff Kerry

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Footwear

Skechers slip on's bout time for a new pair or 2.....Only wore flip flops as a kid lol Can't stand em now, or boots! Boguth an $80 pair of boots for Gardners, then seen everyone else in tennies so only wore them boots 2 times. Now they collect dust in the corner hahaha

Won't need em in Philippines, and they don't sell size 12, in rain boots over there, even at the dang Ace Hardware stores at the mall's ! I didn't try the Payless stores, doubt they do have any in 12's oh well.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Getting Enough Sleep

Will be a lot easier sleeping, driving solo, than teams !! Many a time I would get bounced around, not getting much but 1-3 hour catnaps. And if you can stand being parked next to some loud APU's etc lol. But when you do a full 11 drive cycle, oh you WILL be tired, and sleep.

There are chankra healing, meditation,binaural music tunes I used at home etc, that actually worked! I'd find ones for 3-8+ hours when I used em, and was shocked how good it worked !!. 1st time thought it was a fluke, so tried different ones, and they worked. I didn't realize how fast it put me to sleep....

Told a friend who had bad insomia about em, they tried it, and said it worked great for them too LOL Go figure.....Neighbors behind us have a rooster, the damn thing crows too early, 3:30-4:00 am. He's crowing NOW, @ 8:20 am hahaha think he has his clock jacked up.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Breakdown mystery

Had 2, 2019's and neither had the boost gauges that I remember seeing lol Also have turbo hose clamps checked, loose, they suck air cause loss of power.

1 driver I know had his clamp loose, and blew off the pipe/rubber on cold side. But if so, oh you'd know it when it blew lol I'm gunna stick with, fuel filters though.

Hope they sort it out for ya.....good-luck-2.gif good-luck.gif

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Breakdown mystery

Bruce, Remembering now, we had a load to Washington State, and our truck was slowing down, losing power. We made it to Salem, OR, where dispatch sent us (Gardner terminal) And our fuel filters at the injector pump, were totally clogged up !

They replaced em and end of problem.....CRST Does NOT change the fuel filters every PM service, which is DUMB, I think. Our trucks got PMs every 50K....Plus our trouble began after fueling at TA, on I-80, first 1 in Wyoming, from Utah.

We got a load of bad fuel there TWICE, left bad taste in my mouth with TA's ..............When I was a diesel tech, EVERY filter was replaced each PM.

Cheap insurance, over a break down, service call, or worse a tow to a shop !!

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Breakdown mystery

Can't find anything related with the clunk noise you hear. Power loss hmmm when were the fuel filters replaced last?? The water separator filter? Mileage on your tractor ??

Read shut down randomly could be related to PNDB big fuse box on firewall underwood behind airlines. Or bad ignition switch.... But you said slowed down not totally died.

A mechanical issue will not set a code, like an electrical/ sensor 1 does...

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

RVer Fueling in the truck lanes question.

Well, many times I took my 30 AT the fuel island, started when behind the guy ahead of me fueling his truck. Soon as he rolls out, I roll up, and fuel, do windows and mirrors in 12-15 minutes, then roll up to the line. I drove nights mostly,which I preferred over days, so lot of the times, they weren't busy. I was always mindful of those waiting on me to finish up. Besides, that's sometimes, how I could roll those few 700+ mile nights....

Us having most loads 1800-2800+ miles, I wanted to get em done ASAP. And tried to most of the time, to keep my co-driver doing as many miles as possible too, but during the day, that's not always possible. Can't count the times traffic jams, or accidents ,tied us up, waiting to get passed the mess/clean ups