Comments By Calkansan

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/red-pete-2.jpg avatar
  • Calkansan
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Long over due up date

I will chime in. I drove for May for 2 1/2 years. I was dispatched out of Brooks doing 48. Bretts suggestions are spot on but here are some company specific things I would do. 1) I would send eta to con on the Qualcomm in free-form message. This lets your DM start working on next load. Also mention it during live load call. I would joke and ask if I could deliver early, drop in yard, or switch with another driver limited on hours. Say, "I hope you are not going to have your best driver sitting on this load. I'm out here to make you money. Your paycheck won't be as big if I am sitting " lol. 2) another thing I did. If in a yard without a preplan, I would go look at bol's on dropped trailers. Write down 3 or 4 trailer #'s and send Qualcomm to find out if they are dispatched. I did that in Denver. Surprise, planners didn't have 1 dispatched to Carthage, so I got it. It lead to a 4 pu load around little rock going to boise. Planners thanked me with extra $25 because that trailer got lost in system and I delivered on time. These are just 2 things I did. Communication is the key. Let DM know when available and how many hours you have. Are you west 11 or 48? I ran 48. Fewer drivers in 48 so less competition for loads. Longest I have sat was maybe 24 in Payette waiting for Coors load to arrive so I could repower to get home. PS. Golden state loads you will sit on. Contract to valuable and planners don't want to drop ball with them. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Are my expectations realistic??

Yes it is realistic starting. As a rookie, your goal should be around 2000 miles/week. 2000 x 4 x .40=3200 gross. As you gain more experience, you can be turning 2500-3000/week safely. The important part is developing a can do attitude with your DM and planners. Be their "go to guy". That's how you become a top tier driver and make good money. Good luck.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Game: Rookie Unrealistic Expectations

As a former trainer, the first question I asked trainees is, "what are your expectations and your goals in this industry." If I could dispel myths and give them a realistic view of what to expect, I could then help them achieve their goals and become successful drivers. Myth: don't I take a 34 every week to reset my 70 clock?

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

70 hour rule question

Exactly. Now you're thinking recaps. You have 27 hours to run 28.5 hour load. You won't legally be able to deliver until 0200 on the 19th. Of course that time depends on the time zone your logs are on. Mine are set to PST. On the east coast, I don't get recaps until 0300 local time. Best advice, have DM contact customer service and reschedule delivery time. Or turn down load because of HOS. Good luck.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

70 hour rule question

28.5 hours drive time from sac to storm lake at 60 mph. (1700 miles) 3pm leave drive 11, shutdown 2:30 am on 17th. Break 10, leave 12:30pm, drive 11 and shutdown midnight 18th. Break 10, leave 10am. Arrive at consignee at 4:30 pm on 18th. That is perfect scenario. My best eta I would tell my DM is 9pm on 18th to allow for fueling, pre-post trips, bathroom stops. That is really pushing it.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Will I learn everything about every control inside a truck?

"May you get into this industry and find yourself with nothing but US Cold Storage and Americold runs with a dispatcher that fights layover and detention pay requests."

Now that's just COLD (-10 continuous). lol. :)

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

13 speed trans question.

When downshifting, I double down when I am coming to a stop. I go 8H-8L (50mph), then 7L(30-35), 6L, clutch in and come to stop. 6L is around 20mph. Double down around 900rpm. When climbing, I single down around 1000 to 1100 rpm. Be aware engines are different. Hopefully this is "guide" to help. The more you drive your truck, the more in tune you will be with it. I hope this helps.

Posted:  2 years ago

College or Truck Driving.

With student loan debt so prevalent today, I would recommend driving for a few years to save the money to pay cash for college. Graduate college late 20's with no debt and you are way ahead of your peers.

Posted:  2 years ago

First run

GOAL........every time. Never assume that the path is clear.

Posted:  2 years ago

Hi everyone new here, intro and a few questions

The above links are great. Here is my personal opinions. 1) it wouldn't hurt 2) you will learn basic operation of the truck in school (pretrip). Any repairs are done by company. Mostly has to do with warranty. Most stuff I have done is change light bulbs on tractor or trailer. 3) I pull reefer. It becomes white noise that is constant. I sleep better with reefer on than dry loads. Plus, running reefer loads, I get longer runs. Growing season in cali is year round. 4) as an untested driver, the company probably won't let you take tractor home. Think about this. .... if you take it home and any damage occurs, you are responsible. If in the yard, the company is. I like the piece of mind that comes from leaving it in the yard. You can usually take hometime any where in the country. The key is asking. 5) I have Verizon 6) get inverter and have company install correctly. 2000 watts should be sufficient. Folding table to cook outside cab. Let me know when dinner is ready. I hope the information helps.

Posted:  2 years ago

What are a truck driver's best defense against possible criminal acts against them while on duty?

Darn. Studying for HM endorsement and missed the thread. In california, if you have your license over a year and want to add endorsement, you have to take all the tests again. Sucks. Oh well, back to the high road.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Help from those knowledgeable in California CDL testing procedures

I don't think you have any worries. I have my cdl through the Redding office 2 1/2 years ago. I received my permit and endorsements before I started school. The school scheduled me at the dmv for first appointment. It happened to be 6 weeks away. It gave me plenty of time to work on pretrip and skills. Each office is different. I would call the office where you are scheduled to test and confirm. Then you know for sure. The unknown is stressful enough. Good luck.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

How to Land the Best Truck Driving Jobs

2 examples of big dog thinking; 1) last load 750 miles. PU weds 1200, deliver 1500 Friday. I call dm. Can I drop in yard and have local deliver so I can keep running? He replies, drop in yard by noon on thurs, deliver a local load (43 miles) and I will make sure you have a good load Friday. Ok, done. Thanks to my dm, I am on a 2100 mile run. I should finish week with 3100. 2) I bought pizza for my dm and had delivered. But instead of 1 pie, I ordered 5. Now all the dm's know my name and truck #. I have been driving for 2 1/2 years. My first year I made 48k. My goal was 35. I have learned the system and apply it to my advantage. My starter company is still the company I work for. It is a good fit for me. I can't imagine doing otr for another company. I'm curious, can anyone name a company that is not in business to make a profit. A worker can only be exploited if they allow it. I wish you the best of luck.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Hair follicle test

I did 8 ua's my first year. I was the lucky "guy" whose number kept coming up. Having been in Christian education for previous 15 years, I wasn't worried. Don't do it and beware of being around friends who might tempt you.

Hello, from Boise, Idaho, America!

I drive for may and they have a guarantee pay option. Also a plus, they have a yard in Payette. Information is knowledge and knowledge is power.

Tanker Driver

Beware of the "surge"

Higher Ground

Hey Daniel, how do you like working for williams? I ask because I have been doing OTR for 2 1/2 years now and am thinking being home every night is sounding pretty good. Thanks.

Higher Ground

Day One by Matthew West

Game: GPS gaffes

GPS is always fun around construction. In Dallas, my gps always thinks I am off the interstate and tries it's best to reroute me back. My advice to new drivers, always follow company directions until you know the area really well. Use Google maps, earth, and gps. They are all tools to help you become a better driver.