Profile For PanamaExpat

PanamaExpat's Info

Cleveland, GA

Preparing For School

4 years, 8 months ago

PanamaExpat's Bio

Just an older guy making my way through life one new adventure at a time.

Wyoming I-80 east and westbound multi car n truck crash

Seeing that just left me speechless. How many trucks? How many dead? Who was at fault?

Thought I had seen some terrible accidents over the years but this one takes it all. Seeing it on a tiny little video was something . Imagine what it would be like to be there.

2 week notice with Schneider

No one should fault a man for wanting to better himself. That said... Make certain that the local you are looking at is a stable option. Your trepidation is understandable but it is your life, your future, and overall your happiness in your new career that matters most.

Trainer troubles

Only 10 more days? Bear with it man. What you are dealing with now is just the tip of the iceberg as to what you will face when you get out one the road.

I can't drive 55

How sticky are they on that 55 in Cali? They don't let you slip 5 MPH over?

What makes a load "Good"?

No such thing as a bad load... Just some better than others. I agree with Ricks post above.

Video of Crazy Marten driver roadrage

That trailer number stands out really well. Sure he won't be too happy by Monday afternoon.

Deadly Truck Tires - CBS News

Wonder how many of those commenters could actually pass the qualifications to be allowed behind the wheel in the first place?

Practice Test Phone App

Thanks Brett:

It isn't an old phone bought last August and it is running Andriod 4.2.2. I was just wondering if you had set a USA only limitation on the app. I'll be moved back in a couple more weeks God willing and am already set up to get into Daly's Truck Driving School in Georgia. Was hoping to get a jump on the process... I'll use the link you provided.

Thanks for the reply.

Practice Test Phone App

Brett: Can't install the practice app. Says no eligible devices found. When I open the dialog box it shows my past three phones and when I select the current phone a Samsung GT-S7582L. I think it is saying it can't be installed i my devices country. But the dialog does not word wrap.

Can you please take a look at this? I would very much like to install the app.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I have often wondered why anyone would consider a career in trucking and then be mostly concerned about home time? I also am in the same line of questioning as Robert. Didn't you agree to drive for Celadon for a year? Not living up to your word won't do you any favors looking for future employment.

I want one....

This looks interesting. I'll bet if it ever goes to production though it will be very pricey Freightliner Supertruck

Old school movie - Moonfire

I had forgotten just how bad movies really were back then. LOL

ASA Skills Gap Index Identifies 167 Hard-to-Fill Jobs

This is completely off topic but your avatar gif is absolutely hysterical. Made my morning.

In an accident today

Tough break man... Keep us informed.

Problems With My Company Truck

I think I'd be pulling into the next open scale and parking the truck, go inside and ask a dot inspector if you voluntarily have the truck checked if you would get a ticket for the out of service problems the truck has. That way dot can put the truck out of service and force the company to deal with it. You don't want to be working for a company like that anyway.

Let's play devil's advocate. As a person that has had many employees over the years I am seeing a pattern it the OP's postings. He says he left his last company over the truck having safety issues. We're on with a new company and now this truck has safety issues. From an employer's viewpoint I am starting to see a whiner. As an employer if there is one thing I can't stand it is a whiner. I'll admit that if the truck were picked up as a recovery as the owner of the truck it should have been run through the shop for a checkout and repair of any problems found.

As for your truck having no oil pressure at idle... If it were a serious issue you would already have connecting rods sticking out through the side of engine block. A little icy patch on your windscreen... So what? It's freakin' winter time. If the company tell you to keep running... you are already on thin ice from my perspective. Keep running and tell them it needs to be shopped for maintenance and have the mechanics look at your issues while you are in terminal.

As an employer if you abandon my property I'll straight up see you never drive for anyone ever again. If you voluntarily pull into a DOT facility and have the truck tagged as out of service I hope you have money in your pocket in order to find your way home. Also plan on never working in the industry again.

Sadly reading many of these posts by greenhorn drivers I see a lot of you that need to realize... Living on the road ain't a bowl of cherries.... STOP WHINING. SUCK IT UP AND DO THE JOB YOU WERE HIRED FOR!

OCONUS Driving

Getting tossed in jail for a very minor traffic accident is a real possibility here in Latin America. I have not had any problems but I know several expats that spent up to a week trying to get things sorted for an accident when it wasn't even their fault. Not speaking the local language and the fact that if you are American it draws an immediate target on your wallet. Can you say BRIBES anyone?

SPOOKY BRIDGES

Crossing the Bridge of the Americas even in a four wheeler is scary enough. I could only imaging doing it with any amount of traffic in an 18 wheeler. Find the worst driver you have ever seen in the states... ramp that up 150% on the conservative side and you have the average Panamanian driver. You all have no idea how sane it is driving in the USA.... seriously... and I hear you complaining. LOL

Border opens to Mexican trucks

Living in Panama I can tell you that the state of tractor/trailer rigs here is deplorable at best. You don't want to get too close to one. Most have no brakes and the people that drive them.... well that's another story altogether. Mexico is more of the same or even worse. I would lay serious doubt on it that more than 2% of all Mexican trucks could ever pass a US inspection as ridiculous and restrictive as the rules here are. Personally as I speak the language I could drive Mexico but would never do it without a firearm close by. I would happily operate in Canada whenever I would be asked too. Good reason all of you should have your passports.

HEAR ME roar! What's Happening So Far!

The name changes... Makes sense but still I think that sometimes what I read for the requirements are completely unrealistic. Good luck to you Mikki and please keep us up to date on your progress. Would really enjoy hearing about your experiences.

HEAR ME roar! What's Happening So Far!

Seems some of the things they ask for are kind of ridiculous... why do they need marriage and divorce papers? I am applying for a job to hold a steering wheel not launch nuclear warheads. Way over the top requirements kind of amazing they can actually hire anyone.