Comments By Weatherman

https://henrystrongingoldberg.blogspot.com/bill_the_cat.gif avatar
  • Weatherman
  • Comments:

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

Land surveyor and technician for a small company in GA. When the housing market went to hell, so did our company. 5 years of tromping through the woods and mountains got me in great shape. Before that worked 14 years for Ace Hardware Corp in one of their warehouses. And for 28 years I worked full/part time as a radio announcer,PA announcer for 2 local high schools and colleges for their sports teams, and game official. I'm also a certified weather spotter/chaser.

Best and worst cities for trucking traffic?

Atlanta, GA, Washington, DC, and Houston, TX are tops on my list as worst. As far as the best? Buford, Wyoming, exit 335 on I-80. Officially smallest town in US, population 1. LOL.

Trucking and deer hunting

Funny how reading the title to a thread paints a picture in your mind even before opening and reading it....

Every time I see this thread in the list .... "Trucking and deer hunting" I think to myself... "I hope he does not mean to hunt & drive at the same time?" shocked.png

I mean, where would you store your haul... in the sleeper? good-luck.gifwtf-2.gif

Any deer hunter knows that the kill goes on the hood. dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

What NOT to do at a truck stop

Seems like you fellas missed the point I was trying to get across, which is, Don't be a jerk to other drivers. We have enough things to deal with each day during our job. I do everything I possibly can out here to not get angry and frustrated, because when that happens, accidents follow. Those sayings, "Don't worry, be happy" and "Be nice....", apply well to our industry. thank-you.gifdancing-banana.gif

What NOT to do at a truck stop

So I'm attempting to 90 degree back in a tight area at the Pilot in Tifton, GA last night. Not a lot of room because the line at the Blue Beacon is very backed up. So I roll past the open spot and get my truck ined up. Suddenly, a driver comes around the corner and stops in front of me. Lights right in my face. I've got another truck behind me with his lights on, basically blinding me. I politely ask on the radio, "Please, turn off your lights for a minute and I'll be out of your way." What happens next almost set me off. Driver in front of me PULLS FORWARD almost into my truck!?!? Driver behind me turns off his lights, giving me enough vision to work into the parking spot. While I'm maneuvering into the spot, driver in front continues to pull forward. By now, my co-worker, whom I'm parking beside, has walked up to the moron....ummm, driver.....in front to find out what his problem seems to be. Says he's in a hurry, in which my coworker advises him he should realize he's getting close to "having a bad day." Anyways, a lesson in courtesy to drivers- please don't be a jerk. We all have enough things to deal with out here without dealing with each other. Dealing with stupidity makes me angry.....very angry indeed. thank-you.gif

What is on your 'must have' list

The only "luxury item" I had to have was Sirius XM satellite radio. If your company allows it (some don't for rookies), a CB radio is a must. Nothing fancy, just operational. A good pair of gloves for fueling, etc. I also carry a small DVD player for downtime. And a glad hand air hose hookup line for keeping tires properly inflated.

Truck Drivers Road Music... favorite songs for favorite stretches of highway

Showing my age a bit but I always thought of Arizona, by Rex Allen Jr, crossing that state and Charlie Pride's, Roll On Mississippi anytime I crossed the river. Of course, Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama works well there. KISS' Detroit Rock City for entering that ****hole.

Truck Drivers Road Music... favorite songs for favorite stretches of highway

Great thread! Agree with Bob Segar at anytime. Against The Wind is my personal favorite. Don't Look Back by Boston and Jackson Browne's Running On Empty are hard to beat. I've got such a diverse list of music on my phone (from Dream Theater to Yanni to Carrie Underwood to Gordon Lightfoot, etc etc) plus the mandatory Sirius XM Satellite that music constantly plays in the Weatherman's KW. dancing-dog.gif

My Fancy Swift Truck

A question about the seats in this KW. The arms are locked up and rotated behind the seat back. How do I unlock them? I can't find any instructions about the seats.

(The up & down was easy. Even reclining. But this arms!)

Try pushing up on the arm rests. My KW has moveable arm rests like you describe. Should unlock and then rotate to the side of your chair.

Well, that was short & sweet . . .

Prayers for your speedy recovery, Jopa. Enjoy your unique "insights" on this forum. smile.gif

What is the weirdest/coolest/interesting Freight you have hauled?

Guess mine goes in the "weird" category, but for the small company I worked for once hauled a single piece of equipment for a poultry processing plant from North Georgia to Mt Vernon, Washington (2773 miles). Part weighed 695 lbs and I carried it in a brand new 53' rental trailer. Just for fun we strapped the item in the center of the trailer so there would be no weight issues. And to top the trip off, I drove all the way back EMPTY. At least my boss paid all miles. Did the same thing with another piece weighing 945 lbs to Petaluma, California as well. At least I had a backload on that trip. smile.gif

Trucker Humor: Trucking Company Name Acronyms

SWIFT - Single White Illiterate Farm Trucker

JB HUNT - Just Back Home Until Night Time

WERNER - Where Every Recruit Needs Every Restraint

KLLM - Kinky Little Love Monkey or Kant Leave Lower Mississippi

T mobile reliable phone service to have over the road?

I have AT&T and have rarely had any issues with coverage. Its worth the extra money when you're crossing South Dakota.

Your success is ALL about YOUR attitude!

You mean wrestling is not real?

Ice road truckers is not real?

Oh man this is really gonna mess up my day, I am soooo disappointed now. Here all this time I've been really getting into this stuff, and Weatherman comes along and just ruins everything for me! Thanks for nothing Weatherman! It was a heartless blow you've rendered to me, and it's gonna take me a while to get over it.

At least I still know that those other reality shows are not scripted, that provides a little relief to me. I mean they can't call them reality when they are not can they?

LMAO!!! Sorry to ruin your day, OS. dancing-banana.gif

Your success is ALL about YOUR attitude!

Keep in mind fellas that its mostly scripted reality TV. Yes your point is valid about having a good attitude, but, its also "Give the people what they want to see." Kinda like wrestling. smile.gif

Driving for entertainment company

What's WWE?

That would be World Wrestling Entertainment, formerly known as the WWF.

Another Interesting Gadget

Noob question here: So the stated reason for the device is to tell you when you are all loaded/unloaded and saves you time. If you are sleeping in your cab, will someone knock on the door rendering the device useless? Is the need to keep your eye on the light unnecessary? What am I missing that makes this so useless?

Most places will let you know when you're loaded/unloaded via phone call, person coming out to your truck, a device similar to what you would get at a restaurant waiting for a table, etc. I'm with Brett on this though. Yeah it might be handy to some but I agree the price tag is steep for a service most facilities provide for free.

Another Interesting Gadget

Actually spoke to this guy in a TA in South Carolina this morning. Might be of interest to some.

www.dudad.net

Apologies, can't get the link to post right. Anyways, I thought it was an interesting idea. Says he hopes to have it in production within a couple weeks.

Unbelievable.......

Lol. I'm certainly not naive at all. Just simply making an observation about how disappointed I was about my situation. I wasn't asking for help and didn't expect anyone to stop. Just found it odd. Oh well, no big deal. I'll keep doing things the way I was raised. Be safe out there all.

Unbelievable.......

Appreciate the good thoughts folks but I think my post got misunderstood somewhat. Pat M hit it on the head as to where I was going with my rant. Although I've only been driving 5 years, I've been around trucking most of my life, so a lot of my expectations are Old School based. I never pass a truck that's stopped on the shoulder without at least asking if they need help. I understand drivers not running CB's and such, but it just boggles my mind that NOT ONE PERSON even made that call to me. No, my life wasn't in danger and I had help on the way, but I just can't believe it. Guess I should continue to lower my expectations of the human race. LOL. By the way, rest assured I WILL NOT pass you by on the shoulder without checking on you. confused.gif