Comments By Andre R.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/show-truck2.jpg avatar
  • Andre R.
  • Comments:

Trailer pull

I'm with terry I had one at school do this The instructor called it crab walking.

Shiney new CDL

It's official. I passed my final test Saturday and this after I now have a brand new shiny cdl in my possession.

Final test.

Thanks I sure will. This site have been a huge asset and very thankful to have it as a tool and place to just enjoy reading.

Final test.

Started my weekend on a good note. Yesterday I went and took my hazmat double/triple and tanker endorsement test. Passed all three on the first try. This morning was our final driving pretrip and backing test. Passed all three. Look out world here I come. Its no longer safe to walk on the sidewalk lol. Thanks everyone here for all the advice. I'll be heading to covenant along with a fellow student from school on the 18th of May.

Company selected.

Thanks Robert it wasn't easy as with every recruiter out there every.or should I say most Look really good at first. It took me a while to settle on what I found important and I'm hoping I've made the right choice.

Company selected.

I'd like to thank everyone along my journey here that answered all of my questions. I've decided to join covenant transportation as my first company. Several reasons came into play. First off was the earning potential. Second was as a rookie I felt it would be wise to team drive even if it was with another rookie. The fact that I will have a spotter to help back company on the road to help adjust to this new lifestyle. Was part of my reasoning. I will be teaming up with another rookie who I am graduating driving school with. We feel that it is the best decision for both of us and could not come up with any cons other then living in such a small space with someone Else

Not gonna lie... What The F%*K did I get into?

I feel your pain. Of the three backs we are doing the offset is the biggest challenge for me. I cannot judge nor do I trust what I'm seeing on the mirror.

Ok folks need some insight.

It is 100 percent driver unload which I don't mind my fat butt can use the exercise.

Ok folks need some insight.

I've been offered a position with Werner. This position is what they are calling a regional dedicated run. Its Louisiana Arkansas Texas Oklahoma Kansas Colorado New Mexico and I think Arizona. It has a guaranteed minimum pay of its per week. 2 weeks out 2 days home. This accounts runs dollar tree dollar General and family dollar. Is this a decent gig as this will be my first company is this worth it or is there something better out there that I haven't found yet.

Health insurance

I've actually spoke with them but the do not hire from Louisiana.

Health insurance

With school nearing an end I have been researching many companies. I've come to notice that the health insurance is very pricy compared to what I'm use to. My question to you is I've noticed that most of the companies the insurance is near the same price cost wise. With the exception of the one company that I'm really interested in. How many of you have actually shopped the open market for insurance as opposed to company insurance and are you finding it cheaper with the company or on the market?

US Xpress Enterprizes?

Depending.on your experience level and location you may even be forced to run teams with them

Looking for honest opinions

Of here goes it. I'll be finishing up school the first week of May. I've done my research and truly want to drive flatbed. I have my concerns and I'll lay them out to you. I am a big guy about 330 pounds. With that said I'm not sloppy im built like a nfl lineman. I was a police officer for about 15 years and was always this size. I also have a fear of heights. I concerned that flatbed and I may not be a match made in heaven. I like the fact that it will force me to get off of me butt and do some physical labor getting me the exercise I truly could use. However I'm worried that with my size I may actually be a little too out of shape and too big for this position. With this in mind please know that I have 5 racers of land and maintain it on my own I do my share of physical labor but with being a big guy who mind you is fairly agile I'm doubting myself. So With all of that said I am asking.g you to be brutally honest with your thought of my ability from what I've told you.

Company bashing

Did anyone get the lot lizard special?

Company bashing

You wouldn't be the first one! I've found various websites selling the PDF version of my book over the years as if they owned it. They just bought a copy and put it up on their website for sale.

That's sad that they feel the need to steal what easily turns out to be free if you read it here. As for the company I mentioned earlier in this thread. Once again I received a call from them. 43 minutes of more bashing mixed with bits and pieces of knowledge of the company. I finally cut him off and advised him either tell me what he had to offer or we needed to end the call. Sadly the cal ended.

Company bashing

Regardless how the information made it to this site I have seen both positive and negatives about a company here however it is ALWAYS done tastefully and not in a manner to degrade the company. I personally feel that this is one of if not the most informative site I have found with regards to researching this industry as well as getting a great deal of advice.

Company bashing

I agree with all of your replies. I'm not one to name names but I'll be honest here. The company I spoke with I have heard nothing but favorable things about. The recruiter asked how I came to apply to them and I advised him it was via the application process here. He laughed. Began to say oh yeah trucking truth you will never find anything negative on any company that advertises there. I listened as he went on about this forum and bashed it as he was bashing swift Werner Schneider heartland and several others. He went on to say how the other companies Rob their drivers out of miles their sliding pay scale and per diem were all scams that these companies run. Sadly he never once mentioned anything about his company good or bad. He told me he was in the accounting dept and that at the end of his day he went over to recruitment to help out. I feel that this while only the view point of one person he is representing that company. I also feel that if he had to waste 35 minutes of my time downing other companies this forum and couldn't tell me one reason as to why I'd want to drive for Celadon Then I'd rather not drive for them. This guy is the face of Celadon in my opinion at this point and if he will do that about the companies out there what else would he do to get me in that seat?

Company bashing

I'm totally shocked. I just spoke with a major national carrier and the entire time he kept naming numerous companies and trashing them. He told me all about the law suits Of other companies he did this to about 6 or 7 large carriers. I don't care if the company paid me 1.00 a mile guaranteed me 10000 miles a week I'd never work for this company. To me this is beyond low. What ever happened to being a PROFESSIONAL

Guaranteed minimum pay promise

I've been in contact with two major carriers. One of the has a home daily and weekends run available in my area. Another has a out two to three weeks home two or three days which is a regional run. Both of these positions offer a guaranteed minimum base salary. One is 650 and the other is 850 a week. Is something like this worth my looking into. These also offer the potential to earn more per week but this is the minimum you will be paid. This all seems good but as we all know if it's seems too good to be true it usually is. I'd like your opinion and input on this please.

Retired or ex-cops becoming truck drivers

I am currently still in school. Tomorrow is the start of weekend three of an eight weekend course. So far it has been pretty good. I've gotten one prehire which has an extra condition on it that I can show 30 days compliant with a cpap. Its with a flat bed company. I think I scored gold as it advertises 52k average which I'm slightly doubtful of considering that seems high for a rookie but it's also a dedicated run for a major home improvement store home nightly as well as weekend. So you can see why I'm leary of the salary. As for being former LEO it has already paid off. I took the permit test and some of the things weren't covered in class but from past experiences and common sense I missed only a few questions. Also when out on the truck it also helps I already know when backing not to panic keep calm and think it through. So I'd say it's a good thing. Also the one company who is willing.to accept me was very pleased with my background as a police officer.