Comments By Stevo VWbusman

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0530495001552587691-18588.jpg avatar

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Home time, a necessary evil

Lol Ken, I saw that episode, probably because they went fishing someplace else, than the opening where he and Opie are walking to theirs.....

But yeah everything needs a license or permit to do anything, anymore for sure, they gotta get that $$ to pay for stuff lol

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Company cell phones

I've been on Metro PCS/T-Mobile now for around 3 years. Had the $60 month plan for the 10 gigs hotspot. Usually had to go top up for another 10-20 in the month. as I used it a LOT for hotspot....Then they upped the top up to 2 gigs for $5 (was 1gig per $5) Now the $60 has been upped to 15 gigs a month ! I checked around and didn't find any cell service even close to that amount of gigs.....

My $150 LG Stylos Pro 3, works better than my buddies, wifes', $900 Samsung !....Plus when I joined Metro after 90 days they send you the unlock key to click... Which again, was nice, I used it while I spent 3 months in the mountain jungle province in the Philippines back in 2016-17, once I bought a sim card over there. Cell phone worked even better than my stay at a hotels' wi-fi

Hopefully it works just as great, once I get to travel this country here lol

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Home time, a necessary evil

I'd hate to read here:

I got a ticket today while fishing!

Sure burst my bubble lol license?? hmmmm

Did Andy Taylor and Opie, need a license at their favorite fishin hole?

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Home time, a necessary evil

Lol Bruce, I'm kinda like you, there's nothing here much as in family etc, to worry about getting "home time" I figure, where ever I may be at that time, I will make the most of it, and see what that locale/place has to offer. Might even carry me a small fishing pole, and couple lures lol. Just to kick it, and play around, fish or no fish. I miss fishing actually

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Closer to finally, pulling the trucking school trigger!

Hahahaha Well, Mike ya know, there's LOTS of desert, between here, and Arizona ! lol

Places, where very few, may go to look hahaha

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Closer to finally, pulling the trucking school trigger!

Well,I got signed up with Roadmasters today tentative April 15th start. Also found out for sure Werner bought Roadmasters....Hopefully I will get on with Werner and let the journey begin!......Only thing I was bit thrwon off by, he said also, they train you on Auto's, no manuals etc Werner et all use em. ok fine no double clutchin' then lol So Admissions guy said classes are 6 days, 7 am til 6 pm be finished in 16 days? Cool by me,sooner the better.....Background check is being done now, no biggee I got nothing to find or hide.My DUI 40 years ago don't matter, I told him since Idon't want any skeletons popping outat last minute, and screwing this all up......Had 2 FBI back ground checks done in last 10 or 15 years, it's all good.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Closer to finally, pulling the trucking school trigger!

Marc Lee, Thanks, It's too close for comfort, my worker was on vacation last week, was a couple thingss I had to do before she got back, which I got all handled Friday ! My 2pm appt with her today, finished up the paperwork and got my referral.... So, tomorrow, bright and early, I'm headed down to Fontana, to have Roadmasters fill in their part. And get them papers to her ASAP! They also are running low on funding, because part of their budget was given to another office, who churns out less people!

So, soon as I get these papers in her hands, said tell school set up a tentative start date, of 15th April...So as soon as she pushes my paperwork thru her boss for finalization. She said it might take 2 weeks, but she is on it as time is not on our side.....New budgets not until July ! Jeeze been 3+ months working with the county lol no ones in any hurry for sure.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Closer to finally, pulling the trucking school trigger!

WIOA was my ONLY option, not having worked since last October..... Been selling off my "stuff", extra cars etc, just to survive lately. Living in my 5th wheel I bought 2 years ago, in best buds back corner of his 2.5 acre yard. Living simple, self sufficient using what money I can make for gas, propane, food, etc. lol

I don't / didn't have $$, to get my CLP ($76)or take DOT physical ($75-150) which most *paid training* companies want you to have, before you show up at school. Knight was my top of list choice, but Werner will work too. And I do plan to stay with them even if I won't be locked into a 1 year contract. Which should be about a 3 year stint, until I retire to S.E. Asia :) lol

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Closer to finally, pulling the trucking school trigger!

Well, Stevo is back lol I have been catching up on forums when I could. Well, after my butthead of boss fired me last October (no big loss) I decided it was time, to just go into trucking for next 3 years or so, until officially retiring for good, and moving to Philippines by age 62 !

I don't care what they say about no age discrimination in the job market, I'm here to say they are full of it! Any mechanic job I applied for never reply I am more than qualified to do most of them, after nearly 40 years turning a wrench. From semi's way back when,,, then automotive, forklifts heavy equipment, etc.........Trucking has no such age thing lol And I can probably make more in 1 year, than ever have as mechanic.

Anyways, I went thru our local county office, to see if I could qualify WIOA program(Slow 3 month process), go to school thru them. Which I will be doing very soon! Appointment is tomorrow with my worker(she had a week off), then she can give me the referral to school, as the counties budget is about out of funding, until July's new budget!

So, I will probably go to Road Masters in Fontana, Cal. And think I will just go with for Werner. Since they are also somehow affiliated with Road Masters. And was told its all done in-house, DOT physical, and CL Permit?? I Will have to take a drive to the school and find out all the real nitty gritty first!......Thinking better thru WIOA, than other ways, so am not tied to any long term plan, BUT I do NOT plan to jump ship from Werner,.or whoever I start out with...... I plan to stick with them possibly until I decide I am done working period! I hate job hopping anyways. Never really read anything very bad about Werner......Don't really matter, I plan to just stay out on the road, not having much family or relatives left to be home for......Gawd sometimes when I think about it, I kinda like an adult Orphan lol.....My few lifelong friends might miss me a wee bit, especially when their cars break down (been broken quite a lot lately)

Hoping I have a bit of a head start in school, having been around and working on the big trucks. And will go into all this with an open mind and no grand delusions or ego. I'm always up to learning new things, and take to heart tips n tricks I get from someone already having been there and done it! T.T. stories and diaries has been a great help keeping my head on straight on what to kind of expect and to keep an open mind even when it gets rough, which it will, I'm sure. Driving a tractor on the roads gunna be a LOT different than around in a job yard !!

Anyways, good to be back reading up on stuff here always enlightening for sure. Can't wait to just get the ball rolling down whatever path it may take....3 years 'til retiring to Asia, will fly by !

Posted:  1 month ago

NASCAR in Fontana

I too am a bit NHRA biased, my step dad raced in the 60's "run, what ya brung" stuff he ran a ford f100 truck, quit in 1967 when my sister was born. Plus back then it got too expensive for him raising 5 kids etc. We spent many a weekend at the track in Irwindale, and at the 605 oval track sometimes....lol I make my beetles go fast hahahaha Well, when I can lay down 3 gears of solid black posi marks then a 4th gear chirp like stock 1st, its fast for me.....Nascar was fun to watch in 70's because they had crashes ! Safety is a big concern yeah, but when everyone has to run the "exact" same engine designs, etc , it took the fun out of it too.

Posted:  1 month ago

Final Recap and Impressions of Roehl and Their Get Your CDL Program

On a positive note, reading stories like these here, has opened my eyes, since I started researching truck driving and coming here to TT. All the things NOT to do, I don't know it all, and probably never will, thats life.... I plan to go into this with an open mind, and soak up everything I can once in school, hopefully by the end of this month..... whewww , nervous a tad, sure as heck I am..... Even if I might have a little advantage over some at school, having been a diesel mechanic, and knowing what each part is, and its function ..... BUT I am always up to learning more of anything, each and everyday!

As time gets closer, I am a bit excited, and at the same time nervous. But I cannot wait to be out there learning , by doing. I plan to start with Werner, and stay with them at least 2-3 years, banking that loot, and beefing up my social security.....by 62 plan tyo be living in Asia enjoying the rest of my life there :) I hate jumping ship and starting at any new job! grrrrrr

And glad to be back here reading even more ;)

Posted:  1 month ago

Truck blown over in Amarillo

I live in the high desert of So Cal. Top of the Cajon Pass by the I-15 see that a lot down below in Fontana area of I-15 but they were parked when blown over onto their sides!! Had to be freaky getting flipped while moving jeeeeze!

Few times I saw 5-8 at one time laying on their sides! Probably not a fun mess to clean up with more than 1 turned over! This winter we have been having tons of high winds and rain! grrrr it can go away anytime now! Reminds me of my 3 months in Philippines! Oct 2016-Jan 2017, it rained every day for most of that time there !! 3 days was most without rain, soon as mud dried it rained! hahahaha

Can't wait to live there haha

SS card?

Dealt with that issue at AZ-DOT for a state I.D. card lol ((Arizona residents do NOT have to have the chipped DL's / ID's until 2020))

I was not going to get an Arizona drivers license. They would not accept my "original" birth cert from the hospital from 1959 no seal? My mom never sent in the $1.00 for it , now inflation, it's $25.......Yet, U.S. Navy accepted it in 1977(a photo copy no less) BUT AZ-DOT, did accept my DD-214? still has NO damn seal...I guess they figure, only I would have that paper? lol

Dumb, anyway, just got my app for a NEW B.C., so I can proceed to get a passport next!..........Kinda tweaked me, having to give Calif MORE $$ When I don't even live there hahahaha. It is what it is I guess

I laminated my social security card soon as I got it when I was 13, never had an issue with it being so???

'Violent' criminal history and getting hired as a truck driver?

Just a little input RE: Chemical driving. Long time family friends, the dad drove asphalt dumps etc over 30 years, he got cancer, which finally did him in after years of dealing with it..........Their middle son, drove cement mixer trucks for eh maybe 20+ years, he got Esophagus / Throat cancer, and he never smoked a day ever. He was 53, recently died from that QUICK, (under 1 year) acting illness......My thinking is constantly breathing the dust and or the chemical mix of either substance contributed to their untimely deaths........Makes me definitely, not want to ever considering those 2 jobs!

Tailgaters

Same as the "Myth" running your pick up tail-gate down on the highway saves gas Baloney. Science proved it works better, with your tail gate up. An air bubble / turbulence fills up the bed, acting like a cover lol Been few years since I read that article....

US Passports

Plan to get both, the book and card, as I'm planning a little 2-3 month vacation to the Philippines, in October, is the plan........... Sucks I need to send Calif $25 for a "new" fancy certified Birth Certificate, since my mom didn't pay the 1 whole Dollar for it in 1959............... Yet the US Navy accepted the original I have in 1977, go figure! lol.......Don't even live in Calif and they get more $$ out of my pocket!

Helpful youtube for mechanical stuff?

Well Rainy, you learned 2 new things today out of that experience....Too much grease is not always a good thing, and old stuff needs removed every so often. Most lube guys don't have a clue and goober tons of grease on the 5th wheels! Without cleaning off the old hard, dry gunk.

Air tanks, auto-drain, or not, still collect lots of water from condensation, on the bottom of them tanks (where the drain valve is!) And you seen what happened, water got spread thru out the air brake system, lines, air & check valves, etc causing brake issues.......Expect "maybe",later down the road, brake can diaphram, or 2, begin to fail as well, (Still could be awhile for that) just another bad thing from that water, not being drained :)

Class B Trucks

Craigslist probably your best bet is my guess

Posted:  3 years ago

California...Driving experience..recent CDL

Waste Managements a good suggestion (#1 waste hauler in the world), having worked for them 8 years back in the '90's. They do have roll-off class A trucks , and not very demanding in the way off loading up and dropping off the bins / boxes good-luck.gif

Posted:  3 years ago

May start instructing next month!

Wow, I am always totally amazed reading some of these topics. Especially when they say "I wasn't getting paid" for this or that , it aint right??? WTF?? Almost every job I ever had in my lifetime, involved maybe some free work "unpaid" time............Don't matter what job really , sometimes it happens, do it and forget it. NEXT !................

1 my last job over a 10 year stretch I went over and beyond what i got paid for, helping my boss do extra stuff for the job. sometimes getting home 10-11 pm at night from a 7 am start time. We had an auto repair shop, and were the top U-Haul dealer, in the high desert. We chased trucks & trailers, after hours all over the place, so we had any equipment our schedule may need the following week/days. Usually I was first to work open and prep for the day, and close at end of the night. Sometimes I'd work weekends renting U-Haul stuff for a few perks or bucks......Yeah I got free dinner usually, or later on somehow, it was made up to me in other ways. A full tank of gas in my truck etc.................

I was brought up to help when needed, and don't always expect anything in return...............Period............Git'r'dun lol